Who is Patrick Moran? Supposedly major news.

bbb

I think we can call this story dead. Frankly, Merriman's story is a bit weird, but there will be no way of confirming anything. He wasn't arrested or charged with anything.

Further, Moran needs some Journalism 101. One vague tweet to Merriman, and he calls that trying to reach him or the Bills for comment?

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you catch the reference to Whitner? He became "tired" of his interactions with Bills fans? What kind of journalist inserts himself into such matters? One looking to hype himself and his website perhaps?

The more Moran writes the worse he looks. The way he pleads with Merriman to call him makes him look like a stalker. Why would Shawne give any cred to a chump wannabe like Moran?

PTR

A true "journalist" even a web blogger would not beg and plead on Twitter for a player to answer him. A call to the Bills' office or to Merriman's agent (Wait, perhaps Mr. Moron is not able to figure out how to find agents' names and contact information ...). Seeing his posting of his own TWITTER shout out only verifies what most of us have concluded about Mr. Moron's ability to write factual and insightful reports about the Bills or anyone else. If I were him, I'd be doing a google search on slander right now ...

Okay, this has happened a number of times in this thread, and it's really starting to burn my cheese.

It's spelled BORDER, people. :wallbash:

What if he was taking on a boarder to help him afford the steroids he was smuggling across the border?

I think we can call this story dead. Frankly, Merriman's story is a bit weird, but there will be no way of confirming anything. He wasn't arrested or charged with anything.

Further, Moran needs some Journalism 101. One vague tweet to Merriman, and he calls that trying to reach him or the Bills for comment?

Except that it's not weird at all. Try crossing the Peace Bridge at 2 am with several bags of luggage in your car and see what happens.

GO BILLS!!!

Florio will be on 103.3 wedg this afternoon to talk about the Vick story as well as the Merriman one. Going by his post regarding the Merriman story, I expect scathing remarks about journalistic integrity and such.

Except that it's not weird at all. Try crossing the Peace Bridge at 2 am with several bags of luggage in your car and see what happens.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. I've been stopped at the border and hassled for nothing other that driving back from chicago. I was in Canada for the time it takes to drive from Detroit to NF, and the guard on the US side at the bridge decided to give us a hard time even after i told him exactly what we did and where we were.

About The Merriman Story

Posted on August 19, 2011 by Patrick Moran

Against my better judgment and surely not on the advice of others, I’ve decided to post a response following the aftermath regarding my Shawne Merriman story yesterday. I accept that roughly 95% of fans who read it have long passed judgment no column or explanation will change.

I can live with that.

What I won’t do, at all costs is retract a single word I wrote. I stand by my story, the source and won’t apologize, even if it’s clearly something no Bills fan wanted to hear......

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/about-the-merriman-story/

I love his initial message to Merriman. It almost looks restraining order worthy.

Okay, this has happened a number of times in this thread, and it's really starting to burn my cheese.

It's spelled BORDER, people. :wallbash:

Unless John Ashcroft gets stopped on the Peace Bridge. Then it's considered a waterboarder.

The bottom line from this whole story is that Moran is an absolute moron. He doesn't deserve any attention from any of us. Clearly he knows someone who knows someone at OBD, so he pretends that makes him privy to inside information. I realize that many professional journalists are not good journalists; nor are all bloggers devoid of talent. But in this case, Moran is neither a good journalist, nor a good blogger. He's an absolute hack. Looking back at some of his "pieces," it's one linguistic atrocity after another -- entries riddled with basic structural and grammatical errors. He would be lucky to get a C in a freshman writing 101 course at college. I would encourage all posters on this site to ignore him completely henceforth. He's small, insignificant, and stupid...

Edited by applescruff

I shut off the computer last night when this thread was coasting to the finish line at 29 pages. Little did I know that more articles and quotes from reputable sources would breathe new life into this thing.

I agree with the notion that this story has run its course. The Border Patrol and the U.S. Attorney's office both say there is nothing to this search of Merriman at the border. I think their words speak much louder than "Mr. Bigg Smiggs'" (Moran) and should put this issue to rest for now. Unless there's new information that comes out implicating Merriman to something illegal then I respectfully ask for this thread to be closed, too.

So I read the first 18 pages of this thread, and the most reliable links sent me to pixyland.

Has there been any kind of credible info released on this?

Guy at work just sent me this, sounds overblown by someone who witnessed something at the border

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/19/merriman-case-is-closed-before-it-was-even-opened/

So I read the first 18 pages of this thread, and the most reliable links sent me to pixyland.

Guy at work just sent me this, sounds overblown by someone who witnessed something at the border

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/19/merriman-case-is-closed-before-it-was-even-opened/

You're 20 pages behind, read faster.

I will give you this clue...Moats=Deep Throat

No, nothing solid at all.

He was stopped for a secondary search, just like many of us, and then released. That is the only confirmed fact.

It's not.

It'll break sooner or later.

Edit: Know what he was caught with, but I won't get specific.

Not sure if Rob posted somewhere later in the 36 pages what the substance supposedly was. The reason that is important is, contrary to Moran's statement, all anabolic steroids are absolutely illegal to possess in New York State. They are considered controlled substances, and are classified as schedule 2 controlled substances under the public health law. The mere possession of them IS, at the very least, a Class A misdemeanor under under the New York State Penal Law. Any substantial weight of the substance would constitute a felony. I am sure there is a corresponding federal statute as well that punishes the transporting of them into the United States.

However, like many controlled substances, many anabolic steroids can be prescribed by a doctor and therefore lawfully possessed by the user. (ie. Oxycodone, vicodin, etc.)

So, the only way to reconcile Moran's and Guy's story and explain the fact that Merriman was not arrested, was if Merriman was prescribed the drugs by a friendly Canadian doctor, ala Anthony Galea. While that would absolve Merriman from criminal liability and explain his release from customs, it could still put him in a world of trouble with the NFL.

If Moran and Guy are correct in their assertions, that is the only plausible explanation as to what is going on.

Florio will be on 103.3 wedg this afternoon to talk about the Vick story as well as the Merriman one. Going by his post regarding the Merriman story, I expect scathing remarks about journalistic integrity and such.

And I also expect him to squash the Vick story, because following Dictator Goodell's orders is in the best interest of the media if they want to make money.