Bills Cap Casualties aka Cut Kelsay

The reported cap number of 120ish million is true who should the Bills cut to get further under the cap.

Reportedly the Bills have 35.9 million in cap space BUT that's not enough for the Bills to go out and spend on a big free agents. 35.9 sounds like a lot BUT resigning Poz and Florence will take up 8ish million, signing rookies takes up another 10ish million, and the Bills will likely want to lock up both Stevie and Kyle Williams to new deals which should take up another 8ish million in cap space. Also the Bills will have to sign a backup QB and fill out the roster which should take them to the floor.

Now when taking that into consideration its easy for the Bills to meet the floor. BUT if they cut Kelsay, Spencer Johnson, and redo the deals of Maybin and Evans they could free up a lot more room to play with to sign better players.

Why shouldn't the Bills look to cut players off of their current roster to add more cap room?

In a shortened offseason they are not going to cut veterans if they can help it....

Kelsay is gonna stay like it or not.....they run a hybrid 3-4 which means at times they will go to a 4-3 allignment.....he still has some value as a 4-3 DE

I could see the bills targeting one maybe two veteran guys.....the rest of that money they will use locking up their own guys.

The reported cap number of 120ish million is true who should the Bills cut to get further under the cap.

Reportedly the Bills have 35.9 million in cap space BUT that's not enough for the Bills to go out and spend on a big free agents. 35.9 sounds like a lot BUT resigning Poz and Florence will take up 8ish million, signing rookies takes up another 10ish million, and the Bills will likely want to lock up both Stevie and Kyle Williams to new deals which should take up another 8ish million in cap space. Also the Bills will have to sign a backup QB and fill out the roster which should take them to the floor.

Now when taking that into consideration its easy for the Bills to meet the floor. BUT if they cut Kelsay, Spencer Johnson, and redo the deals of Maybin and Evans they could free up a lot more room to play with to sign better players.

Why shouldn't the Bills look to cut players off of their current roster to add more cap room?

If they resign Florence, and looking at the draft his year, I think McGee will be a cut and will free a couple million up.

I doubt we have any cost cutting moves. Maybin doenst count he just sucks

I don't necessarily think they will cut McGee for cost cutting only, there will be enough CBs who are better than him if they bring Florence back. Getting rid of Maybin would be "cost cutting" just "common sense cutting."

The Bills can spend as much as they wish on free agents, their own or UFA. There is no need to cut anyone for financial reasons. Not saying they will go on a signing spree, because they won't. But surely they can sign anyone they want, including Poz, Florence and a top tier free agent or two. It's all about guaranteed money. You could give Poz 2 million this year if he is guaranteed 10 million next year.

How much are they gonna end up saving from cutting or redoing deals on those players? Probably not a whole lot. I'm all for signing FA. This Team needs leaders and those players who are 4-5 years in the league and are on existing playoff teams who are FA, should be sought after by the Bills. There is no way this team can improve unless they do hit on these type of players. We have sucked at signing FAs. I can't think of one impact FA player since the Donahoe Era. That's sad right there. But those players you mentioned could be restructured I guess, but is it worth it, unless we have an actual vision...

Kelsay is the Bills' version of Tim Connolly. Addition by subtraction. He can't leave soon enough, but the Bills management seems to love him for some reason.

I don't think the Bills will stand still. Doing so would damper the momentum they are trying to generate with the new uniforms, new turf, draft with great grades, etc. I think the last thing the FO wants is to kill that momentum.

While I don't think they will have a spending spree of "name" guys, I'd expect them to be competitive in landing a solution to the bigger problem areas.

A shorter free agency period is a benefit to the Bills. Players are going to have less time to go around the league, make visits and play offers off one another. They will have to make decisions quickly.

This team is in no position to cut any cornerbacks. We just do not have the depth at this position to do so. Losing Drayton Florence to free agency would be devastating, and IMO would require the Bills to bring in a veteran FA at CB. With regard to cutting Spencer Johnson....this is a ridiculous idea IMO. One might argue, especially down the stretch, that he was our best defensive end last season.

I would have no problem with cutting Aaron Maybin, as I agree with a previous poster that he has likely fallen behind guys like Coleman, Batten, Moats, and Torbor on the depth chart.

Kelsay is the Bills' version of Tim Connolly. Addition by subtraction. He can't leave soon enough, but the Bills management seems to love him for some reason.

Because he is not as bad as Bills fans make him out to be...is he worth his contract...No he is not. However he is also isn't even close to the worst player on this defense like fans seem to want to make him out to be. On a good defense he would be a solid rotational player. Unfortunately we are not a good defense, at least not yet, and that means he unfortunately has to start on this team when he is better suited to be a rotational player.

I don't see him being cut this year, however I think if our young guys start to develop he could be a casualty next off season as the young guys will cost less and have way more upside. Plus, he is supposedly a good leader and locker room guy, and with the young defensive prospects on this team, that also has value...at least for this season.

This team is in no position to cut any cornerbacks. We just do not have the depth at this position to do so. Losing Drayton Florence to free agency would be devastating, and IMO would require the Bills to bring in a veteran FA at CB. With regard to cutting Spencer Johnson....this is a ridiculous idea IMO. One might argue, especially down the stretch, that he was our best defensive end last season.

I would have no problem with cutting Aaron Maybin, as I agree with a previous poster that he has likely fallen behind guys like Coleman, Batten, Moats, and Torbor on the depth chart.

Fully Agree. In 2010, the Bills had 9 CB at St. John Fisher. We have only 5 currently, 2 of whom are unsigned:

Corner

McGee

McKelvin

Rogers--not signed yet

Williams--not signed yet

We'll be active in the CB market, both FA and UDFA, and a possible trade.

Why cut Kelsay when we don't have a better 4-3 DE to replace him with? Trade him next year for a pick when his salary versus 4-3 DE skills are likely to be more palatable in the 2012 marketplace while we play more 3-4. Spencer Johnson will continue to perform, especially if he happens to be on the field at the same time as Williams and Darius.

still playing defensive end, kelsay had his best season in '10 and overall was one of the best bills defenders

in '11 after switching to olb he struggled with some key duties of that position, specifically pass defense and shedding second level blockers, so they essentially moved him back to de as a rush and containment lb, which he is reasonably effective at. he was one of the scant few bills defenders to consistently generate pressure, tho he admittedly isnt much of a finisher when it comes to sacks. again, from an overall perspective he is a quality not great player

at $3.75M he is reasonably priced or perhaps a mild bargain for the total package he brings to the bills on and off the field, as summed up nicely by gm buddy nix:

i concur

As much as many of us would like to see Kelsey get shown the door I don't think one Bills drive is gonna do that. I think he has naked pictures of someone there or something. He is ok in 4-3 but in the 3-4 he is awful !!!!

Its time for McGee to either move to safety or be released if we re-sign Florence, which I think we should. McGee has injury problems and he has lost a step, time to give some of our new rookies a chance to earn their stripes.

The issue is not the cap - the issue is the cap FLOOR - how much will the Bills be required to spend. The Bills will not spend up to the cap limit - they will try and stay as close to the floor as they can. The don't need to cut guys to make more cap room. Anyone the Bills cut will be because they don't fit or the coaches feel can't contribute. The cap floor will probably be about $15 million below the cap limit and if we have nearly $35 million under the cap the Bills are probably looking to add another $20 million to the payroll because they are required to - that means resigning thier own and maybe bringing in some depth players - there won't be bug names, there won't be big dollars and they won't spend to the cap limit.

kelsayKELSAYplaysKELSAY STAYS and is in on pass situations

It really is unbelievable how much hate there is for Kelsay. He is a solid rotational DE who was forced into an OLB last year. Are you just upset that he makes more money then he deserves?

Believe me, he is not going anywhere. Check out Chris Brown's piece today where Giff Smith, talking about the upcoming season, says “You look at the nickel situation with presumably those two rushing on the inside and then you’ve got (Shawne) Merriman and (Chris) Kelsay outside,” said Smith. “I think it’s going to enable us to get some pressure with just a four man rush where we don’t have to bring a fifth or sixth guy.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Headaches-for-opposing-offenses/d0307409-b7b9-4702-b8eb-a455b6440570

Edited by shoretalk

The issue is not the cap - the issue is the cap FLOOR - how much will the Bills be required to spend. The Bills will not spend up to the cap limit - they will try and stay as close to the floor as they can. The don't need to cut guys to make more cap room. Anyone the Bills cut will be because they don't fit or the coaches feel can't contribute. The cap floor will probably be about $15 million below the cap limit and if we have nearly $35 million under the cap the Bills are probably looking to add another $20 million to the payroll because they are required to - that means resigning thier own and maybe bringing in some depth players - there won't be bug names, there won't be big dollars and they won't spend to the cap limit.

How I read the deal, that won't start until two years from now, when the floor will be 89% of the cap. This year and next, the league COLLECTIVELY must spend 99% of the cap. So some teams can spend a little less but pretty much everyone has to spend cash to the cap. Again, that is cash to the cap, so theoretically they could front load some big contracts so they don't spend up to 100% of the "salary cap", but that could bite them in future years having to spend a ton of cash. I don't see any rule in the new deal, at least in the major points, about a salary cap floor. The league is moving more toward forcing teams to pay close to the cap in cash each year.

ECONOMICS:

» Salary cap plus benefits of $142.4 million per club in 2011 ($120.375 million for salary and bonus) and at least that amount in 2012 and 2013.

» Beginning in 2012, salary cap to be set based on a combined share of "all revenue," a new model differentiated by revenue source with no expense reductions. Players will receive 55 percent of national media revenue, 45 percent of NFL Ventures revenue, and 40 percent of local club revenue.

» Beginning in 2012, annual "true up" to reflect revenue increases or decreases versus projections.

» Clubs receive credit for actual stadium investment and up to 1.5 percent of revenue each year.

» Player share must average at least 47 percent for the 10-year term of the agreement.

» League-wide commitment to cash spending of 99 percent of the cap in 2011 and 2012.

» For the 2013-2016 seasons, and again for the 2017-2020 seasons, the clubs collectively will commit to cash spending of at least 95 percent of the cap.

» Each club committed to cash spending of 89 percent of the cap from 2013-2016 and 2017-2020.

» Increases to minimum salaries of 10 percent in Year 1 with continuing increases each year of the agreement.

As much as many of us would like to see Kelsey get shown the door I don't think one Bills drive is gonna do that. I think he has naked pictures of someone there or something. He is ok in 4-3 but in the 3-4 he is awful !!!!

Its time for McGee to either move to safety or be released if we re-sign Florence, which I think we should. McGee has injury problems and he has lost a step, time to give some of our new rookies a chance to earn their stripes.

Release Terrence McGee!! Are you serious? Look, we all can agree that Terrence isn't the same cornerback that he was 2-3 years ago, and he certainly has been prone to injuries as of late. That being said, however, I think it could be debated that he was the second best cornerback on this team last season (behind Florence), and would be a starter on many teams in this league. We need depth in the secondary...all you need to do is look at last season's rash of injuries to realize this. Even if we re-sign Florence, which I think is unlikely, we cannot afford to release or even trade McGee. In fact, I suspect that we will go after a Veteran CB in free agency regardless of the scenario...some UDFA's as well.

Kelsay is not getting cut when they just resigned him to a big deal. Spencer is a good player but could get cut with no repercussions to the Defense and Maybin has wasted our time and money and will be a miracle if he improves and doesn't get cut.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

The BILLS are $35.9 million under the cap and we have to CUT KELSAY???? Why the HATE?

With the assumption being that Dareus is as good as advertised. Having Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams together it will now make life for Kelsay and others easier.