Glaring weaknesses addressed, glaring holes remain

There were only 9 picks, ya know.

I get the Bills needed upgrades on the defensive side and only time will tell the success or failure of this draft. Surely the potential is there for this draft to bear some fruit for years to come. However, choosing not to pick an impact TE, an LT or QB tells me that the Bills are either happy with their mediocre-at-best offense or that they have FA plans yet to play out. I get that you can't fill all the holes at once, but completely ignoring the offensive side of the ball is a head-scratcher to me. For God's sake, will we ever replace Jim Kelly or have a TE who can scare the other team?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the Bills needed upgrades on the defensive side and only time will tell the success or failure of this draft. Surely the potential is there for this draft to bear some fruit for years to come. However, choosing not to pick an impact TE, an LT or QB tells me that the Bills are either happy with their mediocre-at-best offense or that they have FA plans yet to play out. I get that you can't fill all the holes at once, but completely ignoring the offensive side of the ball is a head-scratcher to me. For God's sake, will we ever replace Jim Kelly or have a TE who can scare the other team?

If there's anyone at all there, I'd be surprised if our 1st round pick next year isn't a QB. They appear to be following the Rams-type rebuild model, fix the D and the lines first, then get the QB.

I'll be very disappointed if we don't pick up a FA OT and TE.

Not necessarily a LT - good ones typically are hard to pick up, and I perceive RT as the greater need. I think they felt Bell was "OK" and he'll get another year there.

I think Bell will will be fine at LT (the needs on defense were much much much higher than drafting a noobie LT)

TE doesn't seem to be an important part of Gaiey's offense anyway. No worries there.

I'm more concerned about not having a "good" backup QB - if Fitz goes down who is going to take over, Brown? I hope they pick up a decent FA 2nd string QB.

That is very worrisome.

How many good teams don't make TE an important part of their offense? I say that not having a TE to worry about makes defending an offense a lot easier. The fact that Chan Gailey doesn't think the TE is that important does not make Chan Gailey a smart coach.

Most of the time teams that make TE's an important part of the offense don't have extremely strong WR's. Think about the teams with really good TE's - typically their WR's aren't great.

The bills have stacked talent at WR - therefore, the TE will be used primarily as a blocker rather than a pass catcher.

THere is a major problem with your interpretation. We are drafting people not positions. You say that we didn't get aTE,LT, or QB. Well that is some ambiguous nonsense. Which specific players did you want to fill these needs and when in the draft in hindsight would you have taken them at the expense of something else. Your assumption that they may not have a plan going into free agency is ridiculous.

One thing that i thought was the head scratcher was with the pick in round 3 with Martez Wilson still on the board (ranked the highest LB) why they took sheppard over him , i would like to here that explanation ?? As i said earlier they are the football guys i'm just a fan !!!

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the logical explanation is because they worked with sheppard at the Sr. Bowl, so they know what they're getting and like it.

And, a lot of other teams passed on Wilson when he was still sitting there -- just have to trust they know more about football players than we do.

And, just when I say that, two aweful words come to my head: "Aaron Maybin."

No, we won't get our next Jim Kelly this year, simply because he was not in this year's draft. Gailey probably was only targeting Newton if he took a QB that high and the ones left were no upgrade to a young Fitzpatrick whom the team seems to be well behind. Why waste a pick on QB if you're gonna have to draft another one next year? Besides, it's not like either of them would play this year anyways.

As for TEs, I think we will address in FA. I am thinking Kevin Boss. Time will tell.

POW!!!!

I think the Bills have too many good recievers to keep off the field with a TE. I know that it helps with the block and run game, and i cant' argue with that (one of our biggest weaknesses). But I also think that having 3 big wide recievers (stevie, david nelsone, and hopefully easley all over 6ft)and Lee Evans down field threat creates alot of mismatches. my hope is that shawn nelson (TE) spent the year bulking up and learning how to block. he is a serious downfield threat for a TE, fast as a reciever, just never had to block in college. hopefully those "phantom migranes" were just a ploy to hide him on IR while they focus on bringing him up to speed with his blocking and strength training.

What impact QB or TE was available in this draft? This was a weak draft for both. As for LT, they are sticking with Bell.

I agree. They didnt feel there was a QB worth taking in this draft (so there were no Jim Kellys in this years draft) and they said that when their picks came up the TE or TEs they liked were off the board so it didnt work out. I'm very very glad they didnt reach on either position....

How many good teams don't make TE an important part of their offense? I say that not having a TE to worry about makes defending an offense a lot easier. The fact that Chan Gailey doesn't think the TE is that important does not make Chan Gailey a smart coach.

LOL you don't think chan gailey is a smart coach? :wallbash:

In a year where the QB class was very suspect & possibly weak in a lot of ways why would you take one ? Especially if you didn't think they are worth the pick !!

We did draft a player that is a very big Offensive left tackle from Clemson a 3 year starter at the position , i'm not real sure of the RB pick but i;ll give Nix & company the benefit of that one after all they are the ones that do this for a living not me !!

So offense wasn't completely ignored they just paid more attention to D this year as it should have been !!

That is our biggest weakness !!

One thing that i thought was the head scratcher was with the pick in round 3 with Martez Wilson still on the board (ranked the highest LB) why they took sheppard over him , i would like to here that explanation ?? As i said earlier they are the football guys i'm just a fan !!!

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the explanation would go something like this: "We think that Kelvin Sheppard is a better ILB than Martez Wilson

for the type of defense that we plan to run. We like his attitude, physical skills and his production. We got a first-hand

look at the guy at work for a full week in the Senior Bowl practices and games and are very comfortable with our

evaluation of him."

Lots of glare huh? Can't address all the holes.

1. There really were no impact TE's in this draft. The top TE got away but I would rather have Sheppard at ILB than a TE. We really need help at ILB.

2. If they picked a top QB or a top Tackle then they would not have Dareus. Your choice --- Dareus or Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Solder, Costanzo. I think they made the best pick possible at #3. No issue there. None of the guys named were there at 34.

3. At # 34 there were a few RTs that really may be no better than the guy we got in the fourth round. We picked a top rated DB instead that can play corner or nickel or safety. He will be on the field right away. I think they did great.

Still ... it is going to take a few more drafts to put this team in the upper echelon. As you correctly stated, there are many needs.

Edited by Bob in STL

.. we will be replacing Kelly in next year's draft with the 1st overall pick

Lots of glare huh? Can't address all the holes.

1. There really were no impact TE's in this draft. The top TE got away but I would rather have Sheppard at ILB than a TE. We really need help at ILB.

2. If they picked a top QB or a top Tackle then they would not have Dareus. Your choice --- Dareus or Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Solder, Costanzo. I think they made the best pick possible at #3. No issue there. None of the guys named were there at 34.

3. At # 34 there were a few RTs that really may be no better than the guy we got in the fourth round. We picked a top rated DB instead that can play corner or nickel or safety. He will be on the field right away. I think they did great.

Still ... it is going to take a few more drafts to put this team in the upper echelon. As you correctly stated, there are many needs.

Rudolph needed hamstring surgery and played in only 6 games last season (he missed 3 games as a sophomore). Moreover, he's not a good blocker. I'd only advocate taking a guy who is a great pass-catcher and blocker that high, and Rudolph is neither, much less both. Besides, there are several dual-threat TE's in FA, and if you really need a pass-catching TE, Greg Olsen is probably still available for trade.

I liked this draft, but I think we could have used one less DB pick and grabbed another OL prospect, or a TE. Given the propensity for linemen to start dropping like flies around October in Orchard Park, adding quality depth and high-potential players for the future would have been nice. I sure hope they make some noteworthy additions once FA is in play.

I do think their attention to the front seven will make the current crop of DBs look better, hence my opinion that they could have allocated one less pick to that part of the field.

Perhaps David Nelson is being looked at as a pass-catching TE type, as some have suggested. I don't think he has the body for it at all, but it would be a way to get more of these receivers on the field. I wish Shawn Nelson were going to be what we imagined he'd be, but it seems unlikely given his migraine troubles and other injuries.

Fair enough, but swapping out one pick on day 3 doesn't change the look of the draft that much. For all we know they intended to do what you suggest but either had a guy they targeted taken ahead of them or decided a guy like Searcy was too good to pass up. I don't know squat about anyone drafted on Day 3 so I'll have to trust the guys making the picks.

My guess is they included DBs in their thinking about addressing the run game and that's why we saw some bigger guys taken in the secondary.

There still exists glaring weakness in the Linebacking Core. Poz needs to be resigned and there still needs to be another MLB added to the mix as Davis is old and Sheppard is just a rookie. Also there still needs to be another OLB added to the mix Merriman is often injured, Kelsay sucks, and Moats is the only real reliable OLB on this team.

This team needs 2 quality back up LB's added to the roster AND they need to resign Poz. D-line seems to be set (Although a backup DE wouldn't be a bad pick up just for depth). The secondary also seems set. But the D is far from a finished product it is severely short on LB's.

Offensively there are some holes as well. RT and Tight end seem to be the major one. Throw in that if Evans isn't what he once was WR might be an area of concern. Sill if the O-line can gel and the young WR core can supplement Stevie and Lee the O can be a solid NFL offense.

I didn't like any of the QBs, so I didn't mind not reaching for one this year. The lack of any proven OTs or TEs worries me & makes me realize that Nix & Gailey are working on a 3 year plan towards respectibility and this is only year 2.

There still exists glaring weakness in the Linebacking Core. Poz needs to be resigned and there still needs to be another MLB added to the mix as Davis is old and Sheppard is just a rookie. Also there still needs to be another OLB added to the mix Merriman is often injured, Kelsay sucks, and Moats is the only real reliable OLB on this team.

This team needs 2 quality back up LB's added to the roster AND they need to resign Poz. D-line seems to be set (Although a backup DE wouldn't be a bad pick up just for depth). The secondary also seems set. But the D is far from a finished product it is severely short on LB's.

Offensively there are some holes as well. RT and Tight end seem to be the major one. Throw in that if Evans isn't what he once was WR might be an area of concern. Sill if the O-line can gel and the young WR core can supplement Stevie and Lee the O can be a solid NFL offense.

True. Usually when you are picking in the Top 5 of the draft, your team has more holes than actual good players. We had 9 picks. I think it's safe to say we're much farther away from a Super Bowl than 9 guys. But I also think we used those 9 picks to address certain major needs wisely. We'll see what the FO does as we move forward with the building process.

Rudolph has great hands and I am a big fan and would have loved to see him on the Bills.

Reality: Rudolph has health concerns as he tore his hamstraing from the bone last year along with the injuries from the prior year. He is not a blocker at this point.

I think Buddy and Chan figured this was a Free Agency position where one addtional tight end can supplement or replace Chandler, Stupar and Nelson.

Roscoe will get all the short passes a tight end might get. I'm ok with that.