Carrington Starter?

CSBill

I like the way you say that as I'm a bit confused. Can a 304 lb guy really be an outside linebacker in the NFL??

Depends on what you ask him to do. Last night on the radio broadcast Kelso said that Carrington will play a lot like Woodley where he'll be rushing the passer the vast majority of the time but when he is asked to play coverage his only real responsibilities will be to shove a receiver at the LOS and then drop back quickly and clog up a passing lane.

OK, did anyone notice that Kelsey didn't play last evening? Did he just get "Wally Pipp'ed"? :oops:

I think its time for the Carrington era to begin, he looks good out there. Kelsey is still a reliable player, but I think Carrington has start potential. What say you?

Kelsay is an OLB and Carrington is an end so he didn't get pipped. He was out due to eye surgery.

Has Kelsay lined up as a linebacker even once all preseason? Unless I'm terribly mistaken he's been a 4-3 DE the vast majority of the time he's been on the field.

That is his position according to the roster. I know he lines up on the line but that is as a 43 DE and Carrington is a 34 end So they aren't playing the same position nor is either won taking their jobs. So far the front 7 starting line up is:

DE Dareus

NT Williams

DE Edwards

OLB Kelsay

ILB Davis

ILB Barnett

OLB Merriman

So if any one is going to take Kelsays job it would Batten who although technically plays the weak side/joker is playing the best ball for OLBs and should get the starting nod.

That is his position according to the roster. I know he lines up on the line but that is as a 43 DE and Carrington is a 34 end So they aren't playing the same position nor is either won taking their jobs. So far the front 7 starting line up is:

DE Dareus

NT Williams

DE Edwards

OLB Kelsay

ILB Davis

ILB Barnett

OLB Merriman

So if any one is going to take Kelsays job it would Batten who although technically plays the weak side/joker is playing the best ball for OLBs and should get the starting nod.

And Brad Smith position on the roster is QB. He WILL play some WR. Carringtons position is listed as DE. He WILL play some OLB. Not sure what your point is. Chan is going to play the best players. If Carrington is a better OLB than Kelsey and Batten, he will play over them. You disagree because of whats listed on the roster?

You don't disagree that Kelsay has been an End all preseason long, and then you proceed to still list him as an OLB. confusing

Edit: point being that if they're not showing you they're preparing to use Kelsay as a 34 OLB, what does it matter what bb.com depth chart has to say about it? They seem to prefer Carrington and Batten in that role, rightfully so in my opinion.

Edited by Big Bad Boone

You don't disagree that Kelsay has been an End all preseason long, and then you proceed to still list him as an OLB. confusing

Edit: point being that if they're not showing you they're preparing to use Kelsay as a 34 OLB, what does it matter what bb.com depth chart has to say about it? They seem to prefer Carrington and Batten in that role, rightfully so in my opinion.

my point is Carrington is not taking Kelsays job, Carrington is an DE and will occasionally line up at OLB. As far as the starting line up goes it is as I stated and they have Kelsay as the starting OLB regardless of how they actually line up.

1 - Moats was injured unfortunately because he needs to show last year was a hint of his potential. He could be a surprise cut.

2 - I too am sick and tired by the anti- Kelsay rants!! To say he is one of the worst players in the league just reflects the lack of football knowledge the poster(s) has. Kelsay is a solid defensive end who will never be a superstar but is an asset on the field and in the clubhouse (respected by teammates and coaches both). He is not an OLB because he can't cover passes adequately.

That being said, I'd love to see Carrington start. He has a great upside and I loved the pick last year!! We are starting to see the majority of Nix' picks forming the nucleus of a Bills' team with potential. Not all will Pam out but I like what I see!

my point is Carrington is not taking Kelsays job, Carrington is an DE and will occasionally line up at OLB. As far as the starting line up goes it is as I stated and they have Kelsay as the starting OLB regardless of how they actually line up.

Edited:

Carrington started and played at OLB the entire first half. It was Kelsay's OLB position.

Batten started and played at OLB as well, in Merriman's spot.

Both backups looked good.

Edited by DrDareustein

Carrington started and played well in the Merriman position, not the Kelsay position. Battan played the Kelsay position. Kelsay can't cover either so Carrington could probably do as well as CK on passes (which is terrible), and he can definitely hold his own in the run game and as a rusher. But so far, Carrington has been playing the rush LB position and not the other side where Kelsay lines up. Carrington looked good out there though.

Thats not accurate, you have it backwards.

Carrington basically is playing as a 4-3 DE. He lines up in a down stance and I only saw him drop into coverage one time when he was out there (although I may have missed one), so he is basically playing like a 4-3 DE. At one of the after practice press conferences Gailey said that although Carrington is a good athlete he would be rushing the passer the vast majority of the times he lines up as OLB.

This is accurate, however on the depth chart in the game day program Kelsay is the one OLB starter and Carrington is the backup to Kelsay. They both play with their hand on the ground like 99% of the time, and rarely drop into coverage. They play more like DEs if you ask me, but at training camp Kelsay and Carrington did positional drills with the OLBs (Merriman, Batten, etc)

Has Kelsay lined up as a linebacker even once all preseason? Unless I'm terribly mistaken he's been a 4-3 DE the vast majority of the time he's been on the field.

He has his hand down but I believe to the Bills they are considering him an OLB. My guess is its a hybrid D of some kind with different responsibilities, but I would call it a 5-2 if you asked me.

Like I said above, its clearly not a true 34 like everyone is used to.

If Carrington is starting, then he has taken Kelsays job. They are in the same role. I dont think we have anyone behind those two, so cutting Kelsay isnt an option right now. :angry:

Kelsay may have trade value...he is a solid 4-3 defensive end

Hmmm, Evans got a 4th, Kelsay could draw what, a 38th rounder?

I thought it might have been backwards as well, but didnt have a replay or DVR to check

Ahhh, you mean the graphics the networks put up.

If the graphics say Kelsay is a linebacker but every play he's on the field his hand is in the dirt as a 4th lineman, then those graphics are wrong.

Usually in the 3-4, an OLB has his hand down.

I get your point about who is playing which OLB spot, and its a good point. But it doesnt matter what they are listed as. Using your clarification...

Carrington started and played at OLB the entire first half. It was Merriman's OLB position.

Batten started and played at OLB as well, in Kelsay's spot.

The good news is that we have a solid backup for Merriman in Carrington.

The other good news is that Batten looked good in Kelsay's spot so hopefully that is only a matter of time as well.

And even if the spots are swapped, I like the kids coming up.

NO WRONG AGAIN! You guys are misleading everyone who didnt see the game.

If you go back to last weeks game when Kelsay did play and Merriman was out, Batten was in Merrimans spot, Carrington played with the 2s primarily. This week both were out, Carrington played in the "DE" role and Batten in the "OLB" role (for lack of better terms)

Edited by Thoner7

NO WRONG AGAIN! You guys are misleading everyone who didnt see the game.

If you go back to last weeks game when Kelsay did play and Merriman was out, Batten was in Merrimans spot, Carrington played with the 2s primarily. This week both were out, Carrington played in the "DE" role and Batten in the "OLB" role (for lack of better terms)

Chill bro, I thought it might be backwards (as I said above), which is why I said in that post "Using your clarification"

It doesnt really matter, because BOTH backups played very well last night.

So Carrington did replace Kelsay last night, and hopefully will start over him.

Chill bro, I thought it might be backwards (as I said above), which is why I said in that post "Using your clarification"

It doesnt really matter, because BOTH backups played very well last night.

So Carrington did replace Kelsay last night, and hopefully will start over him.

Sorry wasnt trying to yell even though it was all caps, and I was typin that before your other post went up.

Yes Carrington played like a starter and Kelsay has never played like one. Still like to see Moats over Coleman at OLB though.

This is accurate, however on the depth chart in the game day program Kelsay is the one OLB starter and Carrington is the backup to Kelsay. They both play with their hand on the ground like 99% of the time, and rarely drop into coverage.

You were right. Carrington started on the strong side. They said he was going to replace Merriman and even in the official nfl gamebook it has Battan starting at Sam and Carrington at Jack. The first two plays he played strong, then on a passing down he switched with Battan. The Bills seemed to flop everyone of the DL and the LBs though, throughout the game.

Sometimes we even had three safeties in there, unless Scott was playing LB. Edwards moved inside a bit. It was really pretty interesting. I just watched some of the replay and there were a few plays when we had a 4-2-5 but three safeties instead of an extra corner, and it was on first down, not an obvious passing down.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

You were right. Carrington started on the strong side. The Bills seemed to flop everyone of the DL and the LBs though, throughout the game. Sometimes we even had three safeties in there, unless Scott was playing LB. Edwards moved inside a bit. It was really pretty interesting.

The Bills were doing this in the second half of last year too.

They have numerous players who can play interior or exterior D-line as well as guys who can play as down linemen or linebackers.

It is interesting, and confusing at times, to figure out what they're doing… hopefully for their opponents as well.

I still have no clue how some people can refer to Kelsey as a "reliable" player. Unless of course by reliable you mean we can rely on him to be the biggest liability on the whole freakin team year in and year out!!!! :wallbash: Kelsay is by far the worst player on the team and i would rather play with only ten defenders then have him play. Im being completely serious about that too its not a joke. Sometimes Kelsay is soooo F'n bad that he will block his own teammates by accident simply because he is such an idiot. Honestly it seemed like almost every big play or td the defense gave up last year was due to Kelsay and his ineptitude.

Carrington is a beast let him play Chan!!! :censored: KELSAY. im so tired of his bs. He is one of the worst players in the entire league

Look,

Kelsay is the NFL leader year in and year out in getting into the backfield one on one with the QB and missing the sack. If that isn't reliably bad and consistent I don't know what is. It really is astounding how many times the QB gets away from him and completes the pass or scrambles for a first down...

Just think how many times this has happened in the past few years...its 3rd and 8, the QB drops into the pocket, you see Kelsay coming around and closing in on the QB, you are all set to jump up and yell "SACKED!!!", and then miraculously somehow he misses the sack, the QB runs away and completes the pass for a first down, and you are left sitting there stunned as to how he could have possibly missed that sack, as you watch the replay of how he has the QB dead to rights and he doesn't make the play, as the announcers go on and on about what a great escape that was by the QB...

Its reliable, its consistent, but nobody said it was good....hahahaha

Edited by matter2003

Look,

Kelsay is the NFL leader year in and year out in getting into the backfield one on one with the QB and missing the sack. If that isn't reliably bad and consistent I don't know what is. It really is astounding how many times the QB gets away from him and completes the pass or scrambles for a first down...

Just think how many times this has happened in the past few years...its 3rd and 8, the QB drops into the pocket, you see Kelsay coming around and closing in on the QB, you are all set to jump up and yell "SACKED!!!", and then miraculously somehow he misses the sack, the QB runs away and completes the pass for a first down, and you are left sitting there stunned as to how he could have possibly missed that sack, as you watch the replay of how he has the QB dead to rights and he doesn't make the play, as the announcers go on and on about what a great escape that was by the QB...

Feeewfffffff I thought you were drunk after the first line

When they announce the STARTING LINEUP what do you think it will say?

Im sorry but that arguement is kinda weak.....you can have someone not on the starters list who plays a significant amount of time in a game.......

I just think it is a totally strange thing to have a 305 pound man playing OLB.....I dont know if I have every heard of that before.

Im sorry but that arguement is kinda weak.....you can have someone not on the starters list who plays a significant amount of time in a game.......

I just think it is a totally strange thing to have a 305 pound man playing OLB.....I dont know if I have every heard of that before.

Mario Williams........

I still have no clue how some people can refer to Kelsey as a "reliable" player. <...> Kelsay is by far the worst player on the team <...> He is one of the worst players in the entire league

I hate to say this, because Kelsey is unfortunately not a star or a top-15 player either as DE or LB

But he has been FAR from the worst player or one of the worst players in the league.

The hyperbole is not warrented, unless...are you Carrington's mom?

I have a question for anyone who thinks that Carrington should or will replace Kelsay as a starter... are you saying that you think Carrington should rush the passer instead of Shawne Merriman? Or that the Bills should rush five guys straight on every pass play? Because that is what would likely happen. Yesterday, they seemed to switch Battan and Carrington around, and Carrington would always rush and Battan would drop back and cover.

When Carrington is in, he's mostly playing a DE position. We seem to be playing a lot more 4-3 than 3-4. Dareus, Kyle and Edwards are the starters, and going to be rushing every play. Merriman should be as well. I don't at all mind Carrington in over Kelsay on first downs, or run downs, but I only saw him drop back into coverage a couple times and he looked quite sluggish. Not that Kelsay is good at it either. I have a feeling that teams would exploit Carrington more than they even would kelsay with short passes to backs and TEs.

I still have no clue how some people can refer to Kelsey as a "reliable" player. Unless of course by reliable you mean we can rely on him to be the biggest liability on the whole freakin team year in and year out!!!! :wallbash: Kelsay is by far the worst player on the team and i would rather play with only ten defenders then have him play. Im being completely serious about that too its not a joke. Sometimes Kelsay is soooo F'n bad that he will block his own teammates by accident simply because he is such an idiot. Honestly it seemed like almost every big play or td the defense gave up last year was due to Kelsay and his ineptitude.

Carrington is a beast let him play Chan!!! :censored: KELSAY. im so tired of his bs. He is one of the worst players in the entire league

+1,000,000% true

Look,

Funny part is that right after I read this was watching the NFL highlights of the Lions game and at at right about 52 seconds what do you think happens? Kelsay in pursuit of Shaun Hill who rolls right and hits a strike for a nice gain while Kelsay was still playing chase

For whatever it's worth, the Buffalo Bills' depth chart has Carrington listed as a backup LDE in a 3-4. This makes sense to me. Ideally the LBs in a 3-4 are supposed to be jacks of all trades; so that the offense is kept guessing about whether any given LB will rush the passer, drop back into coverage, or stay at home. A 300+ pound guy like Carrington isn't all that much of a threat to drop back into pass coverage.