I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

I am not a fan of the son character...he annoys me for some reason...I love the Jesse character..I really find myself rooting for him...I cannot wait for season 4. I absolutely love the show....could use some gratuitous nudity though

If I have one complaint, throughout the series, we get to see a little too much of Cranstons' ass...funny, I have only seen "Malcolm in the Middle" (his other best known show) and he is normally half naked in that too...and then, one night, I am flipping stations, and come across a rerun of "King Of Queens" and the hilarity ensues as the Kings (Kevin James) is annoyed that his new neighbor built an above ground pool, which he and the wife can see while they are eating dinner...and the neighbor likes to walk around on the deck in his speedos...who plays the neighbor? You guessed it, Bryan Cranston! WTF...like he has something in his contract that says he must walk around in his skivees for a minimum number of scenes... :lol:

I think the son is great...AJ is right, they don't milk his handicap, and the actor himself actually has cerebral palsy. How often does that happen on television? I like AJs observation. One of my oldest, and best friends has cerebral palsy. And you know, sometimes I feel bad, because I forget he has it. He used me as a job reference once (I was his boss years ago) and they asked me what sort of affect his cerebral palsy had on his work...and honestly, I laughed out loud, because I never think of him as having it. He uses the caines/braces and has some issues with walking, but he never lets it keep him from anything. The son on Breaking Bad reminds me of him, quite a bit...even looks like him. The only time I really remember them using his condition in a storyline was in either the first or second one, where the kids in the store are making fun of Walt Jr, and Walt Sr gets a previously unnoticed spine, and puts them in their place...it was a great scene, I think, more than anything, to show how much Walt loves his family, but has a difficult time standing up for himself...he overcompensates, big-time! :P

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I have one complaint, throughout the series, we get to see a little too much of Cranstons' ass...funny, I have only seen "Malcolm in the Middle" (his other best known show) and he is normally half naked in that too...and then, one night, I am flipping stations, and come across a rerun of "King Of Queens" and the hilarity ensues as the Kings (Kevin James) is annoyed that his new neighbor built an above ground pool, which he and the wife can see while they are eating dinner...and the neighbor likes to walk around on the deck in his speedos...who plays the neighbor? You guessed it, Bryan Cranston! WTF...like he has something in his contract that says he must walk around in his skivees for a minimum number of scenes... :lol:

I think the son is great...AJ is right, they don't milk his handicap, and the actor himself actually has cerebral palsy. How often does that happen on television? I like AJs observation. One of my oldest, and best friends has cerebral palsy. And you know, sometimes I feel bad, because I forget he has it. He used me as a job reference once (I was his boss years ago) and they asked me what sort of affect his cerebral palsy had on his work...and honestly, I laughed out loud, because I never think of him as having it. He uses the caines/braces and has some issues with walking, but he never lets it keep him from anything. The son on Breaking Bad reminds me of him, quite a bit...even looks like him. The only time I really remember them using his condition in a storyline was in either the first or second one, where the kids in the store are making fun of Walt Jr, and Walt Sr gets a previously unnoticed spine, and puts them in their place...it was a great scene, I think, more than anything, to show how much Walt loves his family, but has a difficult time standing up for himself...he overcompensates, big-time! :P

There is a bit of comedic value to grown man in his underwear, tho.... At least it's not as often (or as grotesque) as Dennis Franz in NYPD Blue. The versions I saw were edited, so I do send a thank you shoutout to whoever had the diligence to blot out BC's ass.

There's also a side that comes out as the series progresses of Walter just not caring anymore. Pinning it all on the lung cancer would probably miss the mark, b/c his anger has built up for a long time, with no vent --- from apparently being axed at the company he/his work helped found (I really hope they get more into that in flashbacks) that led him to have to switch from chemistry practice to theory/teaching uninterested teens and from having a son with a disability who has had to endure the stigma of being different. The 'not caring anymore' led Walt to, as you write, overcompensate and finally burst on the guy in the clothing store, overcompensate and not only cook meth, but to prove to himself (and some others) that he is a brilliant chemist, overcompensate and have his whole family man role just crumble. It's going to be something to see if this whole S3 finale stuff with the 11-year-old changes him as much as I think it has/will.

As for the actor who plays Walter Jr./Flynn, he has a mild case of CP and has had to work on accentuating it for this character. I think it's awesome that in a teevee world where relatively few people have been portrayed with mental & physical handicaps --- and them being defined by the handicap --- that Walter Jr. is a pretty normal kid, notwithstanding.

Holy CRAP! It's like 3:30am and I just finished watching ep2 of Season 2. That was one of the BEST episodes of television I've ever seen in my life!

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and the time FLEW by! Wow...this show is ridiculously good!

If you're looking for episode by episode analysis and lots of viewer feedback, check out AV Club.

AV CLUB - Breaking Bad

It's fun to see the insights from other viewers.

The 'Television Without Pity' forums are very good as well. I haven't spent any time there since "The West Wing" ended, but it looks like the same format and level of contributors.

If you're looking for episode by episode analysis and lots of viewer feedback, check out AV Club.

AV CLUB - Breaking Bad

It's fun to see the insights from other viewers.

I would add that the analysis lines of "Full Measures," vis. "Gale's final definition as collateral damage" and "someone who is merely in the way" is something that is at least debatable. SPOILER ALERT:

In his discussion with Gus, it was highly intimated that Gale needed to learn every detail of the "cooking recipe" as soon as possible so that Gus could have Walter and Jesse killed. Gale played along --- 'I could do it in, say, four cooks..... Two? Oh, OK. One cook.' Right there, he went from "collateral damage" who made a perfect cup of coffee and recited Whitman, to an active player in a double murder plot.

That part cemented my thought that Walter wanted Gale out originally, not b/c he was so head-over-heels or cared about Jesse, or to keep Jesse from potentially giving up "Heisenberg" to the police/DEA if/when he got caught cooking and selling his own product, as Badger did. No, Walter's vision was a little longer- (or is it shorter-?) term than that. Once Gale knew the recipe, the $3M man wouldn't be needed anymore.

It's like the story of an old press operator my father knew. This guy was the only one in the plant who knew exactly how it ran. When he was a young kid first starting out, an old guy who was about to retire showed him everything and told him never to show or tell this to anyone else. So when our guy got to retirement, two weeks out, he did the same thing with another young kid starting out, whom he got along with. Being the only one who knows a formula is valuable.

Gale may have been something of a shrinking violet when it came to personally-doled violence, but he was definitely a conspirator, under threat of force from Gus or not.

Edited by UConn James

That part cemented my thought that Walter wanted Gale out originally, not b/c he was so head-over-heels or cared about Jesse, or to keep Jesse from potentially giving up "Heisenberg" to the police/DEA if/when he got caught cooking and selling his own product, as Badger did. No, Walter's vision was a little longer- (or is it shorter-?) term than that. Once Gale knew the recipe, the $3M man wouldn't be needed anymore.

I never thought there was any question this was the case.

I was a little unsure about his reasoning for the initial 'I can't work with you Gale. <Was it because I put the setting at 8.5? blah blah blah...> I can't explain it. I just can't work with you.' I had partly pegged it to Walter's ultimate control freak nature (see: the "Fly" episode), his pride at being the best and wanting the credit for his product, and in his interest of silencing Jesse by putting him to work. I hadn't connected that dot at that point. Then again, I watched most of these marathon-like from midnights-4 a.m. so the contemplation time wasn't really there.

Gale's demise is cosmic karma for destroying the credibility of The Baltimore Sun ("The Wire"), and marrying his grad student Mel ("Flight of the Conchords"). Jeeze, that dude is everywhere.

:D

Really enjoying season 2 so far...another really interesting aspect to the story is the ongoing discussion/argument/posturing between Walt and Jesse pertaining to which of them needs the other more, lol. Walt will allow the criminal element within to rear its head, confidently spouting off to Jesse about how insignificant Jesse is and how Heisenberg is the MAN. Then just recently, after getting the RV issue all squared away, you have the roles reversed with Jesse laying down the law with regard to how the distribution side of things will run. Walt begins to realize he has no clue about that aspect of the game, and for the most part gives in. Awesome!! :thumbsup:

The women on this show are really starting to get annoying, though...I was really diggin' his wife, but this passive aggressive crap she's pullin' after the faux amnesia incident is a bit much. :rolleyes:

Agree. On a side note, Gail's apartment decor was visually stunning. That's one of the reasons I love the show. The details in the camera shots (light/dark, background objects, etc.) are done perfectly.

Really enjoying season 2 so far...another really interesting aspect to the story is the ongoing discussion/argument/posturing between Walt and Jesse pertaining to which of them needs the other more, lol. Walt will allow the criminal element within to rear its head, confidently spouting off to Jesse about how insignificant Jesse is and how Heisenberg is the MAN. Then just recently, after getting the RV issue all squared away, you have the roles reversed with Jesse laying down the law with regard to how the distribution side of things will run. Walt begins to realize he has no clue about that aspect of the game, and for the most part gives in. Awesome!! :thumbsup:

The women on this show are really starting to get annoying, though...I was really diggin' his wife, but this passive aggressive crap she's pullin' after the faux amnesia incident is a bit much. :rolleyes:

Wait until you get to IFT....

Such a small detail, but they have great titles. They mean next to nothing when you go into an ep, and then by the end, they usually sum it all up perfectly (often have a double-entendre or chemistry term link), and give an immediate recollection of what happened, or a crucial part/monologue of the ep. For instance, "Half Measures" and Mike the Cleaner's story.

Wait until you get to IFT....

Such a small detail, but they have great titles. They mean next to nothing when you go into an ep, and then by the end, they usually sum it all up perfectly (often have a double-entendre or chemistry term link), and give an immediate recollection of what happened, or a crucial part/monologue of the ep. For instance, "Half Measures" and Mike the Cleaner's story.

Cool, I honestly haven't even been paying attention to the titles...will have to change that :)

You guys notice how often Walt is shot from below through water or glass? That has to be a fore-shadowing of something, right?

There are a number of upward camera shots like that through the series. Through a pot of boiling water, through toilet water, a crash clean-up person in through the pool.... It's done for a lot of characters, iirc. Like the use of time-lapse shots, I would peg it more to cinematography method rather than an interpretive point.

There are a number of upward camera shots like that through the series. Through a pot of boiling water, through toilet water, a crash clean-up person in through the pool.... It's done for a lot of characters, iirc. Like the use of time-lapse shots, I would peg it more to cinematography method rather than an interpretive point.

The one that always stood out, was the openining shot, of one of the first season episodes, where Jesse and Walt are cleaning up the reamains of the bathtub guy...really gross...but very effective. :sick:

The one that always stood out, was the openining shot, of one of the first season episodes, where Jesse and Walt are cleaning up the reamains of the bathtub guy...really gross...but very effective. :sick:

The bath tub scene was the one that hooked me on the show, lol...

Just finished up S2...pulled a bit of an all-nighter, cause I just had to see what was going to happen next! About to download S3 from Amazon :D

Just when I thought I couldn't enjoy the show any more than I already was, Bob Odenkirk shows up to play Saul Goodman :worthy:

I'm four episodes into S3 and....WTF??? lol

This show continues to be some of the most entertaining tv I've ever seen, but WOW is it stressing me out! I can't believe how fugged up everything is right now...it's almost affecting me on an emotional level, and I think my blood pressure goes up more with every single episode lol.

I've tried to see things from Skylar's perspective once she sort of figured things out, but I just can't do it...Walt deserved better, regardless of his Machiavellian tendencies. This show is NUTS! :w00t:

i was the same way when i watched all 3 seasons over the course of a couple weeks...it really gets its hooks into you, its an amazing show, and the fact that you are rooting for someone to succeed in something that is very bad is very confusing.

I just started on season 2 of Dexter and while i don't think its close to breaking bad, it is very good, and its very similar that the main character that you can't believe you root for.

I'm four episodes into S3 and....WTF??? lol

This show continues to be some of the most entertaining tv I've ever seen, but WOW is it stressing me out! I can't believe how fugged up everything is right now...it's almost affecting me on an emotional level, and I think my blood pressure goes up more with every single episode lol.

I've tried to see things from Skylar's perspective once she sort of figured things out, but I just can't do it...Walt deserved better, regardless of his Machiavellian tendencies. This show is NUTS! :w00t:

i was the same way when i watched all 3 seasons over the course of a couple weeks...it really gets its hooks into you, its an amazing show, and the fact that you are rooting for someone to succeed in something that is very bad is very confusing.

I just started on season 2 of Dexter and while i don't think its close to breaking bad, it is very good, and its very similar that the main character that you can't believe you root for.

Dexter is a show that intrigues me, as well. I did rent the first disc of season one a while back and found myself enjoying it, but I got distracted and didn't continue. Maybe be a good option once I'm done with BB since you seem to be enjoying it, too.

Dexter is a show that intrigues me, as well. I did rent the first disc of season one a while back and found myself enjoying it, but I got distracted and didn't continue. Maybe be a good option once I'm done with BB since you seem to be enjoying it, too.

I have stuck with "Dexter" through five seasons, so obviously, I enjoyed it to a degree...however, I must say, I have enjoyed each season a little less...it is a great concept, but, for me at least, the characters are just way too one dimensional. I thought this past season was not very good...

Edited by Buftex

I have stuck with "Dexter" through five seasons, so obviously, I enjoyed it to a degree...however, I must say, I have enjoyed each season a little less...it is a great concept, but, for me at least, the characters are just way too one dimensional. I thought this past season was not very good...

Seems I've heard a few people say that, actually. All I know is that no matter what I decide to watch after BB is over, it will pale in comparison. This show is just ridiculously good, and I really am appreciative to you guys for the discussion. I would have missed out on a great viewing experience!

Also, I'm really enjoying watching shows that have been out a while. I like having access to the DVD's and/or streams right away instead of having to wait. There are pros and cons to both watching in real time and watching on DVD, but I prefer the latter. It also gives the show a chance to really establish itself, so you know if it's one that you want to invest your time in. I still remember all the late nights a few years ago when I was going through the first four seasons on 24 on DVD...that was a blast! I'm having the same sort of fun this time around with BB :thumbsup:

As was mentioned, Dexter is a great show. I'm still loyal to it, but it has gone down hill from the first few seasons, just like 24 did. Here's my opinion on Dexter.

Season 1 - A ... Awesome concept for a show that was so original to me.

Season 2 - A+ ... The story took a huge leap that was downright intriguing.

Season 3 - C- ... The idea seemed interesting but turned out boring.

Season 4 - B+ ... John Lithgow and the finale made this season worthwhile.

Season 5 - D+ ... Nothing new was really added to the storyline.

Wow, this show has been nearly PERFECT through all of season one, two, and the first half of three. And then this turd they called "Fly" showed up. I'm sure there is some metaphor that the elusive fly represented, or some other high brow crap that some fancy pants screen writer tried to pass off as art, but this episode was absolutely AWFUL. What were they thinking exactly?? :oops:

The first 8 episodes of season three were absolutely AMAZING. I can forgive them this stinker, but I hope they don't pull this again. Loving the angle that Jesse happened to run into the big sister of the kid who put Combo on ice...you can tell something's about to go DOWN IN CHINA TOWN BABY!!!

PS. Enough with Skyler already...this is the most wishy washy biatch ever created for the small screen. Every scene with her in it is a complete waste. Focus on the money players, dammit!

Wow, this show has been nearly PERFECT through all of season one, two, and the first half of three. And then this turd they called "Fly" showed up. I'm sure there is some metaphor that the elusive fly represented, or some other high brow crap that some fancy pants screen writer tried to pass off as art, but this episode was absolutely AWFUL. What were they thinking exactly?? :oops:

The first 8 episodes of season three were absolutely AMAZING. I can forgive them this stinker, but I hope they don't pull this again. Loving the angle that Jesse happened to run into the big sister of the kid who put Combo on ice...you can tell something's about to go DOWN IN CHINA TOWN BABY!!!

PS. Enough with Skyler already...this is the most wishy washy biatch ever created for the small screen. Every scene with her in it is a complete waste. Focus on the money players, dammit!

Bryan Cranston talked about this episode on the Adam Carolla podcast. In the industry, it's called a "Bottle Episode". They try to shoot the entire episode on one set to save money. "Community" even referenced the term once this season. Sometimes the writers get painted into a corner, but Vince Gilligan says that's when they do their best work.

Bryan Cranston talked about this episode on the Adam Carolla podcast. In the industry, it's called a "Bottle Episode". They try to shoot the entire episode on one set to save money. "Community" even referenced the term once this season. Sometimes the writers get painted into a corner, but Vince Gilligan says that's when they do their best work.

Interesting. I can think of a few better names for it than "bottle episode", though lol.

I have seen entire films where they shot it on only one set, and the results have been really impressive. My problem is more with the content. I spent thirty minutes watching Walt try to catch a fly. :unsure:

Interesting. I can think of a few better names for it than "bottle episode", though lol.

I have seen entire films where they shot it on only one set, and the results have been really impressive. My problem is more with the content. I spent thirty minutes watching Walt try to catch a fly. :unsure:

In my previous life, as a nerd, I was a huge Star Trek fan. The term "bottle episode" has been around for ages...some thought that the 3rd (final) season of the original Star Trek series suffered, in comparison to the first two, because almost every episode was a "bottle" episode, as the show, and its' budget, were hanging on by a thread.

As for the "Fly" episode, I kind of thought of it as the "Sopranos" episode of "Breaking Bad". If you watched the "Sopranos", particularly in the final 3 seasons, they would have one or two episodes each season where "nothing happened", but usually serves as some deeper insight to one of the characters. "Fly" kind of gave some insight into Walts sort of obessesive side, something that has served him well in his shady dealings, but might also derail him. I liked it. Also liked the slowly shifting dynamic of Jesse becoming a little wiser, and a little less compulsive...in the later episodes, more and more, it is Jesse who is the voice of reason.

In my previous life, as a nerd, I was a huge Star Trek fan. The term "bottle episode" has been around for ages...some thought that the 3rd (final) season of the original Star Trek series suffered, in comparison to the first two, because almost every episode was a "bottle" episode, as the show, and its' budget, were hanging on by a thread.

As for the "Fly" episode, I kind of thought of it as the "Sopranos" episode of "Breaking Bad". If you watched the "Sopranos", particularly in the final 3 seasons, they would have one or two episodes each season where "nothing happened", but usually serves as some deeper insight to one of the characters. "Fly" kind of gave some insight into Walts sort of obessesive side, something that has served him well in his shady dealings, but might also derail him. I liked it. Also liked the slowly shifting dynamic of Jesse becoming a little wiser, and a little less compulsive...in the later episodes, more and more, it is Jesse who is the voice of reason.

Good points, all. I think it was just SUCH a contrast from what I had been watching since episode one that it struck me as a cop out. I just watched a movie called "Buried" a few weeks ago. The entire damn thing takes place under ground in a casket. That's like a bottle episode to the extreme lol. But the film kept me engaged and, at times, riveted. "Fly" sort of lost me at hello, though.

That being said, the show got immediately back to what it was that I loved so much, and the finale was pretty damn intense. So I'm really looking forward to S4!

• 1 month later...

just finished season 3 of dexter...didn't they could sustain the story line this long. Wasn't too crazy about how quickly they involved Jimmy Smits, but they ended the season in a great way. Can't wait to get into seasons 4 & 5

just finished season 3 of dexter...didn't they could sustain the story line this long. Wasn't too crazy about how quickly they involved Jimmy Smits, but they ended the season in a great way. Can't wait to get into seasons 4 & 5

You're the second person in 3 days that I've run into that mentioned they got into Dexter. Think I might have to add it to my Netflix Instant Queue, along with Merlin, both Battlestar Galactica's, The Revolution, Deadliest Warrior, America the Story of Us, Black Death, and WWII in HD

Edited by /dev/null

i highly recommend at least the first 3 seasons...its pretty awesome.

You're the second person in 3 days that I've run into that mentioned they got into Dexter. Think I might have to add it to my Netflix Instant Queue, along with Merlin, both Battlestar Galactica's, The Revolution, Deadliest Warrior, America the Story of Us, Black Death, and WWII in HD

Breaking Bad is currently my favorite show, and I used to like Dexter a lot, but I had problems with both shows in the later seasons and I wonder if anyone agrees with me.

Warning - Spoilers

In the 3rd season of Breaking Bad, I didn't like how it seemed Walt and Jessie overreacted in certain situations just to make situations seem more dramatic than they should have been. Jessie's use of the word "B word" so often it was getting old. For most of the season he was acting irradic and immature, then toward the end of the season he became the sensable one ("Mr. White, you are not a murderer, go to the cops"). Like a lot of shows, it seems sometimes a person will act out of character just to have a more dramatic effect or just to move the plot along. I also didn't like how Walt overreacted when he got pulled over by the cop because of his windshield early in the season. I guess it was for comedic relief, but still I was hoping the show would stick to a sense of realism. I guess it is because I like the show so much that I hold it to such a high standard and I have such high expectations for it that some of those things bother me. That being said, the final 2 episodes of the season were outstanding and probably the best episodes yet, and I can't wait until the start of the next season.

As for Dexter I loved the first 3 seasons, and the first half of the 4th season, then the show fell apart for me. I loved the John Lithgow character at first, as he seemed complex, but the more you found out about him as the season moved along him he became more of an ordinary villain and less intriguing . The relationship between Batista and LaGuerta, and between Debra and Quinn made it too soap operapy. And Debra and Quinn making love for the first time while getting evidence in Dexter's house after Rita's murder (or was it when they were cleaning the blood from the bathroom...I can't remember), that would never happen with Debra's character, she would have too much respect for the situation to do that.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but I hate when such good shows go downhill. I still love Breaking Bad though.

Edited by Lord Chinfist

Breaking Bad is currently my favorite show, and I used to like Dexter a lot, but I had problems with both shows in the later seasons and I wonder if anyone agrees with me.

Warning - Spoilers

In the 3rd season of Breaking Bad, I didn't like how it seemed Walt and Jessie overreacted in certain situations just to make situations seem more dramatic than they should have been. Jessie's use of the word "B word" so often it was getting old. For most of the season he was acting irradic and immature, then toward the end of the season he became the sensable one ("Mr. White, you are not a murderer, go to the cops"). Like a lot of shows, it seems sometimes a person will act out of character just to have a more dramatic effect or just to move the plot along. I also didn't like how Walt overreacted when he got pulled over by the cop because of his windshield early in the season. I guess it was for comedic relief, but still I was hoping the show would stick to a sense of realism. I guess it is because I like the show so much that I hold it to such a high standard and I have such high expectations for it that some of those things bother me. That being said, the final 2 episodes of the season were outstanding and probably the best episodes yet, and I can't wait until the start of the next season.

I disagree with the above. If you think about how Walt was acting in season 3 as compared to the first 2 seasons, he was a shell of the man he was in those first two seasons. In other words, in the first two seasons, we watched him morph into 'Heisenberg', meth lord and all around bad-ass, who was living out something that didn't even come close to his previous life. In season 3, he does a 180 (until the last 2 episodes) and starts trying to become Walter White again, just trying to rekindle some semblance of normal life so he could be back with his family. However, we clearly saw in seasons 1 and 2 that he really enjoyed being Heisenberg-- it brought excitement into his life and made him feel alive.

I saw the overreaction to the cop as Walt boiling over because of this tension between what he wants on the one hand (being with his family) and how he wants to act on the other (ie, to be bad-ass Heisenberg)-- this is constantly just under the surface throughout season 3, and manifests itself in those last 2 episodes. So, the overreaction to the cop is just misdirected hostility, essentially.

Walt is tense as hell-- his wife hates him, he wants to be with his family, he's trying to stop cooking even though deep down he loves it, etc. So, when this cop comes along and issues him a ticket for a cracked windshield-- just after it was damaged by the airplane disaster, as Walt tried to explain to the cop (ie, Walt believes the cop is being unreasonable by not understanding the extenuating circumstances)-- it's the straw that broke the camel's back. He just couldn't take any more BS, so he lashed out in an unreasonable way.

All of that is a roundabout way of saying, I don't think the scene was for comic relief, but rather a realistic expression of how we often misdirect our simmering anger. In that sense, I thought the scene was very true to life.

I disagree with the above. If you think about how Walt was acting in season 3 as compared to the first 2 seasons, he was a shell of the man he was in those first two seasons. In other words, in the first two seasons, we watched him morph into 'Heisenberg', meth lord and all around bad-ass, who was living out ...

I like your analysis. The comic relief in season 3 was the one scene outside the NA meeting where Badger admits to selling only one 'teenth' and it was to Skinny Pete. And both of them are reluctant to sell to the other folks in the meeting who are trying to get their lives together and - by the way - Skinny Pete is on step 5 and Badger is on step 2.

:P

Warning - Spoilers

As for Dexter I loved the first 3 seasons, and the first half of the 4th season, then the show fell apart for me. I loved the John Lithgow character at first, as he seemed complex, but the more you found out about him as the season moved along him he became more of an ordinary villain and less intriguing . The relationship between Batista and LaGuerta, and between Debra and Quinn made it too soap operapy. And Debra and Quinn making love for the first time while getting evidence in Dexter's house after Rita's murder (or was it when they were cleaning the blood from the bathroom...I can't remember), that would never happen with Debra's character, she would have too much respect for the situation to do that.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but I hate when such good shows go downhill. I still love Breaking Bad though.

I don't agree with your assessment of "Breaking Bad", but I do agree with your thoughts on "Dexter". I think part of what you are referring to, with Walter White, is that he is going through the process of "breaking bad". He has had deep buried rage in him from the begnning of the series (remember the scene where he tells off the bully in the clothing store, who were mimicking his son, or, the awesome scene, where he blows up the care of douche bag on the blue-tooth? Those were early on...). He has always had rage, but now, as his personal life has fallen to ****, he is getting all of his self-worth as a meth maker...and it makes him feel very powerful.

As for "Dexter", I have always had some minor problems with it, but, the first two seasons were very good, if not great in my opinion. I wish the writers didn't feel the urge to tie up every loose end immediately...the tone of the series is a little too "comic book" for my tastes sometimes, but I thought the concept was great...handled with a little more realism, it would be excellent. I hated the 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons. Each one a little more than the last. I found Jimmy Smits' and John Lithgows character to be incredibly one dimensional dimensional. And the fifth season, just suffered from some really bad writing (IMO)...also found the cult leader to be laughably bad...kind of reminded me of Mel Kiper...I thought season 5 started out strong but just got bad. In fact, all the characters, except Dexter perhaps, are just so one dimensional, and cartoon like...it just gets a little old. The LaGuerrta stories are always silly...anyways, liking "Dexter" a little less every season.

I don't agree with your assessment of "Breaking Bad", but I do agree with your thoughts on "Dexter". I think part of what you are referring to, with Walter White, is that he is going through the process of "breaking bad". He has had deep buried rage in him from the begnning of the series (remember the scene where he tells off the bully in the clothing store, who were mimicking his son, or, the awesome scene, where he blows up the care of douche bag on the blue-tooth? Those were early on...). He has always had rage, but now, as his personal life has fallen to ****, he is getting all of his self-worth as a meth maker...and it makes him feel very powerful.

Yep. Walt has had rage issues from the beginning. Hell, even from before the beginning of the series. He was shafted by his business partner and refused a token job there so he could get decent health insurance. That amount of pride is telling of some serious unvented rage (and BTW, I really hope we get some flashbacks as to what exactly happened there). His gift of a pack of Ramen noodles was understood by the guests as a little friendly joke, and even he played it off as such, but I saw that as Walt giving that guy a little slap across the back of the head and a 'remember who and what helped get you here. And you gave me the shaft.' There's also the bottled rage he's had for a long time regarding Walt Jr.'s cerebral palsy. Special needs children induce a lot of stress on parents. I'm not making a judgment call, that's fact. Walt has never blamed Walt Jr. for anything, and yet (and maybe all the more...), the anger that failed to have something to land on is still floating in there. You can get a sense that his son's condition makes him expect more of people who aren't physically handicapped --- directly referencing Jesse's old report card that has in big red ink and capital letters, "(F) APPLY YOURSELF!!!"

As it's said in "Rocky" that anger can heat you up or it can burn you up. Well, at this point, Walt is friggin' engulfed in flames. He's also more than a little neurotic. His loss of control in so many things going on around him makes him seek absolute control over the smallest detail of something he ostensibly does have control over --- his (well... Gus's) lab. But even there, that fly kept getting the best of him. He was risking so much (Jesse standing on a teetering jury-rigged ladder, putting off filling the meth quota) about something that he admitted at the end, mattered very little. These show elements are not there entirely for comedic effect and they're not out of character --- they're defining Walt's character.

I know it's soon but when does S4 start?

.some spoiler alerts, although I kept them kind of vague so if you aren't completely caught up, don't read any further.

OK...completely caught up on Dexter...I agree with what everyone says about the need to tie up every loose end...but hey..it's tv...its what they do....I loved each and every moment(although I do find debra way to frigging weepy)...I was mesmerised waiting to see what debra was going to do at Camp Jordan River....and I was very happy with the end result of Quinn's boot(something about him that i liked and rooted for...felt the same way about Doakes)...

They should be drawn and quartered for what they did to Rita....stop f***ing with hot chicks....NOT COOL!

Cannot wait til the new season of both BB and Dexter