Bills interested in OT Tyson Clabo

Jammal Brown finally got his sports hernia, scar tissue out of the way in the second half of last year.

He was a two time pro bowler at LT before his injuries. He's certainly worth looking into.

Surprisingly, Sean Locklear led all RT's in Pass Blocking efficiency, per Pro Football Focus.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/13/2010-pass-blocking-efficiency-tackles/

Either is going to be a two year stop gap Of course, we'd have to draft someone in the meantime, and drafting OT's isn't something the Bills like to do.

+ Brown and Locklear in that order, I agree. I think they are waiting for more cuts now to be honest though.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colts drafted 2 OTs this year for a reason. Trueblood lets DEs walk to the QB. Harris is a zone blocking RT who in 4 yrs has played all 16 games once.

agreed on the Colts aspect. Trueblood has been an excellent run blocker, Harris replaced Pears and they haven't run zone blocking schemes since Shanahan left, completely different offense with Josh McDaniels. I keep forgetting - we have two OT/OG hybrids who played RT (Wrotto, Howard) and Pears who was replaced by Harris. So I'm failing to see the lack of upgrade here.

agreed on the Colts aspect. Trueblood has been an excellent run blocker, Harris replaced Pears and they haven't run zone blocking schemes since Shanahan left, completely different offense with Josh McDaniels. I keep forgetting - we have two OT/OG hybrids who played RT (Wrotto, Howard) and Pears who was replaced by Harris. So I'm failing to see the lack of upgrade here.

Harris is a zone blocking RT which is why WAS has been linked to him to return with Shanny.

"A young, decent, zone-blocking right tackle, Ryan Harris struggled in Josh McDaniels' new offense. Harris will probably be heavily pursued this spring, though he's been injured a lot in the past two years. "

Most likely the case.

However, if the Bills really wanted him I'm sure they could've gave him an offer he couldn't refuse and the Falcons couldn't match. I guess Nix and co didn't think he was worth it, but overpaying for Brad Smith certainly was.

I'm confused.

I'm not. When he drafted Spiller, Nix made it obvious how much they liked gadget players, and this assumes that Ralph wasn't involved.

I think that the biggest enticement to players is guaranteed money. According to this thread, Clabo is guaranteed 11.5 million. I am thinking that another 1.5 or 2 mil per season and 20 guaranteed would have been enough to sign him, but I admit that we will never know.

Oh well, it's time to go back to the scrap heaps and garbage dumps to try and find a blocker.

Edited by Bill from NYC

not sure if these guys have signed but I think they'd fit well here, starting with Trueblood:

jeremy trueblood, RT, TB

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=9645

ryan harris, RT, DEN

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=10514

charlie johnson, RT, IND

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=9785

All are relatively young, and are not graded too far off from Clabo according to Scouts inc (clabo was a 79, trueblood 73, harris 77, johnson 74).

everyone who is freaking out just chill and enjoy the fact the bills are making plays for good people. Get over your 'buffalo complex.' Brad Smith just left NYC for Buffalo. Poz left for a state where he will save 600k a year on income tax ALONE (90% of this group would do that). Drayton Florenec spurned NYC for Buffalo. it has nothing to do with the city and nothing to do with our "meddling owner" Ralph who is so meddling the he is at all the bills press conferences and sits in on every decision. Oh wait, thats Peugla (who I love and who is an owner that is involved. RW is watching tv in grosse pointe, MI).

Nix/Gailey/Whaley are our biggest assets in signing FAs. What we can't overcome is being in a hard division and out of hte playoffs for 11 years. WE are the Baltimore Orioles/Toronto Bluejays of the AFC East.

Gotta go with Trueblood, guy is a beast and BC guys are hardnosed players and his name is bada$$.

Seeing the Clabo numbers, I'll admit I'm pissed. I'd really like to know what Buffalo offered.

Anybody think the inability to actually bring this guy to the facilities and meet face to face played a significant role? I do.

Seeing the Clabo numbers, I'll admit I'm pissed. I'd really like to know what Buffalo offered.

Anybody think the inability to actually bring this guy to the facilities and meet face to face played a significant role? I do.

Buffalo didn't offer enough, that's the bottom line.

The Bills need an executive who can woo potential players. Like Pegula and Black are doing with the Sabres. It is absolutely necessary in building from a tarnished rep.

Buddy Nix telling somebody "we want ya to play footbawl for us in Bufflo" isnt going to cut it. And I wouldnt be shocked if the main contact is with Overdorf as he seems to do all the contract negotiations. That sounds pleasant.

They need to go all in. And they need someone in Brandon's position who is a football guy somewhat and not just a marketing/snake.

They needed to reach out to him, tell him the plans for the team and how they want to build a dynasty, with him anchoring the line. Buffalo is a great place, the fans are great, etc. If there is someone on the team who went to college with the guy, get him on the phone. OH what do you know?! Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly just walked in the room. Hang on they want to talk to you.... is there anything you need to assist with your move to Buffalo.... etc.....

That, along with overpaying gets the job done. For now. Eventually, the bad rep would go away and players would start to seek this organization out.

But I really dont think they (Wilson, Brandon, Overdorf, Littman) give a crap enough to go "all-in" with free agents. I think the team is in an endless cycle of **** until Ralph passes away. Even the players drafted (or undrafted) who do well eventually leave once they get good. They cant wait to leave. Anyone remember that Coy Wire interview a few years ago? This organization needs an enema.

I really do like Nix and Gailey... but they are playing against a stacked deck.

The Bills need an executive who can woo potential players. Like Pegula and Black are doing with the Sabres. It is absolutely necessary in building from a tarnished rep.

Buddy Nix telling somebody "we want ya to play footbawl for us in Bufflo" isnt going to cut it. And I wouldnt be shocked if the main contact is with Overdorf as he seems to do all the contract negotiations. That sounds pleasant.

They need to go all in. And they need someone in Brandon's position who is a football guy somewhat and not just a marketing/snake.

They needed to reach out to him, tell him the plans for the team and how they want to build a dynasty, with him anchoring the line. Buffalo is a great place, the fans are great, etc. If there is someone on the team who went to college with the guy, get him on the phone. OH what do you know?! Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly just walked in the room. Hang on they want to talk to you.... is there anything you need to assist with your move to Buffalo.... etc.....

That, along with overpaying gets the job done. For now. Eventually, the bad rep would go away and players would start to seek this organization out.

But I really dont think they (Wilson, Brandon, Overdorf, Littman) give a crap enough to go "all-in" with free agents. I think the team is in an endless cycle of **** until Ralph passes away. Even the players drafted (or undrafted) who do well eventually leave once they get good. They cant wait to leave. Anyone remember that Coy Wire interview a few years ago? This organization needs an enema.

I was just about to post something similar. The Bills REALLY need new ownership. Worse than ever. It goes beyond "Ralph is cheap" (he is) or "Ralph is incompetent" (he is). It's more that the team needs a shot in the arm, a new face and direction, some excitement from ownership. I never understood this as much as I do now, watching the difference Pegula has made in such a short time. And it makes me really hate Wilson for insisting on holding on to the team so long and refusing to sell - sure it's his right, but he's an !@#$ for doing it. The perceived instability that accompanies Ralph's age and refusal to sell or name a successor is KILLING this franchise. It's a HUGE reason that quality coaches and players think twice about coming here. Yet this miser wont step aside, insisting on holding hostage our football team. For what, Ralph? Why? Your legacy? You've blown that...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Making fun of the way someone talks? Keep it classy Buffalo. By the way, wouldn't Buddy's southern accent work in Atlanta??

I didnt mean to knock his southern accent. He is just real 'a matter a fact' kind of guy. I cant picture him as a good frontman to woo a young man to move to a questionable organization. I just put the "W" in there for effect. People all over Buffalo mimic the guy. It doesnt mean we arent being classy. I even said at the end of the post that I like Nix (and Gailey).

Making fun of the way someone talks? Keep it classy Buffalo. By the way, wouldn't Buddy's southern accent work in Atlanta??

Perhaps--but you probably understood his point.

I doubt it's the city of Buffalo that is keeping FAs away. More likely they see the 2 elderly gents running the team, the 4-12 record, the lack of any stars on the team--it all adds up to a perception that nobody is really serious about winning football games in Buffalo. For probably the same money, they either stay put or go anywhere else.

Even towns like Minny, GB and Buff have enough clubs and tittybars for these guys to find trouble in and most take off during the off-season anyway.

<snip>

You DO understand that nobody can actually bring FAs in to "woo" them with the hybrid system in place this year, right? That can't happen until tonight at 6 p.m., and nobody was willing to wait that long when camps are already starting. I'm certain that has hurt not only the Bills, but other franchises as well, in trying to entice certain players from re-signing with their current teams. One may accurately argue it's even more important to the Bills because moving to the city of Buffalo likely doesn't go over well with wives and family.

I just think your entire post is an overreaction. I think if the Bills bring guys into their facilities and give them the proper welcome, there is nothing keeping them from wanting to play here.

How much would've been too much? What was your cap on him?

Keep in mind he was a probowl alternate, and even that was with a great cast around him (lines Often go in packs)

I wanted him badly too, but not at any cost. I'd give more than 5, but whats the cutoff.

I don't think $7 mil/year would have been unreasonable. Maybe a little steep, but to solidify our biggest weakness, yeah, I think it'd be worth it.