Donte say's his heart is in Buffalo

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill maintain as long as the staff doesn't think he was sulking or showing frustration on the field or in the lockerroom, I'd offer a 3 year 4-5m per in a heartbeat.

I'm sorry but if Byrd or Wilson get hurt all we've got is scott. Searcy should not get real time this year outside of special teams and very limited subpackages. We need 4 bodies that can play if we are serious here- huff got 8 per for one good season and Roman hands of stone Harper got 7 per. Donte is a value at 5 if his head isn't tooooo fragile. Coaches would know best. We will see.

Also it's funny how everyone loves a guy like boss who's out there but donte being out there is proof he's a bum.

3 years 11 million is 3.6 million a year, that's a fair offer if you ask me. His value is depth and there is value in that but lets not overpay the guy just to not hurt his feelings.

Didn't Edwards beat out Fitz also........ justt saying! Wilson is as good if not better at a much better price and atittude.

Yeah, then he was cut. Donte continued to start. It shows they replace those that need to be replaced.

I noticed that today he was very quite on twitter.... I like Whitner... I have his jersey (got it for $20)... I think he is a good player.. He thinks he is great... He might not be either... I just wish a team would sign him.... Kinda curious what he gets...

if he's neither good nor great why do you wish a team would sign him? players who can't make a significant impact on a team like the bills really shouldn't be positing for top five money.

in addition, donte called attention to his deficiencies via twitter. he might have slipped under the radar if he was a touch more humble.

dude deserves what he gets. hopefully the vet minimum at best.

I say no to bringing back Donte Whitner.....a few reasons why?

Poor ball skills

Lacks any playmaking ability

Not a good tackler

Takes unnecessary penalties

Not a leader of men!

Unfashionable and over compensates with too much colonge

Says and tweets stupidness

While Buffalo’s Donte Whitner has never been amongst the elite safeties we’ve graded (in fact he’s at the other end of the scale with far more regularity), the five missed tackles he notched this season was good enough for a ratio of just one miss in 27.20 attempts, 7th best in the league, and bettered by just Hill in terms of full-time starters. In fact, Whitner was comfortably the most prolific safety in the study in terms of tackle attempts, and his ratio becomes all the more impressive when you consider that he stuck his head in there more times than any other safety, and more than four times as often as all but one of the players ahead of him on the list.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/18/tackling-safeties/

The guy is a good safety. He's a versatile player and should provide good depth. Nix should try to re-sign him cheap and tell him that he will have to battle for a starting job, either at safety or as a CB in certain packages.

Never understood why Donte gets so much hate on this board. I mean, he had absolutely no control over the fact the Bills reached for him at the 8 spot. None. It's just funny to me because if the Bills had taken him in Round 2, everyone would probably love him here. He plays hard. Speaks his mind. And is a solid starting safety in the NFL. Is he spectacular? Nope. But it's not his fault he's not Ed Reed. Dude plays his heart out every Sunday -- this despite the fact he has been stuck on a team that has been horrible for his entire career.

Blame the regime that picked him so high, not the player.

It's just funny that people get so heated over him. Like this post! I'm not even a huge Donte fan yet I'm taking the time to post about it. It's just a weird psychological thing for Bills fans (or maybe it's not unique to Buffalo and rather it's just a sports thing). I'm always fascinated by it.

Edited by tgreg99

Never understood why Donte gets so much hate on this board. I mean, he had absolutely no control over the fact the Bills reached for him at the 8 spot. None. It's just funny to me because if the Bills had taken him in Round 2, everyone would probably love him here. He plays hard. Speaks his mind. And is a solid starting safety in the NFL. Is he spectacular? Nope. But it's not his fault he's not Ed Reed. Dude plays his heart out every Sunday -- this despite the fact he has been stuck on a team that has been horrible for his entire career.

It's just funny that people get so heated over him. Like this post! I'm not even a huge Donte fan yet I'm taking the time to post about it. It's just a weird psychological thing for Bills fans (or maybe it's not unique to Buffalo and rather it's just a sports thing). I'm always fascinated by it.

I've been saying the same thing for years. Donte is one of the best tackling safeties in the league. I wish he were better in coverage, but he is solid at the point of attack. That said, he needs to grow up asap, cause his mouth gets him into trouble a lot. I would be very happy re-signing him at around $4M.

Whitner isn't really so much different than all of us on this board, we also have a desire to win and none of us can cover an NFL tight end either.

Good one.

Whitner is a solid player, and I couldn't care less about his tweets.

But my guess is that the Bills have moved on. If their starting lineup at safety is George Wilson and Jairus Byrd, and their depth at the position is Bryan Scott and Searcy, where in that equation would Whitner fit? They don't need more depth players at safety, and Wilson's pass coverage is better than Whitner's.

I agree. When Nix said "I don't think he wants to be here and he probably won't" I took that as a sign that the door had been closed.

Whitner was given the opportunity for a contract extension. Instead he chose to hit free agency. He cleaned out his locker, thinking the other teams in the league would line up to pay him elite safety money. Obviously that hasn't happened.

If a guy signs an extension for below his market value, that's loyalty. Clearly Whitner hasn't given us that. Right now he's an out of work safety offering the Bills the opportunity to . . . pay more money for him than would any other team in the league? Forgive me if this doesn't make me all gooey and misty-eyed with gratitude.

Any offer to Whitner should be based on cold logic, not on emotion. Adding Whitner wouldn't upgrade the quality of the Bills' starting safeties, and it's not like we need more bodies for depth. He'd provide a lot more value to some other team--a team that needs help at safety.

One of two things will happen. 1) Teams in need of safeties will make a strong push to sign Whitner. If this is the case, I assume those teams will outbid the Bills for Whitner's services. He's worth a lot more to a team which needs a safety than to the Bills. 2) Teams that need safeties will decide Whitner isn't the answer they're looking for. If they don't want him, why should we?

Either way, I just don't see how it could make sense to bring him back.

Sorry Fitzbeardy… I totally agree with this post, almost word for word. While I wish Donte the best I see no point at all in bringing him back. Both sides need to move forward, IMO.

Sometimes it's really clear when something has run its course. IMO, this is one of those times.

Wilson couldn't beat out Whitner last year for the starting job, what makes you think he'd beat him out this year?

A change in the DC's priorities. When you know early in the 2010 season that you have the worst run defense in the entire NFL [see link below], and it's so bad that you start changing your basic defensive scheme less than half way through the season, and you are coming off a 2009 season where your secondary had a huge number of INTs, you will start your best run-support strong safety. That was Whitner.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/11/1743000/bills-run-defense-ranked-dead-last-in-nfl

For 2011, with Dareus, Barnett and a reportedly bigger and stronger Troupe, the DC will be less desperate to stop the run, and is more likely to play his best all-around strong safety. Reasonable people can differ about whether that's Whitner or Wilson, but it gives Wilson a better chance to start even if Whitner returns.

It's amazing how much fans are concerned about player salaries.. It's not your money why do you care what the guy is paid?

His tweets ruined your life? Your life must be pretty sad if his tweets ruined it. How about this.. don't read twitter?

Ha It's a joke...just like Donte's cover skills!

Whitner is an extreme bipolar tweeter...

Ive had to stop following his tweets, because he tweets throughout the day about tv, fighting with Bills fans, working out, food and getting arrested!

Paid wise...Sorry, as a fan I like to stay updated on the salary cap...who we could eventually sign and.....mostly--GM's who throw major money at players who are average or below average--example players are Langston Walker...Derrick Dockery..Chris Kelsay!

Overall, it's logic and the basic economics of the game today...you pay a player... an average player 5-6 million to possibly start or be a backup--it starts to add up and you dont have the cap space to go after that prized free agent or give that star an extension--that's why fans are interested in how much a player gets!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

There are a number of reasons, and they're not all Donte's fault or something he can control:

1 -- Levy/Jauron drafted him at #8 despite what most believed were pressing needs elsewhere (can anyone say Ngata?).

2 -- For a player drafted that highly, fans expected (rightly or wrongly) a "playmaker" rather than a "good tackler."

3 -- The Twitter Thing. Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick, Donte...shut the :censored: up.

4 -- The inflated view of self worth.

5 -- The inability to cover a TE if you gave him a net.

Donte has many positive characteristics as well. He was a vocal leader, and I'm sure we all remember the reports of him hosting film-watching get togethers at his house. He's really good in run support.

At the end of the day, however, I believe this ship has sailed. How does a loudmouth and self-proclaimed team leader come back after going through the emasculation of believing he's a top-5 safety, turning down 5M per, and then accepting a bargain basement offer?

Donte needs new pastures, and the Bills need to move on.

There are a number of reasons, and they're not all Donte's fault or something he can control:

1 -- Levy/Jauron drafted him at #8 despite what most believed were pressing needs elsewhere (can anyone say Ngata?).

2 -- For a player drafted that highly, fans expected (rightly or wrongly) a "playmaker" rather than a "good tackler."

3 -- The Twitter Thing. Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick, Donte...shut the :censored: up.

4 -- The inflated view of self worth.

5 -- The inability to cover a TE if you gave him a net.

Donte has many positive characteristics as well. He was a vocal leader, and I'm sure we all remember the reports of him hosting film-watching get togethers at his house. He's really good in run support.

At the end of the day, however, I believe this ship has sailed. How does a loudmouth and self-proclaimed team leader come back after going through the emasculation of believing he's a top-5 safety, turning down 5M per, and then accepting a bargain basement offer?

Donte needs new pastures, and the Bills need to move on.

Thanks for this. Hadn't thought much about that last part before. It's an interesting angle and does make sense.

I still don't really have a problem with him speaking his mind so long as he plays hard every down (which he does). But then again, I don't ever follow twitter so I don't really know how out of control he is on there. But your other points are right on.

In the words of Ruben Brown: Nix to Dante, "If the phones not ringing, it's me."

However, if we can get him cheap, sure bring him back! At the least he gives depth and experience, and he is not an awful player.

His curse is that he was drafted too high and has had to try and live up to an 8th over-all pick, something he never was, and never will be. If only Maybin had been as productive as him :flirt:

Edited by CSBill

I don't know, I think he is bad a pass coverage and takes bad angles at times in run support. But he is a good tackler (better than Wilson from what I have seen of the 2 of them) but they did draft a replacement. I know he is good at some stuff and like him personally. I think the twitter thing, well these guys are young, it is a medium of the masses and let's face it the masses love stupid drama. When our new MLB starts up with that stuff people around here are not going to like it much either lol.

One the whole I think if they keep him here it will be more or less on the cheap, which could be a kick in the ass that sparks something. Just give him a 2 year deal and see how it goes is my vote. He is a young guy and I don't know if he has hit his ceiling, he was badly coached and utilized by Jauron IMO, maybe he will break out. Who knows? Experience and poteninal are worth something