It's pretty embarrassing, reading this board sometimes...

Honestly, I know it's an open forum, which means any half-wit with an internet connection and a keyboard can speak his mind, but the gnashing of teeth over late round draft picks is both comical and embarrassing. We have supposedly "knowledgeable" football fans who can't understand how many defensive backs a team needs to go to training camp. We have folks apparently unwilling to accept that the Bills' front office didn't believe a developmental prospect at QB was more important than finding players who can contribute immediately. We have people who think two RBs are enough for an entire season. This stuff amazes me - particularly the "Joe Schmoe was sitting there in the 6th round; how did these idiots not take him?" nonsense.

The Bills just got a lot more talented and addressed a number of significant needs. They couldn't fix everything with nine draft picks, but we are in a heluva lot better shape than we were on Thursday afternoon. Did everyone suddenly forget that except for about three games, the talent-poor 2010 Bills were in a position to win every game if they make a few plays in the 4th quarter or OT?

I'm tired of the decade of losing as much (if not more) as anyone. I've only enjoyed approximately 40% of my Sundays over the last 12 years. But only the most pessimistic of fans would not be encouraged by what we're seeing out of the organization.

If I'm too "optimistic" for your liking...well, then, kiss off. :P

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is hard to read this board at times, though others like Bills Zone can be even worse when it comes to negativity. I have been part of TBD since 1998 and have seen the same stupid stuff written over and over, often by the same people. We get it, the team sucks! So why are you still here?

PTR

Honestly, I know it's an open forum, which means any half-wit with an internet connection and a keyboard can speak his mind, but the gnashing of teeth over late round draft picks is both comical and embarrassing. We have supposedly "knowledgeable" football fans who can't understand how many defensive backs a team needs to go to training camp. We have folks apparently unwilling to accept that the Bills' front office didn't believe a developmental prospect at QB was more important than finding players who can contribute immediately. We have people who think two RBs are enough for an entire season. This stuff amazes me - particularly the "Joe Schmoe was sitting there in the 6th round; how did these idiots not take him?" nonsense.

The Bills just got a lot more talented and addressed a number of significant needs. They couldn't fix everything with nine draft picks, but we are in a heluva lot better shape than we were on Thursday afternoon. Did everyone suddenly forget that except for about three games, the talent-poor 2010 Bills were in a position to win every game if they make a few plays in the 4th quarter or OT?

I'm tired of the decade of losing as much (if not more) as anyone. I've only enjoyed approximately 40% of my Sundays over the last 12 years. But only the most pessimistic of fans would not be encouraged by what we're seeing out of the organization.

I completely agree. I'm so glad that Nix & Gailey are doing more to remove the team from the weak, Tampon 2 defense to a much bigger, physical 3-4 defense. The only thing the Tampon 2 was good for, was a good secondary, the run defense and pass rush sucked big time. I think this draft really shored up the defense.

+1

When was the last time you saw the Bills run a successful safety blitz? When was the last time you saw a Bills DB really STUFF a TE, or even successfully defend one in the end zone?

They must have-maybe I just can't remember it?

The thing is, our DB, while talented, were drafted in the Jauron/Levy light/nimble mold. They love to back-tackle. I freakin' cheer when I see someone keep his head up and wrap. We need more physical DB who are actually feared when they safety-blitz and who CAN stuff a TE or defend one in the end zone. Williams, by his reviews, sounds to be in that mould.

I don't get the fans who think we can add MagicalFranchiseQB and automagically transform into a competitive team. That worked so well for Detroit 2 years ago when they drafted Stafford? Worked so well that that they were back at #1 in 2010 to pick Suh? and that Stafford got injured behind his cruddy line? People point to the Rams all the time, ignoring that the Rams drafted high on D and on OL for several years before they drafted Bradford, and were in the 2nd year with a new coach last year.

Then there's the 'expertise factor'. Now granted, at times in the Bills history, the team arguably would have been better off just drafting whomever the pundits had flagged as BPA. But we do have some reasonable football guys in there now making decisions. They get to spend their lives watching tape, working with players, see them in practice. Unless everyone here is actually professionally involved with football, we all spend most of our lives in other pursuits. So where do we get off foaming at the mouth and dissing the evaluations of people who do this for a living?

OK I'm done.

Another appearance by the thought police. :rolleyes:

Dude. He told you what he thinks of what you think.

If you object to that....ain't YOU the thought police?

It is hard to read this board at times, though others like Bills Zone can be even worse when it comes to negativity. I have been part of TBD since 1998 and have seen the same stupid stuff written over and over, often by the same people. We get it, the team sucks! So why are you still here?

PTR

+1

PTR

Bills Zone zombies worship Pat Moran, how much more ignorant can it be from there on out ?

Nice. Now if only this thread doesn't get hijacked by the ones you speak of.

I didn't tell you what to think. I told you what I thought of what you think. Pay attention.

lmao!...good comeback 8ball,er..eball.

People have the right to have and express their own opinions, whether the OP or anyone else agrees with those opinions or not. That being said I personally don't understand how anyone could call this a bad draft. One of the Bills biggest weaknesses in my opinion is how small they are, particularly on defense. I know that was on purpose, but I would like to think by now that everyone would agree that experiment failed. The D clearly got more talented and bigger this draft and that can only be a good thing in the long run.

Will they make the playoffs this year? I highly doubt it. The defense will be better but still not great, and the offense is basically the same as it was last season. And that is not nearly enough to lift a 4-12 team to the playoffs ... at least not in the AFC east. But I think they are headed in the right direction and that this draft is leaps and bounds better than last years.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Honestly, I know it's an open forum, which means any half-wit with an internet connection and a keyboard can speak his mind, but the gnashing of teeth over late round draft picks is both comical and embarrassing. We have supposedly "knowledgeable" football fans who can't understand how many defensive backs a team needs to go to training camp. We have folks apparently unwilling to accept that the Bills' front office didn't believe a developmental prospect at QB was more important than finding players who can contribute immediately. We have people who think two RBs are enough for an entire season. This stuff amazes me - particularly the "Joe Schmoe was sitting there in the 6th round; how did these idiots not take him?" nonsense. The Bills just got a lot more talented and addressed a number of significant needs. They couldn't fix everything with nine draft picks, but we are in a heluva lot better shape than we were on Thursday afternoon. Did everyone suddenly forget that except for about three games, the talent-poor 2010 Bills were in a position to win every game if they make a few plays in the 4th quarter or OT?

For the ones that did study the "Joe Schmoe" that we passed on in the 6th, get a life and just watch the game... :ph34r:

I couldn't agree with you more...makes you wonder if half of the people who post on this site actually even like the bills. what is even more embarrassing to me is the way some fans treat the players of this team.

We are supposed to be fans, to pump the players up,make the ralph a nightmare to play in. not burning players lawns (mckelvin), attacking them on twitter (donte)- i understand if you don't like him as a player, and it's his own fault for twittering but some of the things people say go too far. as a fan, i like that players tweet and keep us informed, and i guarantee you many of them read this board. I keep hearing bills have the best fans, i hope we keep it that way and not turn into those di#@head fans at Philly!!!

sorry for that tangent...i feel better! back to your origonal point about drafting a RB and CBs. i agree with you and here is why:

RB- in case anyone forgot....both lynch and jackson were hurt for the first few games of the season last year. we need someone at RB if that happens again...PS- i like the idea someone posted about putting our new 400lb nose tackle in as a short down RB.

CB- we need big cbs to cover the braylon edwards sized receivers

Amen!

Awesome post man. I get accused by my firends of being too optimistic a Bills fan all the time. I agree 100% that the new regime is going for big & physical. Seems to work w/ the Steelers (Whalen?) Really though, what do you expect? Have you been to a Bills game and tailgated in the main lot? It's not exactly a MENSA gathering.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

All I know is that this draft really puts in perspective last years draft. This just might be the year that our defense starts pushing people backwards for a change. One thing that I have noticed over the years is that any line, O or D, that gets knocked off the ball most of the time will ultimately fall to injury. When huge strong men are being physically overmatched while being driven backwards, muscles, tendons, and cartilage really get torn up. But when you see a unit imposing their will, they generally stay healthier through the season. How many times have we watched one of our lineman go down because the overmatched guy next to him fell into his legs. Straight dominoes gentlemen.