It's pretty embarrassing, reading this board sometimes...

Yeah I feel the same way. But as you said the ILB is a much safer bet than Mallet, so the Bills made the smart choice in my opinion. Even if Mallet turns into the next Brady, which I have the sinking feeling he could, nothing says he would have turned out the same on a team like Buffalo.

It will be interesting to see if Mallett is content to work hard and sit behind Brady for several years. I could see that situation getting ugly.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see if Mallett is content to work hard and sit behind Brady for several years. I could see that situation getting ugly.

Mallett will be a great teammate and will step in when called upon. Nobody will be calling for Brady's head until his arm is gone. Just like what we did with Kelly. Toward the end, it was apparent that Kelly's arm was only good with a week's off between starts. If/when that happens with Brady, they will call for Mallett. Until then no one has any reason to suspect that Mallet will be anything but prepared and ready to fill in when called. This will not be an ugly situation.

All I know is that this draft really puts in perspective last years draft. This just might be the year that our defense starts pushing people backwards for a change. One thing that I have noticed over the years is that any line, O or D, that gets knocked off the ball most of the time will ultimately fall to injury. When huge strong men are being physically overmatched while being driven backwards, muscles, tendons, and cartilage really get torn up. But when you see a unit imposing their will, they generally stay healthier through the season. How many times have we watched one of our lineman go down because the overmatched guy next to him fell into his legs. Straight dominoes gentlemen.

Valid point, Reality. Yep, if you're getting outmuscled and shoved around while trying your hardest, expect injury.

Mallett will be a great teammate and will step in when called upon. Nobody will be calling for Brady's head until his arm is gone. Just like what we did with Kelly. Toward the end, it was apparent that Kelly's arm was only good with a week's off between starts. If/when that happens with Brady, they will call for Mallett. Until then no one has any reason to suspect that Mallet will be anything but prepared and ready to fill in when called. This will not be an ugly situation.

I respect your opinion, but you have no way of knowing this for sure.

Mallett is rumored to be extremely immature and selfish. Add in the reports of drugs use. It's possible that with money in his pocket and time on his hands, the drug use could become a problem. Even if it doesn't, it's possible that he will be unhappy sitting on the bench but still being expected to put in the work, especially if he gets a chance to play a little bit tastes a little success. I have no idea what will happen, but I am interested in following it.

There's no "see if Mallet is content" about it. Mallet will do what he's told and like it, or he'll get hammered out of Foxboro PDQ.

Mallet isn't WonderBoy to NE, he's their 5th pick of the draft equivalent in impact/need to a 5th round pick for most teams.

I might loathe the man, but there's no denying Belicheat runs a taut ship.

Mallet couldn't have gone to a better place for him to keep his head on straight and develop.

Also agree with CodeMonkey: Mallet may succeed in NE, it does not follow he would have become the same player somewhere else.

I would have liked Dalton or Kaepernick on Rd2 instead of a DB

Just curious and not attacking you as some have, but what about either of those two players makes you think they would end up being a better option at QB than Fitzpatrick?

You spend a lot of time highlighting Fitz's mediocrity as a reason the current Bills won't ever contend. I agree he's not an elite passer and almost definitely never will be. But Dalton and Kaepernick, despite coming from winning college programs, seem to have glaring weaknesses in their games.

Aaron Williams fills a more pressing need for the team, IMO. He will be able to contribute quicker than either of those two qbs. In my mind, the Bills made the right choice if they're trying to get better immediately, which should be their mentality.

Honestly, I know it's an open forum, which means any half-wit with an internet connection and a keyboard can speak his mind, but the gnashing of teeth over late round draft picks is both comical and embarrassing. We have supposedly "knowledgeable" football fans who can't understand how many defensive backs a team needs to go to training camp. We have folks apparently unwilling to accept that the Bills' front office didn't believe a developmental prospect at QB was more important than finding players who can contribute immediately. We have people who think two RBs are enough for an entire season. This stuff amazes me - particularly the "Joe Schmoe was sitting there in the 6th round; how did these idiots not take him?" nonsense.

The Bills just got a lot more talented and addressed a number of significant needs. They couldn't fix everything with nine draft picks, but we are in a heluva lot better shape than we were on Thursday afternoon. Did everyone suddenly forget that except for about three games, the talent-poor 2010 Bills were in a position to win every game if they make a few plays in the 4th quarter or OT?

I'm tired of the decade of losing as much (if not more) as anyone. I've only enjoyed approximately 40% of my Sundays over the last 12 years. But only the most pessimistic of fans would not be encouraged by what we're seeing out of the organization.

If I'm too "optimistic" for your liking...well, then, kiss off. :P

In all honesty, I get that there are eternal optimists. That's fine and a great way to be. But then there are people like yourself who masquerade as optimists but actually are just displacing their frustration onto other fans. Is it really necessary to start a thread about negativity every day? Some think so. I guess it's easier than facing the reality of losing head on and perhaps a type of therapy for you in the way that sports talk radio is therapy for 40 year old toll booth workers that live in their mom's basement(funny movie).

But it's just the height of uncool behavior.

Fan on fan crime is perverse. There is no way most of you would walk up to fans debating the merits of moves made by the team in a tailgate party and go douche-a-rama like that. Sports are a past time that inspires debate, not a religion whose principles must be abided regardless of outcomes. Stop chasing fans around who don't share your optimism because there is not a single thing wrong with seeing 11 years of losing in a negative light.

Just curious and not attacking you as some have, but what about either of those two players makes you think they would end up being a better option at QB than Fitzpatrick?

You spend a lot of time highlighting Fitz's mediocrity as a reason the current Bills won't ever contend. I agree he's not an elite passer and almost definitely never will be. But Dalton and Kaepernick, despite coming from winning college programs, seem to have glaring weaknesses in their games.

Aaron Williams fills a more pressing need for the team, IMO. He will be able to contribute quicker than either of those two qbs. In my mind, the Bills made the right choice if they're trying to get better immediately, which should be their mentality.

Dalton seems very intelligent. He won a ton of games in college and the very next team in the draft thought he was worthy of being selected.

Kaepernick, I don't know much about other than what I saw at the combine. But many on this board and many of the 'experts' said he fit the type of QB that Gailey likes, so he seemed like a fit.

As far as Williams filling a bigger need, I would disagree. Starting QB is far more important than Nickel corner, IMO.

In all honesty, I get that there are eternal optimists. That's fine and a great way to be. But then there are people like yourself who masquerade as optimists but actually are just displacing their frustration onto other fans. Is it really necessary to start a thread about negativity every day? Some think so. I guess it's easier than facing the reality of losing head on and perhaps a type of therapy for you in the way that sports talk radio is therapy for 40 year old toll booth workers that live in their mom's basement(funny movie).

But it's just the height of uncool behavior.

Fan on fan crime is perverse. There is no way most of you would walk up to fans debating the merits of moves made by the team in a tailgate party and go douche-a-rama like that. Sports are a past time that inspires debate, not a religion whose principles must be abided regardless of outcomes. Stop chasing fans around who don't share your optimism because there is not a single thing wrong with seeing 11 years of losing in a negative light.

You're apparently another one with reading comprehension issues. I'll stand by my original post. If you think I'm "uncool" I guess I'll have to summon the strength to deal with it.

I would have liked Dalton or Kaepernick on Rd2 instead of a DB

My view concerning Dalton is that he's essentially a Fitz 2.0 -- no big arm, but smart as heck and a good leader. Why draft that guy when you've got a 27-year-old Fitz already here? The Bills are looking for the "10-12 year" guy.

Kaepernick is a project by almost everyone's evaluation. Again, does he have "future of the franchise" written all over him? You have a more than serviceable guy at the position now, and more pressing needs to address.

I'm interested in understanding your take on Fitz, since you clearly have no faith in him whatsoever.

You're apparently another one with reading comprehension issues. I'll stand by my original post. If you think I'm "uncool" I guess I'll have to summon the strength to deal with it.

Uncool was the optimistic way to characterize you. :)

Honestly, I know it's an open forum, which means any half-wit with an internet connection and a keyboard can speak his mind, but the gnashing of teeth over late round draft picks is both comical and embarrassing. We have supposedly "knowledgeable" football fans who can't understand how many defensive backs a team needs to go to training camp. We have folks apparently unwilling to accept that the Bills' front office didn't believe a developmental prospect at QB was more important than finding players who can contribute immediately. We have people who think two RBs are enough for an entire season. This stuff amazes me - particularly the "Joe Schmoe was sitting there in the 6th round; how did these idiots not take him?" nonsense.

The Bills just got a lot more talented and addressed a number of significant needs. They couldn't fix everything with nine draft picks, but we are in a heluva lot better shape than we were on Thursday afternoon. Did everyone suddenly forget that except for about three games, the talent-poor 2010 Bills were in a position to win every game if they make a few plays in the 4th quarter or OT?

I'm tired of the decade of losing as much (if not more) as anyone. I've only enjoyed approximately 40% of my Sundays over the last 12 years. But only the most pessimistic of fans would not be encouraged by what we're seeing out of the organization.

perfectly said eball.............go bills!!!

My view concerning Dalton is that he's essentially a Fitz 2.0 -- no big arm, but smart as heck and a good leader. Why draft that guy when you've got a 27-year-old Fitz already here? The Bills are looking for the "10-12 year" guy.

Kaepernick is a project by almost everyone's evaluation. Again, does he have "future of the franchise" written all over him? You have a more than serviceable guy at the position now, and more pressing needs to address.

I'm interested in understanding your take on Fitz, since you clearly have no faith in him whatsoever.

The comparison of Dalton and Fitz makes sense. Fitz's problems are accuracy and turning the ball over late in games. Dalton has better accuracy and performed extremely well late in games. I too see Dalton as Fitz 2.0. He is a younger, more accurate version of Fitz with more upside.

Dalton seems very intelligent. He won a ton of games in college and the very next team in the draft thought he was worthy of being selected.

Kaepernick, I don't know much about other than what I saw at the combine. But many on this board and many of the 'experts' said he fit the type of QB that Gailey likes, so he seemed like a fit.

As far as Williams filling a bigger need, I would disagree. Starting QB is far more important than Nickel corner, IMO.

Fitzpatrick is probably even more intelligent, with a better arm. I already stated I was aware both came from winning programs, which was a plus. Dalton didn't win those games on his own however. Just because Cincinnati picked him after us does not help your argument. It hurts it, actually. The Bengals (Mike Brown) aren't known for being very shrewd drafters (remember Andre Smith?), and their quarterback situation is in much more dire straits.

As far as the need argument, I suppose I should have used "pressing need" not "bigger need." Of course quarterback is the biggest need for any team as it's the most important position on the field. Buffalo simply didn't view either Dalton or Kaepernick as a significant upgrade over Fitzpatrick(and they know more than you). With that opinion, choosing either of those two wouldn't really be addressing that "need" now, would it?

So they passed on those QBs, and instead took a player that addressed a more pressing need in Williams. With so many DBs leaving or reaching the end of the line, the Bills had to find replacements for their secondary. No team is going to go far with street free agent cornerbacks. Defensive backs have high salaries relative to other positions for that reason - it's a important position and good talent is harder to find there.

The comparison of Dalton and Fitz makes sense. Fitz's problems are accuracy and turning the ball over late in games. Dalton has better accuracy and performed extremely well late in games. I too see Dalton as Fitz 2.0. He is a younger, more accurate version of Fitz with more upside.

Fair enough. I guess we have to assume Chan and Buddy think they can get what they need out of Fitz while they wait for the guy who really brings something special to the table.

Personally, I think Fitz will be even better this year than last. He's the unquestioned leader from day one, for the first time in his NFL career, and unlike several of our previously anointed QBs he actually seems ready to grab it by the horns and do something with it.

I agree with this completely. The picks we made are to replace current FA's not to add to the roster. This defense did not get better, just younger and cheaper.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Hear me out, if you please.

Of the Bills 5 CB, McGee and Florence are quality but over thirty (in a position that ages young).

Corner and Youboty are adequate, and could use upgrades. McKelvin shows promise but struggles with injuries.

I would like to see them resign Florence AND it will still be time to start grooming some young guns as replacements.

Of the Bills 5 safeties, Wilson and Scott are over thirty (in another position that ages young). Byrd showed promise a year ago but backslid this year.

Corto - I think could use at least competition. I'd like to see us re-sign Whitner, but I'm concerned that he won't be content with "good" money and is going for top-5 safety $$ his play for our team does not justify.

The way he back tackles and doesn't wrap drives me nuts and he can't seem to cover a TE with a blanket. It's not his fault - at 5'10" and 208 he was drafted to fit Jauron's "small nimble" mode and to play Tampa 2. He doesn't fit well with where Chix want to take us. I still would like to see us keep him, but not for top-5 $$ unless it's highly incentivized.

Even if we do resign Whitner, with two guys over 30 it legitimately is time to draft and start grooming a replacement.

Otherwise the Bills D will be like stuffing foam into a box, just when we get the run game stuffed the passing game jumps out to bite us.

And to the OP, I find you message to be pretty arrogant. Anybody who doesn't agree with your blind optimism and has the audacity to question the great and powerful Front Office is a "half wit with a keyboard". We get it, you'll find a way to love every move the Bills make and will scream at anyone who doesn't. Since the point of this board is to debate differing opinions, maybe it is you who should "piss off" if you don't like it.

Well, that's not how I read it. eball doesn't strike me as blindly optimistic or loving of every move the Bills make. It is nice to see points debated on reason and not just "oh no we drafted 3 DB the sky is falling gloom doom!"

Your mileage apparently varies, it's all good.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Hear me out, if you please.

Of the Bills 5 CB, McGee and Florence are quality but over thirty (in a position that ages young).

Corner and Youboty are adequate, and could use upgrades. McKelvin shows promise but struggles with injuries.

I would like to see them resign Florence AND it will still be time to start grooming some young guns as replacements.

Of the Bills 5 safeties, Wilson and Scott are over thirty (in another position that ages young). Byrd showed promise a year ago but backslid this year.

Corto - I think could use at least competition. I'd like to see us re-sign Whitner, but I'm concerned that he won't be content with "good" money and is going for top-5 safety $$ his play for our team does not justify.

The way he back tackles and doesn't wrap drives me nuts and he can't seem to cover a TE with a blanket. It's not his fault - at 5'10" and 208 he was drafted to fit Jauron's "small nimble" mode and to play Tampa 2. He doesn't fit well with where Chix want to take us. I still would like to see us keep him, but not for top-5 $$ unless it's highly incentivized.

Even if we do resign Whitner, with two guys over 30 it legitimately is time to draft and start grooming a replacement.

Otherwise the Bills D will be like stuffing foam into a box, just when we get the run game stuffed the passing game jumps out to bite us.

Well, that's not how I read it. eball doesn't strike me as blindly optimistic or loving of every move the Bills make. It is nice to see points debated on reason and not just "oh no we drafted 3 DB the sky is falling gloom doom!"

Your mileage apparently varies, it's all good.

Great points in the first part of your respone. That does make a lot of sense. I don't get the point you were making in the second response.

Great points in the first part of your respone. That does make a lot of sense. I don't get the point you were making in the second response.

Even more on our DBs, I just put together what I could see our Defensive roster looking like. Even if we do re-sign Whitner and Florence (which we should), we're still coming in with just enough DBs. Due to this draft, we also get to cut Kelsay, Maybin, and McCargo. Immediate improvements.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/129839-how-you-like-our-d-now/page__view__findpost__p__2155643

Let me know what you think...

Edited by DrDareustein

True that.

You cannot win championships without a great defense, good defenses put the ball in the hands of your offense more. If we didn't rank dead last at the end of last season, we were close to that in the time of possession battle. Teams could either slash our 32nd rank run defense, or if we did get them in 3rd and long we couldn't generate any pressure on opposing QBs to prevent completions. Shoring up the defense was priority one, and adding Dave Wannstedt gives a much needed infusion of experience, leadership, and knowledge that was lacking in our defensive schemes and execution.

How can you not get excited about a defensive line that has a rotation with Dareus, Kyle, Troup, and a potential monster in Jasper, with Carrington on the edge. Throw in a Moats blitz now and then and god forbid if (big IF I know) Merriman recovers some of his old form. The Bills have had some good fortune in the past with linebackers that were supposedly in the twilight of their careers: Spielman, Paup, and Spikes to name a few.

Studies have shown that reaching for a QB in the 1st round can set an organization back several years because the money that is tied up in the investment and the unwillingness of a franchise to give up on a failed prospect after so much investment. If the talent evaluators and the Bills staff did not see a QB worthy of the third pick, (we will not know for sure if they were sold on Newton till Gailey and Nix write some kind of autobiography - and does it really matter), then you grab the best player there. From what I have read, most folks that make their living ranking these prospects believe that Darius was the consensus #1 in this draft.

They will grab a FA tightend, and some UFAs that didn't get taken. As far as the O-line, LT Bell made strides while coming back from knee surgery, and I like Levitre where he was at home at LG (he is athletic enough to pull and get out there in space). I like Woods at Center, and that moves Hangartner to the right guard spots or as a serviceable backup to all three interior spots. I liked Urbik before the injury at right guard, we have some intriguing prospects and Wang learning the LT ropes year 2 sans hand injury. With their draft of Chris Hairston they have a really good chance to shore up that right tackle spot with a road grader who played with Spiller and can open holes.

Some pundits have Fitz running for his life this year, but if that line can stay in one piece for most of this year we have a good chance to run the ball. If the Bills can run the ball, Ryan will stay off the turf and will have a lot more options on 3rd and short. I like our young core of receivers and we have the potential receiving steal of the draft last year healthy and ready to compete for a spot.

Glass half full for me - I like what Buddy and Chan are doing. It makes good football sense to me, and if folks want to gripe and moan and blast this post about how real football men build a team, they could always go back to Marketing folks running the franchise.

:censored:

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

I think the problem isn't that people dislike 'contrary' opinions, but there's been a subset of posts that have cropped up on this board that are 'damned if they do, damned if they don't'. There's been a group of posters who will take the 'negative' side regardless of any move the Bills make. The Bills could trade Fitzpatrick for Peyton Manning and people would HOWL that it is setting the franchise back and is a glaring mistake.

In short, a contrary opinion is fine and often appreciated. It's what keeps thing moving along without a hundred /agree posts, but the outright blatant ridiculous negativity is old and uninteresting.

I want to see this same post put up in about 2 months when the season is officially at its lowest point and nothing is going on; it will garner no attention because the casual lurkers who object and make a fuss over this whole point will not be here...and there is something to be said about that...

Yeah I feel the same way. But as you said the ILB is a much safer bet than Mallet, so the Bills made the smart choice in my opinion. Even if Mallet turns into the next Brady, which I have the sinking feeling he could, nothing says he would have turned out the same on a team like Buffalo.

This was a great post. Few wanted Mallett as much as I did but I must admit, Bellichick is in a perfect position to read this kid the riot act.

He can bring him in his office and threaten him, and throw him off the team in a minute if he screws up. He isn't about to lose his job, and has won after getting rid of proven players, let alone a rookie with issues. Hell, he can drive him to a crack house and boot him out of the car if he so chooses.

Overall, this draft must be combined with the first to be properly assessed. I wanted them to get bigger on defense, and they did. Do I think they focused enough on blocking? No. Do I think that they should have taken McElroy as a backup when he was there in round 7 instead of a corner? Yes.

Now, I hope we get Kevin Boss and a decent backup QB in free agency.

Allow me to apologise to the OP if this qualifies as not thinking each and every move was perfect.

Edited by Bill from NYC

This was a great post. Few wanted Mallett as much as I did but I must admit, Bellichick is in a perfect position to read this kid the riot act.

He can bring him in his office and threaten him, and throw him off the team in a minute if he screws up. He isn't about to lose his job, and has won after getting rid of proven players, let alone a rookie with issues. Hell, he can drive him to a crack house and boot him out of the car if he so chooses.

Overall, this draft must be combined with the first to be properly assessed. I wanted them to get bigger on defense, and they did. Do I think they focused enough on blocking? No. Do I think that they should have taken McElroy as a backup when he was there in round 7 instead of a corner? Yes.

Allow me to apologise to the OP if this qualifies as not thinking each and every move was perfect.

I too would like to see Boss here - that would be a good solid pickup for this organization. Next year I am pretty sure we will see a QB taken, but they will need to find a few serviceable ones this year just to fill out the 2 backup positions.

I rate Fitz as an above average QB, if you build a great defense around an above average QB an organization can make some noise. That, and there were a few hall-of-fame QBs last year that had better supporting casts, but put up worse stats than Fitz. Fitz's problems have always been consistency... he can rifle a pass and thread it between 3 defenders, or he can completely overthrow a wide-open receiver. Not sure if those are bad throws on his part or bad routes by a bunch of rookie receivers thrown into action last year.

We will find out more this year.

I think the problem isn't that people dislike 'contrary' opinions, but there's been a subset of posts that have cropped up on this board that are 'damned if they do, damned if they don't'. There's been a group of posters who will take the 'negative' side regardless of any move the Bills make. The Bills could trade Fitzpatrick for Peyton Manning and people would HOWL that it is setting the franchise back and is a glaring mistake.

In short, a contrary opinion is fine and often appreciated. It's what keeps thing moving along without a hundred /agree posts, but the outright blatant ridiculous negativity is old and uninteresting.

bingo. :worthy:

Thank you Eball. I'm a 52 year old Bills fan that went to UB, grew up in Jamestown NY but moved to NJ to get a job and feed my family. I get so tired of reading the negative crap all of the time. I wish the Bills were always in the Super Bowl like the old days but... I still route for them every week ( Sunday Ticket).. I always appreciate reading comments from all of you Bills fans.

I coach high school football here in NJ so I actually have a clue. I really believe that Buddy and Chan know what it takes to get to the next level. I hope I'm right. Whatever happens.. I'll always love the Bills!!

Damn, Bill, you're better than that, and you've read enough of my posts to know that's not my point at all.

I, too, hope the Bills continue to address their additional needs.

-Any card carrying Bills fan has the right to be negative after the horriffic streak of bad drafts, coaches, GM's and ownership decisions since the glory days.

-This is EXACTLY the place for them to vent/discuss their viewpoints regardless if anyone else deems it unworthy.

-They have the right to read only if thats what they choose or post as much as they want. How exactly would that make their opinion worse than someone with 2000 posts?

-I havent seen a single thread pre-draft that came close to alluding to our needing to use this draft to overhaul the D-Backfield. All the talk was front 7. Now its genius and those that do not think so are dim-wits??

-Most (if not all) of the threads and mocks included players from everyones agreed upon areas of needs(DB's way down on that list if not the bottom) ....and we had a chance to get several of them. We did not.

-In the eyes of the long suffering fan: drafting DB's in the early rounds, opting not to choose the consensus best at a position for the "sleeper" that was further down on the rankings, passing on certain players we all have a feeling are going to be studs one day...for DB's...Looks and smells like same ol' same ol'

-This regime has so far underwhelmed with last years draft where they spent the #9 pick on the position of least need.

-I don't know of any fan base that rally's around a 4 year plan happily when all the short-term signs point to the same garbage they have lived with all along.

Yet there are those that will continue to jam the square peg of this draft (rd 2-7) into the round hole of blind optimism and chastise those who just can't see it that way. Every move is brilliant and just what we wanted to do/needed. The scientists in the FO are at work and us lowly fans that do not agree with their decisions do not have enough knowledge and should be cleansed from this pristine environment of blowing positive smoke up each others a$$es. Suddenly this franchise that goes after mediocre and cheap free agents are going to get Boss or Z. Miller....or Claybo at RT. Oh yeah, simple and turnkey....get Boss....fill need. Thats the Bills. lol.

I get it....there is a long term plan and a bigger picture but until that takes shape in a more defined way, the majority of Bills fans have EVERY RIGHT to remain unconvinced. Til then, a 4-12 team with the worst run D in the league, a questionnable OL that nearly got their QB killed, a need at TE and a need for a QB of the future opted not to draft the best help possible (aside from Dareus).

It's the team's job to change the minds of the fans guys. Til then, those that remain unconvinced should be free to express whatever they wish. Congrats to the optimists...I hope you're right. I really do.

Couldn't agree more

Can you have it both ways? Is it OK to mock the organization with a nickname that reminds fans of yet another player who was overdrafted by the front office and was a complete bust? Funny nickname, but I don't see optimism there.

I agree that starting QB is far more important than nickel corner. The Bills have a starting QB. His name is Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's not their franchise QB, but he's widely recognized as servicable, with an outside chance of becoming very good.

So the Bills lack that "awcrap!" factor in using a draft pick on another servicable QB with an outside chance of becoming very good.

The Cincinnati Bengals, who drafted Dalton, have a starting QB named Palmer who has stated he will retire unless he's traded. Apparently Jordan Palmer and Dan LeFavour haven't shown enough to spare the Bengals that "awcrap!" factor if Palmer carries out his threat. So Dalton, a potential servicable QB with an outside chance of becoming a "Franchise Guy", fills a bigger need for the Bengals than he fills for the Bills.

I don't think that means Dalton wasn't on the Bills board, and probably just about that spot: Rick Gosselin's Top 100 Picks (I link it because it is said to bear an uncanny resemblance to the boards of many NFL teams :devil:)

Williams was apparently seen as a late-1st round talent by many. I think the Bills probably had him higher than Dalton, thought he might be gone at the end of the 1st or taken by NE. When NE liked a lower ranked CB, it was a no brainer pick for the Bills because CB DOES have that immediate "awcrap!" element for the Bills - if they fail to resign both Florence and Whitner, they ARE going to be going "awcrap!" this year when the inevitable injuries strike.

SF and Kaepernick is interesting. Harbaugh marches to his own drummer when it comes to QB. Gosselin shows Kaepernick way lower - down at 63. Did the Bills think they would get him in the 3rd round (where they picked at 68)?

Alex Smith is a free agent and does not, for a 2005 #1 draft pick, have the same confidence level from his team that Fitzpatrick (2005 #7) currently enjoys. So QB has that "awcrap!" factor for them. If Smith isn't resigned, who is their QB?

Did SF expect to draft Dalton? Did they freak and reach for Kaepernick after Dalton was drafted? Or did Harbaugh simply have Kaepernick much higher on SF board? But again, SF does not have a sure-thing serviceable QB, so clearly a bigger need.

-Any card carrying Bills fan has the right to be negative after the horriffic streak of bad drafts, coaches, GM's and ownership decisions since the glory days.

-This is EXACTLY the place for them to vent/discuss their viewpoints regardless if anyone else deems it unworthy.

-They have the right to read only if thats what they choose or post as much as they want. How exactly would that make their opinion worse than someone with 2000 posts?

-I havent seen a single thread pre-draft that came close to alluding to our needing to use this draft to overhaul the D-Backfield. All the talk was front 7. Now its genius and those that do not think so are dim-wits??

-Most (if not all) of the threads and mocks included players from everyones agreed upon areas of needs(DB's way down on that list if not the bottom) ....and we had a chance to get several of them. We did not.

-In the eyes of the long suffering fan: drafting DB's in the early rounds, opting not to choose the consensus best at a position for the "sleeper" that was further down on the rankings, passing on certain players we all have a feeling are going to be studs one day...for DB's...Looks and smells like same ol' same ol'

-This regime has so far underwhelmed with last years draft where they spent the #9 pick on the position of least need.

-I don't know of any fan base that rally's around a 4 year plan happily when all the short-term signs point to the same garbage they have lived with all along.

Yet there are those that will continue to jam the square peg of this draft (rd 2-7) into the round hole of blind optimism and chastise those who just can't see it that way. Every move is brilliant and just what we wanted to do/needed. The scientists in the FO are at work and us lowly fans that do not agree with their decisions do not have enough knowledge and should be cleansed from this pristine environment of blowing positive smoke up each others a$$es. Suddenly this franchise that goes after mediocre and cheap free agents are going to get Boss or Z. Miller....or Claybo at RT. Oh yeah, simple and turnkey....get Boss....fill need. Thats the Bills. lol.

I get it....there is a long term plan and a bigger picture but until that takes shape in a more defined way, the majority of Bills fans have EVERY RIGHT to remain unconvinced. Til then, a 4-12 team with the worst run D in the league, a questionnable OL that nearly got their QB killed, a need at TE and a need for a QB of the future opted not to draft the best help possible (aside from Dareus).

It's the team's job to change the minds of the fans guys. Til then, those that remain unconvinced should be free to express whatever they wish. Congrats to the optimists...I hope you're right. I really do.

Excellent post

Can you have it both ways? Is it OK to mock the organization with a nickname that reminds fans of yet another player who was overdrafted by the front office and was a complete bust? Funny nickname, but I don't see optimism there.

Personally, I don't see how this draft and a player that beat Tim Krumrie in a wrestling match are related

It is hard to read this board at times, though others like Bills Zone can be even worse when it comes to negativity. I have been part of TBD since 1998 and have seen the same stupid stuff written over and over, often by the same people. We get it, the team sucks! So why are you still here?

PTR

LoL. Ya, being a critic is the easiest job in the world. Hopefully the Bills will be much improved next season . . .

This message board can have whatever consensus it wants, but you have to believe the coaches and front office have a better idea of this football team's needs than fans with -in all honesty - limited football knowledge. Clearly they have been wrong in the past, but despite that they still have more access than we do.

And no matter how much we agree on prospects, I certainly hope my team tries to subscribe more closely to the BPA theory rather than drafting strictly for need, which has gotten us into the position we're in now.

Bill,

If you take a look at Nix's history while working within the Chargers organization you could have seen this coming. Even if you wouldn't want to give him credit for making the draft picks or FA signings, the Chargers built their current line trading for re-treads, signing vets that might be serviceable and drafting mid to late round guys that they'd try and develop. In fact, even after they had Brees and Rivers, they continually drafted dbs and linebackers or 5 technique defensive ends high. McNeil was a second round pick 2 years after they drafted Rivers. Kris Dielman was a UDFA that played Defensive tackle in college.

As you said, it takes looking at Nix's drafts here to appreciate the work he's putting into it. But I'd also go one step farther and look at the pick ups he made mid-season last year, as well as whatever he does when they get a chance to sign people. I can almost guarantee they'll sign a few ex-Chargers at weak spots, as well as continually look to turn over the bottom to middle of our roster. I don't think every move is perfect, but the blueprint has worked and will work again.

Edited by LynchMob23

You contradict yourself pretty badly here. You are saying that the picking of Stafford didn't help the Lions because they drafted again #1 the next year, yet the Rams picked OL and DL for multiple years and they ended up #1 overall to pick their franchise QB. The Rams had just lost a very good QB (Bulger) before they went out and drafted Bradford, so they already had someone in place when drafting those linemen. What this all proves is that theres no right or wrong way to draft, and its all about getting the best players. And Stafford didn't just get injured cause of a bad line, he has had history of injuries

Well, I don't think I contradict myself at all. The key is to understand that football success will only come when all the pieces of the team are in place.

That can happen a bunch of ways.

A. You can see someone you think is "The Man", snap him up, then fill in the pieces on D and the lines (Lions)

B. Or, you can fill in the pieces first, then go for the QB (Rams)

Either way, you won't improve until you have the Whole Enchilada, the whole team.

You may well be correct that Stafford didn't just get injured because of a bad line, but his line didn't help protect the Lions investment and keep him healthy.

One minor correction: the Rams had not "just lost a very good QB before they went out and drafted Bradford". They released Bulger just before the draft.

Bulger had been a very good QB in his day. At the point where the Rams released him, he had lost his starting role to Green in 2008 and gone on IR in 2009.

He had thrown more INTs than TDs in 2007 and 2008, was on track for the same in 2009. He had QB ratings in the 70's for 2007-2009

He was one beaten-up abused dude, having been sacked an incredible 49, 37, and 38 times in 2006-2008 and was a shadow of his former great self.

Facts. I blame Mad Martz for ruining both Warner and Bulger, but that's another story. (BTW I live in St Louis).

The Rams had both Bulger and "servicable veteran" Trent Green on the roster, and it may be a point that the presence of two "serviceable" QB led them to adopt Strategy B.

Or, that may have been a philosophical choice - dunno, and don't know anyone to ask who would know.

I'm an optimist & I apply that to all things in my life. With that attitude I have gotten very far & I'm very happy where my life is. The Bills have been my passion since my mom took me & my brother on the Metro for the AFC cha Paul ship game against the Chiefs.

No matter where I go, I make sure I wear some Bulls gear. It represents how proud I am of my hometown & how much the Bills mean to me. No matter how silly it, the NFL is one of the biggest business in this country & Buffalo is one of 32 cities that are represented. So for me to spend my precious free time whining about it on a message board doesn't make sense to me.

I like what we did in this draft. We got big. I would have like a qb to learn under Fitz but none of these guys were sure shots to make it. Bottom-line is I'm going to enjoy the rest of the offseason & look forward to another season that hopefully ends our playoff drought. It might not happen but I damn sure will have a good time rooting for it.

Go Bills & go Buffalo!!

:thumbsup:

Please read the original post again. Reading comprehension is a missing component of too many people on this board.