Donte say's his heart is in Buffalo

If you REALLY want to know, :doh:

He's still on this Steely Dan board I read every now & then, do a Edit>Find on "Dean":

http://www.dandom.com/blue/index.html

Just as big of a jackass with people who don't agree with him on there as he is on here. :D

It wasn't him disagreeing with me. It was the way he just made sh*t up and his utter man love for Lil D. I don't blame him, I blame the weed.

I actually want Nix to sign Lil D. He was the most entertaining Buffalo Bill Monday through Saturday!

Edited by John Cocktosten

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't him disagreeing with me. It was the way he just made sh*t up and his utter man love for Lil D. I don't blame him, I blame the weed.

I actually want Nix to sign Lil D. He was the most entertaining Buffalo Bill Monday through Saturday!

Indeed. :lol:

I wrote a little piece on my stupid blog (sorry, cheap plug) that Donte coming back isn't the worst idea. I feel our secondary is pretty strong and adding him would be a good thing. I honestly wanted nothing to do with the guy when he acted like a crybaby on twitter but now I feel sympathy for the guy because it appears he genuinely wants to be a Buffalo Bill which is a rare thing. I know many, many folks do not like the guy but I think he took a lot of blame on a really bad D last year when he was being asked to do a lot of different things. Either way, I'll be alright. There's a part of me that wants to move on from the Donte Whitner era and then there's another part of me that wouldn't care if he came back as long as he made a reasonable amount of money (compared to his original demands).

I wrote a little piece on my stupid blog (sorry, cheap plug) that Donte coming back isn't the worst idea. I feel our secondary is pretty strong and adding him would be a good thing. I honestly wanted nothing to do with the guy when he acted like a crybaby on twitter but now I feel sympathy for the guy because it appears he genuinely wants to be a Buffalo Bill which is a rare thing. I know many, many folks do not like the guy but I think he took a lot of blame on a really bad D last year when he was being asked to do a lot of different things. Either way, I'll be alright. There's a part of me that wants to move on from the Donte Whitner era and then there's another part of me that wouldn't care if he came back as long as he made a reasonable amount of money (compared to his original demands).

I agree with you that Lil D is versatile. However, he's just very average at everything.

Here is a compromise for those who want Lil D back. Give the starting job to Wilson and let Lil D tweet Wilson's thoughts on the game. That way we get the best twitterer and the better player on the field. WIN WIN!!!

I agree with you that Lil D is versatile. However, he's just very average at everything.

Here is a compromise for those who want Lil D back. Give the starting job to Wilson and let Lil D tweet Wilson's thoughts on the game. That way we get the best twitterer and the better player on the field. WIN WIN!!!

Wilson couldn't beat out Whitner last year for the starting job, what makes you think he'd beat him out this year?

Furthermore, Wilson is the same weight as Donte, only 2 inches taller. Perhaps you should refer to him as Lil Georgie?

Wilson couldn't beat out Whitner last year for the starting job, what makes you think he'd beat him out this year?

Furthermore, Wilson is the same weight as Donte, only 2 inches taller. Perhaps you should refer to him as Lil Georgie?

If you are correct, who tweets in that scenario?

Whitner was given the opportunity for a contract extension. Instead he chose to hit free agency. He cleaned out his locker, thinking the other teams in the league would line up to pay him elite safety money. Obviously that hasn't happened.

If a guy signs an extension for below his market value, that's loyalty. Clearly Whitner hasn't given us that. Right now he's an out of work safety offering the Bills the opportunity to . . . pay more money for him than would any other team in the league? Forgive me if this doesn't make me all gooey and misty-eyed with gratitude.

Any offer to Whitner should be based on cold logic, not on emotion. Adding Whitner wouldn't upgrade the quality of the Bills' starting safeties, and it's not like we need more bodies for depth. He'd provide a lot more value to some other team--a team that needs help at safety.

One of two things will happen. 1) Teams in need of safeties will make a strong push to sign Whitner. If this is the case, I assume those teams will outbid the Bills for Whitner's services. He's worth a lot more to a team which needs a safety than to the Bills. 2) Teams that need safeties will decide Whitner isn't the answer they're looking for. If they don't want him, why should we?

Either way, I just don't see how it could make sense to bring him back.

Whitner was given the opportunity for a contract extension. Instead he chose to hit free agency. He cleaned out his locker, thinking the other teams in the league would line up to pay him elite safety money. Obviously that hasn't happened.

If a guy signs an extension for below his market value, that's loyalty. Clearly Whitner hasn't given us that. Right now he's an out of work safety offering the Bills the opportunity to . . . pay more money for him than would any other team in the league? Forgive me if this doesn't make me all gooey and misty-eyed with gratitude.

Any offer to Whitner should be based on cold logic, not on emotion. Adding Whitner wouldn't upgrade the quality of the Bills' starting safeties, and it's not like we need more bodies for depth. He'd provide a lot more value to some other team--a team that needs help at safety.

One of two things will happen. 1) Teams in need of safeties will make a strong push to sign Whitner. If this is the case, I assume those teams will outbid the Bills for Whitner's services. He's worth a lot more to a team which needs a safety than to the Bills. 2) Teams that need safeties will decide Whitner isn't the answer they're looking for. If they don't want him, why should we?

Either way, I just don't see how it could make sense to bring him back.

Wrong.

Michael Huff, the safety drafted one pick ahead of Whitner, just signed a 4yr/$32 mil contract with the Raiders. I'm willing to bet that's about what Donte thinks he's worth right now, but I'd be stunned if he got that from Buffalo.

I think his days as a Bill are over.

Edited by MattyT

Michael Huff, the safety drafted one pick ahead of Whitner, just signed a 4yr/$32 mil contract with the Raiders. I'm willing to bet that's about what Donte thinks he's worth right now, but I'd be stunned if he got that from Buffalo.

I think his days as a Bill are over.

Safe to say he won't get anything close to that if he wants to be a Bill. Buddy was done with him. Donte is desperate and wants back in. In this scenario, Buddy will offer him what he feels is fair (if he even bothers to do that) or less than their original offer to Donte.

While agree that Whitner should be re-signed at a reduced rate, if Wilson was the better safety, Wilson would have started last season, NOT Donte. If Donte re-ups for a reasonable price, i'd bet on him winning the starting SS job out of camp...again.

Or as Thoner says, the only reason whitner was starting over Wilson is because hes a first rd pick (with the old regime) and Wilson was a udfa....

Lol

George Wilson's EVERYTHING is better than Whitner's. Better instincts, better hands, better height, better tackling, better playmaker, better leadership... better player, period.

No

Didn't Edwards beat out Fitz also........ justt saying! Wilson is as good if not better at a much better price and atittude.

again, if donte is such a playmaker, wouldn't other teams have snatched him up by now?

dude overestimated his value. took to twitter. got burned. put his tail between his legs and shuffled back...

luckily we have plenty of space under the cap for a backup...

Edited by Dirtbag

Give him a 3 year 11 million dollar deal with a low guarantee. He can take it or leave it. Wilson approximates his production anyway. I do think having him back would give the secondary a lot deep on the back end.

Ill maintain as long as the staff doesn't think he was sulking or showing frustration on the field or in the lockerroom, I'd offer a 3 year 4-5m per in a heartbeat.

I'm sorry but if Byrd or Wilson get hurt all we've got is scott. Searcy should not get real time this year outside of special teams and very limited subpackages. We need 4 bodies that can play if we are serious here- huff got 8 per for one good season and Roman hands of stone Harper got 7 per. Donte is a value at 5 if his head isn't tooooo fragile. Coaches would know best. We will see.

Also it's funny how everyone loves a guy like boss who's out there but donte being out there is proof he's a bum.

Ill maintain as long as the staff doesn't think he was sulking or showing frustration on the field or in the lockerroom, I'd offer a 3 year 4-5m per in a heartbeat.

I'm sorry but if Byrd or Wilson get hurt all we've got is scott. Searcy should not get real time this year outside of special teams and very limited subpackages. We need 4 bodies that can play if we are serious here- huff got 8 per for one good season and Roman hands of stone Harper got 7 per. Donte is a value at 5 if his head isn't tooooo fragile. Coaches would know best. We will see.

Also it's funny how everyone loves a guy like boss who's out there but donte being out there is proof he's a bum.

If a Bills fan is watching some other team's TE, it's often because that other team is playing the Bills. The worst starting TE in the league would probably look average against the Bills, and an average TE would probably look like he belongs in the Hall of Fame. Bills fans come away overestimating the value of other teams' TEs.

as long as he doesn't sulk or show frustration or his head isn't too fragile he's a value at $4-5 million a year? wow.

should he do anything to actually deserve more than all of us will collectively make this year? like occasionally make an interception or two?

I wouldn't call it sulking, but he was absolutely half-steppin it out there for the last half of the season.

Probably self-preservation in advance of his big payday, but there's no doubt he was tip-toeing through the tulips.