I just started and finished watching Breaking Bad

The Poojer

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I've been avoiding this thread like the plague for the last couple of months (since the final eight episodes began); my wife and I had already decided we would record the final episodes so we wouldn't have to wait a week between each show. We were spoiled by having watched the rest of the series that way earlier this year. In fact, we zipped through the first four and a half seasons so quickly that recently we watched them again to get us prepared for the finale.

So, we finally began (and finished) watching the last eight episodes last week, culminating in the final two on Saturday night. I'm sure I can't add anything prophetic that hasn't already been expressed in these pages, but that was damn near perfect television, and a remarkably satisfying conclusion to a drama we all knew had to end badly.

There were so many perfect moments, and at the end of the day Walt's original "honest" goal -- to provide for his children -- came to fruition. True, Walt Jr. will always hate him, but Skylar now understands the truth ("I did it for me") and that will allow healing.

Best television series I've ever watched. I think I'm going to have to buy that Blu-Ray set and keep this one for posterity. Well done, Gilligan.

One of the things that drive Walter White was recognition for the things he accomplished. Although the fact that his money will likely get to his kids seems like a victory, the family will never know it was him. He will go down vilified and hated by everyone, not exactly a victory. But one that Walt seemed ok with at the end. I'm ok with it too...

Wasn't that how Fring got him back into the game after he initially retired? He mentioned something about how your do it for your family, even if your family hates you for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the first 3 seasons of Boardwalk Empire I really have enjoyed it so far. IMO on par or better than the Sopranos.While overwhelming (you are introduced to over 30 characters in the 1st season) I really like the complex plot and onslaught of characters and it is really rewarding watching each season for a 2nd time.

Now I am catching up with Mad Men. Started season 1 yesterday (like 7 episodes in) and I felt letdown and underwhelmed so far. I am not "getting" the hype with this show although it seems to be getting a bit better after episode 5.

To me thus far Breaking Bad and Boardwalk are far superior shows...I will stick with it and hope it gets better.

my issue with boardwalk empire, and i have been advised to pick it back up, is that it seems very contrived. Seems like a cross between The Godfather epic and Hello Dolly, and Hello Dolly is more prominent. It just seemed as though they were trying TOO hard to make you believe it was a period piece. I know that sounds weird because it is a period piece, but i cannot get past the feeling i am watching a broadway musical in most of the crowd scenes, specifically.

Watched the first 3 seasons of Boardwalk Empire I really have enjoyed it so far. IMO on par or better than the Sopranos.While overwhelming (you are introduced to over 30 characters in the 1st season) I really like the complex plot and onslaught of characters and it is really rewarding watching each season for a 2nd time.

Now I am catching up with Mad Men. Started season 1 yesterday (like 7 episodes in) and I felt letdown and underwhelmed so far. I am not "getting" the hype with this show although it seems to be getting a bit better after episode 5.

To me thus far Breaking Bad and Boardwalk are far superior shows...I will stick with it and hope it gets better.

my issue with boardwalk empire, and i have been advised to pick it back up, is that it seems very contrived. Seems like a cross between The Godfather epic and Hello Dolly, and Hello Dolly is more prominent. It just seemed as though they were trying TOO hard to make you believe it was a period piece. I know that sounds weird because it is a period piece, but i cannot get past the feeling i am watching a broadway musical in most of the crowd scenes, specifically.

Pooj- remember, Boardwalk takes place in Atlantic City, which at the time, would have been kind of like we think of Vegas nowadays...kind of a fake glamour and glitz...a bit contrived, like you say. I think it really is a pretty great show, though, I will confess, the first season in particular, I had a hard time getting into it...would watch one episode live, let them pile up on the DVR, and watch one or two here and there...I never got into the flow...however, I really think it hit its' stride late in that first season...I went back and watched them, in pretty rapid succession and it was so much better. I think you are correct, particularly early on, they spent a lot of time trying to set up the vibe of the location and the times, as opposed to engaging you in the storyline. In retrospect, a lot did actually happen in those early episodes, it just took a while for those things to become relevant. I think the 2nd and 3rd seasons were awesome... Edited by Buftex