RichardBag

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's you can't tip your hand, man. As in, don't hold your hand of cards

so that others can see them. Tipping your hat is a polite gesture.

Yeah but when you tip your hat it's in your hand. So you can tip your hat and show your cards but be polite about it. :w00t:

Edited by MikeSpeed

Could this all just be a giant ruse on the part of Chan & Buddy. We all know Chan just loves Fitz. Buddy knows he needs picks so he can keep rebuilding. Could they just be setting a sucker up for picks?

Occam's razor (a principle that suggests we should tend towards simpler theories until we can trade some simplicity for increased explanatory power) says they are considering Newton.

My personal opinion is all this talk of smokescreens is a bit beyond Buddy and Chan.

It's almost a universal truth that the B B's need linemen (or even linewomen, if they're better than the current bunch....). Once the basic building blocks are in place, all else will flow. Why one even considers taking a QB at #3 is just beyond me.

I know if I intended on drafting a franchise QB in round 1 I would fully evaluate all potential options. The difference being I would take the one I want you to think I am drafting to dinner very publicly the night before his pro day. The one I am leaning toward I would be meeting with via site visit to Buffalo and low key meetings at pro day.

It's almost a universal truth that the B B's need linemen (or even linewomen, if they're better than the current bunch....). Once the basic building blocks are in place, all else will flow. Why one even considers taking a QB at #3 is just beyond me.

I agree but QB> CB just please no more DB's. It'll feel like Detroit with all those dam Wr's

Edited by qwksilver

Glad to see he looked good.

Even if the Bills don't take him, I hope he works out for the league, as he'll be exciting to watch.

Me too, as long as he doesnt go to Miami. I liked that Tebow ended up in Denver because I can safely cheer on the Broncos for the most part. Hopefully, if we dont pick Cam, he ends up in the NFC.

Didn't Jimbo have dinner with Tim Tebow last year? The speculation was rampant that the Bills would draft him, but as luck turned out he was taken by Denver.

took Tebow out to dinner last year so we wont be picking Newty :nana:

Yes, but the Bills tried desperately to trade up for Tebow, in the end they weren’t willing to give up as much as Denver. So by that line of thinking, yes, they really do want Newton.

Gailey’s comments about “being ahead of the curve” in regard to mobile/spread QBs in the NFL is really quite telling. *I fully believe he wants to run a college spread offense.* That would explain why they drafted Spiller and ditched Lynch. It would be extremely risky but I would love the experiment. I just enjoy games when running QBs are in there, that’s one reason why I like college better than the NFL. Watching Tebow play at the end of last year was very exciting. VYs rookie year was awesome. I just hate it when teams draft a guy like VY or Newton or Tebow, and then try to turn them into a pocket passer. You didn’t draft him because of his pocket-passer skills, so let him run around and make plays. Design an offense for your unique weapon – don’t force him into a mold he doesn’t fit into. Take Newton only if you are going to run the spread and give him 10-12 designed QB runs per game.

*IF* that’s what Gaileys plan is then I would be fine with us drafting Newton, if not, then pass. Why draft him if you want him to stand in the pocket? That takes all of his skills away from him. Design an offense specifically around Newton, that’s the only way to make him successful.

Yeah, because DT/DEs are the safest pick in the draft...

This year that is the case.

I think the Bills should definitely take a QB if they think he's a true blue chip player. I mean, that's a crushingly obvious decision to make. You can't win in the NFL consistently without a good QB. However, I suspect that Newton will go #1 overall. This happens nearly every year - people raise doubts about a top QB, but at the end of the day the QB is always drafted near the top of the draft.

Just look at the history. In the past ten years, 8 of the ten first overall picks have been QBs. In the two years that they weren't, a QB went at the #3 spot.

This year won't be any different.

Successful "Franchise QB's" come along one per draft year on average, is missing out more painful than having a bust?

It's far worse, because if you don't have one, you won't get anywhere. And if you don't gamble, you'll never get one.

Its the main story on Buffalo Rumblings. Cant say Im too happy about it, I think he is gonna bust, but at least it would be more entertaining. Id like to see what Gailey dreams up with this HB/QB hybrid. I think its very likely that we take Newton, because the Bills clearly went after Tebow hard last year and with Gaileys comments, I think he wants to run a full-bore college spread offense.

A few questions on your post:

1) Is "Buffalo Rumblings" the authority on mock drafts?

2) Why do you think he will "bust"?

3) I heard on ESPN radio that Nix only "took Newton to dinner." I heard nothing about a "meeting with Newton and his agents."

4) How do you know the Bills "went after Tebow hard" last year? Besides, if they wanted Tebow so badly, they should have simply drafted him instead of Spiller! Tebow was drafted later in the first round anyway.

Look, I know Nix and Gailey have only had one draft with the Bills so far, but Modrak is coming into his 10th with the Bills. After drafting luxury pick Spiller with their first round pick last year, and then following that pick up in the 2nd and 3rd round by drafting two D-Lineman from small colleges, Nix and Gailey fit right in with Modrak's "strange" drafting. I don't care if Nix went to dinner with Cam Newton yesterday. Watching the Buffalo Bills draft these past 11 years, I have absolutely no idea who they may draft at #3, or if they will trade down out of the #3.

And, either do you. So don't be "upset" thinking Newton is a Buffalo Bill 5-6 weeks before the draft even happens. There are no colleges small enough for Modrak and his team to "shock" the NFL experts at any round of any draft. Chill out and enjoy the evening when it arrives.

With the Bills, it is never boring. :beer:

Edited by BillsPhan

Yes, but the Bills tried desperately to trade up for Tebow, in the end they weren’t willing to give up as much as Denver. So by that line of thinking, yes, they really do want Newton.

Gailey’s comments about “being ahead of the curve” in regard to mobile/spread QBs in the NFL is really quite telling. *I fully believe he wants to run a college spread offense.* That would explain why they drafted Spiller and ditched Lynch. It would be extremely risky but I would love the experiment. I just enjoy games when running QBs are in there, that’s one reason why I like college better than the NFL. Watching Tebow play at the end of last year was very exciting. VYs rookie year was awesome. I just hate it when teams draft a guy like VY or Newton or Tebow, and then try to turn them into a pocket passer. You didn’t draft him because of his pocket-passer skills, so let him run around and make plays. Design an offense for your unique weapon – don’t force him into a mold he doesn’t fit into. Take Newton only if you are going to run the spread and give him 10-12 designed QB runs per game.

*IF* that’s what Gaileys plan is then I would be fine with us drafting Newton, if not, then pass. Why draft him if you want him to stand in the pocket? That takes all of his skills away from him. Design an offense specifically around Newton, that’s the only way to make him successful.

This year that is the case.

Perhaps, but I'd say they're the deepest which makes it less necessary to take one early if Buddy and Co. aren't sold on that particular lineman. It's very likely 1st rd. defensive talent will be available when we pick at 34.

Running the spread, a wildcat, or shotgun are most effective only when both pass and run options are equally threatening. Maybe Chan ,Cam and CJ could be something special.

Starting to think that the best-case scenario is for the Panthers to take Newton first overall. That way the Bills won't have to make the choice of gambling on him or passing on him.

Not if the Bills trade up for him. I'm starting to get a real uneasy feeling about Newton. Of our "braintrust" falls in love with him, who knows what they'll do.

I'm sorry, I don't want Newton. I'm going on record right now and I'm declaring that I want us to take a defensive player with our first pick, preferably Quinn.

Running the spread, a wildcat, or shotgun are most effective only when both pass and run options are equally threatening. Maybe Chan ,Cam and CJ could be something special.

I think the better spread QB would be Gabbert then. I think his release is a little quicker, and even though he is not as big as Newton, I think he could run the ball just as effectively if need be.

I think the Bills should definitely take a QB if they think he's a true blue chip player. I mean, that's a crushingly obvious decision to make. You can't win in the NFL consistently without a good QB. However, I suspect that Newton will go #1 overall. This happens nearly every year - people raise doubts about a top QB, but at the end of the day the QB is always drafted near the top of the draft.

Just look at the history. In the past ten years, 8 of the ten first overall picks have been QBs. In the two years that they weren't, a QB went at the #3 spot.

This year won't be any different.

It's far worse, because if you don't have one, you won't get anywhere. And if you don't gamble, you'll never get one.

I'm a big fan of Fitzpatrick, but even I'd have to seriously consider Cam Newton given his off the charts size, mobility, arm and incredible 2010 championship season. There's something electric about him and it would be the perfect situation since we do have a starter here for him to learn the game under.

That being said, here's how I see the first three picks...

1. Newton/Panthers (I said it over a month ago and still stand by it)

2. Dareus/Broncos (Fox is the head coach...Dareus is the pick)

3. Peterson/Bills (I know it sucks, but too many questions on the other players being considered)

If Newton and Dareus are off the board the Bills will be hoping someone wants the pick badly enough to give them another second rounder or a next year's first.