This years punching bag

beerme1

There was a thread like this that said with Poz gone who will be this years punching bag or something to that effect. It's locked and I want to comment dammit!

Now Maybin is gone so scratch Mr. Natural from the list. I am going to keep a close eye on Drayton Florence. I liked him last year and was glad that he re signed.

After signing, someone asked him if he will help recruit free agents here and his response was they don't pay me to that so no I wont be. He said it seriously and I took it as a pretty lame attitude from a guy who just re signed. He was asked if he would make phone calls and talk to guys about coming here and he said no. He doesn't want any part of that.

That combined with the tweeting about Lee Evans has me on the skeptical side of him now. I hope he plays well with out a let up this year. I really do hopew he does well but if I were Buddy I would have called him into the office and said what gives with you? That may or may not have happened and again I am hoping he does well. We need him and I was glad when he resigned but I am skeptical of his attitude at this point.

There was a thread like this that said with Poz gone who will be this years punching bag or something to that effect. It's locked and I want to comment dammit!

Now Maybin is gone so scratch Mr. Natural from the list. I am going to keep a close eye on Drayton Florence. I liked him last year and was glad that he re signed.

After signing, someone asked him if he will help recruit free agents here and his response was they don't pay me to that so no I wont be. He said it seriously and I took it as a pretty lame attitude from a guy who just re signed. He was asked if he would make phone calls and talk to guys about coming here and he said no. He doesn't want any part of that.

That combined with the tweeting about Lee Evans has me on the skeptical side of him now. I hope he plays well with out a let up this year. I really do hopew he does well but if I were Buddy I would have called him into the office and said what gives with you? That may or may not have happened and again I am hoping he does well. We need him and I was glad when he resigned but I am skeptical of his attitude at this point.

My guesses (in this order):

- Perennial favorite Kelsay

- Reggie Corner

- Marcus Easley

it has to be Kelsay, although he is usually one of the punching bags around here every year so its tough to say he counts.

Probably Roscoe, Moorman/Lindell seem to be emerging as favorites, Pears or anyone else listed in the tackle positions, Urbik?

no way its Florence, fans were begging he re-signs.

I have no problem with Florence speaking his mind about the Evans trade or not wanting to be a part of recruiting other players.

Kelsay will obviously be a major punching bag this year as he is every year but Im going to go out on a limb and say either McKelvin or Troup and maybe even McGee

I can see it becoming Easley. I agree that Kelsey gets hit enough so he shouldn't count. Easley because he was hurt all last year and now he got hurt again a little bit. Why so serious can be in the running if he drops a few big ones and doesn't produce but I hope it's not.

Nah --- fair or unfair --- it'll be Spiller.

I agree with Spiller .... with him being a high draft choice (and a luxury pick we couldn't afford to miss on) even if he does OK it will not be good enough ... it's either greatness or nothing!!!

it has to be Kelsay, although he is usually one of the punching bags around here every year so its tough to say he counts.

Probably Roscoe, Moorman/Lindell seem to be emerging as favorites, Pears or anyone else listed in the tackle positions, Urbik?

no way its Florence, fans were begging he re-signs.

How does Urbik last all the way down to the 3rd post?

This thread should just plain be titled, "Urbik"

Kelsay of course

Spiller had better play well soon as the regular starts or there are going to be calls of bust- he's a running back not a QB you got to show by the 2nd season.

Urbik- he's looked stiff, not as powerful as you'd hope given his size, looked like he lost his balance a couple times.

Wang, Howard, Rinehart, Wrotto, Watkins,- I hope one of these guys emerge but I haven't seen anything yet.

Easely - might be one of those guys who never gets his act totally together

Yeah that was a good one, no wonder it was closed

Spiller, especially if he has a year like last year

All the greats ran with an attitude. So far we have yet to see this trait from Spiller.

I'm of the opinion if we don't see him running with an attitude and purpose this year, I don't think he ever becomes the great running back we all hoped he'd become after he was our pick.

Running backs generally don't take more than a year to become good.

He's not being paid to do "ok".

IMHO ... The size of a rookie contract is not in any way relevent to his performance as a pro. It is mearly a "gamble" on the teams part as to that rookies percieved potential. Some gambles work out such as Manning, Rivers, etc. and some don't such as Maybin, Mcargo, etc.. Where it gets sticky is when a player gets a "mega contract" and turns out to be just a solid/average/contributing player. I, like most fans find it hard to justify having an OK player getting payed superstar money ... but in the end it just doesn't matter (except to the guy writing the checks).

I think the classic example was Whitner ... he was OK ... nothing more, nothing less, but his problem was when he was drafted the Bills felt he was going to be a difference maker and he never was (and IMHO never would be). It's almost impossible to sign this type of player to a follow-on contract because you have to in effect tell him he's not nearly as good as advertised and he needs to take a paycut accordingly.

Which brings us back to Spiller .... Let's say he turns out to be an OK running back (heaven forbid). I'm sure we as fans will begrudge him his large paycheck, but is it cost effective for the team to dump him for someone who may turn out to be a bust of a running back?