NFL Trent to 3-4 defenses to reverse?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/ty-warren-bill-belichick-moving-away-from-the-3-4/

Ty Warren: Bill Belichick moving away from the 3-4

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 30, 2011, 6:28 AM EDT

Getty Images

On his way out the door after getting cut by the Patriots, defensive lineman Ty Warren offered some thoughts about the future of Bill Belichick’s defense, saying the coach who long favored a 3-4 front seems to be moving toward a 4-3.

“I think it looks like they’re trying to get away from the 3-4,” Warren said, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com.

Warren got that feeling from the time he spent in team meetings before he was released, and the Patriots’ personnel at the moment appears to line up well in a 4-3 front, with Albert Haynesworth and Vince Wilfork as the starting tackles and Jermaine Cunningham and Eric Moore as the starting ends.

“That’s my whole outlook on the deal,” Warren said. “You have to play to your personnel too.”

Belichick has always been brilliant about identifying the right talent and putting that talent in the right position to succeed. Right now, shifting toward more four-man fronts and fewer three-man fronts may be the best way for the talent on the Patriots to succeed.

I wouldn't call it a trend, it is more of a matter of Belichick putting players in a position where they can succeed. He's not going to waste someone like Haynesworth by making him a two gap nose tackle.

They've never been a strict 3-4 team anyways. They've always been able to shift to a 4-3 front, depending who they had on the field.

Yeah, I think teams are going away from strict 3-4 or 4-3 defenses. But Belichick is a 3-4 guy who has won 5 SB's using it, so anything that takes him away from that is fine by me. :thumbsup:

Edited by Doc

I think more than anything, teams are adapting and becoming more versitle. Bellicheck and many others(Chan Included) realize you have to be able to do many different things and show different fronts on both Offense and Defense. That means more hybrid defenses running both 3/4 and 4/3 in games. It's a matter of changing things on defense to adapt to the teams many offensive fronts that are seen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/ty-warren-bill-belichick-moving-away-from-the-3-4/

Getty Images

On his way out the door after getting cut by the Patriots, defensive lineman Ty Warren offered some thoughts about the future of Bill Belichick’s defense, saying the coach who long favored a 3-4 front seems to be moving toward a 4-3.

“I think it looks like they’re trying to get away from the 3-4,” Warren said, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com.

Warren got that feeling from the time he spent in team meetings before he was released, and the Patriots’ personnel at the moment appears to line up well in a 4-3 front, with Albert Haynesworth and Vince Wilfork as the starting tackles and Jermaine Cunningham and Eric Moore as the starting ends.

“That’s my whole outlook on the deal,” Warren said. “You have to play to your personnel too.”

Belichick has always been brilliant about identifying the right talent and putting that talent in the right position to succeed. Right now, shifting toward more four-man fronts and fewer three-man fronts may be the best way for the talent on the Patriots to succeed.

This new NFL trent is probably because Trent Edwards won't be facing the pats* twice a year. Friggin idiot couldn't figure out how to beat a 3-4 to save his life.

He realized that he has been trying to find LBs to rush the passer for the last few years and hasn't found any. He has always wanted versatility in his players and his roster today is better suited to playing the 4-3 than the 3-4. Wolfork is getting a little older. He now has Haynesworth. None of his LBs can get a pass rush. He's just being the same coach he's always been, not trendsetting out of the 3-4 to the 4-3.

A trend away from the 3-4 is good for us. It'll make talent for the scheme more plentiful (for example, suddenly Ty Warren is available) and teams will generally spend less time preparing for it.

Yeah

Edited by Deep Voice

Yeah

Ok, gotta ask, are you supposed to be the guy from the jail scene in trading places? Didn't I tell you that phone in the limousine was busted? What are you, ignorant?

Are you going to expand upon your repertoire of yeah in bold?

You realize the Bills aren't a "strict" 3-4 team either, right? You don't sign a defensive coach like Wanny (mastermind of the 4-3) if you don't plan to be flexible.

If you're not changing things up, you're falling behind. Same goes on offense, which is why I love to see us getting a guy like Brad Smith. Multiple options.

Ok, gotta ask, are you supposed to be the guy from the jail scene in trading places? Didn't I tell you that phone in the limousine was busted? What are you, ignorant?

Are you going to expand upon your repertoire of yeah in bold?

Bigger font?

Exactly.

Yep. We got him running scared now!

:)

Billicheck is the most overrated coach in the world. He is 41-57 without Tom Brady and that includes inheriting a Bill Parcels talent filled roster. Dick Jauron is 60-82. He found Brady by accident, I hope he is taking damn could care of Mo Lewis.

Pats* D will continue to have no pass rush if they think that Moore and Cunningham are 4-3 caliber ends. Their secondary while young and promising hasn't been consistent either. Although if they did this having Mayo playing behind Wilfork and Haynesworth would give them a hell of a run D.

Getty Images

thats because belli doesnt like to blitz as much so a 43 makes sense but 34 are more versitile and is the way we should go.