Front office lacks urgency

mjt328

So you know how they act? Secret cams at OBD? You have inside knowledge on what offers Nix is actually making, how he's working the phone, which agents he's in touch with?

Seems to me that Nix is acting in complete harmony with his stated philosophy. He says his intent is to build a Super Bowl team. While he might upgrade some positions through free agency, primarily he'll look to build through the draft.

Nix and others seem to believe that the marquee free agents are overpriced. There's a salary cap and if you overspend on one position, you have no choice but to underspend on others. It's better to get your stars through the draft, especially now with a rookie wage scale. And sure you might sign some FAs but if you continually chase after the overpriced Top 20, you'll get in trouble.

5 year re-building plans don't fly anymore. Those went out in the early 1990's with the advent of UFA. In fact, if you aren't clearly in serious contention for your division title going into year 3, you are screwed.

With the new CBA, the building blocks of your franchise are free agents after 4 years. Digest that.

That's why it perplexes me that fans were so accepting of taking a step back last year. It's not like they gutted the roster or added a bunch of talent since Perry Fewell finished up the season a couple years ago.

Fitzpatrick is still the QB.

It's very possible that 4 of the same OL will be starting that the team intended to be starting all season under Jauron/Fewell.

Evans, Johnson and Parrish, the top 3 receivers, were all here.

Fred Jackson is still starting at RB.

The top 5 in the secondary could all be holdovers unless Williams unseats someone in nickel/dime.

Kyle Williams and Kelsay were here. Williams remains the best player in the front 7 and there isn't another player in the front 7 who is coming off a good season.

The idea that this has been some sort of start from scratch re-build job is ridiculous. Buddy and Chan love most of Jauron's roster. They clearly haven't made enough changes to excuse another losing season.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you know how they act? Secret cams at OBD? You have inside knowledge on what offers Nix is actually making, how he's working the phone, which agents he's in touch with?

Seems to me that Nix is acting in complete harmony with his stated philosophy. He says his intent is to build a Super Bowl team. While he might upgrade some positions through free agency, primarily he'll look to build through the draft.

Nix and others seem to believe that the marquee free agents are overpriced. There's a salary cap and if you overspend on one position, you have no choice but to underspend on others. It's better to get your stars through the draft, especially now with a rookie wage scale. And sure you might sign some FAs but if you continually chase after the overpriced Top 20, you'll get in trouble.

The salary cap is irrelevant, and has been since about 2005. It will remain irrelevant going forward.

I'm not buying that. However, for argument's sake, let's say your correct. What exactly is your point?

Are you saying that Nix is the one person responsible for Maybin being on the team?

Are you 100% positive that Nix could've stopped Jauron & Brandon from drafting Maybin?

I have no proof that Nix did not want Maybin. Yet I do not think you have any proof that shows he did want Maybin.

Let's not forget that during that same draft we got Eric Wood, Jairus Byrd & Andy Levitre. Does Nix get any credit for having influence in drafting them?

Of course he does. The point is that Nix either recommended Maybin (he was the head of scouting) or he didn't. If you believe his scouting report (that was his job) labeled Maybin a dud, a guy you don't want to take in no uncertain terms, then you are saying Jauron/Levy paid little attention to the reports of their "National Scout"--they simply ignored him. If that's the case, you can't say he gets credit for the good picks.

I meant the fanbase lacks patience with the Nix/Gailey regime's rebuild plan. I should have been more specific.

I understood. "_________ regime's building plan."

Of course he does. The point is that Nix either recommended Maybin (he was the head of scouting) or he didn't. If you believe his scouting report (that was his job) labeled Maybin a dud, a guy you don't want to take in no uncertain terms, then you are saying Jauron/Levy paid little attention to the reports of their "National Scout"--they simply ignored him. If that's the case, you can't say he gets credit for the good picks.

That is, unless his scouting and Jauron's/Levy's opinions lined up on those good picks. People can disagree on one thing, and then agree on multiple other things.

Why is it that Nix's report must either say "draft him" or "he's a dud?" What about, "the kid has unbelievable athleticism and under the right guidance could be a fierce pass rusher, but he's only done it for 10 games so I don't think he's a good risk in the 1st round?"

Much to your chagrin, the latter would fall in line with EVERYTHING Buddy has told us since taking over as GM. But it doesn't fit your agenda, I understand that.

Why is it that Nix's report must either say "draft him" or "he's a dud?" What about, "the kid has unbelievable athleticism and under the right guidance could be a fierce pass rusher, but he's only done it for 10 games so I don't think he's a good risk in the 1st round?"

Much to your chagrin, the latter would fall in line with EVERYTHING Buddy has told us since taking over as GM. But it doesn't fit your agenda, I understand that.

If I believed that, I would say so.

You don't care to address the first part of my response? Figures.

Thought I did.

If I believed that Nix argued against picking Maybin in the first (as you describe), I would say so.

There would have to be something Nix and Jauron shared to have Maybin rise to the first round pick on the Bills draft board. That's my opinion.

Thought I did.

If I believed that Nix argued against picking Maybin in the first (as you describe), I would say so.

There would have to be something Nix and Jauron shared to have Maybin rise to the first round pick on the Bills draft board. That's my opinion.

Has Nix, or has Nix not, mentioned on numerous occasions he is not a fan of the one hit wonder type of player? I've heard it at least half a dozen times. Why would you presume to "opine" he completely went against something that is clearly his philosophy with respect to Maybin? It doesn't make logical sense to me.

That is the first time that I've ever seen that mentioned. I stand corrected.

As much as I respect guys like Evans, Schobel, Kelsay and a few other vets for keeping their mouths shut and saying the right things through years of frustrating seasons, I'm still hoping one of them will blow up and tell all. Maybe Donte will be that guy who finally goes public with what we've all sensed was a total clusterf$@# in the years between Donahoe and Nix, in terms of management and decision making.

Has Nix, or has Nix not, mentioned on numerous occasions he is not a fan of the one hit wonder type of player? I've heard it at least half a dozen times. Why would you presume to "opine" he completely went against something that is clearly his philosophy with respect to Maybin? It doesn't make logical sense to me.

Because he's smarter and more insightful than anyone on this board, and also has a front-row seat in the war room.

Actually, since WEO was obviously there yet did nothing to stop it, I blame him for the selection.

It's amazing that Tampa Bay, Green Bay and Pittsburgh gets accolades and that'a boys for not spending big in free agency and instead, building through the draft and keeping their own guys.

Also known as what the Bills are doing.

Edited by dpberr

It's amazing that Tampa Bay, Green Bay and Pittsburgh gets accolades and that'a boys for not spending big in free agency and instead, building through the draft and keeping their own guys.

Also known as what the Bills are doing.

It's hard to win a Super Bowl in the NFL.

As much as I respect guys like Evans, Schobel, Kelsay and a few other vets for keeping their mouths shut and saying the right things through years of frustrating seasons,

My recollection is that Schobel kindof freaked out in 2009 when the wheels fell off and told reporters about it.

That is the first time that I've ever seen that mentioned. I stand corrected.

notice that the line scapegoating Dick as responsible for Maybin is not attributed to anyone in the Bills organization

My recollection is that it came from Modrak while he was still employed.

another in a long line of retroactive revelations from Modrak designed to cover his butt and the other members of the Inner Circle Jerk.

Thought I did.

Nix did state that if he were making the pick he wouldn't have taken a player such as Maybin because of his lack of college experience. Whenever you have a bust there is some cross finger-pointing. Most of the fingers pointed at Dick Jauron. At the time Tom Modrak was the top college scout in the organization. Even if Jauron ultimately made the pick Modrak had to have him highly rated. Nix eventually got rid of Modrak----the person who hired him. What does that tell you about Buddy trusting in a person who would be crucial to his own success?

notice that the line scapegoating Dick as responsible for Maybin is not attributed to anyone in the Bills organization

My recollection is that it came from Modrak while he was still employed.

another in a long line of retroactive revelations from Modrak designed to cover his butt and the other members of the Inner Circle Jerk.

I did but I asked the guy for a link and he provided it. I'm not sure that it exonerated Nix completely but it sounds like Modrak/DJ's mess.