I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing this show pulls off, maybe better than anyting I have seen, is in making the inconsistencies in people seem natural and logical. Aftter Walt talks to Jr, obviously shaken, and resigned to the fact that he destroyed his family while thinking he was saving them, he calls the DEA to surrender...but that chance viewing of the Gray Matter people on the bar televison seems to flip the Heizenberg switch on immediately afterwards...is Walt motivated to do what is best fot his family, or is he motivated by pride? It seems to flip back and forth...

Props to Promo the Robot for, long ago, applying more significance to the Gray Matter situation than I beleived there would ultimately be.

That phone call was Walt throwing his cap over the wall, to use the phrase. He has no intention of surrendering. There are things he wants done before he dies, and only he can do them... with the added emphasis on this season's tag line, "Remember My Name."

In this episode, we're shown a hesitant side to Walt that hasn't been shown since the first couple of eps. He stares out at the icy road to town, what was it? Two or three times? To quote from "The Hunt For Red October": "When Columbus reached the New World, he burned his ships. As a result, his men were well motivated." Gilligan uses it to drive the plot, but there's more. We had just skipped over several months of Walt, after stepping into the vacuum guy's minivan, reverting to being a passenger in his life. Afraid, holing up, cut off, having to pay someone $10K to play cards for an hour for some human contact. He could either stay like that in his ill-fitting long johns in front of the stove, or he can set things in motion to force himself to go out in a blaze and set things right, according to his own mind. I think Walt may rescue Jesse from the AB, but Jesse is in far too deeply to have ANY semblance of a Happily Ever After with Brock. Not going to happen! Jesse will get his, and it may be by his own choice... after getting revenge on the AB.

Seems like so much will happen in one episode.

Where does he get the gun? I would have guessed Saul but he seems to have moved on?

I'm scared that it will wrap up too neatly. I think 2 more episodes would have been enough to get it all out of the way but these writers have never failed to surprise me.

Where does he get the gun?

Now I really have to watch some of the older shows, I am foggy on this one. But IIRC, he get a bag out of a car trunk in that flash forward after he has breakfast on his 52nd birthday. I think he was dealing with the same guy in which he got the hand gun at that motel a while back.

Now I really have to watch some of the older shows, I am foggy on this one. But IIRC, he get a bag out of a car trunk in that flash forward after he has breakfast on his 52nd birthday. I think he was dealing with the same guy in which he got the hand gun at that motel a while back.

Yes he got a bag out of a car trunk but that was in New Hampshire. The guy he bought the gun from in the motel had to be in New Mexico?

Yes he got a bag out of a car trunk but that was in New Hampshire. The guy he bought the gun from in the motel had to be in New Mexico?

ok, found this link with pics. Walt tells the waitress he's from NH, I don't believe there is any mention of where they actually are. Although the episode is titled "Live Free or Die" after the NH state motto, so they very well could be there. In IMDB, Lawson is listed in this episode. Not sure though, reminds me of one of the AB guys...

http://www.theatlant...will-end/68156/

ok, just re-watched. the waitress says "NH, you're a long way from home. How long of a drive is that"...Walt says "about 30 hours if all you stop for is gas". She then asks about Boston, and a hint of Walt appears, he says "great science museum." But then quickly snaps out of it and goes to conduct business. great scene to watch again.

Edited by ricojes

One thing this show pulls off, maybe better than anyting I have seen, is in making the inconsistencies in people seem natural and logical. Aftter Walt talks to Jr, obviously shaken, and resigned to the fact that he destroyed his family while thinking he was saving them, he calls the DEA to surrender...but that chance viewing of the Gray Matter people on the bar televison seems to flip the Heizenberg switch on immediately afterwards...is Walt motivated to do what is best fot his family, or is he motivated by pride? It seems to flip back and forth...

Props to Promo the Robot for, long ago, applying more significance to the Gray Matter situation than I beleived there would ultimately be.

Vince Gilligan is too good a writer to leave such a dangling thread as Grey Matter. It always stuck with me how there was this whole other life Walt had with that other woman before Skylar, the company and the circumstances of his departure. Glad to see it brought back. How many writers introduce a plot point in season 2 only to have it hit home on the finale? Genius.

PTR

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/09/23/breaking-bad-season-5-episode-15/

Oh, but just one more thing: Just in case you believed all that stuff Walt has said about doing it for his family, just in case you thought his ultimate pain was hearing his son set that hundred-grand box of Ensure on fire, our friendly neighbourhood Grey Matter executives are on Charlie Rose setting another torch to his legacy. Being denied his family might be one thing, but being denied his brilliance? That’s too much.

Vince Gilligan is too good a writer to leave such a dangling thread as Grey Matter. It always stuck with me how there was this whole other life Walt had with that other woman before Skylar, the company and the circumstances of his departure. Glad to see it brought back. How many writers introduce a plot point in season 2 only to have it hit home on the finale? Genius.

PTR

He left dangling the pre-US history of Gus Fring, which is unfortunate. I always suspected he was either a son of General Pinochet (who was a Gus... Augusto), a close associate who named him Augusto, or of a war criminal. I guess we'll never know.

Edited by BmoreBills

He left dangling the pre-US history of Gus Fring, which is unfortunate. I always suspected he was either a son of General Pinochet (who was a Gus... Augusto), a close associate who named him Augusto, or of a war criminal. I guess we'll never know.

I think the pre-history of Gus might be told if they go ahead with the Saul spinoff. Considering last night's episode, any Saul spinoff will have to take place prior to or in parallel to the Breaking Bad timeline

I think the pre-history of Gus might be told if they go ahead with the Saul spinoff. Considering last night's episode, any Saul spinoff will have to take place prior to or in parallel to the Breaking Bad timeline

Could be... I still don't know if Better Call Saul will be a comedy or not...

I agree, it was just another amazing sequence of events...Gilligan seems to just have a never ending flow of awesomeness!

I could be proved wrong, but I really took that as the death of Walter White in terms of his duality. I thought it was significant that Walt was almost embarrassed that it was ONLY going to be about 100k, when he "wanted it to be so much more". Saul tells Walt that even Mike, an extremely bright individual, couldn't find a way to get his money to his granddaughter successfully. So Walt, in a weakened state, and realizing that he has a barrel of millions that he can't trust anyone else to deliver once he's gone, makes one last ditch effort to carry out his goal of providing for his family - a mere pittance of the total sum stuffed into Ensure boxes to be sent to one of Walt Jr's friends. And just when he is feeling a glimmer of hope and confidence that his plan could work, and after the first few mins of the conversation with Jr potentially looking fruitful, Jr rejects Walt fully, completely, and permanently, literally yearning for his Dad to just die already.

I'd be very surprised if anything in the finale next week had to do with providing for family, or keeping them safe, or anything like that. That side of Walt is gone and dead. RIP. I think it will be a full 1hr 15min of the Heisenberg show, and I think he has plans to go out in one hell of an impressive manner :ph34r:

We had just skipped over several months of Walt, after stepping into the vacuum guy's minivan, reverting to being a passenger in his life. Afraid, holing up, cut off, having to pay someone $10K to play cards for an hour for some human contact.

When he was offering to pay the guy just to stay with him for a couple hours, I had this vision of Heisenberg sitting off in a dark corner of Walt's brain, shaking his head in disgust while throwing back a shot. Knowing that his fate was tied to that of Walt and that they would both probably expire together in that shack did nothing to curtail his planning and strategizing his next course of action should he get just ONE more chance to take over.

I agree, it was just another amazing sequence of events...Gilligan seems to just have a never ending flow of awesomeness!

I could be proved wrong, but I really took that as the death of Walter White in terms of his duality. I thought it was significant that Walt was almost embarrassed that it was ONLY going to be about 100k, when he "wanted it to be so much more". Saul tells Walt that even Mike, an extremely bright individual, couldn't find a way to get his money to his granddaughter successfully. So Walt, in a weakened state, and realizing that he has a barrel of millions that he can't trust anyone else to deliver once he's gone, makes one last ditch effort to carry out his goal of providing for his family - a mere pittance of the total sum stuffed into Ensure boxes to be sent to one of Walt Jr's friends. And just when he is feeling a glimmer of hope and confidence that his plan could work, and after the first few mins of the conversation with Jr potentially looking fruitful, Jr rejects Walt fully, completely, and permanently, literally yearning for his Dad to just die already.

I'd be very surprised if anything in the finale next week had to do with providing for family, or keeping them safe, or anything like that. That side of Walt is gone and dead. RIP. I think it will be a full 1hr 15min of the Heisenberg show, and I think he has plans to go out in one hell of an impressive manner :ph34r:

When he was offering to pay the guy just to stay with him for a couple hours, I had this vision of Heisenberg sitting off in a dark corner of Walt's brain, shaking his head in disgust while throwing back a shot. Knowing that his fate was tied to that of Walt and that they would both probably expire together in that shack did nothing to curtail his planning and strategizing his next course of action should he get just ONE more chance to take over.

Note the look on Walt's face when he had that shot in the bar. Like seeing an old friend.

PTR

Seems like so much will happen in one episode.

Where does he get the gun? I would have guessed Saul but he seems to have moved on?

I'm scared that it will wrap up too neatly. I think 2 more episodes would have been enough to get it all out of the way but these writers have never failed to surprise me.

From the same guy that sold him the 38 in season 4.

I believe Walt drove the car with New Hampshire plates back to NM to meet his gun guy.

I think that while it may have been an interesting arc, it sufficed simply to know how Fring came into power and why he had such abusive control over Hector Salamanca.

Good call, here.

Mike was my 2nd favorite character. No bouts of depression or whining temper tantrums Just do what needs to be done..

I always looked forward to his character.

Note the look on Walt's face when he had that shot in the bar. Like seeing an old friend.

PTR

Cranston is amazing at that...so many examples of it over the last five years...incredible control over his expressions.