Brad Smith or Braylon Edwards?

Former Pro Bowl WR Braylon Edwards has just singed a 1 year 3.5 million dollar contract, which is less than than what the bills will pay Brad Smith. Brad Smith is more of a utility guy, he returns kicks, catches the ball, and can qb in a pinch. Edwards however, is a more established receiver. I was shocked by how little money Edwards received. On a seperate note, Clabo was resigned by the falcons for a similar salary to what Langston Walker signed several years ago. Former Bill and current sirius radio host Ross Tucker has been very critical of the bills for not spending money on players who will make a difference. It appears that several difference makers could have been had. This year's cap figure is actually less than last years. It seems this year would have been the year to overspend, as the bills have a lot of cap space while other teams did not. The next few years the cap will go up and up, making it more difficult in the future for the bills to sign good players as there will be more competition.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/08/04/san.francisco.49ers.braylon.edwards.ap/index.html?sct=nfl_t2_a4

Smith gives them a good Wildcat back, Special team returner, and slot receiver. Edwards is a headcase who will likely start the season suspended and is likely more trouble then he is worth. The Bills overpaid for Smith a specialty player but at least they will get a player that gives them a lot of utility.

Given Edwards' off the filed problems and attitude, I'd chose Smith....but Calabo is a completely different story. They should have paid big for him.

Agreed....Smith is a multidimensional talent who will add so much to this team. I'd rather have him than the locker room cancer, and league suspension waiting to happen, Braylon Edwards. This team is loaded with talent at WR.

I also agree that the Clabo situation is a completely different story...in fact I have heard that the Bills were offering Clabo close to 7 million dollars per year will a great deal of guaranteed money (sorry I have no link). Apparently, he chose to take the 5 million per year (must be tough) and have the chance to win a championship. Honestly, I can't say that I blame him all that much.

I'd take Edwards over Smith any day of the week. It's not even close.

That doesn't make any sense. So you would bump Evans or Johnson? In addition it's about need, we don't need another starter. Smith fits into a role. You have to look beyond just Edwards is better than Smith. Edwards also isn't the type of player we like from a character stand point. Lastly he drops way too many balls and has way too big of an attitude, as evidenced by his one year deal and struggle to get on with a team.

Any way you look at it, the Jets just got worse. Braylon > Plaxico at this point in their careers. Double the piss out of Santonio, hopefully Wilson can cover Keller, and Sanchez will have some problems...that is if we can hold them to under "X" amount of yards on the ground.

Smith gives them a good Wildcat back, Special team returner, and slot receiver.

Give me Edwards any day of the week. We already had a Wildcat back, Fred Jackson. Ran it well the first couple of games only never to be seen again. We also already had several good returners, Roscoe, Spiller, Leodis, McGee.

I can't imagine us running it this year. Edwards is a stud. If that means we gotta cut Donald Jones or Roosevelt, so be it. You win with talent in this league.

This...but the complete opposite. And it's not even close.

Yep. I'm actually shocked at how many people feel Edwards is a "beast"...

And lol at whomever it was that said Edwards is better than Burress. Even with his tweaked ankle and 2 years removed from the NFL, Plax would run absolute circles around Braylon, especially WRT actually catching the ball, you know, their primary reason for existence...

How many balls did Edwards drop last year? And how many games is he actually going to play this year?

But his career has been marked by inconsistency on the field - he led the NFL with 16 drops in 2008 - and legal problems off it. It's possible Edwards could face a suspension from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell based on his involvement in a bar fight in Birmingham, Mich., early Monday. Edwards, who said he has not spoken with Goodell, has been implicated in an altercation in which two of his cousins have been charged with felonious assault for allegedly attacking two bouncers with a pocket knife and a fork. The bouncers were not seriously hurt, and police are still investigating the incident.

Edwards, who pleaded guilty in a drunk-driving case last month, also pleaded no contest to misdemeanor aggravated disorderly conduct after punching a man outside a Cleveland nightclub in 2009. The Browns traded Edwards to the Jets days after that incident.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/04/SPVU1KJL3Q.DTL#ixzz1U9Zd4Eyc

Agreed....Smith is a multidimensional talent who will add so much to this team. I'd rather have him than the locker room cancer, and league suspension waiting to happen, Braylon Edwards. This team is loaded with talent at WR.

I also agree that the Clabo situation is a completely different story...in fact I have heard that the Bills were offering Clabo close to 7 million dollars per year will a great deal of guaranteed money (sorry I have no link). Apparently, he chose to take the 5 million per year (must be tough) and have the chance to win a championship. Honestly, I can't say that I blame him all that much.

I hope they offered 7 million to Clabo. At least that would show they tried.

How many balls did Edwards drop last year? And how many games is he actually going to play this year?

http://www.sfgate.co...L#ixzz1U9Zd4Eyc

He actually had no drops last year amazingly. NY media actually praised him for his play last season. So that argument is void. I would also go for Braylon, despite the off-field issues as he would be the most talented receiver on the team. His numbers are deceivingly low as Dirty Sanchez did a great job spreading the ball around with 4 receivers over 50 catches and another over 40 in a run first offense.

If you think of it in terms of the number of plays each player will run a game I'd have to say Edwards. Smith might get say 4 or 5 plays at wildcat per game and return at worst 5 kick-offs. I'll be pretty surprized if he plays any WR at all.

So maybe 10 plays vs 40+ plays minimum.

He actually had no drops last year amazingly. NY media actually praised him for his play last season. So that argument is void. I would also go for Braylon, despite the off-field issues as he would be the most talented receiver on the team. His numbers are deceivingly low as Dirty Sanchez did a great job spreading the ball around with 4 receivers over 50 catches and another over 40 in a run first offense.

I don't think he's hands down more talented than Evans. And we don't know what the ceiling is for Johnson to evaluate how talented he is or might be.

Given Edwards' off the filed problems and attitude, I'd chose Smith....but Calabo is a completely different story. They should have paid big for him.

Edwards would have to accept a reserve roll...which he wouldn't. Smith was brought in for different things, different match ups. Chan knows what he is doing

I can't believe people would prefer to have Edwards over smith. Have you seen Edwards play the last few seasons? I'd rather have David Nelson out there than Edwards. At least there's a chance Nelson will become special. Edwards was very good for a year....then....well.....not so good. With smith, We have a player that can be our wildcat qb, Wr, KR, pr, and gunner on st. He's a player that was LOVED in ny. Braylon was the #1 #2 Wr and the jets could care less that he's gone. My buddies that are jets fans are beyond happy. He's a lot like donte whitner for us. He's talented, but just doesnt seem to know how to get the best out of his abilities.

I'd take brad smith 10 out of 10 days.