Carrington Starter?

CSBill

Carrington was quite impressive. He will be tough to keep out of the lineup.

I like the way you say that as I'm a bit confused. Can a 304 lb guy really be an outside linebacker in the NFL?? Shouldn't we be playing a 4-3 with Carrington/Edwards as DE and Darius/Williams at DT? It seems to me that he's just too big to be a LB. Teams will game plan to exploit his lack of speed at that position.

I'm thrilled he's playing well and want to see him on the field. But, I'm sure that I'm showing my ignorance on this point...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelsay has not nearly been the worst player on the team for years. I don't mind some hyperbole, but to follow that with "Im being completely serious about that too" is just annoying.

I've been impressed with Carrington this PS too and think he's earned some snaps in real games.

I dont think Kelsay is near as bad as some let on as well......he is a steady guy who is not a playmaker, but jesus......a 305 pound linebacker that can move like that? If that works out that is a real feather in Nix cap.

I like the way you say that as I'm a bit confused. Can a 304 lb guy really be an outside linebacker in the NFL?? Shouldn't we be playing a 4-3 with Carrington/Edwards as DE and Darius/Williams at DT? It seems to me that he's just too big to be a LB. Teams will game plan to exploit his lack of speed at that position.

I'm thrilled he's playing well and want to see him on the field. But, I'm sure that I'm showing my ignorance on this point...

Nope. As time goes by, the game and players evolve. Guys who are playing Safety now, would've played LB in the 80s. For once, the Bills are building a bigger Defense and getting ahead of the curve.

You have guys such as Dareus who are 340lbs yet run sub-5 40s (4.9). Each generation brings bigger, stronger, faster guys. So far, from what we've seen on the field, Carrington can play OLB. Doesnt matter what it says on paper. The burden is on the coaches to make sure they dont make him drop into coverage or anything crazy like that.

Nope. As time goes by, the game and players evolve. Guys who are playing Safety now, would've played LB in the 80s. For once, the Bills are building a bigger Defense and getting ahead of the curve.

You have guys such as Dareus who are 340lbs yet run sub-5 40s (4.9). Each generation brings bigger, stronger, faster guys. So far, from what we've seen on the field, Carrington can play OLB. Doesnt matter what it says on paper. The burden is on the coaches to make sure they dont make him drop into coverage or anything crazy like that.

It is all about how the bills scheme their defense......there are some defensive packages where that OLB JUST rushes the passer....and if he has a TE over him Carrington has the strength not to let him off the line of scrimmage.....then its just a matter of everyone on defense understanding their zones.....OLB passes X receiver off to ILB in coverage or safety depending on scheme and zone

Keep in mind that while this receiver is running around trying to find the soft spot in teh defense our big nasties are bearing down on the QB in the pass rush

Kelsay has not nearly been the worst player on the team for years. I don't mind some hyperbole, but to follow that with "Im being completely serious about that too" is just annoying.

I've been impressed with Carrington this PS too and think he's earned some snaps in real games.

Who, what started, STILL on the team has been worse than Kelsay?

:unsure:

Carrington started and played well in the Merriman position, not the Kelsay position. Battan played the Kelsay position. Kelsay can't cover either so Carrington could probably do as well as CK on passes (which is terrible), and he can definitely hold his own in the run game and as a rusher. But so far, Carrington has been playing the rush LB position and not the other side where Kelsay lines up. Carrington looked good out there though.

Carrington started and played well in the Merriman position, not the Kelsay position. Battan played the Kelsay position. Kelsay can't cover either so Carrington could probably do as well as CK on passes (which is terrible), and he can definitely hold his own in the run game and as a rusher. But so far, Carrington has been playing the rush LB position and not the other side where Kelsay lines up. Carrington looked good out there though.

Your linebacker analysis is one of the more worthwhile bits of info on the board.

Who, what started, STILL on the team has been worse than Kelsay?

:unsure:

First off, Dute didn't say starter, he said

Kelsay is by far the worst player on the team and i would rather play with only ten defenders then have him play. Im being completely serious about that too its not a joke.

I thought Kelsay was much better and bigger impact than Stroud and Maybin last year to start with. I also thought he added much more to the team than Ellison, Corner or Youboty, Torbor, Coleman, our TEs, several players that played on our o-line, Spenser Johnson.... I'm not a big Kelsay supporter, but saying any starter is the worst player on the team (and really, I mean it, this is not a joke) is just absurd. He was one of our worse starters for sure.

Yes, you're right he's one of the worst starters still on the team. Those last three qualifiers are important (1. one of the worst 2. starter 3. still on the team)

I'm kind of low on Pears, Byrd, Corner and even Moorman (hesitate to put him here, but underwhelmed for last 1.5 yers) right now. I think playing in the 4-3 Kelsay is as good or better than the first three, though it's odd to compare across positions and Pears and Byrd are still getting better.

First off, Dute didn't say starter, he said

I thought Kelsay was much better and bigger impact than Stroud and Maybin last year to start with. I also thought he added much more to the team than Ellison, Corner or Youboty, Torbor, Coleman, our TEs, several players that played on our o-line, Spenser Johnson.... I'm not a big Kelsay supporter, but saying any starter is the worst player on the team (and really, I mean it, this is not a joke) is just absurd. He was one of our worse starters for sure.

Yes, you're right he's one of the worst starters still on the team. Those last three qualifiers are important (1. one of the worst 2. starter 3. still on the team)

I'm kind of low on Pears, Byrd, Corner and even Moorman (hesitate to put him here, but underwhelmed for last 1.5 yers) right now. I think playing in the 4-3 Kelsay is as good or better than the first three, though it's odd to compare across positions and Pears and Byrd are still getting better.

You just compared kelsay to stroud and maybin, buff said

Pretty sure Wally Pipp was forced out of the starting line up with injury too..

Yes, it looks like Carrington is ready to begin what hopefully will be a long, productive career. If so, he's another effective Channix draft pick.

Ah, yes . . . that's the point of the reference.

Actually, Wally had a headache and asked for the day off, so Lou Gehrig stared in his place that day, and the rest is history, 2000+ game starting streak record until Cal Ripkin broke it.

Edited by CSBill

He doesn't lack speed anymore than Kelsay does, he's a big dude but he's damn quick for his size. Lets face it, Kelsay is terrible in space.....Carrington has looked pretty good so far. He can't be any worse in coverage than CK and with his size he's going to at least be able to bat down a lot of balls. And just for the record, I'm not a Kelsay hater and I do think he has a place on this team. He actually played pretty well the second half of last year when they only used him as a DE in our 4-3 fronts, he was awful the first half of the year playing OLB. I know that he would be an expensive back up / situational player but you have to put the best players on the field.

You just compared kelsay to stroud and maybin, buff said

I'm not sure what argument you feel like you're winning or supporting. Are you saying Kelsay was the worst player on the Bills last year and you'd rather the defense plays with 10 players, really?

I don't think Kelsay is great, and wouldn't be shocked to see him get cut due to his salary. And, I'd love to see Carrington get more snaps with the starters, but am not sure he's replacing Kelsay. Batten too is showing good progress....

Purely based on current talent (ignoring salary) Kelsay belongs on the roster for sure. That said, I'm excited by the "kids" coming up on our defense and do think Kelsay's time with the Bills is starting to come to an end.

When they were both here, I liked Denney better than Kelsay. While not as strong, Denney had longer arms and was much better in coverage and at batting the ball.

I'm not sure what argument you feel like you're winning or supporting. Are you saying Kelsay was the worst player on the Bills last year and you'd rather the defense plays with 10 players, really?

I don't think Kelsay is great, and wouldn't be shocked to see him get cut due to his salary. And, I'd love to see Carrington get more snaps with the starters, but am not sure he's replacing Kelsay. Batten too is showing good progress....

Purely based on current talent (ignoring salary) Kelsay belongs on the roster for sure. That said, I'm excited by the "kids" coming up on our defense and do think Kelsay's time with the Bills is starting to come to an end.

When they were both here, I liked Denney better than Kelsay. While not as strong, Denney had longer arms and was much better in coverage and at batting the ball.

Well I'm in the unload kelsay department. He is not good at any position and I am not just talking last year, I am talking in his career.

Spencer Johnson is a better nickel rush de than kelsay and I think all our linebackers are better at linebacking than kelsay.

The locker room leader argument had some foundation last year but with the additions of Barnett, and Morrison to go along with Kyle, merriman, Wilson,

Davis, I don't think his so called "leadership" is worth keeping

We can replace his run defense with a flathead screwdriver and we will find someone who can't cover and averages 4 sacks a year

Carrington basically is playing as a 4-3 DE. He lines up in a down stance and I only saw him drop into coverage one time when he was out there (although I may have missed one), so he is basically playing like a 4-3 DE. At one of the after practice press conferences Gailey said that although Carrington is a good athlete he would be rushing the passer the vast majority of the times he lines up as OLB.