Does the FO believe there will be a role for Maybin next year?

I really wanted (thought) Bills' FO would go OLB in Round 2 (Ayers/Houston/Reed) and was very suprised that they went CB. I thought that would be a great complement piece after drafting Dareus. Not only did they not draft an OLB in Round 2, they didn't take one period. I understand you can't fill every hole in one draft, but as it stands now, we're looking at Moats (second year converted DE) and Merriman (oft injured vet three years away from last decent season) as starting OLBs. Did the FO avoid the position because they believe Maybin will compete for a starting job? Will they be looking at the position in FA? Personnally, I don't think Maybin makes it past training camp but I'm curious if any posters think that draft strategy was influenced by a belief that Maybin can actually play a role next year.

I think Maybin tweeted that he took this as a vote of confidence and he would now feel more comfortable taking some time off from his busy training schedule this offseason.

I really wanted (thought) Bills' FO would go OLB in Round 2 (Ayers/Houston/Reed) and was very suprised that they went CB. I thought that would be a great complement piece after drafting Dareus. Not only did they not draft an OLB in Round 2, they didn't take one period. I understand you can't fill every hole in one draft, but as it stands now, we're looking at Moats (second year converted DE) and Merriman (oft injured vet three years away from last decent season) as starting OLBs. Did the FO avoid the position because they believe Maybin will compete for a starting job? Will they be looking at the position in FA? Personnally, I don't think Maybin makes it past training camp but I'm curious if any posters think that draft strategy was influenced by a belief that Maybin can actually play a role next year.

No, we will get some UDA to take his place.

Let's take a look at the guys they have for OLB,

Kelsay, Merriman, Torbor, Moats, Coleman, Maybin and maybe Batten. That's seven right there, granted they'll keep more for ST, but keeping 7 OLB?

Maybin better work on covering kicks and punts if he expects to be around for the regular season.

By the way the Starters will probably be Kelsay and Merriman.

Edited by tjprime

Let's take a look at the guys they have for OLB,

Kelsay, Merriman, Torbor, Moats, Coleman, Maybin and maybe Batten. That's seven right there, granted they'll keep more for ST, but keeping 7 OLB?

Maybin better work on covering kicks and punts if he expects to be around for the regular season.

By the way the Starters will probably be Kelsay and Merriman.

I think Kelsey is back to D line after he was disaster to start the season. Merriman ,Poz, Davis and Torbor

OldTimer agree, I don't think they avoided it bcuz they think Maybin is the answer....at least, if Maybin is the answer, we ask "what was the question?"

I would have liked to see them draft Martez Wilson. I think N'Orleans knows their LB and they took him....quality endorsement.

Like you said, they seem to feel need is greater at ILB and from all the info Sheppard sounds like a high-quality high-motor leader type of guy.

I kinda feel Bills trusted their scouting better below the M-D line....perhaps they need to improve their player scouting and contacts north and west?

Maybe Wannstache will help there for next year.

Quite the opposite. The saints LB crew is a big weakness right now. Shanle? Really? They haven't been able to replace Scott shanle in how many years? They also had guys bouncing from starting to inactive to starting on the other side. The olb position is atrocious currently.

I think Kelsey is back to D line after he was disaster to start the season. Merriman ,Poz, Davis and Torbor

Kelsey is definitely back on the D line as a back-up if he makes the team.

Also, you can't deny Moats a starting slot over Torbor. I think we are going to see some interesting battles in the middle with Poz' history of injuries and never being in the face of runners impacting his possible loss of starter's status.

Also, you can't deny Moats a starting slot over Torbor. I think we are going to see some interesting battles in the middle with Poz' history of injuries and never being in the face of runners impacting his possible loss of starter's status.

The only reason i put Moats behind Torbor is because Torbor is more ready to play every down that Moats. Moats is a situational pass rusher at this point IMO but he has a chance to grow into that role

During training camp rolls are served every day at dinner. Yes, Maybin can have one.

+1

I was actually thinking a similar quip

The only reason i put Moats behind Torbor is because Torbor is more ready to play every down that Moats. Moats is a situational pass rusher at this point IMO but he has a chance to grow into that role

I think you may be right which means... sheesh, they had better look at a FA acquisition unless they think Batten can play OLB or one of the other LB can.

Torbor was...Torpid.

I hope Merriman is healthy but you can't field a team on hope.

Edited by Hopeful

OLB's Batten (who they just announced is moving back to OLB) Merriman, Moats, Torbor, Kelsay if he isn't cut.

Kelsay really has no place in a 3-man line now that we added Dareus. Who are they supposed to bench for Kelsay:

Bills D-line "starters"

Kyle Williams (top veteran player on the whole defense)

Marcell Dareus (duh)

Torrell Troup (last year's second rounder)

Dwan Edwards (last year's top FA signing)

Alex Carrington (last year's third rounder)

I can't imagine them giving up on any of these guys.

Five guys for 3 spots, not counting Spencer Johnson, who is the only DL I could imagine them cutting before Kelsay. That makes DE Kelsay the sixth DL. What am I missing here?

IF they go 4-3, he could stick. Otherwise OLB Kelsay had better get a lot better in run contain as an OLB this Summer.

Edited by BobChalmers

OLB's Batten (who they just announced is moving back to OLB) Merriman, Moats, Torbor, Kelsay if he isn't cut.

Kelsay really has no place in a 3-man line now that we added Dareus. Who are they supposed to bench for Kelsay:

Bills D-line "starters"

Kyle Williams

Marcell Dareus

Torrell Troup

Dwan Edwards

Alex Carrington

Five guys for 3 spots, not counting Spencer Johnson, who is the only DL I could imagine them cutting before Kelsay. What am I missing here?

IF they go 4-3, he could stick. Otherwise he had better get a lot better in run contain as an OLB this Summer.

They have said they want to play a hybrid D so maybe he has a place. I don't know tho,it should be a fun training camp!

Unfortunately, Kelsay is still a LB, and in all likelihood the starting OLB in game one, unless Moats beats him out, which I think is unlikely. Kelsay played DE when we were in a 4-3, and he still may do a little of that, although with Dareus, Edwards, Carrington and Spencer Johnson, he may not. He's a better end than LB and he's just an average end. But he's going to play OLB in our 3-4, which we will play much more of because we now have two years of drafting players for it. Right now, Kelsay would be one starter and Merriman the other assuming he is healthy.

OLB's Batten (who they just announced is moving back to OLB)

Linky?

Unfortunately, Kelsay is still a LB, and in all likelihood the starting OLB in game one

Gah. The experiment of switching Kelsay to OLB failed last year. You know how Gailey was quoted saying we asked some guys to do things they just couldn't do?

Exhibit A. Kelsay as LB.

Unfortunately, Kelsay is still a LB, and in all likelihood the starting OLB in game one, unless Moats beats him out, which I think is unlikely. Kelsay played DE when we were in a 4-3, and he still may do a little of that, although with Dareus, Edwards, Carrington and Spencer Johnson, he may not. He's a better end than LB and he's just an average end. But he's going to play OLB in our 3-4, which we will play much more of because we now have two years of drafting players for it. Right now, Kelsay would be one starter and Merriman the other assuming he is healthy.

I think it would be tragic for this team to hold back Moats' (or Batten's) development as OLB so that Kelsay can continue to do it poorly. Kelsay's inability to contain outside runs was probably the single most glaring weakness on the entire team.

He was only a fair-to-good DE even in our previous Tampa-2. As an OLB he was awful - unless he improves a lot this offseason, keeping him to play OLB is just nuts.

They said it in the post draft presser i believe

What I heard in the post-draft presser was non-committal. Let's see (rummage rummage):

On if he still sees playing LB Danny Battenicon-article-link.gif inside:

CG: That’s something that will be determined as time goes on. There’s going to have to be some movement, yes, don’t know which way it’s going to go right now. That’s one of the things that we are considering at this point.

Typical Gailey response that sounds like an answer, until you go back and listen again.