We need to start looking at veteran free agent QB's

Fitz turns 29 in November he's still got 4-6 years of elite level play in front of himself

Boy, I've seen "elite" over-used and then there is this. Fitz is a stop-gap based on what he has

shown to date in his NFL career. Is there a chance that he shows that he is better this year? Yes,

and I'd be thrilled because I root for him. BUT, based on what I've seen so far, he isn't a good

starter, let alone an "elite" NFL QB.

Still, I don't think that they should bring in a good NFL backup. If Fitz gets hurt, the team will

truly flail with Brown or Brohm at QB. Is that such a bad thing? They appear to have enhanced

the D this offseason. With a year of experience last year's and this year's rookie defenders will

hopefully gel and make a pretty good D. If the QBs suck (if Fitz gets hurt), the Bills will pick

high again with the makings of a solid D already in place. Not bad, given that the team will

not vie for a playoff spot in this division this year, no matter what (unless Brady and Sanchez

break their legs in game 1 and a lot of other crap happens).

Boy, I've seen "elite" over-used and then there is this. Fitz is a stop-gap based on what he has

shown to date in his NFL career. Is there a chance that he shows that he is better this year? Yes,

and I'd be thrilled because I root for him. BUT, based on what I've seen so far, he isn't a good

Still, I don't think that they should bring in a good NFL backup. If Fitz gets hurt, the team will

truly flail with Brown or Brohm at QB. Is that such a bad thing? They appear to have enhanced

the D this offseason. With a year of experience last year's and this year's rookie defenders will

hopefully gel and make a pretty good D. If the QBs suck (if Fitz gets hurt), the Bills will pick

high again with the makings of a solid D already in place. Not bad, given that the team will

not vie for a playoff spot in this division this year, no matter what (unless Brady and Sanchez

I never could understand this ridiculous mentality. Under no circumstances whatsoever to you accept defeat. You never stop trying to get better this year in hopes that next year you can possibly get a high draft pick. What if we win 10 games and then lose Fitz at the end of the season? There goes your high draft pick. You go after the best players you can put on the field when you have the opportunity to do so and you worry about next year, next year.

I never could understand this ridiculous mentality. Under no circumstances whatsoever to you accept defeat. You never stop trying to get better this year in hopes that next year you can possibly get a high draft pick. What if we win 10 games and then lose Fitz at the end of the season? There goes your high draft pick. You go after the best players you can put on the field when you have the opportunity to do so and you worry about next year, next year.

I don't disagree, if the team is going to be competitive. However, look at the Pats and Jets in this division. Do you honestly think

in Ryan Fitzpatrick's ultra-dream season with the Bills' supporting cast that they have a chance to win this division or even compete

as a wild-card?

If you like Chan and Buddy or if you don't like the three year coaching carousel that the Bills have in place (or just a Bills fan), you want as many wins as possible and while I agree Fitz might not be the next Payton Manning, with some help on the OL, he can become much better if not elite. Chris Hairston may be able to contribute or the Bills might pick up a free agent OT.

This is a backup thread, aka "Who should be Fitz backup?" Brohm is on the outs and Levi isnt an NFL caliber player as evidenced by the Bills cutting him (not even puting him on the practice squad - cutting him) and the other 31 NFL teams not picking him up in almost a months time.

So what happens if Fitz gets injured behind out pourus OL? We dont have anything good. Honestly, thats fine with me. If an injury does take Fitz down just ride out the year to Andrew Luck. But if we are serious about fielding a team that can win games even with our [below average] starter injured, we need to bring in someone who can either A) develop into a starter or B) has starting experience. Whether its big names like Quinn or V Young, or someone else, it has to be someone.

PS, I know Fitz contract is up after this year, but we should totally keep him as a backup if nothing else. He is very valuable.

Honestly, I was thinking Seneca Wallace.

A guy who has experience, but won't be viewed as a threat to Fitzpatrick's role as leader of this team. Someone that could step in and manage an offense if called upon. I think Gailey could probably do some good things with him as our backup.

My issue was with the term "elite," playing good in a majority of games doesn't make him elite in any way. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are elite. He's not in their class and didn't play one game in their class last year.

brady is not elite either...his coach is..tom is very good with a very good TEAM around him..fitz played several games in bradys class last year but his TEAM (especialy the d) didnt give support

I don't disagree, if the team is going to be competitive. However, look at the Pats and Jets in this division. Do you honestly think

in Ryan Fitzpatrick's ultra-dream season with the Bills' supporting cast that they have a chance to win this division or even compete

as a wild-card?

In all honesty, if Fitz has a top ten defense and a bit better offensive line play, yes. Try to understand also that this team has a lot of up and coming talent. Troupe, Carrington, Batten, Moats, Easley, Spiller, Steve Johnson, Wood, Levitre just to name a few that are getting better at their positions. That's not even counting this year's additions. This team is getting better. Fitz can get us there for sure and there is no guarantee that he himself won't improve. The notion that he can't get us there is what I find ridiculous. People seem to think that the bad throws he made last year is all on him. Every QB in the league makes bad throws but not all of them have had to do so under the same amount of pressure. If his supporting cast improves, so will his play. Unless of course he tanks. I just don't see that happening.

Edited by Rockinon

I think they will pick someone up who is not threat to Fitz. A Croyle or someone like that.

This is Fitz's team this year. No more QB controversy.

And it's about time ! I think he deserves one legit shot from off season to the end of that particular season . The way he has started out this off season with the lock out & putting camp Fitz together you can't ask for more than that out of a quality leader !!

The guy may not be the Peyton Manning or Tom Brady & i know this may get some of the Bills fans here but he has an almost Flutie air about him . He's always had to prove himself , never given him anything , every one has always said he's not a NFL starting quality QB .

The guy has plenty enough motivation & i for one hope he proves all nay sayers wrong & makes them eat every negative word ever spoken about him , that would just make him being a Bill all that much sweeter !!!!

Go Fitz - Go Bills !!!!!!

Here is the list of FA QBs;

# Kyle Boller (OAK)

# Marc Bulger (BAL)

# Kellen Clemens (NYJ)

# Kerry Collins (TEN)

# Todd Collins (CHI)

# Brodie Croyle (KC)

# Dennis Dixon (PIT)

# Trent Edwards (JAC)

# Bruce Gradkowski (OAK)

# Rex Grossman (WAS)

# Caleb Hanie (CHI)

# Tarvaris Jackson (MIN)

# Matt Leinart (HOU)

# Luke McCown (JAC)

# Matt Moore (CAR)

# Chad Pennington (MIA)

# Brady Quinn (DEN)

# Alex Smith (SF)

# Troy Smith (SF)

# Jim Sorgi (NYG)

# Drew Stanton (DET)

# Tyler Thigpen (MIA)

# Billy Volek (SD)

# Seneca Wallace (CL

There is also a possibility that Matt Hasselbeck will be done in Seatle(he rejected the Seahawks contract offer) and Carson Palmer wants to be traded(threatens to retire if Cincy doesn't oblige).

# Kyle Boller (OAK)

# Marc Bulger (BAL)

# Kellen Clemens (NYJ)

# Kerry Collins (TEN)

# Todd Collins (CHI)

# Brodie Croyle (KC)

# Dennis Dixon (PIT)

# Trent Edwards (JAC)

# Bruce Gradkowski (OAK)

# Rex Grossman (WAS)

# Caleb Hanie (CHI)

# Tarvaris Jackson (MIN)

# Matt Leinart (HOU)

# Luke McCown (JAC)

# Matt Moore (CAR)

# Chad Pennington (MIA)

# Brady Quinn (DEN)

# Alex Smith (SF)

# Troy Smith (SF)

# Jim Sorgi (NYG)

# Drew Stanton (DET)

# Tyler Thigpen (MIA)

# Billy Volek (SD)

# Seneca Wallace (CL

There is also a possibility that Matt Hasselbeck will be done in Seatle(he rejected the Seahawks contract offer) and Carson Palmer wants to be traded(threatens to retire if Cincy doesn't oblige).

Is Dennis Dixon really available? He would be a great backup, IMO, and a guy that Gailey could really do some wonders with.

Fitz played well enough to get a full shot this season. No training camp battles, no "controversy".

He is smart, he plays tough, and he's a leader. He's been through the learning curve of the Gailey offense.

Exactly.

I don't understand why people get so hung up on finding someone to 'compete' with Fitz (and then offer up a list of guys who have never done anything or else are overdue for retirement). Unless they are going to find someone that is significantly better than Fitz, what is the point of creating distraction and divided loyalties in the locker room? And I've yet to see the list of guys that are significantly better than Fitz that are realistically available.

Honestly, I was thinking Seneca Wallace.

A guy who has experience, but won't be viewed as a threat to Fitzpatrick's role as leader of this team. Someone that could step in and manage an offense if called upon. I think Gailey could probably do some good things with him as our backup.

Seneca Wallace would be a good choice. He's been in the league for a while as a backup. I've seen him play when he was in Seattle and he got pretty decent towards the end. He's fast. Career 6.4 comp % and 83.9 rate. Not great, but could be a solid backup.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but GM Buddy Nix stated in a radio interview that they will add 2 QBs, one a FA veteran who can come in and win games if need be and the other being a developmental type QB. I'd like to see the Bills kick the tires on veteran Tyler Thigpen and UDFA Jeff Van Camp.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but GM Buddy Nix stated in a radio interview that they will add 2 QBs, one a FA veteran who can come in and win games if need be and the other being a developmental type QB. I'd like to see the Bills kick the tires on veteran Tyler Thigpen and UDFA Jeff Van Camp.

Actually what I heard Buddy say was 2 QBs, one a FA veteran who can come in and win games if need be and the other a guy who can throw passes to WRs in training camp. Kindof a Craig Nall/Matt Baker kind of guy is what I took it to mean.

Actually what I heard Buddy say was 2 QBs, one a FA veteran who can come in and win games if need be and the other a guy who can throw passes to WRs in training camp. Kindof a Craig Nall/Matt Baker kind of guy is what I took it to mean.

"come ina and win games if need be"??

There's a guy like that? Why didn't we sign him last year? We needed to win a lot more games!

Exactly.

I don't understand why people get so hung up on finding someone to 'compete' with Fitz (and then offer up a list of guys who have never done anything or else are overdue for retirement). Unless they are going to find someone that is significantly better than Fitz, what is the point of creating distraction and divided loyalties in the locker room? And I've yet to see the list of guys that are significantly better than Fitz that are realistically available.

Fitz had done absolutely nothing when we picked him up to be a backup........but he has since thrown 23 td in 13 games so we are set at QB for 4-6 years.

Fitz had done absolutely nothing when we picked him up to be a backup........but he has since thrown 23 td in 13 games so we are set at QB for 4-6 years.

He started with the Bills in '09.. It's 32 TDs in 23 games.

Edited by Mr. WEO

My issue was with the term "elite," playing good in a majority of games doesn't make him elite in any way. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are elite. He's not in their class and didn't play one game in their class last year.

I think it's a bit unfair to expect every QB to be Manning/Brady.

Fitzpatrick doesn't need to be elite for this team to win. If we shore up our defense, keep a decent running game, and make less passing mistakes, we'll be just fine. He's proven he can make the throws, he just has/had to take more chances because we often times play from behind, imo. I'm not sure who you're expecting to pick up via FA or draft that'd guarantee "elite" status more than Fitzpatrick at this point...

I'm interested in seeing how he does this year as the clear starter and hopefully with a better team around him.

He started with the Bills in '09.. It's 32 TDs in 33 games.

He started 8 games with the Bills in '09 with... well you remember the offense. He had 8 passing touchdowns in those games. So 31tds in 21 games started... all while in a QB battle and learning two new offenses... I'm not opposed to that performance. Hopefully he'll improve with stability like most would.

Edited by Dorkington

You want to "find" a qb that can compete with Fitz. Where? The want ads? Craigslist? Do you think there's any FA QBs that can compete with Fitz? IMO, Vince Young and Matt Hasselback are the only 2 that can do that. I doubt VY would he much of a competition due to Fitz already being on the system for a year. VY would have to learn the system and probably wouldn't be a good option to start til mid season, at least. Most on this board hate the thought of VY, I love it, considering our HC and the otter options available. Hasselback is at the end of his career. Seattle doesn't have another good option at qb, and they might let him walk...so why would we want him? If he's available and affordable, he would've be a terrible option strictly as a backup, but Eh. Any other QB that could "compete" with Fitz, is already under contract with another team and we'd have to give up a pick. I'd be ok with trading away a 5-7th round for the right guy, but it may not be easy to find a team willing to part with a viable backup.

Here's a list: "find" one that can compete with Fitz.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php

I'm with you on VY. I would love to see what Chan The Man could do with him!!

I think it's a bit unfair to expect every QB to be Manning/Brady.

Fitzpatrick doesn't need to be elite for this team to win. If we shore up our defense, keep a decent running game, and make less passing mistakes, we'll be just fine. He's proven he can make the throws, he just has/had to take more chances because we often times play from behind, imo. I'm not sure who you're expecting to pick up via FA or draft that'd guarantee "elite" status more than Fitzpatrick at this point...

I'm interested in seeing how he does this year as the clear starter and hopefully with a better team around him.

He started 8 games with the Bills in '09 with... well you remember the offense. He had 8 passing touchdowns in those games. So 31tds in 21 games started... all while in a QB battle and learning two new offenses... I'm not opposed to that performance. Hopefully he'll improve with stability like most would.

I'm not opposed to that performance either. Too bad Chan wasn't closely watching the game film of '09 (Fitz and Trent).

Exactly.

That's the way I am looking at it. They are not going to give up future draft picks to get someone so the list is pretty much what it is. Trading for someone like Kolb is really not going to happen if we are giving up too much. Their draft strategy is pretty strait forward and their FA strategy, I think is too. They aren't going to get cute here and bet the farm on FA pickups.

As for the competing part, that in my opinion is not so relevant. They should simply get the best QB they can in FA without selling the team's future with multiple draft picks. If they happen to land a QB that will actually compete with Fit'z, there is nothing wrong with that. My guess though, is that Fit'z is going to have the inside track on a starting position anyway. The idea should always be to put the best team on the field that you can. Everything else is simply secondary.

Edited by Rockinon

# Kyle Boller (OAK)

# Marc Bulger (BAL)

# Kellen Clemens (NYJ)

# Kerry Collins (TEN)

# Todd Collins (CHI)

# Brodie Croyle (KC) - Has a past working with Chan

# Dennis Dixon (PIT)

# Trent Edwards (JAC)

# Bruce Gradkowski (OAK)

# Rex Grossman (WAS)

# Caleb Hanie (CHI)

# Tarvaris Jackson (MIN)

# Matt Leinart (HOU) - Could be an interesting pickup to sit behind Fitz (Maybe being bumped around fixed his attitude?)

# Luke McCown (JAC)

# Matt Moore (CAR)

# Chad Pennington (MIA)

# Brady Quinn (DEN) - Wouldn't mind seeing what this staff could do with him

# Alex Smith (SF) - **Rumored to be going back to SF as the starter, Harbaugh wants him back and feels he's coming back**

# Troy Smith (SF) - Another guy who i would like to see what this staff could do with

# Jim Sorgi (NYG) - Sat behind both Mannings, Maybe the bills could learn something from what he has learned?

# Drew Stanton (DET)

# Tyler Thigpen (MIA) - Same as Croyle, Has a past with Chan

# Billy Volek (SD)

# Seneca Wallace (CL

Want to know how to build a consistent 8-8 team? Worry about hurting the feelings of mid level players and elimenating all competition from around them because "They earned the right by leading a team to 4-12". ALL POSITIONS SHOULD BE UP FOR GRABS, EVEN IF YOU ARE A PRO BOWLER. That is how you build a winning team, by ALWAYS looking to improve

Fitz was, at worst, in the middle of the pack of starting QBs a year ago. That means approximately 15 teams don't have a starter who was as productive. It's not about whether or not there's a "competition" -- where are the Bills going to FIND a QB to come in who is as good or better than Fitz?

You just don't get it. Because you have a perceived need for a great QB, what you do is pick a guy, any guy, and he automatically becomes The One. Don't believe me? Read some of the threads around TSW.

I think VY is just not someone the staff of the Bills will want to deal with JMO I don't see them doing that. I think TT or Croyle are guys they might consider just because of Chan's past and his penchant for getting guys he knows and likes. I don't really like either of them much(and have doubts they fit this team well) and would rather see Bruce Gradkowski, first choice (who in my opinion leads well and played with a crap team but did ok, stats aside) or Wallace or Troy Smith but all would be strictly as back ups (and TS is iffy at best).

I am in the camp that yes you need to be the best you can be (and sure competition can and sure bring that out in players) BUT I think Fitz earned this year to further develop with a better team around him. QB competitions also can sour a locker room among other problems. I trust they have some options in mind. I also think they will sign a good OT maybe another OLB and a TE who are on the young side. Judging from year one and this draft they have a plan and a FO with a plan is all I ever wanted. :thumbsup: