Your Top 5 Worst Draft Picks Of The Modrak Era

I will add Nate Clements to that list.

You're too nice.

Modrak joined the Bills about a month AFTER the 2001 draft. He gets no credit for the 2001 draft, which was probably the Bills' best one in the last decade (Clements, Schoebel, Henry, Ron Edwards, Jonas Jennings).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Williams? Don't you think you should at least see him play a game?

Point taken. I however do suspect that come next April, we will all wish that we had a another first round pick, let alone what more we could have got from a team itching to trade up.

How about you? Are you feeling that we were right to stand pat at that spot and draft a corner?

Edited by Bill from NYC

No brainer:

1) Maybin

2) Williams

3) McCargo

4) Losman

5) Hardy

My Top 5 Failures

1. Maybin

2. Williams

3. McCargo

4. Hardy

5. Losman

Losman was a tad more servicable than Hardy

Mike Williams..or..Bryant McKinney

Donte Whitner..or..Haloti Ngata/Jay Cutler

JP Losman..or..Steven Jackson/Karlos Dansby

John McCargo..or..Nick Mangold/DeAngelo Williams

James Hardy..or..Desean Jackson/Eddie Royal

Marshawn Lynch..or..Darrelle Revis

Aaron Maybin..or..Orakpo/Cushing/Matthews

Imagine the possibilities...

May this era R.I.P. This is just sick. Talk about a decade of futility.

No brainer:

1) Maybin

2) Williams

3) McCargo

4) Losman

5) Hardy

Hard to disagree with that list but I'll say many had Mike Williams rated the best tackle in the draft that year.

Hard to disagree with that list but I'll say many had Mike Williams rated the best tackle in the draft that year.

we chose lil donte over Freeney, Ed Reed, Haynesworth, John Henderson, Portis, Javon Walker, Charles Grant..... the fact that we whiffed with the 4th overall selection in a talent laden draft cements this as the worst pick of the Modrak era. First draft for Modrak, and we have sucked ever since

Not to defend Modrak, but I thought it was pretty freaking clear -- as clear as day, in fact -- that he wasn't behind the Maybin pick. That was Jauron all the way.

Um, this is still true despite the continued condemnation of Modrak for "drafting" Maybin ...

Not to defend Modrak, but I thought it was pretty freaking clear -- as clear as day, in fact -- that he wasn't behind the Maybin pick. That was Jauron all the way.

Shhhhhh -- we hang on every word ngu says in the draft thread but ignore him saying that was jaurons pick.

Mike Williams (You miss on the fourth overall pick enough said)

Aaron Maybin (You miss on the 11th overall pick enough said)

Jp Losman (Late 1st rounder while he set the franchise back years)

John McCargo (Late 1st round pick that was considered a huge reach and Nick Mangold should have been the pick)

James Hardy (early second rounder that was out in two years)

Man you are given the 3rd, 11th, 22nd, 26th, and 41st picks in the draft you deserve to be fired (Not to mention if McKelvin and Spiller don't work out you could add another 11th and 9th pick as failures, throw in a wrong but not bust call on Whitner you could add the 8th pick into that equation).

Bad drafting for a decade means no playoffs for a decade.

For anyone that lists Williams just stop yourself. He was predicted to be a top 5 draft. If Dareus flames out in three years will anyone blame Nix? He was the consensus best DL player. Williams was 1 of 2 supposed elite tackles. Turns out neither of them have been elite. You can't blame the Bills for Williams failure. EVERYONE loved the pick.

McCargo and Losman are the most egregious not only because they were god awful but somehow he convinced people to trade up to get these disasters. There is a reason Losman went to Tulane. Just like there is a reason Kopernicus went to Nevada. McCargo was the third best player on his college DL.

Edited by Dadonkadonk

Point taken. I however do suspect that come next April, we will all wish that we had a another first round pick, let alone what more we could have got from a team itching to trade up.

How about you? Are you feeling that we were right to stand pat at that spot and draft a corner?

I never heard or read anything where Nix said he has offered a #1 next year. If he was and didn't take it then he just might have blown our chances of getting a "franchise QB" next year. Having two first rounders would help immensely.

Am I ok to stand pat at that spot and draft a corner? I don't know what the offers were. I heard that the Bills had first round grades on Williams and maybe they did not have them on any other remaining players? I do not have a problem drafting a corner, a critical position in todays NFL, but I would prefer to trade down and stockpile some picks.

As for Nix and his comments about so many offers to trade. How come the past GMs claimed they could not get offers to trade down and all of a sudden Nix is getting 15 calls per round? I simply don't believe any of the pre or post draft rhetoric.

I'm not going to load up on him too much for the Whitner pick. If he said that Donte was the best SS left on the board, I'm not sure that he was totally wrong. After that, it's up to Marv/DJ for picking him instead of a clearly better defensive lineman. It's the guys who were totally unproductive that bug me more than the obviously wrong positional choices.

Dont really consider Whitner a bust either....he just didn't live up to expectations

My idea of a bust is a player that you draft and cant get on the field and you end up having to cut because they are totally noproductive

So as long as they get their butt on the field for a few plays they aren't a bust?

Whitner was a bust because we were in need of help on the defensive line. Nagata was their for the taking. He would have gotten his butt on the field so by your standards, he would not be a bust. But nooooooo, the Bills brain trust decided the best way to build a defense was from the safety position forward. That draft alone should have been enough to seal the fate of Marv, DJ and Modrak.

For anyone that lists Williams just stop yourself. He was predicted to be a top 5 draft. If Dareus flames out in three years will anyone blame Nix? He was the consensus best DL player. Williams was 1 of 2 supposed elite tackles. Turns out neither of them have been elite. You can't blame the Bills for Williams failure. EVERYONE loved the pick.

McCargo and Losman are the most egregious not only because they were god awful but somehow he convinced people to trade up to get these disasters. There is a reason Losman went to Tulane. Just like there is a reason Kopernicus went to Nevada. McCargo was the third best player on his college DL.

+1

5) Donte Whitner - Serviceable player over the years but I would still consider a bust picked at #8. We had other needs that year. Picking a safety that high in the draft in general is not a good idea.

4) John McCargo - We traded up in the 1st round to get this guy. A total bust. He even has a hard time finding playing time on a young, losing team.

3) J.P. Losman - Just because of the importance of this position and the lack of success. We regressed with him in the huddle.

2) Mike Williams - Top 5 pick that was a total bust and our o-line has not been able to recover until the last few seasons (we still have a long way to go)

1) Aaron Maybin - Enough said!

Honourable mention - James Hardy, Marshawn Lynch

everyone in the first round except Dareus, Wood, Clements and Lee Evans (most of the rounds except the 7th an UDAs)

GREAT idea for a thread!!!!

1) Donte Whitner: Hear me out, please..... The 2006 draft was absolutely stacked. Levy said that he had numerous trade down offers. He turned away players such as Ngata, Davin Joseph, Mangold, Trueblood, etc. And, he could have had more than 1 of these instead of just Lil' Donte. Then, he traded up for McCargo. Worst draft ever.

2) Willis McGahee: Eric Steinbach was sitting there, and we really needed a guard. Instead, we took McGahee who had to sit out 20 games before he touched the football.

3) Aaron Maybin: I remember thinking, "at least he isn't a defensive back," but someone should have known that he sucked. And, he is a midget for a DE. An unthinkable mistake.

4) CJ Spiller: I know....let's draft a gadget player rb at #9, especially when we are deep at the rb position! :wallbash: After he was drafted, they have used all of a #5 and a #4 on the OL to give add blockers. Sure, they drafted Levitre and Wood the year before, but they also lost Peters.

5) Aaron Williams: Nix said he had numerous offers to trade down (he used the number 15, but I don't take this seriously). I am however sure that some of them involved a first round pick for 2012, as well as additional compensation. It makes no sense imo to draft another corner this high when premium picks are offered.

Hon. Mention:

1) Leotis McKelvin: A VERY stupid selection. Clady and Branden Albert were sitting there.

2) Mike Williams: McKinnie was sitting there and was a much better player. Still, TD TRIED to build the OL.

You had me until #4 and #5. That's just ridiculous, Bill.

Are YOU happy going into a season with McKelvin (one of your honorable mention busts), McGee (when he's not in the trainer's room receiving treatment), and (possibly) Drayton as your top three CBs?

Take the blinders off, Bill. CB is a huge NEED for this roster, and they picked a guy with a 1st round grade.

OMG, I just thought about Maybin, McCargo and Whitner's career stats for sacks and Interceptions.

12 seasons, 4 sacks, 5 interceptions.

EDIT: To Whitner's credit 60% of his career interceptions came in the last two years.

This sums it all up. Lets hope that we can look back at this years draft with much better numbers.