steve johnson talks moving slow

cmjoyce113

It was very likely the first time money was talked. It's very common that the two sides were far apart at this part. It's very unusual for a team to re-sign two players to significant contracts within a couple weeks of each other unless they are under the gun (like when FA is starting).

There is no real hurry or worry right now. The Bills will want to wait until the season starts before they put a real dollar figure on how high they want to go. This report, to me, is no worry whatsoever, and we're signing Stevie Johnson, probably before the season ends. I'm very confident of that.

Exactly - did anyone even read the link? "Buffalo traded proposals with receiver Steve Johnson, but those sides are nowhere near a deal at this point, sources said."

That's how contracts work (and yes, I negotiate athlete contracts on occasion) - you say "we offer this" and they say "ohhhhh, noooooo, we want THIS". You go back and forth and meet somewhere in the middle...

It's not a first round contract negotiation bust yet. Let's give it a few (several?) weeks and see where we are before we write Stevie's contract off.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What dreamland do you live in? It is ALL about the money... Johnson will go wherever he gets paid the most

Frankly, unlike many on here, I do not live in the land of constant nightmarish mirages. The panic some are allowing to occupy their time because two sides are at the initial stages of negotiations for a future contract is not worthy of a moment's consideration.

Yes, we all know that Johnson will not accept a contract that is for less than his value in the NFL but I do believe that he will accept a offer from the Bills' that is appropriate for a wide-out with his level of production last year and more than likely over the first half of this season even if it means the contract is for less than what he might get in free agency. Some players do have team and community loyalty, just imagine what Kyle Williams would have been able to receive if he had gone to free agency.

So, I am going to return to the land of optimism and positive thought process because I would certainly hate to spend my days and nights being totally pessimistic about things I care about and negative about the individuals who cross my path.

So much for keeping your own, huh? If ralphie refuses to pay for FAs, and refuses to pay for our own guys, then where does that leave us?

Maybe we can trade stevie for a 6th before he gets too expensive so we don't risk losing Aiken or Roosevelt.

So what you are saying is the Bills should pay any amount any player wants? No negotiation? Just hand them a blank check? Don't you want to see if Steve Johnson can play like #1 before you make it rain?

And Ramius...READ MY POST! Take a second to understand what I said.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It was very likely the first time money was talked. It's very common that the two sides were far apart at this part. It's very unusual for a team to re-sign two players to significant contracts within a couple weeks of each other unless they are under the gun (like when FA is starting).

There is no real hurry or worry right now. The Bills will want to wait until the season starts before they put a real dollar figure on how high they want to go. This report, to me, is no worry whatsoever, and we're signing Stevie Johnson, probably before the season ends. I'm very confident of that.

And Kyle Williams is a much more proven commodity at this point. He deserved it long before Johnson did.

And just for fun: If Overdorf negotiates the contracts, why does Buddy have a number in mind?

Pretty sure Jeremy's point was exactly the opposite of MD's. Jeremy said Whitner and Poz wanted to be here and MD said they did not. How is that the same?

Personally my belief is that Poz wanted to be here and Whitner wanted to leave.

I don't believe either of them wanted to be here. Poz didn't like the 3-4, and he got an offer to go to a 4-3, he took it. I think Whitner wanted money, and he didn't get it either way. I believe he took a big dose of reality this off season in what his true worth is.

And just for fun: If Overdorf negotiates the contracts, why does Buddy have a number in mind?

I am speculating here - Buddy probably benchmarks the player, identifies the next best and next worst alternatives from a skills perspective. Overdorf looks at the salaries of these comparaables and sets a range of compensation for the contract. Then he negotiates with the agent.