Your Top 5 Worst Draft Picks Of The Modrak Era

5) Donte Whitner - Serviceable player over the years but I would still consider a bust picked at #8. We had other needs that year. Picking a safety that high in the draft in general is not a good idea.

4) John McCargo - We traded up in the 1st round to get this guy. A total bust. He even has a hard time finding playing time on a young, losing team.

3) J.P. Losman - Just because of the importance of this position and the lack of success. We regressed with him in the huddle.

2) Mike Williams - Top 5 pick that was a total bust and our o-line has not been able to recover until the last few seasons (we still have a long way to go)

1) Aaron Maybin - Enough said!

Honourable mention - James Hardy, Marshawn Lynch

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, I just thought about Maybin, McCargo and Whitner's career stats for sacks and Interceptions.

12 seasons, 4 sacks, 5 interceptions.

EDIT: To Whitner's credit 60% of his career interceptions came in the last two years.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

5) Donte Whitner - Serviceable player over the years but I would still consider a bust picked at #8. We had other needs that year. Picking a safety that high in the draft in general is not a good idea.

4) John McCargo - We traded up in the 1st round to get this guy. A total bust. He even has a hard time finding playing time on a young, losing team.

3) J.P. Losman - Just because of the importance of this position and the lack of success. We regressed with him in the huddle.

2) Mike Williams - Top 5 pick that was a total bust and our o-line has not been able to recover until the last few seasons (we still have a long way to go)

1) Aaron Maybin - Enough said!

Honourable mention - James Hardy, Marshawn Lynch

How about making this easy on everyone and stating the best picks ? That list will be much shorter... I will start

- Kyle Williams

- Lee Evans

- Schobel

umm... aahhhh ...

(Note Nix was already on board when we picked Wood, Levitre and Byrd)

This is really sad........

Isn't it? I mean once, possibly twice, but this is a sizable group of epic misfires.

Honestly, how have we not been the worst team in this league with as bad as we've done at the top of our draft the last decade?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Isn't it? I mean once, possibly twice, but this is a sizable group of epic misfires.

Honestly, how have we not been the worst team in this league with as bad as we've done at the top of our draft the last decade?

Mike Williams..or..Bryant McKinney

Donte Whitner..or..Haloti Ngata/Jay Cutler

JP Losman..or..Steven Jackson/Karlos Dansby

John McCargo..or..Nick Mangold/DeAngelo Williams

James Hardy..or..Desean Jackson/Eddie Royal

Marshawn Lynch..or..Darrelle Revis

Aaron Maybin..or..Orakpo/Cushing/Matthews

Imagine the possibilities...

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

How about making this easy on everyone and stating the best picks ? That list will be much shorter... I will start

- Kyle Williams

- Lee Evans

- Schobel

umm... aahhhh ...

Wood, Levitre, Byrd, McGee, Butler, Stevie Johnson, ...???....

- Kyle Williams

- Lee Evans

- Schobel

umm... aahhhh ...

I will add Nate Clements to that list.

1) Losman - Panic move for a medicore player after the top 3 QBs were off the board; this selection cost the Bills a first AND a second round pick and thus qualifies as the single worst move of the decade.

2) Maybin - Unforgivable pick in the modern age where technology allows for such a deep analysis of players from high profile schools. Anyone involved with this pick should be banned from OBD forever.

3) McCargo - Complete whiff on evaluation of a guy's abilities; this selection cost the Bills a 2d and a 3d.

4) McGahee - The start of the Bills disastrous 'we're going to outsmart everybody' mentality. Who picks a RB #23 that is facing a year long rehab and an uncertain future when T Henry is coming off a 1400 yard season?

5) Whitner - Another poor evaluation of the player and even worse evaluation of the alternatives.

Honorable mentions - Mike Williams (Other than being picked 6-8 slots higher, no worse than most of the rest of this dreck), Lynch, Hardy, McKelvin, Evans (not because of the player but for the decision to bypass Wilfork and other quality DL prospects less than a year before letting Pat Williams walk. The defense has never recovered).

OMG, I just thought about Maybin, McCargo and Whitner's career stats for sacks and Interceptions.

12 seasons, 4 sacks, 5 interceptions.

EDIT: To Whitner's credit 60% of his career interceptions came in the last two years.

WOW.

Failures

1. Aaron Maybin

2. John McCargo

3. JP Losman

4. Mike Williams

5. James Hardy

Best

1. Kyle Williams

2. Eric Wood

3. Andy Levitre

4. Aaron Schobel

5. Arthur Moats (there are more proven for this spot, but I really like moats)

Mike Williams..or..Bryant McKinney

Donte Whitner..or..Haloti Ngata/Jay Cutler

JP Losman..or..Steven Jackson/Karlos Dansby

John McCargo..or..Nick Mangold/DeAngelo Williams

James Hardy..or..Desean Jackson/Eddie Royal

Marshawn Lynch..or..Darrelle Revis

Aaron Maybin..or..Orakpo/Cushing/Matthews

Imagine the possibilities...

That is really depressing...

GREAT idea for a thread!!!!

1) Donte Whitner: Hear me out, please..... The 2006 draft was absolutely stacked. Levy said that he had numerous trade down offers. He turned away players such as Ngata, Davin Joseph, Mangold, Trueblood, etc. And, he could have had more than 1 of these instead of just Lil' Donte. Then, he traded up for McCargo. Worst draft ever.

2) Willis McGahee: Eric Steinbach was sitting there, and we really needed a guard. Instead, we took McGahee who had to sit out 20 games before he touched the football.

3) Aaron Maybin: I remember thinking, "at least he isn't a defensive back," but someone should have known that he sucked. And, he is a midget for a DE. An unthinkable mistake.

4) CJ Spiller: I know....let's draft a gadget player rb at #9, especially when we are deep at the rb position! :wallbash: After he was drafted, they have used all of a #5 and a #4 on the OL to give add blockers. Sure, they drafted Levitre and Wood the year before, but they also lost Peters.

5) Aaron Williams: Nix said he had numerous offers to trade down (he used the number 15, but I don't take this seriously). I am however sure that some of them involved a first round pick for 2012, as well as additional compensation. It makes no sense imo to draft another corner this high when premium picks are offered.

Hon. Mention:

1) Leotis McKelvin: A VERY stupid selection. Clady and Branden Albert were sitting there.

2) Mike Williams: McKinnie was sitting there and was a much better player. Still, TD TRIED to build the OL.

In terms of their production:

1. Maybin

2. McCargo

3. 2004 draft minus Lee Evans

4. Hardy

5. Mike Williams

Worst:

1. Maybin - zero production

2. McCargo - a handfull of tackles one season, otherwise zero production

3. Hardy - 1 TD reception, otherwise zero production

4. Mike Williams - started ok and then got lazy

5. Losman - we reached to get him in the first round.

I dont understand why Lynch would be considered a bust.....he did have production for us.....

Dont really consider Whitner a bust either....he just didn't live up to expectations

My idea of a bust is a player that you draft and cant get on the field and you end up having to cut because they are totally noproductive

So of course Maybin

Losman (he he played but given the position and the fact that we cut him)

McCargo (a given)

Williams - yeah i guess you could consider him a bust...I just dont understand how in the heck we were so off on him.....I mean not even at RT or inside?

Maybin (HUGE bust)

GREAT idea for a thread!!!!

1) Donte Whitner: Hear me out, please..... The 2006 draft was absolutely stacked. Levy said that he had numerous trade down offers. He turned away players such as Ngata, Davin Joseph, Mangold, Trueblood, etc. And, he could have had more than 1 of these instead of just Lil' Donte. Then, he traded up for McCargo. Worst draft ever.

2) Willis McGahee: Eric Steinbach was sitting there, and we really needed a guard. Instead, we took McGahee who had to sit out 20 games before he touched the football.

3) Aaron Maybin: I remember thinking, "at least he isn't a defensive back," but someone should have known that he sucked. And, he is a midget for a DE. An unthinkable mistake.

4) CJ Spiller: I know....let's draft a gadget player rb at #9, especially when we are deep at the rb position! :wallbash: After he was drafted, they have used all of a #5 and a #4 on the OL to give add blockers. Sure, they drafted Levitre and Wood the year before, but they also lost Peters.

5) Aaron Williams: Nix said he had numerous offers to trade down (he used the number 15, but I don't take this seriously). I am however sure that some of them involved a first round pick for 2012, as well as additional compensation. It makes no sense imo to draft another corner this high when premium picks are offered.

Hon. Mention:

1) Leotis McKelvin: A VERY stupid selection. Clady and Branden Albert were sitting there.

2) Mike Williams: McKinnie was sitting there and was a much better player. Still, TD TRIED to build the OL.

Aaron Williams? Don't you think you should at least see him play a game?