UFO Found on Ocean Floor?

CosmicBills

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

We're just in two different places right now and I can't give you the attention you deserve. It's not you, it's me.

No it's not.  It's him!

(And you don't need any kind of Math to understand this.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you're convinced that astronomers would certainly be able to see a dangerous asteroid long before it could hit earth, you might want to read this:

https://www.popsci.com/science/asteroid-nt1-earth-planetary-defense/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

An excerpt:

"In the summer, astronomers spotted an airplane-sized asteroid—large enough to potentially destroy a city—on an almost-collision course with Earth. But no one saw the space rock until two days after it had zoomed past our planet.  This asteroid, named 2023 NT1, passed by us at only one-fourth of the distance from Earth to the moon."

* * *

It turns out that Earth has what Brin Bailey, UC Santa Barbara astronomer and lead author on the paper, calls a “blindspot.” Any asteroid coming from the direction of the sun gets lost in the glare of our nearest star.”

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Too much math?

I have some other things to accomplish in life before I spend 16 minutes on this. I don’t want to watch one side without rebuttal from the other.  That would honestly be fascinating, to have the greatest minds in the field in a round table discussion. Plenty of smart people with different ideas and varying opinions. 

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I have some other things to accomplish in life before I spend 16 minutes on this. I don’t want to watch one side without rebuttal from the other.  That would honestly be fascinating, to have the greatest minds in the field in a round table discussion. Plenty of smart people with different ideas and varying opinions. 

She’s an astrophysicist who makes no conclusions.  It’s literally a review of a scientific study.  There are no “sides” but if you must, here’s a rebuttal:

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

She’s an astrophysicist who makes no conclusions.  It’s literally a review of a scientific study.  There are no “sides” but if you must, here’s a rebuttal:

Color me skeptical with “you can probably guess what they found” right in the title. 

Few if any are saying there IS life out there, just that it is possible. To so firmly believe you can be sure something does not exist in the vastness of this universe seems like pure folly to me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/16/2023 at 7:18 AM, Augie said:

Color me skeptical with “you can probably guess what they found” right in the title. 

Few if any are saying there IS life out there, just that it is possible. To so firmly believe you can be sure something does not exist in the vastness of this universe seems like pure folly to me. 

The folly of man

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

@Augie in the video she DOES say it's possible for intelligent life to be out there.

1. We have a huge blind spot in our own galaxy

2. This study could only detect a signal from a Type 2 civilization or higher....not even a Type 1 or anything lesser, like Earth.

Why use only the data points which point toward your desired conclusion?  Why not use all the data points, regardless of the direction they point?

On 12/18/2023 at 11:29 PM, 4merper4mer said:

Why use only the data points which point toward your desired conclusion?  Why not use all the data points, regardless of the direction they point?

That’s funny, because that is exactly what you are doing. Does she say we have blind spots and limitations? So we can’t really know. Why can’t you concede that?  

1 hour ago, Augie said:

That’s funny, because that is exactly what you are doing. Does she say we have blind spots and limitations? So we can’t really know. Why can’t you concede that?  

Most of her videos have nothing to do with alien stuff.  I’d recommend checking some out.  Very interesting stuff usually.

As for the above, if your standard is set at examining every corner of the universe before coming to any logical conclusion about anything, I don’t know what to tell you.  It’d be like Newton needing to watch every apple that ever fell off of any tree before beginning to draw any conclusions/theories about gravity.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Most of her videos have nothing to do with alien stuff.  I’d recommend checking some out.  Very interesting stuff usually.

As for the above, if your standard is set at examining every corner of the universe before coming to any logical conclusion about anything, I don’t know what to tell you.  It’d be like Newton needing to watch every apple that ever fell off of any tree before beginning to draw any conclusions/theories about gravity.

I think we have barely peeked into the hall closet. I say we get smarter, keep looking and see what happens. 

We are NOT as smart as you think we are, I’m afraid. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I think we have barely peeked into the hall closet. I say we get smarter, keep looking and see what happens. 

We are NOT as smart as you think we are, I’m afraid. 

As George Carlin famously said:

"Think about how stupid the average person is.  Half of us are even dumber than that."

Technically he should have mentioned the "mean" rather than the "average," but that wouldn't be as funny.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

As George Carlin famously said:

"Think about how stupid the average person is.  Half of us are even dumber than that."

Technically he should have mentioned the "mean" rather than the "average," but that wouldn't be as funny.

No, do not mess with Carlin, lest you run the risk of having to explain the joke. That’s never good. The “average person” would get stuck on “the mean”, and not know enough to laugh.   😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/20/2023 at 3:13 PM, 4merper4mer said:

That's such a terrible example just completely dumbfoundingly awful, 1. He just observed the damn thing so there's that. 2. It's the theory of gravity he damn well better go out and observe it occurring everywhere else, he'd be an awful scientist if he didn't.

To apply the logic you're using here in reverse you're basically saying if I observe there are no deer in my living room I should just conclude they don't exist, why would I waste my time looking for them in the woods I've already done something somewhere and had a result.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That's such a terrible example just completely dumbfoundingly awful, 1. He just observed the damn thing so there's that. 2. It's the theory of gravity he damn well better go out and observe it occurring everywhere else, he'd be an awful scientist if he didn't.

To apply the logic you're using here in reverse you're basically saying if I observe there are no deer in my living room I should just conclude they don't exist, why would I waste my time looking for them in the woods I've already done something somewhere and had a result.

Whoa dude you are in serious need of critical thinking in place of your current wishful variety.

Are you actually saying that Newton observed gravity “occurring everywhere”?  Really?  How did he do that?  He lived from 1643 until 1727 on a planet called Earth.  That’s a reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllly small sample size of observations, no?  Are you suggesting his theory is invalid or useless?  How about all other theories that ever existed?  Their dumb too because you’re hoping there are aliens out there?

Your living room analogy is pretty bad too.  I’ve heard it spun a different way featuring a glass of water from the ocean.  There aren’t any whales in typical glasses of water from oceans so……..  The problem is, in that any glass of water from any ocean you can find mountains upon mountains of evidence for all sorts of life.  Still, a whale won’t fit so I suppose we’re doomed to ridiculous things being said.

The difference in analogies is that you’re trying to say the sample size is too small but your ignoring the actual sample size that has been taken.  The corner you’re in has forced you to call Isaac Newton a big dummy.  Doesn’t that sound a little off?

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Whoa dude you are in serious need of critical thinking in place of your current wishful variety.

Are you actually saying that Newton observed gravity “occurring everywhere”?  Really?  How did he do that?  He lived from 1643 until 1727 on a planet called Earth.  That’s a reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllly small sample size of observations, no?  Are you suggesting his theory is invalid or useless?  How about all other theories that ever existed?  Their dumb too because you’re hoping there are aliens out there?

Your living room analogy is pretty bad too.  I’ve heard it spun a different way featuring a glass of water from the ocean.  There aren’t any whales in typical glasses of water from oceans so……..  The problem is, in that any glass of water from any ocean you can find mountains upon mountains of evidence for all sorts of life.  Still, a whale won’t fit so I suppose we’re doomed to ridiculous things being said.

The difference in analogies is that you’re trying to say the sample size is too small but your ignoring the actual sample size that has been taken.  The corner you’re in has forced you to call Isaac Newton a big dummy.  Doesn’t that sound a little off?

Everybody observes gravity occurring everywhere, but when you're discovering/creating the theory of it from observations you don't see one thing and whelp I guess we'll call it good. You repeat it over and over again, you change variables and observe and repeat that and see if there are differences. Hell it took him decades from that observation to fully develop his theory and it wasn't just about an apple falling to the Earth because of Gravity but the orbit of the Moon and other celestial bodies. This is all pretty basic scientific method stuff, have you had a science class before?

As to the rest, you mean the thing I said to illustrate how stupid the thing you said was also ridiculous. 😱

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Everybody observes gravity occurring everywhere, but when you're discovering/creating the theory of it from observations you don't see one thing and whelp I guess we'll call it good. You repeat it over and over again, you change variables and observe and repeat that and see if there are differences. Hell it took him decades from that observation to fully develop his theory and it wasn't just about an apple falling to the Earth because of Gravity but the orbit of the Moon and other celestial bodies. This is all pretty basic scientific method stuff, have you had a science class before?

As to the rest, you mean the thing I said to illustrate how stupid the thing you said was also ridiculous. 😱

Objectivity is your friend.  Give it a shot sometimes.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 1:53 PM, 4merper4mer said:

But we do know there are trillions upon trillions upon trillions of ways they can fold and yet only one of those formed life.  You can twist as increasing the odds aliens exist but in fact, it makes it far far far less likely.  Math.

If we exist, there are others, period.

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

If we exist, there are others, period.

At first I wasn't convinced, but then you supported your assertion by writing "period," so you must be right, because if there was actually any doubt, you would have been required to write "semicolon" and consider other possibilities (or at least write "comma").

Think much?

• 3 weeks later...

I have an actual update ! ! !

Interesting article about potential NASA plans for a new roughly $11 billion telescope that would be parked in orbit near the existing James Webb space telescope more than a decade from now but have superior capabilities:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/this-planned-nasa-telescope-may-help-us-identify-worlds-like-our-own-180983601/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

Like all articles dealing with the search for extraterrestrial life, it makes some speculative assumptions, but at least it identifies them as such.

• Like (+1) 1

Although I think he is missing a few things that would point away from aliens, this is an interesting video that points out a few factors that imply that we might not be unique…..just early.

Either way, I thought some might find it interesting.  The first part is all science but about halfway through the implications for life are mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A little deep dive research if you’re so inclined.  It has not and probably cannot be proven that an odd perfect number doesn’t exist……but an odd perfect number doesn’t exist.  The whole video is fun but if you want the math that pertains to this topic you can skip to 25:22.  Basically the same type of stuff that the silliness around aliens revolves.

36 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

A little deep dive research if you’re so inclined.  It has not and probably cannot be proven that an odd perfect number doesn’t exist……but an odd perfect number doesn’t exist.  The whole video is fun but if you want the math that pertains to this topic you can skip to 25:22.  Basically the same type of stuff that the silliness around aliens revolves.

Math? At the 25:22 mark? That was a picture of some stars, but we knew they were out there already. I think you tried to bore me to death!!!  😂 

Edited by Augie

53 minutes ago, Augie said:

Math? At the 25:22 mark? That was a picture of some stars, but we knew they were out there already. I think you tried to bore me to death!!!  😂 

Starting at 25:22.  Listen to the two geeks talking to each other.

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Starting at 25:22.  Listen to the two geeks talking to each other.

I’m afraid the geekiness starts well before that mark….and just won’t STOP!     😂 

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s pretty geeky, I’ll grant you that.  But it is math.

Irrelevant to the topic (or much of anything else, as he admitted), party trick for geeks kinda math, but it is indeed math. No denying that.