I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does that show compare to other series you have watched?

I'm in the "seeking a new show to love" mode, too...I saw that Sons of Anarchy is available on Netflix streaming, as well as Trailer Park Boys...thinking about those two for sure. I started Mad Men but for some reason just didn't have the motivation to continue past the first 5 episodes.

I have always liked Bryan Cranston, and he is excellent in this show. The character development is good, and the subject matter is dark. I love Weeds but this doesn't have the humor that Weeds has, nor does it have Mary Louise Parker either. I was riveted by the episodes, 45 minutes each, and they add some interesting twists. I highly recommend it and have heard no one say anything but positive, which got me to watch it.

I have always liked Bryan Cranston, and he is excellent in this show. The character development is good, and the subject matter is dark. I love Weeds but this doesn't have the humor that Weeds has, nor does it have Mary Louise Parker either. I was riveted by the episodes, 45 minutes each, and they add some interesting twists. I highly recommend it and have heard no one say anything but positive, which got me to watch it.

Where did you download the episodes from? Amazon?

What are you? Internet police? I refuse to answer on the grounds I may incriminate myself :-)

Yar! I've had to resort to :pirate: meself, a'times!

Netflix, unfortunately, doesn't carry everything. My most recent has been the current run of "Doctor Who." All caught up with it as of today.

I might try "Breaking Bad" next.

Edited by UConn James

Just in time for the new season. I think it starts tonight.

I actually caught "The Impossible Astronaut" via :pirate: earlier today.

I realize The Doctor changes with each iteration --- that's a main part of the fun of the series --- and that David Tennant is gone. But I'm still trying to get used to Matt Smith as The Doctor, and having to gird up for the season-long arcs under Stephen Moffett (this opener seems to be going that way as well), as opposed to the more stand-alone episodes.

Edited by UConn James

Other, newer, current, shows I would recommend:

"Mad Men" (AMC- either you will love this, or hate it)

"Treme" (HBO- another excellent David Simon show, second season starts tonight, Easter Sunday)

"Boardwalk Empire" (HBO- great cast, takes about 3-4 episodes to hit its' stride)

"Friday Night Lights" (NBC/DIRECTV- 5th, and final, season just came out on DVD, despite the fact that it hasn't aired on NBC yet...ratings challenged, but great show...be warned though, you will have an uncomfortable lump in your throat at all times...show always "kept it real", though the finale was a little too schmaltzy for my taste, I will miss this show...

"Borgias" (Showtime- new show, I have only seen the first two episodes so far, but it looks like a good one...)

"Men Of a Certain Age" (TNT, I think...understated show, deals with middle age men, in a realistic way, doesn't make all of them look like creeps, or morons, kind of funny too! My sister sent me copies of the first season, and I really enjoyed it, more than I was expecting to.)

OLDER SHOWS:

The Sopranos (all time favorite, if you haven't seen it yet, what are you waiting for?)

Larry Sanders Show (Like "Seinfeld" & "Curb Your Enthusiasim", but with much better acting, and richer characters...all-time favorite comedy...)

Freaks & Geeks (only 1 shortened season, showing currently on IFC)

Mary Tyler Moore Show (man this show holds up very well...great ensemble cast)

Kung Fu: (growing up in WNY, I was morbidly depressed, as a lad, when the local affiliate decided not to show the last season of this show...it was on Canadian tv, but at the same time as my other favorite childhood show, "Planet of the Apes"...I picked up the entire show on DVD, dirt cheap, a few years ago...it was really good...Carradine is a terrific actor, and the show had a deep philosophical content, which I found appealing as an adult...plus, it was great to see Kwai Chai Caine, finally, find his long lost brother...doesn't turn out so well!)

I am sure I am leaving out something vital...I have never watched "Arrested Development", but plan on tackling it some day, when there are fewer sports on tv...

Was listening to a replay of a certain radio show that hasn't been funny or relevant for years, and one of the personalities recommend a a show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost trying to assimilate in a normal world, not usually my cup of tea, but she was giving it a glowing review, might be walking dead, but that could be another show they were talking about

It's called being human

Edited by The Poojer

Was listening to a replay of a certain radio show that hasn't been funny or relevant for years, and one of the personalities recommend a a show about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost trying to assimilate in a normal world, not usually my cup of tea, but she was giving it a glowing review, might be walking dead, but that could be another show they were talking about

It's called being human

Wow...though I kind of like Walking Dead (just a good sci-fi), I loathe anything in the vampire genre...but if you like it...you might like this... :lol:

downloaded all 3 seasons and over the past 2 weeks have watched them all....WOW, what a show...now i have to wait til July! Now I better start on Dexter

It's the best show currently on TV (or for which there are still new episodes to come... you know what I mean). At least you only just finished season 3-- it will have been over a full year of waiting for season 4 for those of us who watched season 3 on tv!

It only gets better...second season was amazing.

I just finished the third to last of season 2, where [yellow-fonted for spoilers] the girl drowns in her own vomit, and Walt just watches. Holy ****! I mean... Holy ****!!!" Been up all night b/c I just couldn't stop watching. I now don't feel quite so bad that BB/Bryan Cranston won for best drama over LOST/Matthew Fox.

This show is so gritty, so real. So much better than all the fabricated Hollywood crap where people talk in perfect sentences and everything always ties up... life isn't like that. And it's such an amazing dynamic of almost... rooting for Walter to be successful in his drug production. Up to this point, that's largely because of his family, his situation, and the rationalization similar to what Walter makes --- that someone's going to supply meth and make a lot of $, so it might as well be him so he can provide for his family when he's gone. I just wonder how much longer this dynamic of rooting/sympathy for Walter can last.

Here toward the close of S2, I don't see how this show can end well for Walter. All of the things he's done cannot/ought not be rewarded on-screen.

Edited by UConn James

Okay, I finally gave in and downloaded the first season of BB. I finished watching the pilot and the episode after that. Looking forward to getting into the rest.

The bath tub scene was AWESOME lol

Okay, I finally gave in and downloaded the first season of BB. I finished watching the pilot and the episode after that. Looking forward to getting into the rest.

The bath tub scene was AWESOME lol

It only gets better... ;)

It only gets better... ;)

Good...I've false started a couple times recently, so it'll be nice to have a show stick. I just love the way this show is set up...lots of potential for interesting interactions and scenarios among the characters :thumbsup:

Just finished the string of "Breaking Bad."

Wow.

That's all I can say. Well, no. In addition to my earlier comments, I'd just like to add that one of the touches that make this series awesome, besides the writing and acting, is the camerawork. I believe there's been more time-lapse work in this than I've ever seen before, and it makes for some great, original establishment shots.

Walt really is one of the more interesting characters on teevee now. He's got an obsessive streak a mile wide, a knowing smarminess to him that is simultaneously off-putting and what makes him something of an anti-hero. This Season 3 arch was just terrific, as things seemingly got more stable for Walt and Jesse, they're now into something that's a thousand times worse than anything they faced before. The quiet kingpin, Gus, is similar to LOST's Benjamin Linus character in a way.... Anyway, since the 'cooking' started, there's an unpredictable self-destructive bent (e.g. stomping on the gas and closing his eyes on the highway) whenever there hasn't been a self-preservation bent. And Walt's late-in-the-day realization that his actions aren't nearly as benign as he thought they were, nor are they now as easily rationalized away. There have been lots of times when he's had no pity for people who've brought things upon themselves, yet the shooting of the kid really brought something out of Walter. And as hard as he is on Jesse, he's been there as a kind of protective father figure / still acting as a teacher.

just watched S1E1 of Dexter...after Breaking Bad I am not as excited to watch the next episode as I was with BB, but I will keep watching and see if it clicks for me....pretty interesting concept for sure...

Just finished the string of "Breaking Bad."

Wow.

That's all I can say. Well, no. In addition to my earlier comments, I'd just like to add that one of the touches that make this series awesome, besides the writing and acting, is the camerawork. I believe there's been more time-lapse work in this than I've ever seen before, and it makes for some great, original establishment shots.

Walt really is one of the more interesting characters on teevee now. He's got an obsessive streak a mile wide, a knowing smarminess to him that is simultaneously off-putting and what makes him something of an anti-hero. This Season 3 arch was just terrific, as things seemingly got more stable for Walt and Jesse, they're now into something that's a thousand times worse than anything they faced before. The quiet kingpin, Gus, is similar to LOST's Benjamin Linus character in a way.... Anyway, since the 'cooking' started, there's an unpredictable self-destructive bent (e.g. stomping on the gas and closing his eyes on the highway) whenever there hasn't been a self-preservation bent. And Walt's late-in-the-day realization that his actions aren't nearly as benign as he thought they were, nor are they now as easily rationalized away. There have been lots of times when he's had no pity for people who've brought things upon themselves, yet the shooting of the kid really brought something out of Walter. And as hard as he is on Jesse, he's been there as a kind of protective father figure / still acting as a teacher.

Yeah, Season 3 was pretty intense. It certainly ended with a bang. Can't wait for this to start again.

Yeah, Season 3 was pretty intense. It certainly ended with a bang. Can't wait for this to start again.

I loved season 3, but I think season 2 was near perfect...can't wait for July, season 4! :thumbsup:

I loved season 3, but I think season 2 was near perfect...can't wait for July, season 4! :thumbsup:

Thank God, cause with no Mad Men and hockey season over, there's just nothing to watch on TV between now and football. At this point, I'm going to have to go back and rent 'Roots' or 'Band of Brothers' or something.

Season 2 was great with the whole plane crash thing unfolding episode to episode.

Edited by KD in CT

Thank God, cause with no Mad Men and hockey season over, there's just nothing to watch on TV between now and football. At this point, I'm going to have to go back and rent 'Roots' or 'Band of Brothers' or something.

Season 2 was great with the whole plane crash thing unfolding episode to episode.

Have you been wathcing "The Killing" on AMC? I won't put in the same class as "Mad Men" or "Breaking Bad", because it is sort of just your conventional cop show, in some ways...but it is getting to the point, 6 episodes in, where I am starting to get pissed when it ends...masterful job of leaving you wanting more....last nights end was a mind-blower...

Also, I love the show "Treme". Second season has started out strong. It is a David Simon show ("Homicide" "The Wire"), but it has nothing to do with cops, for the most part. Being a bit of a music person, I have never seen anything that so accurately portrays musicians....not superstar musicians, but people who make their living playing in bars, and on the streets...really powerful show. It does have a political slant to it...New Orleans after Katrina, go figure. Great cast.

Well, I just finished Season 1, so this show definitely made the cut for me. I find Walt one of the most interesting characters I've come across in quite a while and I love the way the supporting cast is structured around him. There were three or four really memorable and, IMO, original scenes/sequences that will stick with me for a long time. I can't wait to download S2 from Amazon and get it started :thumbsup:

Well, I just finished Season 1, so this show definitely made the cut for me. I find Walt one of the most interesting characters I've come across in quite a while and I love the way the supporting cast is structured around him. There were three or four really memorable and, IMO, original scenes/sequences that will stick with me for a long time. I can't wait to download S2 from Amazon and get it started :thumbsup:

Walt is terrific, and Bryan Cranston is amazing...but as the show goes on, I think you will start to appreciate Jessie/Aaron Paul even more...like I said, season 2 is pretty much, note for note, perfect in my opinion. Season 1 was shortened by the writers strike that year, so you sort of get what would have been a terrific end for season 1 (though the way season 1 ended was fine too), and a whole incredible story arc that is fascinationg, and seemingly, very realistic. Good stuff!

Walt is terrific, and Bryan Cranston is amazing...but as the show goes on, I think you will start to appreciate Jessie/Aaron Paul even more...like I said, season 2 is pretty much, note for note, perfect in my opinion. Season 1 was shortened by the writers strike that year, so you sort of get what would have been a terrific end for season 1 (though the way season 1 ended was fine too), and a whole incredible story arc that is fascinationg, and seemingly, very realistic. Good stuff!

I completely forgot about the writer's strike...so glad that's over! I LOVE how there are so many good shows on channels like AMC, Bravo, A&E, etc, as opposed to the main networks. I've mentioned it a few times on the forums here that I'm just not one for scripted television. The only shows I typically watch are reality based and sports. But you guys helped me to make the decision to take a chance with 24, Lost, the Sopranos, Firefly, and now Breaking Bad, and I've really enjoyed each series.

BTW, for anyone who is just starting season 2, it looks like AMC has season 2 being replayed this week after midnight. They are on like episode 4 or 5, so I downloaded the first 4 eps off Amazon last night and will DVR the rest...can't wait! :thumbsup:

I completely forgot about the writer's strike...so glad that's over! I LOVE how there are so many good shows on channels like AMC, Bravo, A&E, etc, as opposed to the main networks. I've mentioned it a few times on the forums here that I'm just not one for scripted television. The only shows I typically watch are reality based and sports. But you guys helped me to make the decision to take a chance with 24, Lost, the Sopranos, Firefly, and now Breaking Bad, and I've really enjoyed each series.

BTW, for anyone who is just starting season 2, it looks like AMC has season 2 being replayed this week after midnight. They are on like episode 4 or 5, so I downloaded the first 4 eps off Amazon last night and will DVR the rest...can't wait! :thumbsup:

I think they're also running Season 3 on Monday night (Tuesday morning). The show is so good and I whole-heartedly agree with Buftex about Aaron Paul's ability.

Here's his audition tape which is a scene from Season 1. The scene was called-back in Season 3's "Mas" that was on last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5fd95h4HCs

I think they're also running Season 3 on Monday night (Tuesday morning). The show is so good and I whole-heartedly agree with Buftex about Aaron Paul's ability.

Here's his audition tape which is a scene from Season 1. The scene was called-back in Season 3's "Mas" that was on last night.

I can tell just by watching the first ep of season 2 that this is going to be a great ride. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys are talking about with AP really showcasing his abilities. The only character that I'm really annoyed with and could do without is Marie. Aside from her, I love all these characters and I think they way they have set everything up is very smart. I'm also hoping that Walt's coworker Claudia gets a little more screen time....hubba hubba!!

I am not a fan of the son character...he annoys me for some reason...I love the Jesse character..I really find myself rooting for him...I cannot wait for season 4. I absolutely love the show....could use some gratuitous nudity though

I can tell just by watching the first ep of season 2 that this is going to be a great ride. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys are talking about with AP really showcasing his abilities. The only character that I'm really annoyed with and could do without is Marie. Aside from her, I love all these characters and I think they way they have set everything up is very smart. I'm also hoping that Walt's coworker Claudia gets a little more screen time....hubba hubba!!

I am not a fan of the son character...he annoys me for some reason...I love the Jesse character..I really find myself rooting for him...I cannot wait for season 4. I absolutely love the show....could use some gratuitous nudity though

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about the son, but then I realized they weren't exploiting his disability at all. He's written in just like any other character, and I love that. They do make some subtle hints at how they may take an extra precaution or two as parents, but the kid is just like any other part of the family.

Totally agree about the nudity...c'mon AMC...ur cable...let's see some BOOBAGE!!! :D