Levitre to compete for LT spot

Doc

And the Steelers aren't in desperation mode? They are the defending AFC champions who have a former Bills o-line castoff in Jonathan Scott as their starter and need a replacement to fill in for him while he is hurt.

The Bills are not a playoff team this year and a couple of washed up depth o-line players aren't going to change that. They may get them a few more wins this year, but still no playoffs. Might as well use this season to see what you have in Wang, Wrotto, and others in real game situations

That's a fair point, and I'm not sure I entirely disagree.

But I'm starting to think the long-term development of players is a thing of the past in the NFL. This will be Wang's second year, and so far in camp, he's shown nothing, as far as I know. If true, maybe you end the Wang experiment, cut him, and get an aging vet as a stop-gap for a year. The NFL is filled with imperfect teams; these stop-gap players are necessary to shore up weaknesses in the roster.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has already been discussed. Why dosent Gailey see what Jasper can do on the OL? We clearly have a pretty solid DL. Why not give it a shot, he playd OL in college.

I thought I read somewhere that this was being done? I don't recall what the results were. To me, he seems to be only available to play center or r/l guard. Outside on the line he is too slow, IMO.

Tim-

That's a fair point, and I'm not sure I entirely disagree.

But I'm starting to think the long-term development of players is a thing of the past in the NFL. This will be Wang's second year, and so far in camp, he's shown nothing, as far as I know. If true, maybe you end the Wang experiment, cut him, and get an aging vet as a stop-gap for a year. The NFL is filled with imperfect teams; these stop-gap players are necessary to shore up weaknesses in the roster.

Sure, the current NFL is a "win now" "What have you done for me lately" league where there are quick turn arounds and short attention spans/patience from fans. But thats not what this front office wants to do. They don't want the "quick fix" which usually only results in a year or 2 of success and the another rebuild/re-tuning of the roster. It also helps being only a year or 2 away from being a decent/good team to get those quick fixes. Teams like the Rams, and Lions, and Bucs went through very long stretches at rock bottom and had to re-build their entire rosters similar to what the Bills are in the process of to get a solid core and become up and coming teams again.

its not the way you want to have to go, but right now, in the Bills situation, its probably the best way to go, and it should bring the greater rewards for the fans if/when it works out. But the ey is patience and staying away from the quick fixes. Signing Flozell Adams to be a stop gap for maybe an extra win or 2 isn't going to do anything to help find out if a guy like Wang can play in real game situations, and then after this year we will still be left with the question about if he can play or not, but hey, we won maybe 1-2 more games and are still middle of the pact, non-playoffs.

I thought of this too with the whole OLine shuffle. I mean if we're just trying things out we may as well give him a shot too.

I've never been one to say that we needed to fix the OLine first as we had too many other holes to fill but now that the D seems to be on steady ground I'm glad to see that OBD is starting to pay attention to the OL.

I think we're all kidding ourselves to think that that this season was going to show a lot of promise. Chix is still trying to figure out what they're working with. This is a 2012 project you ask me.

I thought I read somewhere that this was being done? I don't recall what the results were. To me, he seems to be only available to play center or r/l guard. Outside on the line he is too slow, IMO.

Tim-

did you see his pre and post draft youtube videos??? that man aint slow, by any means!

I think the our friend Mr Jasper needs to get stronger before he plays any position in the NFL. I hate to say it, but he's getting pushed around by 3rd stringers out there... I know we're all pulling for him, but that won't secure him a spot on an NFL roster.

I think the our friend Mr Jasper needs to get stronger before he plays any position in the NFL. I hate to say it, but he's getting pushed around by 3rd stringers out there... I know we're all pulling for him, but that won't secure him a spot on an NFL roster.

I don't know if it's a lack of strength, but maybe rather a lack of technique and losing the leverage

battle against players who have more experience at high levels of competition.

So it's 19 days before the season opener and we're trying to polish a turd at the second most critical position on a football team, left tackle.

perpetually rebuilding.

“Coach Gailey told me he was going to put him in and get him some snaps at left (tackle),” said Bell. “It came as a shock but that’s the nature of the business. You have to understand that. I just have to come out here and keep getting better.”

Really Bell, It came as a shock?!?!?! What, were you making reservations for Honolulu based on your performance thus far? :unsure:

This whole organization has me completely deflated and prepared for a desastorous season. 4-12 would actually be an accomplishment.

Marcell Dareus is the real deal and a sure hit. Regardless of his impact this team will not fare better than last season's record.

Since last season we've parted ways with Lynch, Stroud, Witner, Poz, and Evans. Now Freddie sees the writing on the wall and wants out too.

We're supposed to be rebuilding which means taking steps forward or making progress. This team is actually getting worse before our very eyes.

As a whole, the team continues to look like it isn't going anywhere. But looking at it position by position, the only real unit that looks worse is the oline. Which unfortunatly, is a pretty important thing in football. Most of the other positions look about the same as last year.

Dareus and Merriman seem to be the only things that really are an upgrade over what we had last year, which is really sad because there is no way that will be enough. one of our rookies or someone has to be a breakout player.

It is sad that this team is so far from getting anywhere. If they are able to extend williams, and down the road extend stevie, that would look a little better that they are keeping the better players to have something to build around. But from the way it looks right now, nix and gailey are finally frustrated about the oline, and I would bet good money 2 of the first 3 picks in next years draft will be olinemen. It will still be sad, because rookie linement typically don't do well their first season. so it looks like the oline just isn't going to be fixed very quickly, unless they are finally able to grab a veteran starter who can solidfy things.

Really Bell, It came as a shock?!?!?! What, were you making reservations for Honolulu based on your performance thus far? :unsure:

Bell looked like **** last week, and I don't expect to see his bust in Canton, but this knee jerk reaction to one bad game against two premeir speed rushers in the preseason is a bit overdone.

So it's 19 days before the season opener and we're trying to polish a turd at the second most critical position on a football team, left tackle.

perpetually rebuilding.

This whole organization has me completely deflated and prepared for a desastorous season. 4-12 would actually be an accomplishment.

Marcell Dareus is the real deal and a sure hit. Regardless of his impact this team will not fare better than last season's record.

Since last season we've parted ways with Lynch, Stroud, Witner, Poz, and Evans. Now Freddie sees the writing on the wall and wants out too.

We're supposed to be rebuilding which means taking steps forward or making progress. This team is actually getting worse before our very eyes.

Talk about hysterics. Anyone that thinks this team is getting worse has completely lost their mind. Anyone that thinks a FO can rebuild both defensive and offensive lines in 2 off seasons is more nuts than the person that thinks we are getting worse.

Edited by Triple Threat

Talk about hysterics. Anyone that thinks this team is getting worse has completely lost their mind. Anyone that thinks a FO can rebuild both defensive and offensive lines in 2 off seasons is more nuts than the person that thinks we are getting worse.

So two off seasons rebuilding only the three-man defensive line, check. How many additional off seasons will it take to rebuild the five-man offensive line? Two more, or maybe three because there's more positions to address? So let's tentatively schedule the playoff tailgate for 2014, and hope a QB falls into our lap at some point as well.