For those that are worried about the O-line

I am still worried about the O-line this year, even after reading Wanny's comments...yes. But I understand why Nix decided to address the defense first with this years draft: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/8/10/2355087/why-fix-the-run-first#storyjump

"While perusing Pro Football Focus and their offensive line rankings, I noticed the Jets and Pats having the first and third ranked offensive lines for 2009 and 2010, respectively. Essentially the Jets and Pats have two of the three best offensive lines in football."

"Last year, the Jets ran on the Bills 99 times and passed on the Bills 49 times. I actually had to double check that stat because of how unbelievable it was.

Last year, the Pats ran on the Bills 79 times and passed on us 54 times. Think about that - the NFL's best quarterback last year handed the ball off against Buffalo 25 more times than he threw it."

"I think some of the reason why Nix decided to build the defensive line first is because it's tougher to play defensive line than offensive line. Reactive movements and technique are tougher to learn for a defensive line, which is why you traditionally don't see defensive line draft picks light the league on fire immediately. It typically takes a couple of years for those guys to develop. Plus, we play in a division with two of the best offensive lines in football, who dictate play against us on a consistent basis.

After giving up 200+ rushing yards 8 times last season, the Bills had no choice put to fix their defense. There were so many holes to fix this offseason, that it was impossible to address them all. I'm hoping next year's draft focuses on the O-line, with getting quality starters and depth at the Tackle position.

I think the problem is not so much that Nix chose to address D-line *first*, but that he chose to address D-line *exclusively*. Here's the entirety of attention to the O-line this offseason:

1 4th-round draft pick

undrafted free agents

And that's it. Nix continues to talk up Urbik's high ranking on their draft board in 2009, as though that has any relevance anymore. He did make an attempt to sign a RT, so maybe he's not as sold on Pears as he claims, but there's been ZERO attempt to upgrade the LT position, not even for depth. I think the plan is to hope all of the young guys come through. Not a great plan.

The more I think about this roster, the more it feels like we're in Year 1 of a rebuild, not Year 2.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If all Chan Gailey had to do was run the offense, set up game plans and call plays I'd be less concerned about the offense. But he is involved in every aspect of the team as HC, every position and every area because he chose to hire a bunch of college coaches to be his assistants. So not only is he running the entire offense.... he also needs to teach all the other coaches that lack experience in their jobs.

In my view this is primarily why the team was so bad last season as its a very demanding job just to be the HC without all the other responsibility he has to shoulder because so many of his assistants lack experience.

BTW, the line looked so much better then it was last season simply because Ryan Fitzpatrick was able to find the open receiver and hit him within 3 seconds or less, which was amazing. Go "youytube" that Stevie Johnson drop in the endzone against the Steelers, Fitz was able to get that ball out in 3.5 seconds on that deep passing play. By the same token its why Brian Brohm and Trent Edwards looked so bad with the very same O line. Not only that, Fitz was amazing in his escape-ability, the only QB with a better yard per rush was Mike Vick, and Vick was only slightly better.

My concern is the beating the Bills QB's are going to endure this year when they don't get the ball out in under 3 seconds, plus the running game is going to suffer with inferior talent on that line.

Going into the off season our biggest weaknesses were DL, LB, TE, OL in my opinion. I think we've taken care of DL and LB, and I have a feeling we'll be ok with Scott Chandler at TE. Next off season we should work on OL, TE and QB.

Going into the off season our biggest weaknesses were DL, LB, TE, OL in my opinion. I think we've taken care of DL and LB, and I have a feeling we'll be ok with Scott Chandler at TE. Next off season we should work on OL, TE and QB.

I agree. All the holes couldn't have been filled with this years draft, so at least half of the holes seem to be taken care of (at least on paper.)

Edited by Jerry Jabber

If you are concerned with the near term you could bring in Shawn Andrews and McKinnie to compete with Bell and Pears- I don't think you lose much by cutting Wang and Colin Brown but it seems obvious that the Bills still consider themselves in rebuilding mode (the most optimistic interpretation of their actions- the other being they're damn cheap).

Chan is already devising his scheme.....he is going to run the spread and use it to create space for the running game and slow down the pass rush.

Chan knows he has a very smart QB (actually two of them) who are mobile with a quick release......he is going to let Fitz read the blitz and throw to the area of the blitzer.....thereby slowing down the pass rush

Look guys, even if we signed Tyson Clabo, that doesn't change our depth. One injury to Clabo and we're back where we started.

This is football, injuries happen all the time.

We are doing it the right way, taking it slow and developing our guys as a team.

It's not going to happen overnight with a quick fix.

Shawshank reference! Woo-Hoo!

A little follow up to the movie, last week, the 175 year old, 170' Oak tree along the stone wall where the directions and money were loctaed was split down the middle by high winds in Mansfield Ohio. While the other half is still standing, death is imminent. Sad.

I had no idea that that part of the movie was filmed in Ohio. I used to live in Columbus, and could have easily driven up to Mansfield!

Stock response to any complaint about any free agent that the Bills pass on - well 30 other teams passed too.

I don't understand the complaint at all in this instance. Below is a quick break down of Gaither's last year in football.

-Didn't play a single game last season due to back injuries.

-Reported to camp in 2010 30 lbs lighter due to a mysterious illness.

-Hasn't participated in Ravens off season conditioning program this year.

-Ravens said they can't count on him to show up on Sunday.

-Failed a physical with the Raiders.

All the big names in FA were signed in the first few days of FA, and there has been no indication in the media that there was any interest surrounding Gaither. If a pro bowl LT isn't generating serious interest in free agency then its obvious that something is wrong. Nix clearly wasn't alone in having no interest in Gaither.

Every free agent signing by another team is taken as evidence that Nix is an idiot. At this point I'm pretty sure Miami could sign a 3 legged dog and we'd still have people damning Nix to hell for missing on that golden opportunity.

Gailey and Wannstedt both have many proven years in the NFL. One with good offensive experience and the other with defensive experience. These guys compliment each other and make our team better. Gailey is not all on his own here the way you are making this out, Harey. He now has an assistant head coach which will help him in many ways.

Am I worried about the OL? You betcha. But I am not nearly as worried as in years past, for a number of reasons. The spread offense does make it possible to quickly get rid of the ball and Fitz has all ready proven that he can do that. The idea that the Wildcat can be used not only for running plays, but also passing is an unproven concept in the NFL, but Gailey clearly is willing to try something that has potential unlike dead Dick J. We do still utilize a big fullback and now we have a good looking big tight end, which adds strength to our offensive line.

All in all, Gailey seems to be a forward thinking coach. He still will utilize proven plays, but he isn't shy about doing something new. Players love that and will work harder because of it. He doesn't beat around the bush when he talks and pretty much says what he means. I like his style and I like his vision. The other thing I like is that he doesn't pretend to be perfect and is willing to make adjustments when he realizes something isn't working. Things like ditching Edwards in favor of Fitz and the hiring of Wannstedt comes to mind.

I could be wrong about this, but I haven't felt this good about coaching in long while. The offensive line is what it is. The coaches know that and will do what they can to make it productive. The players know that and will do their part as well. It won't be easy, but I think they all ready have a handle on it.

Edited by Rockinon

The NFL of 2011 is not the same as the NFL of 2001. It's a passing league now, and you need to be able to score points. Not gonna work if you can't protect the QB, nomatter how many gimmicks you come up with.

2011. The start of decade number 3 where people keep saying that. Maybe it's decade 4. Been hearing that argument since the days of the Run 'N Shoot and Walsh's West Coast Offense.

Yet, I could have sworn somebody posted a link within the past year where the magic threshold was 20 points. If you can hold your opponent to 20 points and under, you win the majority of your games.

Wow, go figure.

Still waiting for the time we need to score a kagillion points to win games.

At the end of the day, it's hard to escape the simple idea of signing at least one competent OT. Just one. Not even a star. Just a good starter. We have three question marks out of five players and zero depth at tackle. I love the team and support Channix and like what I see for the most part. But the unwillingness to address the OL is puzzlement - and it will kill us (hopefully not Fitz) this year. And if you all believe we'll be OK, or short passes and screens will disguise our bad line, I invite you to watch Ed Wang in practice. D.Bell goes down and that's what we have to step in. Sweet Jesus Buddy, do something.

To quote the Rolling Stones, "You make a grown man cry." Okay, not really. But this sort of nonsensical, endlessly repeated "criticism" does make me want to bang my head against a wall. I am not focusing just on your remarks...you have plenty of company around this place. For example, you say, "the unwillingness to address the OL is a puzzlement." Seriously? You think they've been refusingto address the OL? Since Nix took over, have they not added several tons of O linemen? You can criticize the quality of the signings (though I think they have added several who are going to be good to great but that's just an opinion) but how in the name of the Lords of Darkness can you say they refuseto address the O line?

Then you refer to the line as "our bad line." Huh? Not Ready For Primetime maybe. But bad? Come on.

Next up, you decry Wang's play at left tackle. I believe his first practice there was the first time he's played with the Ones since he joined the Bills, and definitely his first time at LT. He is NOT all they have to back up Ding Dong Bell...it's training camp for crying out loud. My guess is that the coaches are trying guys out now to see if they might be useful in certain positions later on. And can we give Wang two, maybe three practices at a new position before we write him off? Jeez!

You beg Buddy to add "just a good starter." Here's the thing: Buddy thinks he has added several "good starters." He thinks Urbik is that and more. He really likes Pears. And Hairston. And Wrotto. And...well, you get the idea. And apparently Nix did try to add a supposedly above-average starter in Clabo, though, let's be fair, until fairly recently Clabo was one of those guys who was considered something of a flop. Had he been with the Bills two years ago, I can imagine the critics around here begging Brandon to get rid of him in favor of "just a good starter."

Again, this is not directed just at you but at the numbingly lame coterie of fans whose "insights" can be reduced to "the Bills suck; every player on every other team is better than anyone we have; Buddy's missing the boat; any decent GM should be able to go out on any given day and pluck off the next franchise QB, the next franchise LT, the next franchise MLB...except for the Bills; the Bills screwed up with Maybin/Whitner/(add your choice of flop) so therefore the new regime will continue to do the same thing. And on and on.

Will the Bills win 2 games this year? 6? 14? Go 19-0? You don't know, I don't know, nobody knows. But right now, they show more promise of success than they have in years, an are more fun and interesting to follow than I can remember since the heydey of Flutie-mania. For this long-suffering Bills fan -- I went to my first Bills practice at the Knox estate in East Aurora in 1960 -- that'll do for now. For me anyway.

To quote the Rolling Stones, "You make a grown man cry." Okay, not really. But this sort of nonsensical, endlessly repeated "criticism" does make me want to bang my head against a wall. I am not focusing just on your remarks...you have plenty of company around this place. For example, you say, "the unwillingness to address the OL is a puzzlement." Seriously? You think they've been refusingto address the OL? Since Nix took over, have they not added several tons of O linemen? You can criticize the quality of the signings (though I think they have added several who are going to be good to great but that's just an opinion) but how in the name of the Lords of Darkness can you say they refuseto address the O line?

Then you refer to the line as "our bad line." Huh? Not Ready For Primetime maybe. But bad? Come on.

Next up, you decry Wang's play at left tackle. I believe his first practice there was the first time he's played with the Ones since he joined the Bills, and definitely his first time at LT. He is NOT all they have to back up Ding Dong Bell...it's training camp for crying out loud. My guess is that the coaches are trying guys out now to see if they might be useful in certain positions later on. And can we give Wang two, maybe three practices at a new position before we write him off? Jeez!

You beg Buddy to add "just a good starter." Here's the thing: Buddy thinks he has added several "good starters." He thinks Urbik is that and more. He really likes Pears. And Hairston. And Wrotto. And...well, you get the idea. And apparently Nix did try to add a supposedly above-average starter in Clabo, though, let's be fair, until fairly recently Clabo was one of those guys who was considered something of a flop. Had he been with the Bills two years ago, I can imagine the critics around here begging Brandon to get rid of him in favor of "just a good starter."

Again, this is not directed just at you but at the numbingly lame coterie of fans whose "insights" can be reduced to "the Bills suck; every player on every other team is better than anyone we have; Buddy's missing the boat; any decent GM should be able to go out on any given day and pluck off the next franchise QB, the next franchise LT, the next franchise MLB...except for the Bills; the Bills screwed up with Maybin/Whitner/(add your choice of flop) so therefore the new regime will continue to do the same thing. And on and on.

Will the Bills win 2 games this year? 6? 14? Go 19-0? You don't know, I don't know, nobody knows. But right now, they show more promise of success than they have in years, an are more fun and interesting to follow than I can remember since the heydey of Flutie-mania. For this long-suffering Bills fan -- I went to my first Bills practice at the Knox estate in East Aurora in 1960 -- that'll do for now. For me anyway.

You're the OL coach of the Bills aren't you? Hey, come on. This team has had putrid OL's for a decade now. You think Buddy has addressed the line by picking up an assortment of waiver wire and PS acquisitions - really? I get it that players improve. But we have three honest to God question marks on this line. Bill Belichek's book talks about Buffalo's "horsesh*t line" because that's what it has been. That they took a run at Clabo was good, but it didnt' work. The idea is still correct, we do not have quality and depth at these key positions. Maybe Wang will improve. Great. He's got a few weeks to be able to handle some big time NFL pass rushers. I'm just saying Buddy has had a year now to at least pick up one other solid starter to brace this OL. Having a one or two question marks is a lot better than what we have now, other teams cast offs and UDFA's who may "weigh a ton' but can't protect the passer or pave the way for a run game.

And by the way, I'm not sure where all the Whitner/Maybin and other references made it into your response, but those criticisms didn't come from me. I just think our OL, as configured, is not very good and I stand by the statement.

Edited by Green Lightning

Gailey and Wannstedt both have many proven years in the NFL. One with good offensive experience and the other with defensive experience. These guys compliment each other and make our team better. Gailey is not all on his own here the way you are making this out, Harey. He now has an assistant head coach which will help him in many ways.

Am I worried about the OL? You betcha. But I am not nearly as worried as in years past, for a number of reasons. The spread offense does make it possible to quickly get rid of the ball and Fitz has all ready proven that he can do that. The idea that the Wildcat can be used not only for running plays, but also passing is an unproven concept in the NFL, but Gailey clearly is willing to try something that has potential unlike dead Dick J. We do still utilize a big fullback and now we have a good looking big tight end, which adds strength to our offensive line.

All in all, Gailey seems to be a forward thinking coach. He still will utilize proven plays, but he isn't shy about doing something new. Players love that and will work harder because of it. He doesn't beat around the bush when he talks and pretty much says what he means. I like his style and I like his vision. The other thing I like is that he doesn't pretend to be perfect and is willing to make adjustments when he realizes something isn't working. Things like ditching Edwards in favor of Fitz and the hiring of Wannstedt comes to mind.

I could be wrong about this, but I haven't felt this good about coaching in long while. The offensive line is what it is. The coaches know that and will do what they can to make it productive. The players know that and will do their part as well. It won't be easy, but I think they all ready have a handle on it.

Sorry, I just don't see this vision that you speak of...let me just say that IMO I think Gailey gets far to much credit for the play of Fitzpatrick. So the real question is...can the Bills adequately protect the QB, and can they run the ball when needed?

What helped make the Kelly era offense so effective was the play of Thurman Thomas, the Bills had a running game that nobody could stop. If you go back and look at the stats for those years you will see that the Bills often ran more then they threw. They also had a #1 pick at G, a #1 pick at LT, a pro bowl C obtained from the USFL and overall a very very good offensive line most of those glory years.

I just don't see any team winning in this league with a patchwork O line and constantly throwing the ball...unless you have Big Ben / Aaron Rodgers.....but then you had better have their defense and receiving corps too. Lets not forget that both those QB's recently suffered concussions, and if Rodgers concussion last year was severe, and if he missed more then one game from that concussion, then the Packers don't even make the playoffs, much less the SB. Kinda why I think both teams have recently spent high draft choices on upgrading their O lines.

I just remember the Bills last two games of the season last year... I also remember Fitz virtually running for his life against the Jets. I look at this year as the very first year Fitz will be the starting QB on an NFL team, the guy deserves better protection. The Bills finally find a QB who is decent... I just don't get an offensive minded HC not building the line first thing...2 years now.

Criticizing Nix because he and 30 other NFL GMs passed on Gaither?

Yes, but alot of those other 30 GMs have at least one NFL caliber OT on their squad... We have none...

Actually, I am not a big fan of Gaither... But look at all the other OTs that we apparently didn't even attempt to sign... Free from Dallas and Yanda from Baltimore just to name a couple... Nothing says that you have to wait on Clabo like we did while he took our offer back to Atlanta to match... We would have had to overpay ANYONE to come here but when you are sitting on over 30 million in cap space you can afford to overspend abit - especially at a critical position... Clabo was hardly the only up and coming young player out there....