I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

Funny...people were po'd when they didn't get to see Tony Soprano killed, then they see Walter White die, and they want to imagine that he didn't! :lol:

That's funny. Remember people insisting they cut back to Meadow's face before the screen went black?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One major plot point that was never answered: What happened at Gretchen's parents' house when they were grad students that made him leave abruptly? He and Gretchen were together and the three of them stated Gray Matter. That was the falling out that caused Walt to accept the buyout of $5k.

Much like cancer can be caused by something external (smoking, etc), this disjoint was the dormant cancer in Walt that was then set off by his real lung cancer. Just a theory.

I like Norm MacDonald's idea but the daydream that Jesse had if being a master woodworker doesn't quite fit. Gilligan would make sure we knew that Walt knew that story about Jesse for it to work. Jesse told that story at the rehab group session.

Great show. I put it right behind "The Wire" and just ahead of "The Sopranos".

One major plot point that was never answered: What happened at Gretchen's parents' house when they were grad students that made him leave abruptly? He and Gretchen were together and the three of them stated Gray Matter. That was the falling out that caused Walt to accept the buyout of $5k.

Much like cancer can be caused by something external (smoking, etc), this disjoint was the dormant cancer in Walt that was then set off by his real lung cancer. Just a theory.

I like Norm MacDonald's idea but the daydream that Jesse had if being a master woodworker doesn't quite fit. Gilligan would make sure we knew that Walt knew that story about Jesse for it to work. Jesse told that story at the rehab group session.

Great show. I put it right behind "The Wire" and just ahead of "The Sopranos".

I was curious about that too. At the end of the day, I don't know if it matters. Gretchen and Elliot were Walt's chip on his shoulder - his driving reason to blame everything but himself.

By the way, one scene I love in retrospect is the flashback to Walt and Gretchen in a classroom talking about the elements that compose a human body. Hydrogen, Carbon, etc. But it didn't add up to 100%. Did it imply that they were forgetting the human soul? The conscience?

I was curious about that too. At the end of the day, I don't know if it matters. Gretchen and Elliot were Walt's chip on his shoulder - his driving reason to blame everything but himself.

By the way, one scene I love in retrospect is the flashback to Walt and Gretchen in a classroom talking about the elements that compose a human body. Hydrogen, Carbon, etc. But it didn't add up to 100%. Did it imply that they were forgetting the human soul? The conscience?

IIRC that scene showed some romantic involvement between Walt and Gretchen.

I always assumed the Grey Matter falling out involved a love triangle there with Elliot. The question is who betrayed who?

I have always thought Gretchen was with Eliot first because in my mind it made more sense in that scenario that Walt would walk away and take the buyout because of guilt.

If it was the other way around, Eliot stole Gretchen from Walt and somehow forced him out, well then he was much too kind to him in the end.

IIRC that scene showed some romantic involvement between Walt and Gretchen.

I always assumed the Grey Matter falling out involved a love triangle there with Elliot. The question is who betrayed who?

I have always thought Gretchen was with Eliot first because in my mind it made more sense in that scenario that Walt would walk away and take the buyout because of guilt.

If it was the other way around, Eliot stole Gretchen from Walt and somehow forced him out, well then he was much too kind to him in the end.

Maybe she really digs ears?

...I like Norm MacDonald's idea but the daydream that Jesse had if being a master woodworker doesn't quite fit. Gilligan would make sure we knew that Walt knew that story about Jesse for it to work. Jesse told that story at the rehab group session.

What's the relevance of Walt having to know about Jesse's revelation in a group therapy session of an important moment in his life? The daydream, no, the disassociation, was a beautiful touch by Gilligan that really captured Jesse's survival instinct. Walt being privy to that story had no bearing on what Gilligan was trying to convey in that scene.

[/size]

What's the relevance of Walt having to know about Jesse's revelation in a group therapy session of an important moment in his life? The daydream, no, the disassociation, was a beautiful touch by Gilligan that really captured Jesse's survival instinct. Walt being privy to that story had no bearing on what Gilligan was trying to convey in that scene.

I think the idea was that IF everything after Walt in the car was kind of his imagination and fantasy about how things play out then it wouldn't make sense that he could imagine Jessie with the box seeing he didn't know about it.

I don't hate the Norm McDonald theory but everything about Jessie kind of shoots it down. Especially that Jessie was a slave to the AB guys.

I think the idea was that IF everything after Walt in the car was kind of his imagination and fantasy about how things play out then it wouldn't make sense that he could imagine Jessie with the box seeing he didn't know about it.

I don't hate the Norm McDonald theory but everything about Jessie kind of shoots it down. Especially that Jessie was a slave to the AB guys.

Not to mention, if it was a fantasy, wouldn't he have made up with Flynn/Walt Jr?

Not to mention, if it was a fantasy, wouldn't he have made up with Flynn/Walt Jr?

Walt also had no way of knowing that the Nazi's enslaved Jesse. And somehow i doubt that Walt would ever fantaisize about having to enlist the help of Badger and Skinny Pete

Gotcha. I took the idea completely out of context. Thanks for the clarification.

Walt also had no way of knowing that the Nazi's enslaved Jesse. And somehow i doubt that Walt would ever fantaisize about having to enlist the help of Badger and Skinny Pete

Two best hit men west of the Mississippi. I was grateful to Gilligan for their inclusion and comic relief in the finale.

did you hear gilligan explain why walt put the watch on the payphone? it was about consistencies...he didn't have a watch, the first time they showed walt with the bacon 52, jesse gave him the watch as a gift at some point...or something like that...talk about paying attention to the small details

Continuation is a very serious business, and it is noted quite extensively online. I find it awesome he cared enough to get it right :)

But when Walt does go off the NH reservation, first you see tire tracks in the snow, but next when he's walking to town ( and the fateful phone all to Flynn) the snow on the road is pristine.

I thought the ending was a little silly. C'mon you wipe out all your enemies by hooking a M60 to a wiper motor?

it was a garage door opener.

Two best hit men west of the Mississippi. I was grateful to Gilligan for their inclusion and comic relief in the finale.

Hope they're in the Saul goodman spinoff!

Aw

Gilligan turned the tables on us all once again. Just when we're expecting Heisenberg to spring forth in full Armageddon battle dress and rain down hellfire on EVERYONE, we see Janus once again. Walt hasn't died completely and he spreads LOVE around to those who deserve it. The scene with Jessie making his perfect rosewood box that even smelled beautiful was a delicious gift to the audience as was his cathartic admission to Skylar that he did it for himself. That he felt "alive". That was a gift of love to her as was his sad goodbye to Holly and his last vision of his innocent crippled scion. The final expression of love was to Jessie whom he could plainly see hadn't joined UJ and his band of merry nazis willingly, and he gifted hi his freedom.

God what a barn-burner of a series! Thank you all who ere involved in bring this Amrican epic to life. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Edited by Nanker

OK, 2 things, first is about the Walt imagining the ending...when he died and the police came into the meth lab with him on the floor, was it me or did none of the cops really even acknowledge his presence, albeit lifeless. I haven't rewatched it but it certainly seemed to me like they didn't even train a weapon on him, they simply passed by the body.

second, sorry if someone brought this up but i heard this this morning on my walk and i almost fell over lauging

As well as, you're going to need a much bigger knife and cheer up beautiful people, this is your chance to make it right (or something like that)....great lines!

Edited by ricojes

But when Walt does go off the NH reservation, first you see tire tracks in the snow, but next when he's walking to town ( and the fateful phone all to Flynn) the snow on the road is pristine.

it was a garage door opener.

Aw

Gilligan turned the tables on us all once again. Just when we're expecting Heisenberg to spring forth in full Armageddon battle dress and rain down hellfire on EVERYONE, we see Janus once again. Walt hasn't died completely and he spreads LOVE around to those who deserve it. The scene with Jessie making his perfect rosewood box that even smelled beautiful was a delicious gift to the audience as was his cathartic admission to Skylar that he did it for himself. That he felt "alive". That was a gift of love to her as was his sad goodbye to Holly and his last vision of his innocent crippled scion. The final expression of love was to Jessie whom he could plainly see hadn't joined UJ and his band of merry nazis willingly, and he gifted hi his freedom.

God what a barn-burner of a series! Thank you all who ere involved in bring this Amrican epic to life. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

http://youtu.be/C53QAuOoSgc

I agree. I didn't get the sense that was Heisenberg at all in the finale. That was the last vestige of Walt and it came light in the kitchen scene with Skylar. Some measure of redemption for a man who knew all too well what his hubris had cost him.

OK, 2 things, first is about the Walt imagining the ending...when he died and the police came into the meth lab with him on the floor, was it me or did none of the cops really even acknowledge his presence, albeit lifeless. I haven't rewatched it but it certainly seemed to me like they didn't even train a weapon on him, they simply passed by the body.

second, sorry if someone brought this up but i heard this this morning on my walk and i almost fell over lauging

Looked to me like they were approaching with caution, guns drawn and aimed squarely at him laying on the floor.

The tracks were from the vacuum guys vehicle which was coming from out of town, so I took it as he was walking down a different road. Or most likely the same road, just the opposite direction towards the town.

Edited by ricojes

Badger and Skinny Pete's inclusion would seriously limit the scope of any Saul spinoff.

Remember, Breaking Bad's timeline is really 2 years from Walt's 50th birthday when he was diagnosed to his 52nd when he had breakfast at the diner.

Saul is introduced midway thru Season 2 when Badger gets pinched. I don't remember how far into the timeline it is, say a couple months

Saul disappears to Omaha at the same time Walt goes to New Hampshire, about a month before Walt's 52nd

So including Badger and Skinny Pete would limit the spinoff to a timeline of 18 months, give or take