Levitre to compete for LT spot

Doc

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get this right...the guy is a pile of crap at offensive gaurd, so we are going to move him to put a pile of crap at offensive tackle? Sounds like a Gailey/Nix move.

Nine wins Chan and Buddy...or you ought to be out of here.

Relax, if that doesn't work, Chris Kelsay will be moved to offensive tackle...

Let me get this right...the guy is a pile of crap at offensive gaurd, so we are going to move him to put a pile of crap at offensive tackle? Sounds like a Gailey/Nix move.

Nine wins Chan and Buddy...or you ought to be out of here.

I am shaking my head in disbelief.

Levitre, is not a "pile of crap" at LG. He did a good job last year. They chose to make an example out of him and platoon him with Rinehart. Competition is good, right Chan? All of a sudden Levitre is good enough to play LT, the most important position on the OL?

Buddy, read your roster --- did you not know at draft time that your tackles were Bell, Pears, Wang, Wrotto and Howard (who is really a Gaurd).

Buddy, are you even trying? Wake up please! Are you playing for Andrew Luck?

Lee Evans, one of the few legitimate NFL starters on our offense, is shipped out for a fourth round pick? That was going to make us better?

They want to see Spiller play more so they alienate Fred Jackson, the only complete running back on the team. They have lots of opportunities to play Spiller without handing him a position that he did not earn.

Many people on this board has been saying how bad we looked in Denver. I think by putting Levtre in at LT might be an answer. He's played it before and knows the position. He's tough and and most of all plays consistant like Chan wants. I'm not saying Bell is that bad either. Bell was burned a couple times and this might be a wake up call to get him going. I really think Bell starts on Saturday and Levitre fills in at times as well. Some people need to get reminded that their job is not secure. I think Bell will end up the starter unless Levitre just blows them away at tackle and earns that spot. Either way I feel our line will be better this year and fine. The Bills will give up sacks and not be the best, but feel they wont be the worse either. Just a fact to everyone and no I'm not saying the Bills are the same as this team, but believe it or not the Packers had the worst offensive line in the NFL when they went to the big dance and won it.

Jackso needs to relax and know that this team will want competition. I agree with him and feel he has been given a raw deal by Chan but also think Chan knows what he has in Jackson to get the job done. Does it matter who starts at RB? It's obvious that the formation will dictate who gets put in. Fred is a beast and most know this, he should relax and know that his job is safe as a Bill. Maybe Chan should speak more to them than he is, I do not know but hope it gets worked out in the long run.

I think it's fair to criticize Nix for not addressing this but I think they thought Bell was going to continue to develop and not regress. They did go after Clabo and the guy from Pittsburgh but they can't just make them sign.

There's three possible outcomes :

1. This motivates Bell and he busts his ass to get his job back

2. Levitre actually turns out to be a decent tackle.

3. DOOM!

Sign Max Starks and put him on a treadmill. What on Earth is the downside?

Steelers re-signed Essex today, another guy floating out there who I was hoping the Bills would look at. But from this article, it sounds like Starks or Flozell Adams are still out there.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2011/8/22/2378434/pittsburgh-steelers-news-offensive-line-53-man-roster-trai-essex

First off, levitre didn't get demoted, or lose his job at LG last week, the coaching staff just wanted to give Reinhart a chance to show what he can do at that position because he was looking really good in camp and in games at LG so they were giving him a chance to show what he can do. As for moving him to C or LT, they are trying to see what he can play in case of injury to other spots on the line, and they are trying to see if levitre/Reinhart is better then Bell/Levitre on the left side.

For those saying there isn't much available out there, there are plenty of guys out there that people have heard of before, and because they don't currently play for the Bills they are obviously a hundred times better then what the Bills have, no matter how old, out of shape, or injured they are, and none of them would end up being another Cornell Green, until of course the bills sign the one that was not the popular choice of the fans. Any FA would sign here if we offer them more money, cause money is the only thing that matters.

I do agree that the Bills really should stop switching people from their natural positions. Peters should have never been converted from a TE, and George Wilson should be fighting for a WR position again.

It could be worse...OBD could wait until a mere two or three weeks before the start of the regular season to determine that their OL will not contribute in a positive way to the life expectancy of their QBs - or to the offense in general. :rolleyes:

We know this is true because they did it with Edwards--> Fitz last year.

Steelers re-signed Essex today, another guy floating out there who I was hoping the Bills would look at. But from this article, it sounds like Starks or Flozell Adams are still out there.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2011/8/22/2378434/pittsburgh-steelers-news-offensive-line-53-man-roster-trai-essex

Starks and Adams are not good enough for the Steelers, they would rather have a guy described as this "The former third-round draft pick out of Northwestern is not a very intriguing starting option" to replace a former Bill who was not good enough for the fans here in Jonathan Scott

Levitre, is not a "pile of crap" at LG. He did a good job last year. They chose to make an example out of him and platoon him with Rinehart. Competition is good, right Chan? All of a sudden Levitre is good enough to play LT, the most important position on the OL?

Buddy, read your roster --- did you not know at draft time that your tackles were Bell, Pears, Wang, Wrotto and Howard (who is really a Gaurd).

Lee Evans, one of the few legitimate NFL starters on our offense, is shipped out for a fourth round pick? That was going to make us better?

They want to see Spiller play more so they alienate Fred Jackson, the only complete running back on the team. They have lots of opportunities to play Spiller without handing him a position that he did not earn.

I think the real deal is they were legitimately trying to see if Rinehart was better than Levitre and to see how he did with the first team. I also think that they are finally admitting that Bell is SOOOOOO bad at LT that they are trying anyone who has had any experience at LT give it a shot. That is Levitre. We probably have a few other bums that can give it a shot too so we will see how it goes.

Starks and Adams are not good enough for the Steelers, they would rather have a guy described as this "The former third-round draft pick out of Northwestern is not a very intriguing starting option" to replace a former Bill who was not good enough for the fans here in Jonathan Scott

Starks, Adams, and Essex are not great prospects at this points in their career. But we're in desperation mode. Our starting LT appears to have regressed to the point of being demoted, and there is no depth behind him. I think Starks or Adams would be a serious upgrade over Wang, Wrotto, or Howard.

Starks, Adams, and Essex are not great prospects at this points in their career. But we're in desperation mode. Our starting LT appears to have regressed to the point of being demoted, and there is no depth behind him. I think Starks or Adams would be a serious upgrade over Wang, Wrotto, or Howard.

And the Steelers aren't in desperation mode? They are the defending AFC champions who have a former Bills o-line castoff in Jonathan Scott as their starter and need a replacement to fill in for him while he is hurt.

The Bills are not a playoff team this year and a couple of washed up depth o-line players aren't going to change that. They may get them a few more wins this year, but still no playoffs. Might as well use this season to see what you have in Wang, Wrotto, and others in real game situations

This. +1 to everything in this post. I was hoping "Trent Edwards is our QB. Oops, wait, turns out he sucks, now he's cut," was going to be the last of the head-shaking mismanagement from this team. Sadly that was not the case. I also put moving Moats back to ILB in this category.

I think it's fair to criticize Nix for not addressing this but I think they thought Bell was going to continue to develop and not regress. They did go after Clabo and the guy from Pittsburgh but they can't just make them sign.

There's three possible outcomes :

1. This motivates Bell and he busts his ass to get his job back

2. Levitre actually turns out to be a decent tackle.

3. DOOM!

The problem is that Gailey (and just about every coach) constantly talks about competition - how important it is and how great it is. "Competition makes everyone better." "We just got better at that spot because we brought in two guys to compete." Etc., etc. Levitre's demotion from entrenched starter to "guy rotating with the 1's, competing for a starting job" was spun by both Gailey and fans as healthy competition that'll be great for the team. But there was NO ATTEMPT made, either this offseason or last, to bring in any competition for Demetrius Bell. One of the shakiest starters on the team, no depth behind him, at probably the 2nd-most important position, and the Bills decided they were all set. That's insane! And now the coaches look like boobs because Plan B is to take the guy who just got demoted at LG (and yes, going from entrenched starter to competing for a starting job is a demotion. Levitre & Rinehart have been rotating with the starters since that fateful day) and stick him in as a starting LT. It would make a lot more sense if you hadn't just undermined him by playing him with the backups.

Anyway, I'm getting a little off track. My point is that it's fine for them to think (although I'd use the word "hope") that Bell would develop, but it's not fine to assume that that's the only possibility, and there's no need for depth or competition to push Bell's development. They didn't need to sign a big-ticket free agent (wouldn't have hurt, though), but they needed to do something. A cheap veteran, a decent draft pick, SOMETHING.

So the guy gets bench as a G and now they think he is going to be an improvement at LT? WTF are they thinking? Is this the same maroon that move Moats inside and decided to start Spiller?

It's been widely reported that McKinnie is WAY overweight. How is a fat, slow McKinnie going to help?

Because a fat slow and overweight McKinnie is better than a fit and hardworking Bell/Pears/everyone else on our OL minus maybe Wood. As someone else point out there is also Brian Waters who could play for 1 year as a stop gap. There are probably 10+ FAs out there with ~8 years starting experience who would be an upgrade for us and be dirt cheep.