All Newton all the time

RichardBag

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I work at home - or travel - so I always have the radio on. Seems like the smoke is clearing among the talking heads....the Panthers and the Bills are going to take QB's - so its either going to be CN or BG.

I am good with either one.

I will bet you 100 dollars that cam newton is not taken in the first 3 picks....I will bet up to 10 people this

We'll mutually agree on an escrow agent to hold the money. until draft day.

Didn't the government finish the census? :o;)

There's no consensus right now about much of anything. Teams still have a long way to go in determining their draft board, especially with free agency probably not starting as normal this season.

Sure there's a consensus. We are definitely NOT going to take a QB at #3.

I will bet you 100 dollars that cam newton is not taken in the first 3 picks....I will bet up to 10 people this

We'll mutually agree on an escrow agent to hold the money. until draft day.

I'll hold the money for you. :devil:

I work at home - or travel - so I always have the radio on. Seems like the smoke is clearing among the talking heads....the Panthers and the Bills are going to take QB's - so its either going to be CN or BG.

they were 32nd in the NFL against the rush, so I hope you're wrong

While I certainly do agree that it would be tough to pass up a "franchise" type of a QB, I'm still not sold on CN. Hasn't Buddy said that he doesn't like to go for guys that haven't played 4 years in college? Especially a QB? There must be a good reason for Buddy to say something like that, especially given Newton's past; with transferring from Florida and with his dad... I don't know if this is a risk worth taking seeing all of the other equally pressing needs we have.

Thoughts?

You may have seen a different interview than me, but the one I saw, he says he doesnt like "one year wonders". Big difference between staying away from one-yer wonders (meaning sophomores that come out of nowhere), and only wanting guys who have played 4 years. Im not sure we'd be able to put much of a draft together if we stuck to a 4 year rule. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDankenstein

I think your first statement is probably accurate.

I'm far from convinced that either team would consider Gabbert with their first pick though.

I kinda agree with you, but when you think about it, the draft is an educated crap shoot anyway. There has never been a quarterback from college that everyone was sold on or didn't have flaws that worried teams. Bill Polian got criticized alot for taking Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf in 1998. I don't think you ever know for sure if a college QB is gonna be great in the NFL, but I do know that the Bills have needed a franchise quarterback for a decade and a half now, and if they don't take the chance, drafting the highest in the draft that they have since they took Bruce Smith #1 overall, they never will get a franchise quarterback, which in turns means they will never be serious contenders.

I hope you're good with Christian Ponder in the 2nd or 3rd round, because he's the QB the Bills will draft. No way Newton or Gabbert in the 1st round with pick 3.

Wasn't your radio on when Chan was talking up Ponder Senior Bowl week saying he wanted him at GT coming out of high school?

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Don't believe those guys. They are wrong about who the Bills will draft every year. However, if the Bills had picked who the majority of "experts" recommended during the last decade, I believe we would have been watching a more competitive team during those years. Based on successes and busts, it is easy to make a case for the Bills being one of the worst drafting teams for many years. Therefore, the "experts" are almost always wrong about the Bills' draft choices because their guesses assume that the team will draft wisely.

If they think any of the QBs can be another Jim Kelly, then they WILL take them at 3. However, I don't think any of them is

that good and given how WOEFUL the D is, I am expecting a defensive player at 3. IF they are VERY lucky, they might be

able to trade down and still get a good defensive front 7 player, but I'd bet against that.

The hype is just ridicurus. But those of you who read actual quotes and watch interviews of Chan might think as i do. The man is no ones fool. He appears to know exactly what he is doing and he has talked about most of the seeming errors so far. But as i watched him develop his relationship with us, the fans, he has said in a round about way. We know what we need to do to improve, now we need to evaluate the available talent.

Right to the point and a vague as heck. Well done i say , Chan and Buddy. I tell you i wish we had two late 1st or two early seconds compared this stress of picking at # 3. I think i am getting more gray hair

Anything can happen but I agree that Ponder is a legitimate possibility in the third round since Chan worked with him in the Senior Bowl and he came from a pro style offense at FSU. I (as I've posted before) also like Ricky Stanzi from Iowa in the 4th or 5th for the same reason and would LOVE to get Phil Taylor or Jerrell Powe (big 3-4 NT's).

I don't believe CN or BG will transition very well to the NFL but if the guys in charge think so then maybe they go for it and hopefully end up being right.

IMHO, I think they'll go best available player and go DE or DT, ILB or DT, QB or TE, QB or TE and then CB in the 4th, ROT, LOT, and ILB (in somewhat close to that order). We'll see, and there's still two months left before the draft (including pro days) so names will rise and fall many times in between. Let's just hope they knock a few out of the park on draft day either way and start righting this ship.

Edited by hammie65

I kinda agree with you, but when you think about it, the draft is an educated crap shoot anyway. There has never been a quarterback from college that everyone was sold on or didn't have flaws that worried teams. Bill Polian got criticized alot for taking Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf in 1998. I don't think you ever know for sure if a college QB is gonna be great in the NFL

Truth

, but I do know that the Bills have needed a franchise quarterback for a decade and a half now, and if they don't take the chance, drafting the highest in the draft that they have since they took Bruce Smith #1 overall, they never will get a franchise quarterback, which in turns means they will never be serious contenders.

This part I don't get. I agree that the highest probability of drafting a quality QB is in the 1st round, but there seems to be actually a "sweet spot" drafting in the middle of the 1st round --

Our last true "Franchise QB", Kelly, was drafted #14 --

So what's up with the sense of panic, "if we don't draft our franchise QB this year we will never get a franchise QB"? I call BS

This part I don't get. I agree that the highest probability of drafting a quality QB is in the 1st round, but there seems to be actually a "sweet spot" drafting in the middle of the 1st round --

Our last true "Franchise QB", Kelly, was drafted #14 --

So what's up with the sense of panic, "if we don't draft our franchise QB this year we will never get a franchise QB"? I call BS

I'm certainly a vocal member of the "Bills need a Franchise QB" camp. However I don't think anyone, or at least none that I recall hearing, think the Bills have to get one this year. That's the beauty of having Fitz. Fitz is not the problem on the team -- if they don't see a QB they like, Fitz can carry the offense on his shoulders for another season and the Bills can try to find a way to get Luck in 2012. And if they do take a QB at 3 (or 34), Fitz is STILL going to be the starter in 2011 (if there is a 2011) -- as he should be.

The Bills need a QB that can lead them to the Super Bowl. In my opinion, Fitz isn't that guy. But he's good enough to win games and maybe, just maybe, get this team to the playoffs one day with the right pieces around him. And that means that there's no reason for the Bills to rush into picking a QB.

I have Newton on my list. His physical skills alone are worth taking a long hard look at. If Gailey really believes that the future of the NFL is the spread offense (which I think he's right about), then finding a QB who comes from a pro-style offense isn't as important as it was as recently as a year ago. That takes a lot of the risk out of the Newton equation (by that I mean, if they're going to tailor the offense to his strengths, it doesn't matter what offense he came from). But despite all that, I'd be just as happy with the Bills taking Quinn, Fairley, Bowers -- even Gabbart, Von Miller, Jordan, Peterson or Green at 3 because all of those guys seem to have a pretty high ceiling at the next level and a low potential to be busts.

Just my two cents.

Edited by tgreg99

Nothing against Chan, I like him a lot. Nothing against anyone in the organization personally, either.

I do not think Gailey has great odds at being here in 2 or 3 years. With our track record of coaches alone I say this. Other variables, including the possibility of new ownership and management could change things. Of course, if Chan does start to see the door closing behind him I imagine he'll do like many coaches and drop his cards on the table putting anyone on the field to see if there is a difference. I just worry that we draft Newton, continue to struggle and choose to go in another direction without Gailey being stuck with Newton.

...and my god I realize how pathetic that thought is, but I had to say it. Its been in my head a while!

I certainly understand where you're coming from. It's a valid point of view for us fans to think about. But I don't think you avoid Newton because you're afraid he'll bust. This team needs to take risks -- every player, at every position has the potential to bust. And I'm not certain a QB busting really hurts the long term plan for your franchise more than any other player. The big difference is money (which the new CBA should solve) and the fact that a QB is more in the spotlight than any other position so the boom/bust APPEARS to have bigger ramifications.

Look at the Chargers. They blew it with Leaf. Yet, did it really derail their franchise for very long? They had a few down years and then were rebuilt into perennial playoff/super bowl contenders. The Bills are so bad now, busting out on Newton can't make them any worse. What's the worst that happens? They go from 4 wins to 2? You have to roll the dice sometimes, and if they think there's even a 50/50 chance that Newton could be a franchise QB then you have to take him.

If he busts, it would suck. But would it really make a huge difference? Yet, if he is the real deal, his success instantly makes the franchise relevant again, makes the team better quicker than any other player in the draft could do just based on the position he plays.

Edited by tgreg99