Does the FO believe there will be a role for Maybin next year?

I really wanted (thought) Bills' FO would go OLB in Round 2 (Ayers/Houston/Reed) and was very suprised that they went CB. I thought that would be a great complement piece after drafting Dareus. Not only did they not draft an OLB in Round 2, they didn't take one period. I understand you can't fill every hole in one draft, but as it stands now, we're looking at Moats (second year converted DE) and Merriman (oft injured vet three years away from last decent season) as starting OLBs. Did the FO avoid the position because they believe Maybin will compete for a starting job? Will they be looking at the position in FA? Personnally, I don't think Maybin makes it past training camp but I'm curious if any posters think that draft strategy was influenced by a belief that Maybin can actually play a role next year.

CB is a need. Its a good thing they filled it.

The Bills must believe that the current OLB depth is good enough, unless they plan on grabbing someone in FA if it ever starts. The must be more comfortable with the OLB situation than DB.

Searcy and Rogers were two of my favorite DBs going into the draft. I would have rather had Jimmy Smith over Williams, but Williams is right below Smith in the CBs for this class.

I really wanted (thought) Bills' FO would go OLB in Round 2 (Ayers/Houston/Reed) and was very suprised that they went CB. I thought that would be a great complement piece after drafting Dareus. Not only did they not draft an OLB in Round 2, they didn't take one period. I understand you can't fill every hole in one draft, but as it stands now, we're looking at Moats (second year converted DE) and Merriman (oft injured vet three years away from last decent season) as starting OLBs. Did the FO avoid the position because they believe Maybin will compete for a starting job? Will they be looking at the position in FA? Personnally, I don't think Maybin makes it past training camp but I'm curious if any posters think that draft strategy was influenced by a belief that Maybin can actually play a role next year.

I really don't think that they avoided it because they think Maybin is the answer. They said a few times

before the draft that they felt that they needed inside LBs more than outside. They did note that they

were comfortable with Merriman's health outlook and like Moats. I also think that they didn't like the OLB

players available after Von Miller. There was a lot of mixed opinion on Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston.

For Houston, in particular, I saw reports that he didn't play all-out all of the time. If you look at the guys

that they Bills did take, the vast majority are described as being self-starters, highly motivated, hard

workers.

I think those are the reasons that they passed on OLBs.

I was looking at the roster last night and there will be some tough cuts, especially on defense. Maybe Maybin could be a situational pass rusher, but I am not holding my breath. Competition for a defensive spot will be fierce. Maybin better show something this preseason or he is endangered of being cut. We have no room on the roster for projects. And Gailey does not give a damn what round you were drafted. Put up or shut up time for Maybin

50 Ayodele, Akin LB 6-2 245 31 9 Purdue

57 Batten, Danny LB 6-4 250 23 R South Dakota State

31 Byrd, Jairus S 5-10 200 24 2 Oregon

92 Carrington, Alex DE 6-5 284 23 R Arkansas State

59 Coleman, Antonio LB 6-1 248 24 R Auburn

27 Corner, Reggie CB 5-9 175 27 3 Akron

33 Corto, Jon S 6-1 220 26 3 Sacred Heart

54 Davis, Andra LB 6-1 251 32 9 Florida

98 Edwards, Dwan DE 6-3 290 29 6 Oregon State

56 Ellison, Keith LB 6-0 229 27 5 Oregon State

29 Florence, Drayton CB 6-0 195 30 8 Tuskegee

72 Heard, Kellen DT 6-6 355 25 R Memphis

91 Johnson, Spencer DE 6-3 286 29 7 Auburn

90 Kelsay, Chris LB 6-4 261 31 8 Nebraska

45 Kirlew, Jammie LB 6-3 260 23 R Indiana

58 Maybin, Aaron LB 6-4 250 23 2 Penn State

97 McCargo, John DE 6-2 307 27 5 NC State

24 McGee, Terrence CB 5-9 198 30 8 Northwestern State

28 McKelvin , Leodis CB 5-10 184 25 3 Troy

52 Moats, Arthur LB 6-2 250 23 R James Madison

51 Posluszny, Paul LB 6-1 238 26 4 Penn State

76 Rinehart, Chad OL 6-5 307 25 3 Northern Iowa

43 Scott, Bryan S 6-1 219 30 8 Penn State

53 Torbor, Reggie LB 6-2 250 30 7 Auburn

96 Troup, Torell NT 6-3 315 22 R Central Florida

20 Whitner, Donte S 5-10 208 25 5 Ohio State

95 Williams, Kyle NT 6-1 306 27 5 LSU

37 Wilson, George S 6-0 212 30 5 Arkansas

26 Youboty, Ashton CB 5-11 189 26 5 Ohio State

Round Pick Overall Pos. Player College

1 3 3 DT Marcell Dareus Alabama

2 2 34 CB Aaron Williams Texas

3 4 68 ILB Kelvin Sheppard LSU

4 3 100 S Da'Norris Searcy North Carolina

4 25* 122 OT Chris Hairston Clemson

5 2 133 RB Johnny White North Carolina

6 4 169 ILB Chris White Mississippi St.

7 3 206 CB Justin Rogers Richmond

7 42** 245 DT Michael Jasper Bethel (TN)

I really don't think that they avoided it because they think Maybin is the answer. They said a few times

before the draft that they felt that they needed inside LBs more than outside. They did note that they

were comfortable with Merriman's health outlook and like Moats. I also think that they didn't like the OLB

players available after Von Miller. There was a lot of mixed opinion on Akeem Ayers and Justin Houston.

For Houston, in particular, I saw reports that he didn't play all-out all of the time. If you look at the guys

that they Bills did take, the vast majority are described as being self-starters, highly motivated, hard

workers.

I think those are the reasons that they passed on OLBs.

OldTimer agree, I don't think they avoided it bcuz they think Maybin is the answer....at least, if Maybin is the answer, we ask "what was the question?"

I would have liked to see them draft Martez Wilson. I think N'Orleans knows their LB and they took him....quality endorsement.

Like you said, they seem to feel need is greater at ILB and from all the info Sheppard sounds like a high-quality high-motor leader type of guy.

I kinda feel Bills trusted their scouting better below the M-D line....perhaps they need to improve their player scouting and contacts north and west?

Maybe Wannstache will help there for next year.

Edited by Hopeful

I doubt anyone thinks Maybin will do anything but there is no harm in giving him one more shot. I mean he's not keeping anyone better off the roster at this point. Once camp starts I think Chan and Wanny will know what they have with him early. They won't waste any time dumping him if it's more of the same.

PTR

He's got one training camp to prove himself. No matter how bad he has been, it still is completely foolish to give up on a 22 yo pass rusher after 2 seasons.

I expect nothing as probably most of the fanbase & organization. But stranger things have happen.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

He's got one training camp to prove himself. No matter how bad he has been, it still is completely foolish to give up on a 22 yo pass rusher after 2 seasons.

I expect nothing as probably most of the fanbase & organization. But stranger things gave happen.

The only thing I will say in Maybin's favor is that he came out early and that might have hurt him. He may not have been physically ready for the NFL, not to mention mentally! If he grows up and fills out some and gets his attitude right he may amount to something. But I wouldn't bet on it.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Maybin never really got the chance to play standing up in a game, he always had his hand in the dirt, i think they are gonna give him alotta reps during preseason to see if he can actually do it, don't forget we have the wanny now maybe he can actually help him...

Everytime i seen maybin getting snaps he always had his hand in the dirt, and i still have every game on my DVR.

Maybin is a bust at DE. Even North Korea knows it. What I find interesting is that defensive alignment wise, he was barely used as a straight up 3-4 LB, and when he did Stroud was the DE on his side. All I am really saying is that I am anxious to see what he does in that role this year, being as this is certain to be his last opportunity with the Buffalo Bills.

Maybin is a bust at DE. Even North Korea knows it. What I find interesting is that defensive alignment wise, he was barely used as a straight up 3-4 LB, and when he did Stroud was the DE on his side. All I am really saying is that I am anxious to see what he does in that role this year, being as this is certain to be his last opportunity with the Buffalo Bills.

It's really not a question of who he had in front of him. Given the injuries last year, if he had showed anything in practice he would've been out on the field. I'd like his chances of developing into an actual player a lot better if he had actually earned playing time. But based on his career thus far, it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone with the first wave of cuts.

I have to believe that they will use Maybin in some capacity next season. Being still young - and you have to believe hungry for success - he will try to do what it takes to not be considered a total bust by the end of his career. It has to be obvious that he was not successful at his current position - but thats not to say he cannot make it at some other spot on the field - such as SS. He is just not in the right place for his talents.

The only thing I will say in Maybin's favor is that he came out early and that might have hurt him. He may not have been physically ready for the NFL, not to mention mentally! If he grows up and fills out some and gets his attitude right he may amount to something. But I wouldn't bet on it.

PTR

Kelvin Sheppard is OLDER than Aaron Maybin.

That tells you how young (and immature) of a player we drafted two whole years ago. I think Bills fans should relax with the trashing of Maybin and let's see what he does this his third training camp.

Maybin seems like a kid who should have stayed another year in school, but with idiots like Jauron who have no problem drafting such an immature (both physically and mentally) guy in the first round, who could blame him for striking when the iron was hot.

Let's hope Maybin somehow turns it around and becomes a big surprise for us.

Edited by 1billsfan