" 'They' put me in the right situation"

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Dungy says Michael Vick could potentially wind up in Buffalo, which he says previously discussed signing the quarterback:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4636199

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/74088/116/Report-Bills-Considering-Michael-Vick

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/02/02/vick-assured-hell-be-traded/

Your first link simply says the Bills were a team that contacted him when he came out of prison.

The second link describes Buffalo as a place he may end up after he was already on the Eagles roster for a year.

The third link is obviously dubious becuase it was McNabb who was traded before the draft--not Vick, which makes Vick's claim that he was told he would be traded before the draft totally bogus.

No link says the Bills were going to make Vick their starting QB when he was reinstated.

99% of the time I wouldn't care but any advice with the suspension looming seems a bit improper. I don't care if he calls clabo and says stay in ATL, I do care when he has complete power over a guys livelihood

He already had that--he could have not reinstated him at all.

Things worked out pretty well for Vick, I would say. Better than he would have done in Buff or Cincy.

What the hell does anyone's feelings about Vick playing for the Bills have to do with anything? And how is the commissioner steering free agents towards certain teams a non-issue? Please explain because on the surface your assertion sounds idiotic but I'm interested to hear if there is an intelligent rationale that I haven't thought of. Please do explain.

It has to do with the outrage in the posts for a guy many didn't want under any circumstance. If the story was "jacksonville and Cincy" instead of Buffalo and Cincy, no one would have started this thread. So there's a phoniness to it all. That was my point.

Also, Goodell hasn't commented. But it seems that McNabb (ironically, it would turn out) lobbied for Vick. Also, as other commentators have pointed out, the Bills with DJ on his way out was not a great place for the potential train wreck that was Mick Vick's return to the NFL. As for Cincy, there is no way Vick would have been signed as the starter ahead of Palmer--so Vick is full of S*** on that claim.

No one has suggested that Goodell made signing with the Eagles a condition for reinstatement. I'm sure he told the guy that he thought it would be best for his immediate future if he signed with a more stable team, like Philly, than places like Buffalo and Cincy. Vick took his advice and only the wackiest Bills homer would deny it simply could not have worked out better for Vick.

If Vick said "no, I want to go to Buffalo" and was prevented (which sounds like what you're claiming) by the Commish from signing with the Bills, Vick would have gone right to D. Smith and this would have blown up then.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Not entirely related to the subject of this thread, but I vividly remember a majority of posters on this board slamming Vick and saying things like they'd boycott the team if the Bills signed him... they're awfully quiet about him these days...

good point, but we're dealing with principles here...i'm going to make it my mission to make a story out of this

Well Roger Goodell is going to have to get his suspension from Roger Goodell and I hear that guy is a hard ass.

Seriously why is a league official telling players where he can and can't go? That's clearly tampering and a conflict of interest (Goodell represents the owners it should be the players union Vick is a part of that decision for Vick). This is seriously a problem.

Your first link simply says the Bills were a team that contacted him when he came out of prison.

The second link describes Buffalo as a place he may end up after he was already on the Eagles roster for a year.

The third link is obviously dubious becuase it was McNabb who was traded before the draft--not Vick, which makes Vick's claim that he was told he would be traded before the draft totally bogus.

No link says the Bills were going to make Vick their starting QB when he was reinstated.

Things worked out pretty well for Vick, I would say. Better than he would have done in Buff or Cincy.

It has to do with the outrage in the posts for a guy many didn't want under any circumstance. If the story was "jacksonville and Cincy" instead of Buffalo and Cincy, no one would have started this thread. So there's a phoniness to it all. That was my point.

Also, Goodell hasn't commented. But it seems that McNabb (ironically, it would turn out) lobbied for Vick. Also, as other commentators have pointed out, the Bills with DJ on his way out was not a great place for the potential train wreck that was Mick Vick's return to the NFL. As for Cincy, there is no way Vick would have been signed as the starter ahead of Palmer--so Vick is full of S*** on that claim.

No one has suggested that Goodell made signing with the Eagles a condition for reinstatement. I'm sure he told the guy that he thought it would be best for his immediate future if he signed with a more stable team, like Philly, than places like Buffalo and Cincy. Vick took his advice and only the wackiest Bills homer would deny it simply could not have worked out better for Vick.

If Vick said "no, I want to go to Buffalo" and was prevented (which sounds like what you're claiming) by the Commish from signing with the Bills, Vick would have gone right to D. Smith and this would have blown up then.

My point was that with a suspension for X number of games that can be reduced with "good life choices" and goodell suggesting a team would be a good life choice, things get sticky.

Remove that and I could care less about goodell giving advice based on his relationship with players, coaches, front offices etc....

My point was that with a suspension for X number of games that can be reduced with "good life choices" and goodell suggesting a team would be a good life choice, things get sticky.

Remove that and I could care less about goodell giving advice based on his relationship with players, coaches, front offices etc....

There were very few stable teams that wanted him. Goodell likely suggested he go to one of these type teams. Philly is likely the only one that wanted him. The suspension reduction was going to be based on what happended after he signed with a team. That's how tenuous Goodell felt this guy was. People conveniently forget how negative nationwide public opinion was (and very loudly here) back then. Goodell was probably figuring Vick would screw up anyway.

Well Roger Goodell is going to have to get his suspension from Roger Goodell and I hear that guy is a hard ass.

Seriously why is a league official telling players where he can and can't go? That's clearly tampering and a conflict of interest (Goodell represents the owners it should be the players union Vick is a part of that decision for Vick). This is seriously a problem.

That seriously never happened.

Edited by Mr. WEO

There were very few stable teams that wanted him. Goodell likely suggested he go to one of these type teams. Philly is likely the only one that wanted him. The suspension reduction was going to be based on what happended after he signed with a team. That's how tenuous Goodell felt this guy was. People conveniently forget how negative nationwide public opinion was (and very loudly here) back then. Goodell was probably figuring Vick would screw up anyway.

That never happened.

Frankly I don't disagree, I'm just saying that it was probably improper to reccomend a team given the dynamic of their relationship at the time (Roger being judge jury and executioner).

Friendly advice from someone in a position of great power over your life can get complicated. That's a life lesson not an isolated to mike Vick and buffalo issue.

Doesn't mean anything improper resulted.

Kind of like the thing with goodell, Rex and santonio last year. Not awful, just out of place.

Edited by NoSaint

Makes me think more highly of Nix and Gailey (and believe me I didn't think all that highly of them to begin with) that they at least made a play for Vick. Goodell and the probation officers were real jackasses, and both Cincinnatti and Buffalo should get some kind of compensation for that treatment.

Good post.

Have to disagree. There is a big difference between Dungy mentoring him and Goodell being involved in specifics re: which team he 'should' go to. Goodell can offer all the generics he wants: "you might want to think about being a back up for one year..." kind of thing. He (and who knows if he did) cannot steer him to a particular franchise and/or away from others. To further the point, how objective is the commish if he is 'presenting' the Bills as having a 'wacky' owner and a 'chaotic' organization.

No matter how comical (or true) those characterizations may be, Goodell has to remain objective.....it's his job. I said it earlier, but how is this not tampering at the highest level???

It is wrong to make the leap and characterization that MV was ordered to go to any particular team. Michael Vick alone made the decision. There is nothing wrong for Dungy, Goodell or any other advisor to point out to MV the pluses and minuses of the teams that were being considered.

The bottom line is that if Goodell suggested or anyone else suggested that going to Philly would be the best option for him it ultimately worked out exceptionally well. Remember, Vick made the decision where to go. No one made that decision for him.

You might not be aware of it but Crazy Al Davis, the buffoon owner of the Bills and the clowinsh owner of the Bengals are considered the three stooges of owners in the league. There should be no surprise why their franchses consistently lose.

Makes me think more highly of Nix and Gailey (and believe me I didn't think all that highly of them to begin with) that they at least made a play for Vick.

When there was talk that Buffalo was interested in Vick I had my doubts about their judgment. As it turned out Vick not only regained his pre-lockup form but has become a better qb. So your point about Gailey/Nix abilities in evaluating talent has a lot of merit. That is a good sign.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ralph is fired up over it.

Looking at the NFL bylaws, we can petition the Executive Committee to investigate and remove the Commish. Goodell doesn't have many friends anymore; now may be a good time to impeach this loser.

You must be joking! Goodell just squeezed an immensely favorable 10 year deal out of the NFLPA on behalf of his bosses, the owners. And you think they might be in the mood to "impeach" him??

It is to laugh...

He was never going to end up in Buffalo, anyways.

Ralph, nor many of the fans here, would ever stand for a black starting quarterback or a black head coach.

In a city with an African-American mayor, who has a black fire commissioner, who had a black Police Chief, whose main university has a black athletic director and basketball coach and had a black football coach you play the race card?

All speculation. Your post and others. Everyone's trying to extrapolate a complex scenario from the two words "league approval" (which were chosen by the writer of the article, not a quote by anyone).

Goodell's still an ass, though.

You must be joking! Goodell just squeezed an immensely favorable 10 year deal out of the NFLPA on behalf of his bosses, the owners. And you think they might be in the mood to "impeach" him??

It is to laugh...

I really wonder how much, if any, credit the owners gave to Goodell for this deal.

The guy has been embattled for several years now. Many players dislike him.

I think these steering allegations might be viewed as a good opportunity to jettison the guy.

YOU ASKED: "Where is the story describing Buffalo going after Vick?"

i simply provided proof from a credible source (Tony Dungy) that the Bills had previously discussed aquiring Vick:

Tony Dungy says Michael Vick could potentially wind up in Buffalo, which he says previously discussed signing the quarterback.

League Office to Tony Dungy: you misunderstood what we said....that's not the way it came down.

Tony Dungy to Mike Vick : ok, this is what your going to say......

Mike Vick: you guys misunderstood me........(let the backtracking begin).

as predicted....damage control has started.....

Vick says it was his own decision to go to Philly:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/vick-says-it-was-his-own-decision-to-go-to-philly/