My Meaningless Opinion

As always, I’ll start off by thanking LancasterSteve and his lovely wife Lisa for their hospitality on draft weekend. Lis (“my Lisa”) and I appreciate it more than words can say. I only wish we could spend time w/ you two more often. It was also nice to see MarkVI. Sorry you couldn’t make the draft party (it’s getting’ cheaper by the year; move it back to the Jim Kelly Club-PLEASE!), but thankfully, we got to hang out for Saturday’s picks. Mark was the very first person I remember to leap onto the Marcell Dareus bandwagon (before the 2010-2011 college season even ended), and I’m sure glad the Bills got ‘em. Of course, the difference this time was Psycho Ward 86 makin’ the trip w/ me. So, she has to come up from now on.

On to the Bills' draft picks.

ROUND 1: Marcell Dareus, DT Alabama

The Bills finally got a guy I have wanted to see ‘em draft w/ their first round pick! WOW!!! And, what a addition he is! He has the size (6-3, 319) and the ability to really become a difference maker on the Bills’ defensive line. Look @ the dramatic improvement Detroit’s D line had last year by adding their first round pick, Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh. Now, I’m not saying Dareus will be an immediate first team All Pro (way more impressive than making the Pro Bowl nowadays), but he should be someone that teams will have to focus on and that should allow for some one-on-one opportunities for guys like Kyle Williams to do some things. Whether he’s inside @ DT on passing downs or lined up as a 3-4 DE, I believe Dareus will be a factor in the pass rush. In other words, the Bills should actually have a pass rush now.

ROUND 2: Aaron Williams, DB Texas

Not the move I would’ve made @ that spot, but here is a guy who should give the Bills a defender to use on inside routes, a problem area for the Bills of late. Solid cover skills, plus the ability to match up better w/ multiple receiver sets is a good thing. Yeah, yeah, another defensive back, but I ‘spose the Bills realize that they have to be able to stop the pass in order to compete. Teams do throw the ball now, so if you’re gonna match up, you had best be able to field some decent secondary players, and a bunch of ‘em. Right now, w/ looming free agency, injuries, and less than stellar play, the Bills really don’t have a comfortable situation in their secondary. This guy can help in that area, and if he actually does, then this is a sound move. Many people will be watching this guy’s development, I’m sure.

ROUND 3: Kelvin Sheppard, LB Louisiana State

As I said ‘bout the Carrington pick last year (another third rounder), this is one of my favorite picks the Bills made in this draft. In my post game write ups, I have said over and over how the Bills have had issues w/ linebackers who cannot stack and shed, who cannot meet the ball carrier @ the point of attack or, perish the thought, in the backfield and make impact plays. I think a large part of this is due to the fact that the Bills linebacking unit is far too small, as they went w/ smaller, quicker LBs for the prior defensive scheme. Well, that ain’t gonna cut it for the 3-4. There has to be guys w/ good size (I’d say 6-1, 248 qualifies as “good”) who can deliver a big hit (if you haven’t checked out his Youtube video, do so!) and chase plays down.

ROUND 4a: Da’Norris Searcy, S North Carolina

Searcy appears to be the kinda tough, hard hittin’, in the box safety the Bills could’ve used a few times last year….when teams got to the second level or beyond and met little challenge from the DBs. If this guy gets his way, those days are over, as (probably) are the days of Twitter king Donte Whitner. Anyhoo, Searcy isn’t gonna remind anyone of Ed Reed in terms of deep coverage, but he is a thumper w/ the size (5-10, 223), speed (4.55), and range to make things really tough on opposing runners. God, I hope so. In addition, he’s a smart, instinctive player who also shows some ability as a return guy for special teams.

ROUND 4b: Chris Hairston, OT Clemson

Here, the Bills appeared to get @ worst a depth guy for the right tackle position and @ best, a potential starter. He has great size (6-6, 334) and long arms, always a plus for O tackles. He plays hard, but also has a tendency to play too high and let guys get under his pads, which makes his size advantage useless. Proper coaching should be able to correct this and, if so, the Bills may have gotten a solution to one of their biggest problems.

ROUND 5: Johnny White, RB North Carolina

There’s a lot to like ‘bout White: he has a good burst, shows good vision, is a willing blocker (a very key attribute in RBs makin’ the jump to the NFL), and is also a good receiver out of the backfield. He doesn’t have a very impressive resume, as UNC didn’t showcase his abilities, but appears to have the tools to be an effective third down back. He also has turned the ball over some, and that has to be a concern. But, this guy has a ton of potential and may not have shown his best stuff yet.

ROUND 6: Chris White, LB Mississippi State

Here’s another “try hard” guy who is physical, tough, and smart. He has good speed (4.68), but isn’t an awesome athlete ala Von Miller. What he can do is get to the play and give tremendous effort. Get this, he has shown the ability to actually shed blockers! Imagine that. Since the Bills will probably use a hybrid 3-4/4-3 scheme, he will probably get work as a strongside guy (4-3) and/or a rush ‘backer (3-4). Either way, he should provide solid depth along w/ last year’s find Arthur Moats.

ROUND 7a: Justin Rogers, DB RICHmond

Rogers has good cover skills and also has the ability to help out on special teams as a return guy. He’s a bit small (6-0, 180), but plays bigger than the measurables. He’s pretty good when the ball is in the air, in terms of anticipation and jumpin’ the routes. This guy could be a poor man’s Bob Sanders in one respect: if he were a bigger guy, he probably would’ve been taken higher in the draft. He should provide nice depth in the secondary.

ROUND 7b: Michael Jasper, G/DT Bethel (TN)

This guy is HUGE (6-6, 380), and shows good movement and athleticism for a guy his size. If you haven’t done so already (and I’m sure many of you have by now), watch his Youtube workout. The medicine ball part, in particular, impressed me! I’ve seen no tape of ‘em playing, so I’m sure this guy is a pure project. But, man, if they can get ‘em to be effective as a DT……..LOOK OUT!!!

So, how did they do? Well, as many may know from reading my draft write-ups in the past, I do not give letter grades and I really don’t like to either praise or condemn a draft when nobody has played a down yet. Suffice to say that the Bills did a few things I like:

1. They addressed needs by going after help for the beleaguered defensive front (Dareus, Sheppard, Chris White, Jasper) and secondary (Williams, Searcy, Rogers)

2. They took players who not only had talent, but who also had production over a long haul

3. They targeted guys who were tough and smart (guys like Sheppard, Searcy, Chris White, Rogers)

I can live w/ those kinda players fillin’ out the Bills roster, and if that’s the plan Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix are following (and after a couple draft, it appears to be their plan), I’m all for it. Now, I know there’s plenty of folks who still suffer from Mary Wells disease (as in, the Bills didn’t take, “My Guy”), but folks, these guys are building a team according to…..get this…..A PLAN!! I'm sure Nix and Gailey aren't finished yet, meaning they have more holes to fill, but they are @ least using a blueprint instead of blindly throwin' darts and hopin' they stick. They are gettin’ guys to fit their plan and continuing to build towards a future. Yeah, the Bills will finally have one. And, not a future filled w/ Plan B, Plan B part II, Plan B-the final chapter, etc. Ya gotta love that, right?

Actually....I think Marcel does have a chance of making that All Pro selection......

It will really depend on how big of a jump in improvement the defense as a whole makes.......I view Marcel as Suh type player as far as talent goes.....

Warren Sapp raves about the guy.....his opinion is good enough for me

I think most of us expect Dareus, Williams and Sheppard to get their share of minutes. My question is which one of the draft picks will be the diamond in the rough as K.Williams and Moats have been in the past?

Edited by VADC Bills

Good stuff, RR. It's been too long!

And gotta agree with you...they seem to have a plan, and it's a plan I can go along with.

It looks like a good draft. The only picks I'd argue with are Searcy and (especially) Johnny White. Time will tell if the Bills faith in Fitzpatrick and their lack of confidence in Gabbert will be justified. If not, this draft will look like a missed opportunity. What say you to no QB?

It looks like a good draft. The only picks I'd argue with are Searcy and (especially) Johnny White. Time will tell if the Bills faith in Fitzpatrick and their lack of confidence in Gabbert will be justified. If not, this draft will look like a missed opportunity. What say you to no QB?

Funny you should mention that.

To paraphrase what Buddy Nix and/or Chan Gailey said 'bout QBs before the draft:

"We'll be looking to find a QB to groom in the draft".

[Remember: this is me paraphrasing 'em, so no, I do not have a "link" to this quote!]

Well, when a comment like this is made, I read 'tween the lines. Based on the comment, the actual layout of the draft, and the Bills' actions (or inactions), here's my guess:

"We'll be looking to find a QB to groom in the draft" really meant, "We'll be looking to draft Cam Newton".

Well, Newton was the top pick, so he was ruled out. Aside from Christian Ponder and Jake Locker, the Bills passed on every other high profile QB in this draft after picking Dareus and by picking Dareus, passed on Ponder and Locker as well (though they may have thought they'd have a shot @ one or both in Round 2). If Newton wasn't the only QB on their radar (rumor has it that Nix and Gailey were torn on Newton, w/ one in favor of and the other opposed), then why did they not go after ANY of the other top QBs in this draft? My guess (again, just a guess)? They thought, as many (like me) did, that these QBs were, as a class, "okay". None were worth losin' out on a badly needed component, such as a true ILB for the 3-4, guys (like Dareus and your favorite pick, Searcy) who can help in run support, or guys who can help defend the pass.

I think most of us expect Dareus, Williams and Sheppard to get their share of minutes. My question is which one of the draft picks will be the diamond in the rough as K.Williams and Moats have been in the past?

Hopefully it's Jasper. If he's able to be coached up and play to an NFL level, he changes the whole defense.

"We'll be looking to find a QB to groom in the draft" really meant, "We'll be looking to draft Cam Newton".

My guess, based on how the draft went, is they would have taken Ponder if he dropped to the 2nd. Just based on Chan having him at the Senior Bowl.

Well, when a comment like this is made, I read 'tween the lines. Based on the comment, the actual layout of the draft, and the Bills' actions (or inactions), here's my guess:

Well, Newton was the top pick, so he was ruled out. Aside from Christian Ponder and Jake Locker, the Bills passed on every other high profile QB in this draft after picking Dareus and by picking Dareus, passed on Ponder and Locker as well (though they may have thought they'd have a shot @ one or both in Round 2). If Newton wasn't the only QB on their radar (rumor has it that Nix and Gailey were torn on Newton, w/ one in favor of and the other opposed), then why did they not go after ANY of the other top QBs in this draft? My guess (again, just a guess)? They thought, as many (like me) did, that these QBs were, as a class, "okay". None were worth losin' out on a badly needed component, such as a true ILB for the 3-4, guys (like Dareus and your favorite pick, Searcy) who can help in run support, or guys who can help defend the pass.

Gabbert was available at #3 and at the press conference after the 1st round Nix appeared to indicate that they would've drafted Gabbert if Dareus was off the board. So, they liked Gabbert enough to take him ahead of Von Miller a #3. Maybe Dareus was too good to pass up. As I said, hopefully they don't regret it. Obviously, finding a QB is THE most important step to winning a championship.

We all have meaningless opinions, I just happen to like yours more than most. Good overview of the draft from the Bills standpoint. Can't argue anything you wrote there. Also, good call on not grading the draft. That should happen around week 4 of the regular season. Excited to see the rooks and Easley play this year!

As always, I’ll start off by thanking LancasterSteve and his lovely wife Lisa for their hospitality on draft weekend. Lis (“my Lisa”) and I appreciate it more than words can say. I only wish we could spend time w/ you two more often. It was also nice to see MarkVI. Sorry you couldn’t make the draft party (it’s getting’ cheaper by the year; move it back to the Jim Kelly Club-PLEASE!), but thankfully, we got to hang out for Saturday’s picks. Mark was the very first person I remember to leap onto the Marcell Dareus bandwagon (before the 2010-2011 college season even ended), and I’m sure glad the Bills got ‘em. Of course, the difference this time was Psycho Ward 86 makin’ the trip w/ me. So, she has to come up from now on.

On to the Bills' draft picks.

ROUND 1: Marcell Dareus, DT Alabama

The Bills finally got a guy I have wanted to see ‘em draft w/ their first round pick! WOW!!! And, what a addition he is! He has the size (6-3, 319) and the ability to really become a difference maker on the Bills’ defensive line. Look @ the dramatic improvement Detroit’s D line had last year by adding their first round pick, Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh. Now, I’m not saying Dareus will be an immediate first team All Pro (way more impressive than making the Pro Bowl nowadays), but he should be someone that teams will have to focus on and that should allow for some one-on-one opportunities for guys like Kyle Williams to do some things. Whether he’s inside @ DT on passing downs or lined up as a 3-4 DE, I believe Dareus will be a factor in the pass rush. In other words, the Bills should actually have a pass rush now.

ROUND 2: Aaron Williams, DB Texas

Not the move I would’ve made @ that spot, but here is a guy who should give the Bills a defender to use on inside routes, a problem area for the Bills of late. Solid cover skills, plus the ability to match up better w/ multiple receiver sets is a good thing. Yeah, yeah, another defensive back, but I ‘spose the Bills realize that they have to be able to stop the pass in order to compete. Teams do throw the ball now, so if you’re gonna match up, you had best be able to field some decent secondary players, and a bunch of ‘em. Right now, w/ looming free agency, injuries, and less than stellar play, the Bills really don’t have a comfortable situation in their secondary. This guy can help in that area, and if he actually does, then this is a sound move. Many people will be watching this guy’s development, I’m sure.

ROUND 3: Kelvin Sheppard, LB Louisiana State

As I said ‘bout the Carrington pick last year (another third rounder), this is one of my favorite picks the Bills made in this draft. In my post game write ups, I have said over and over how the Bills have had issues w/ linebackers who cannot stack and shed, who cannot meet the ball carrier @ the point of attack or, perish the thought, in the backfield and make impact plays. I think a large part of this is due to the fact that the Bills linebacking unit is far too small, as they went w/ smaller, quicker LBs for the prior defensive scheme. Well, that ain’t gonna cut it for the 3-4. There has to be guys w/ good size (I’d say 6-1, 248 qualifies as “good”) who can deliver a big hit (if you haven’t checked out his Youtube video, do so!) and chase plays down.

ROUND 4a: Da’Norris Searcy, S North Carolina

Searcy appears to be the kinda tough, hard hittin’, in the box safety the Bills could’ve used a few times last year….when teams got to the second level or beyond and met little challenge from the DBs. If this guy gets his way, those days are over, as (probably) are the days of Twitter king Donte Whitner. Anyhoo, Searcy isn’t gonna remind anyone of Ed Reed in terms of deep coverage, but he is a thumper w/ the size (5-10, 223), speed (4.55), and range to make things really tough on opposing runners. God, I hope so. In addition, he’s a smart, instinctive player who also shows some ability as a return guy for special teams.

ROUND 4b: Chris Hairston, OT Clemson

Here, the Bills appeared to get @ worst a depth guy for the right tackle position and @ best, a potential starter. He has great size (6-6, 334) and long arms, always a plus for O tackles. He plays hard, but also has a tendency to play too high and let guys get under his pads, which makes his size advantage useless. Proper coaching should be able to correct this and, if so, the Bills may have gotten a solution to one of their biggest problems.

ROUND 5: Johnny White, RB North Carolina

There’s a lot to like ‘bout White: he has a good burst, shows good vision, is a willing blocker (a very key attribute in RBs makin’ the jump to the NFL), and is also a good receiver out of the backfield. He doesn’t have a very impressive resume, as UNC didn’t showcase his abilities, but appears to have the tools to be an effective third down back. He also has turned the ball over some, and that has to be a concern. But, this guy has a ton of potential and may not have shown his best stuff yet.

ROUND 6: Chris White, LB Mississippi State

Here’s another “try hard” guy who is physical, tough, and smart. He has good speed (4.68), but isn’t an awesome athlete ala Von Miller. What he can do is get to the play and give tremendous effort. Get this, he has shown the ability to actually shed blockers! Imagine that. Since the Bills will probably use a hybrid 3-4/4-3 scheme, he will probably get work as a strongside guy (4-3) and/or a rush ‘backer (3-4). Either way, he should provide solid depth along w/ last year’s find Arthur Moats.

ROUND 7a: Justin Rogers, DB RICHmond

Rogers has good cover skills and also has the ability to help out on special teams as a return guy. He’s a bit small (6-0, 180), but plays bigger than the measurables. He’s pretty good when the ball is in the air, in terms of anticipation and jumpin’ the routes. This guy could be a poor man’s Bob Sanders in one respect: if he were a bigger guy, he probably would’ve been taken higher in the draft. He should provide nice depth in the secondary.

ROUND 7b: Michael Jasper, G/DT Bethel (TN)

This guy is HUGE (6-6, 380), and shows good movement and athleticism for a guy his size. If you haven’t done so already (and I’m sure many of you have by now), watch his Youtube workout. The medicine ball part, in particular, impressed me! I’ve seen no tape of ‘em playing, so I’m sure this guy is a pure project. But, man, if they can get ‘em to be effective as a DT……..LOOK OUT!!!

So, how did they do? Well, as many may know from reading my draft write-ups in the past, I do not give letter grades and I really don’t like to either praise or condemn a draft when nobody has played a down yet. Suffice to say that the Bills did a few things I like:

1. They addressed needs by going after help for the beleaguered defensive front (Dareus, Sheppard, Chris White, Jasper) and secondary (Williams, Searcy, Rogers)

2. They took players who not only had talent, but who also had production over a long haul

3. They targeted guys who were tough and smart (guys like Sheppard, Searcy, Chris White, Rogers)

I can live w/ those kinda players fillin’ out the Bills roster, and if that’s the plan Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix are following (and after a couple draft, it appears to be their plan), I’m all for it. Now, I know there’s plenty of folks who still suffer from Mary Wells disease (as in, the Bills didn’t take, “My Guy”), but folks, these guys are building a team according to…..get this…..A PLAN!! I'm sure Nix and Gailey aren't finished yet, meaning they have more holes to fill, but they are @ least using a blueprint instead of blindly throwin' darts and hopin' they stick. They are gettin’ guys to fit their plan and continuing to build towards a future. Yeah, the Bills will finally have one. And, not a future filled w/ Plan B, Plan B part II, Plan B-the final chapter, etc. Ya gotta love that, right?

That's a great read, RR. Good stuff and well put. Thanks for posting it. RWR

Gabbert was available at #3 and at the press conference after the 1st round Nix appeared to indicate that they would've drafted Gabbert if Dareus was off the board. So, they liked Gabbert enough to take him ahead of Von Miller a #3. Maybe Dareus was too good to pass up. As I said, hopefully they don't regret it. Obviously, finding a QB is THE most important step to winning a championship.

Gabbert was the most overhyped player in the draft.

Hard to believe a player with such crappy production (both stats and wins) could even be considered a top 10 pick

Gabbert is just the type of player Modrak would have reached for - which is probably why he is no longer employed.

Johnny White makes me think of Derrick Holmes. How nice was it to have a guy who was big enough to take some hits, able to move the ball and dependable enough to handle different situations.

I still wonder how he will fit in with CJ Spiller there and makes me wonder more how he will be used because he is a better compliment to FJ then CJ.

...wtf are we going to do with CJ?

R. Rich, I always enjoy your posts here and think they are anything but meaningless. I am sure most TSWers consider you a valuable member. :thumbsup:

No they don't...just ask his wife. j/k

Rich, hope you are well, my friend...how about a phone call soon? It's been too long. BTW, you know I'm a diehard 'Bama fan and was advocating Dareus before most (despite a brief flirtation with Fairley).

Spot on analysis, as usual.

Johnny White makes me think of Derrick Holmes. How nice was it to have a guy who was big enough to take some hits, able to move the ball and dependable enough to handle different situations.

I still wonder how he will fit in with CJ Spiller there and makes me wonder more how he will be used because he is a better compliment to FJ then CJ.

...wtf are we going to do with CJ?

Why is white a better compliment to Fred than CJ? Blasphemy!! CJ is the perfect compliment to Fred. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. Srsly.

White will be our 3rd RB. If someone goes down, he'll get more opportunities. IMO, there's no way he's a better compliment. CJ is a great compliment to a RB like Fred.

I love the Chris White pick. I think the kid is going to be looked back on as a steal. i don't think he's an OLB though. I think he is the heir apparent to Andra Davis at that thumper ILB position in the 3-4. I see Sheppard as the guy who'll eventually replace Poz as more of the 3 down do it all ILB.

I love the Chris White pick. I think the kid is going to be looked back on as a steal. i don't think he's an OLB though. I think he is the heir apparent to Andra Davis at that thumper ILB position in the 3-4. I see Sheppard as the guy who'll eventually replace Poz as more of the 3 down do it all ILB.

So do I. We got some great talent in the early rounds. Chris White is a stud. He may be a slow stud in some eyes but he's instinctive which is key and he hits hard. This guy is not a puzzy. He'll be where he needs to be and he'll clean your clock. I'm tired of going after quick guys with athleticism and nothing else going for them. I'm severely down (or up with old school)(in a good way) with having guys who are instinctive, know where they need to be and clobber peeps into submission. This man is a bruiser. If he can learn to cover decently than that is a plus. I'm high on Chris White at this pick. I want him to push and if need be supplant Poz if White can indeed handle it. At the very least solid depth.

Edited by Pilsner