All Newton all the time

RichardBag

LOL at calling out a pass that sailed at the combine did you not notice Mallet had one that sailed to or you just dismissed that one? I mean its just the combine relax. Hell Locker, Stanzi and Pondermissed a few to but your not gonna call them out to will you?

And let me guess he's Jamarcus Russell because they both black right? Thats all they have in common besides an arm but if thats the case Cam is just like Ben Roethisberger. But he's white so you don't campare the to each other right?

Anyway I mean geez this is really a sensitive subject. I wonder how many people will commite suicide if the Bills do draft him? I mean damn....

My biggest concern about Cam is if he wants to be a football player or he wants to be an "entertiner and an icon"

Russel didnt want to be a football player. Thats where the comparisons come from

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My biggest concern about Cam is if he wants to be a football player or he wants to be an "entertiner and an icon"

Russel didnt want to be a football player. Thats where the comparisons come from

Are you for real dude?

Are you seriously still harping on the statements that were cleared up a week ago? That he was lead into that by a question that had nothing to do with football and specifically about his UnderArmor deal. That the question was conveniently omitted. Cmon man.

I agree that the statement can be worrisome.

One way to take the statement is he doesn't care about football he wants to be an "entertiner and an icon."

Another way to take the statement is he wants to be an "entertiner and an icon" so he is going to whatever it takes to win the Super Bowl because he knows that is the only way that being an icon is going to happen is with Championships.

Both ways you're putting words in his mouth.

Based on the way he plays and from basic history lessons of failed QBs of the past I tend to go with the second statement, but its all open for interpretation.

Through the interviewing process the NFL player personnel Execs will have to determine if they believe wants to take the Super Bowl route.

Personally I would love to see Cam Newton flashing that $100,000,000 smile in a Buffalo Bills uniform as often as I see Peyton Manning's silly face. Especially if it comes with as many or more Super Bowl rings.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Balderdash. The Russel comparisons started WELL before that comment was made.

Russell wasnt concerned with being an entertainer & icon either. He was an overweight, lazy, codeine addict who wanted to sell drugs and sit at home. Bad comparison.

The comparison was he didnt want to be a football player

I said Russel didnt want to be a football player. I dont give a damn if its because Curling is a players real passion if they dont want to play they dont want to be great. Thats my concern with Cam

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Mel Kiper moved Newton to number 10, 2 spots behind Blaine Gabbert @ #8.

It was just a few weeks ago Kiper was insisting the Bills get him and him fitting. I find it odd he has changed and Newton's stocked dropped. I did not expect the talking heads to knock him much for the combine performance.

The comparison was he didnt want to be a football player

I said Russel didnt want to be a football player. I dont give a damn if its because Curling is a players real passion if they dont want to play they dont want to be great. Thats my concern with Cam

In hindsight, you are correct ;)

Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post wrote this interesting column on assessing QB talent in today's newspaper. It's much more thoughtful -- and so much more insightful -- then that POS that Jerry Sullivan wrote for the Buffalo News.

One observation: "The draft experts watched Newton and the rest of the quarterback class as attentively as if they were carbon dating scrolls of papyrus, doing their best to act as if it was a science. But they might as well have been looking for water with a forked stick."

It's a crap shoot, that's all it is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/01/AR2011030106627.html

All i was trying to say is that is has nothing to do with Race

For you that might very well be true (I'm not trying to attack you). But 90% of the detractors reach for Russel because of race. Try sparking a conversation about Newton with some folks. You'll be amazed at how quickly the topic turns racial. It's amazing. Even on this board. During the season at the height of the pay for play scandal, any discussion about Cam turned racial (or at least contained severe racial undertones) within 10 posts.

That's not to say the people doing it are racist. It's just interesting to see how quickly it goes that way. The comparison is always to Vince Young, Russel, Mike Vick, A. Smith etc. Whether people want to admit it or not, there's still a huge stigma attached to being a black QB in the NFL by fans (and, it seems sometimes, coaches/GMs/Owners).

For you that might very well be true (I'm not trying to attack you). But 90% of the detractors reach for Russel because of race. Try sparking a conversation about Newton with some folks. You'll be amazed at how quickly the topic turns racial. It's amazing. Even on this board. During the season at the height of the pay for play scandal, any discussion about Cam turned racial (or at least contained severe racial undertones) within 10 posts.

That's not to say the people doing it are racist. It's just interesting to see how quickly it goes that way. The comparison is always to Vince Young, Russel, Mike Vick, A. Smith etc. Whether people want to admit it or not, there's still a huge stigma attached to being a black QB in the NFL by fans (and, it seems sometimes, coaches/GMs/Owners).

Yet, it is amazing how sensative some people are towards race. I would love to see SI, ESPN someone do a story on it.

I truly believe there is a stereotype that black QB's have to be able to run the ball. If Warren Moon was in the draft today would he fall because he cannot run? Do all QB's have to run? What does race actually mean with a QB? I am not at all racist. I get very offended being called a racist. I posted a thread a few months ago about Newton declaring and was called a racist in the first 3 of 4 responses. I deleted the thread.

I am not trying to make myself out to be a martyr against racism but that we are so hyper sensative to it is just as disturbing as those who are racist. The one who propel the stereotypes are just as bad - that think Cam Newton can run the ball and that it relates to his race or that race changes who someone is - they're just as racist.

Race is not a definition of the identity of anyone - yet we still treat people differently because of it. :wallbash:

Wow.

I know! A guy like McNabb, this far into his career, just cannot get a break from his GM/Owner on a new contract. Same with Garrard. And poor Mike Vick! His GM and owner just will NOT treat him right and pay him a ton of money. And poor Jamarcus Russell, he had such decent single year in college, yet no GM/owner would take a chance on him in the draft---becuase of his race!!

That's not to say these GMs/owners doing it are racist, of course--it's just that they deal in racial undertones and detract form these players because of their race.

It all makes so much sense now.....

Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post wrote this interesting column on assessing QB talent in today's newspaper. It's much more thoughtful -- and so much more insightful -- then that POS that Jerry Sullivan wrote for the Buffalo News.

One observation: "The draft experts watched Newton and the rest of the quarterback class as attentively as if they were carbon dating scrolls of papyrus, doing their best to act as if it was a science. But they might as well have been looking for water with a forked stick."

It's a crap shoot, that's all it is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/01/AR2011030106627.html

Agree and disagree

From the same article

It takes nerve and smarts for a personnel exec to turn down a candidate with a big arm who tests high in speed and agility, in favor of a prospect who is a little less outwardly impressive. Polian made one of the great all time decisions in 1998 when he drafted Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf. It's a no brainer now but it was an agonizing choice back then. Leaf was bigger and more overtly athletic, but to Polian, Manning seemed to have more emotional maturity and ability to deal with adversity. It was exactly the right assessment; Leaf turned out to have buried temperament problems and caused the San Diego Chargers nothing but grief.

Accorsi said, "Besides certain obvious physical talents like decent size and arm strength and ability to at least evade a rush, in my opinion the differences between being good and winning championships are: (1) accuracy; (2) something deep down inside that, as an evaluator, you don't necessarily see, but you can feel when you see him."

from those two quotes specifically the bolded part, lots of QB's have the physical skill but few have the mental capacity to overcome losing, boos and critics. To work harder than you ever have and still struggle.

I'm not saying Newton does or doesn't have the ability to be the best ever. For his sake I hope he has a great career. Personally I have read things and heard things that make me question whether or not he will. There was an anonymous scouts opinion somewhere in this thread that said he was defensive, and wouldnt open up in his interviews. Also said something like he owned up to the laptop thing, but basically said nothing that has happened thus far was really his fault. Things like that (if true) really concern me. My gut says he will struggle and in the end fail. If I'm wrong, like you said its all a crap shoot, but I'm pretty confident in my assessment of Newton. If I'm any team in the top ten, I'm not touching Newton and If i was a GM hes not on my board at all. He just sounds like a cancer to me.

Yet, it is amazing how sensative some people are towards race. I would love to see SI, ESPN someone do a story on it.

I truly believe there is a stereotype that black QB's have to be able to run the ball. If Warren Moon was in the draft today would he fall because he cannot run? Do all QB's have to run? What does race actually mean with a QB? I am not at all racist. I get very offended being called a racist. I posted a thread a few months ago about Newton declaring and was called a racist in the first 3 of 4 responses. I deleted the thread.

I am not trying to make myself out to be a martyr against racism but that we are so hyper sensative to it is just as disturbing as those who are racist. The one who propel the stereotypes are just as bad - that think Cam Newton can run the ball and that it relates to his race or that race changes who someone is - they're just as racist.

Race is not a definition of the identity of anyone - yet we still treat people differently because of it. :wallbash:

Theres probably more stereotyping going on then racism in my opinion.

Did u guys see that pass attempt to the sideline that he made at the combine that sailed 20yards over receiver head.

I mean C`mon man!!! If we want Jamarcus Russell we can pick him up off the streets...

Been busy but was able to take in Cam's combine workout. It was ehh. He looked as disinterested as I did in watching the whole event. Let's be honest, that wasnt a sporting event, that was a television event. Most see it as Cam didnt perform in a SPORTING event. Atleast be aware and recognize it for what it was, a TELEVISION event. I see it as, since im gifted with the use of the other half of my brain...that maybe this kid's light only turns on when its gametyme....not in some faux exibition. I cant imagine being a sucessful GM in this league if u dry hump every Combine super hero. Personally, I could care less about Auburn's pro day...I have already seen the light!! And this light I speak of...is his game tapes. Every thing you need to know is on those tapes. Its really that simple and I cant help anyone if they think otherwise.Hmmmm faux event or real life winning a college championship....hmmmm....yea..nothin changes for me. I-Tee at #3...Owwww...it has such a nice ring to it!! Say it with me I-Tee @ 3!! I-Tee @ 3!!

Nice article with some depth in their comparsion of Cam to Rothleisberger. Take notice of the highlighted text...

Link

"Roethlisberger struggled to read defenses early in his NFL career, a concern for Newton after two seasons as a college starter, including only one at the NCAA Division I level."

Git "IT" OBD

So? alot of people here think that the Bill's should take Newton. Well He may have enough on field skills but it does seem that he's missing TWO things. Maturity and leadership! The Bills dont need a ENTERTIANER OR ICON!! We all know that leadership starts with the QB,skills - leadership = repeating history.

Will Newton be hangin out and singin rap with Maybin? Players that have something but dont have enough and believe everything that the media heads hype them up to be - OVER RATED!