Who is Blaine Gabbert anyway?

I saw him against Iowa and Nebraska. Other than an incredible amount of yards in the Iowa game, over 450, it was a lot of dink and dunk. Not impressed

When the Bills pass on this guy and he turns out to be awesome, I will re-visit this thread.

OK once again I DO NOT CARE ABOUT HIS HAIR. I'd go crazy if we had Tom Brady cuz he has skill and uses herbel essence hell I want Troy Palumalu wit all his pert plus glory LOL in a Bills uniform. So cut the smack wit the hair talk. All im saying is when have you seen him go out and GET the yards his team needed? What game? What QTR? When have you seen him get hit so hard he had to pick himself up off the ground and get back to the huddle? Show me some tape. He's the type thats not gonna do it he'll panic thats all im saying. He's not a competitor I can't be anymore clear than that...

When have you seen him get hit so hard he had to pick himself up off the ground and get back to the huddle? Show me some tape.

Good enough?

You try to finish the game after taking a hit like that... don't question this guys toughness.

Edited by Mr. Negative

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw him against Iowa and Nebraska. Other than an incredible amount of yards in the Iowa game, over 450, it was a lot of dink and dunk. Not impressed

I would argue the 450 yards in the Iowa game was a lot of the spread offense scheme, which opens up guys close to the line of scrimmage. He had a few shots down the field in tight spots and hit them. I was pretty impressed. One interception hit his own guy right between the numbers in the endzone, was dropped and picked off. The other was a bad decision. I commented after the game that if you give him protection, I think he can make the big throws. If you draft him, he sits for one year and could pay off big in year 2-3. Not a day one starter. I'd say he looks like a mobile version of Drew Bledsoe, minus one notch on the arm and a little more raw.

When the Bills pass on this guy and he turns out to be awesome, I will re-visit this thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=naqxF7TlQWc

You try to finish the game after taking a hit like that... don't question this guys toughness.

Beat me to it. Was about to post a similar video.

And to add to that - Gabbert was pretty injured in that play, and ended up playing the next few weeks with sprained ligaments in his right ankle, unable to plant on his right foot.

In addition, I can't find a SINGLE scouting report that says that BG isn't a leader / lacks toughness, etc...

Random scouting reports saying as much here:

http://thefootballexpert.com/scouting-reports/blaine-gabbert-qb-missouri.html

http://proprospects.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/blaine-gabbert-scouting-report/

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/4/20/2121741/blaine-gabbert-scouting-report-2011-nfl-draft

Edited by Mr. ChumChums

He's a smart player with all the physical skill to be a good pro. He mobile and has the arm to make all the throws.

Who does this sound like? Rob Johnson or Steve Pelleaur.

If I take a QB at #3, I need a guy who has already had great success at the college level. Not a guy that's the right size and has a strong arm etc.

This goes for WHOEVER we take. I don't want a project at 3. Cam and Blaine sound like projects to me.

Disagree, Gabbert wasn't spoken about before he declared because no one expected him to. After his declaration he was touted as a high to mid 1st round pick who, like Bradford last year, has worked his way up the board due to positional value and workouts.

What do you have to base his leadership abilities on? Looks?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630777

I'm would disagree. Sam Bradford was a big name talked up for the 2 years prior to him being drafted. He was even discussed as the top QB before he went back for his senior year.

That was his biggest problem in school. He doesn't have accuracy on his deep balls. He was also barely mentioned by anyone until AFTER the CFB season was over. Yes he has height, good arm, and smarts. But he consistently checked down. Bradford was much more accurate with ALL the throws, not just short to intermediate routes. Even Stafford to some degree. I think Gabbe rt is an impressive athlete, but not an impressive QB

+1

He has all the tools. Just doesn't seem to me that he knows how to use them. I was looking up his game logs and one game stuck out in particular was the Texas Tech game. I don't have the exact numbers but I know his completion percentage was aroun 40 percent for the game. That's just plain awful against one of the worst Defenses in the country. I don't care who has to throw to...

youtube.com/watch?v=naqxF7TlQWc

When have you seen him get hit so hard he had to pick himself up off the ground and get back to the huddle? Show me some tape.

Good enough?

C'mon that wasn't the kind of hit im talkin bout. Thats a normal QB hit, It was a good one but he got rolled up. I meant like the locker hit in the bowl game, the Cam hit bowers put on, hell even the hit leftwich took when his linemen carried him down the field. Not a regular hit a QB needs to take... Until you show me one them hits he gets no respect... Cam, Taylor, Locker, Ponder ive seen take hits not Blaine... Sorry my friend...

C'mon that wasn't the kind of hit im talkin bout. Thats a normal QB hit, It was a good one but he got rolled up. I meant like the locker hit in the bowl game, the Cam hit bowers put on, hell even the hit leftwich took when his linemen carried him down the field. Not a regular hit a QB needs to take... Until you show me one them hits he gets no respect... Cam, Taylor, Locker, Ponder ive seen take hits not Blaine... Sorry my friend...

So having 2 ligaments sprained in the right foot on which you PLANT on as a QB isn't enough evidence of a big hit? Sure, it looks like he just got rolled on by Suh, but some of the worst hits come from that. LT's hit on Joe Theisman, which damn near snapped his leg in 2 (and prominently ending his career) was a similar type of hit.

Gabbert ended up finishing the game and the next few weeks with that injury on his planting foot, so you have no grounds at all for claiming he's never taken a big hit, and not tried to will his team to victory around him.

Sam Bradford played for OKLAHOMA his stats were INFLATED. Gabbert played at Missouri with no talent around him. Then we got some dude questioning his toughness because of his hair?? lol. Suh nearly ripped gabberts leg off and he finished the game. Hes tougher than Jay Cutler will ever be.

Lots of people's stats were inflated, apparently. He was 5th in the Big 12 in yards last year, (25th nationally), 5th in TD passes (in the lower half nationally, 50th something), and a whopping 8th in the Big 12 in passing efficiency (64th nationally). 3 other QB's in the Big 12 threw more than twice the TD passes as him.

So your argument is that everyone else's stats are inflated and/or at least everyone else has better weapons.

So much for a QB actually making his team better.

If you watch him play, it is easy to understand why. He doesn't handle pocket pressure well, he rushes this throws too many times and misses. Hence, the 44% completion percentage on 3rd down.

That's a fair assessment. However, I don't think we'll play him too early. That's what we have Fitz around for. Buddy Nix even said that he HOPES they land in the same situation that they had in San Diego, with Drew Brees and Philip Rivers on the roster. That's the ideal / best case scenario for everyone.

And yeah, if he doesn't play well, then we'll be making excuses for him. However, we'll do that with any of our QB's, because as Bills fans, we're always hopeful that the guy on our squad is "the guy."

I personally don't think that he'll fail - I think he'll end up being a great pro, hopefully even better.

To your other points, you're right. It's not fair to compare Blaine Gabbert to Sam Bradford. Bradford was a special talent, so any REAL comparison will make BG seem much worse. This is partially my fault, as I was one of the ones that brought up Bradford's name in comparison, so I'll give you a point there.

However, the main reason I brought up Bradford was in comparison to their offensive systems. They were different, but there are similar points. They both ran the spread - they both occasionally took snaps from under center - they both ran relatively complex systems that placed a lot of responsibility on the QB to make calls / audibles / line adjustments. The last point is the most important, I think, and shows that he can probably make the transition into the NFL rather successfully.

I'm not as worried as most about what system he played in. Frankly, I think he might be better in a pro style offense, where he has a chance to get his feet set, and isn't worried about getting rid of the ball in 1.25 seconds.

But watching him play when he's rushed....I'm not willing to take that chance, not at No. 3 anyways. Too jittery in the pocket for my tastes, especially with knowledge of how serious Buffalo has been with protecting the QB. He's going to have lots and lots of pocket pressure with the Bills, as long as they keep getting half their line off the waiver wire.

Having read through this discussion, one thing I haven't heard is that he's an exceptionally accurate passer. Smart, a good athlete, a good leader, runs a complex offense, tough, etc. But not particularly accurate (at least not from what people are claiming).

Someone mentioned dink and dunk. I can live with dink and dunk, as long as a) the QB is very accurate and consistently accurate, and b) as long as there are some intermediate and deep throws in the mix. A lot of what Joe Montana did with the 49ers could be described as dink and dunk. But it worked because of Montana's exceptional accuracy, and because the 49ers' offense could punish you with intermediate and deep throws if you over-committed to stopping the short passing game. Dink and dunk can be forgiven; a lack of accuracy cannot be.

If the Bills want a tough quarterback, a good leader, a smart QB who processes information quickly, but who isn't particularly accurate, they don't need to draft anyone. They have that already in the form of Fitz.

Does Gabbert have exceptional accuracy that (for whatever reason) isn't being mentioned in this discussion? Or is his accuracy so-so? If the former, it sounds like he has serious potential to justify being chosen third overall. But if the latter, the Bills should not consider taking him before round 2.

AHHHH nevermind i've explained myself 4 times.. We can just leave it as I think Gabbert blows i'd take everybody else over him... And you'd take Gabbert..

Let's not presume that "[i'd] take Gabbert." You actually quoted me saying that I am not sure how I feel about the Bills drafting him.

My question to wasn't meant as an attack on your opinions, nor was it in defense of Gabbert. Instead, I was just wondering where the "surfer" comments came from? I know you don't think he'll do well, and you'd prefer another player, but that's not what I was wondering. Call it curiosity.

Edited by NickelCity

I'm would disagree. Sam Bradford was a big name talked up for the 2 years prior to him being drafted. He was even discussed as the top QB before he went back for his senior year.

Which was prior to his injury. Pre combine and pro days he was viewed as a mid 1st rounder.

Article from February 25th:

"On the basis of what I've talked to people around the league [about], everything I've heard," Schefter said on a St. Louis ESPN radio spot. "And at some point, it's gonna shift to this guy, and I don't know whether it'll be now or late March."

He also stated that he has yet to talk to anyone inside of the Rams headquarters, but he would take any and all bets on this prediction right now.

Even though the draft is still two months away, Schefter's ability to find and locate insider information may be better than any other sports broadcaster in the business.

Schefter also took a friendly shot at fellow ESPN colleagues Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay for not even including Bradford in their top five.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/352539-2010-nfl-draft-espns-adam-schefter-confident-sam-bradford-is-no-1

AHHHH nevermind i've explained myself 4 times.. We can just leave it as I think Gabbert blows i'd take everybody else over him... And you'd take Gabbert..

I think the problem is that no one can understand what you're talking about. I'm not sure what showing him taking a hit proves, but here's a shot he took in the game against Nebraska, at which point Missouri was ranked 6th in the nation, unfortunately for Missouri they got whooped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfYxKRR2Wl4

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I'm on the Gabbert bandwagon. Jus by watching Grudens QB Camp you can tell this kid has the right attitude to play for the Bills. In addition to that, whatever quarterback we pick will have to learn under fitz, and I think that Gabbert would be much more willing and accepting of Fitzs advance compared to Newton. Not to mention Gabbert has a more identical skill set to Fitz than Newton does.

here's a shot he took in the game against Nebraska, at which point Missouri was ranked 6th in the nation, unfortunately for Missouri they got whooped:

youtube.com/watch?v=NfYxKRR2Wl4

This looks exactly like several of the shots Fitz took this year. Not as bad though as the one that ended Trent's confidence though (per TBD legend).

I was a bit skeptical of drafting a QB at #3, with all our other needs, not to mention having a productive starter in Fitz. However I am completely sold, and hope Gabbert is the pick come April 28th. Heres why:

Gabbert has a strong arm, accurate, good athlete, produced in college, smart, and prototypical size. His one flaw is he played the spread and wasnt under center. Man, ill take that flaw over any other flaw. No other QB matches up with him. You have to admit it. Newton too raw, more of a runner and a one year wonder. Locker, no accuracy. Dalton, Ponder, Kaepernick, a step down. Everyone on this board has to forget the QB they are in love with, and compare their abilities with Gabberts. He wins. Hes the franchise QB if this draft has one. And we all have to agree, cant pass up on a franchise QB.

He will also be much like the Spiller pick since fitz produced and has a year left, Gabbert can sit a year and learn. Perfect.

Plus, with this being such a deep draft defensively, we can still find good defensive players later. And lets be optimistic bills fans, the second half of the year we were much more competitive, i think it took gailey time to shake the rust off. We can definately be an 8-8 team next yr with a few changes, and then hand the keys over to Gabbert.

I really hope Carolina stands by Clausen, and Denver stands by Tebow. I really hope Gabbert falls to us. Who else is out there with me?

GO BILLS

There's one other thing - he doesn't hold in the pocket he get's ansy when there's the slightest bit of pressure , & i've heard comparisons to J.P. Losman & that scares me although i think J.P. with Chan at the helm would have a much better chance of having a decent career than he did under either coach he worked for while with the Bills !!!!

There's one other thing - he doesn't hold in the pocket he get's ansy when there's the slightest bit of pressure , & i've heard comparisons to J.P. Losman & that scares me although i think J.P. with Chan at the helm would have a much better chance of having a decent career than he did under either coach he worked for while with the Bills !!!!

Show me one example where hes been compared to JP

I might not be completely on board the Gabbert train but the comparisons to JP begin and end with their ability to scramble.......

Gabbert has a very good intermediate accurate passing game that Losman NEVER had.....had Losman been horribly inconsistant the throws to WR's feet was maddening he would still be a Bill today

The more time that goes on....the more I think it is going to be hard to screw up this pick....I am a Von Miller guy.......but I could totally understand the bills deciding that there will be good defensive talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (plus the signing of Merrimen, the return of Batten, and the emergence of Moates) where they just decide in the end to go with a QB to sit the bench.....I think there are like 4 to 5 QBs in this draft that are going to be good.......Gabbert could well end up being great.

I think that the Bills are fixing the lines.....and you have to let those guys play to get better. And I love Fitz.......but the point about needing an understudy is valid.

2 years ago.....Wood and Levitre, Bell already a fixture, we need to make sure RG and RT are solidified (although I give the Bills credit for using their low status to bring guys in.....I actually like Urbik....Pears I need to see more of

1 year ago......Carrington and Troup.....we HAVE to let these guys play we cant just keep drafting replacements and hopeing that they are better then the previous years replacements when they didnt get their chance. I am very high on both Troup and Carrington.

Now......all bets are off if Darius is on the board.....he is a monster.....and as I said I am a Von Miller fan......but I get drafting a QB...I really do

but I get drafting a QB...I really do

I get drafting a QB too. But we should follow Buddy Nix advice where he says if you go for need, the guy better be good, or you've wasted about 5 years (see JP Losman). I just don't think any QB in the draft this year is that guy. Pass. Get the Best Player Available (that's not a DB or RB) and find a QB later. IMHO

Edited by reddogblitz

Yeh, I have been on with the Gabbert pick for quite some time. A little hazy now and then but always coming back to it. If I could tell you why with certainty maybe I would have a job in the Bills draft room. Just got a good feeling for a Gabbert pick. I like smart. I am happy to sit back and watch the mystery unfold.

I get drafting a QB too. But we should follow Buddy Nix advice where he says if you go for need, the guy better be good, or you've wasted about 5 years (see JP Losman). I just don't think any QB in the draft this year is that guy. Pass. Get the Best Player Available (that's not a DB or RB) and find a QB later. IMHO

I really like Gabbert, but how many years are we gonna waste first round picks on guys who don't immediately contribute, and I mean CONTRIBUTE, not CJ Spiller and Aaron Maybin contribute, but real contribution.

Can't make picks like that and continue to expect the playoffs, it won't happen. You have to draft immediate need at 3...

i think it took gailey time to shake the rust off. We can definately be an 8-8 team next yr with a few changes, and then hand the keys over to Gabbert.

GO BILLS

The problem is that with only two seasons of experience as a starter in college and then he would be asked to not only learn the pro game, but to do so with us being what I see as two starters short of adequacy on D (OLB and DE) and also a player and a half short of adequacy on the OL (RT and a swing guy who allows us to make a replacement without missing a bear- plus the OL will need a year of building chemistry before it is merely adequate). Its a longshot for any player not meriting a 3rd round or better choice to be starting talent. The primary way we build an adequate team through the draft is time or by trading down to get more 1st-3rd picks.

Even worse begin to see in your post the drumbeat already starting for Gabbert to play and produce next year.

Hr needs (at least) two years sitting on the bench and learning practice before he can likely be productive.

If we do take Gabbert critical to his development will be Gailey showing the discipline and the rookies skill building skills to resist the whines of WGR, Sully and a small buy vocal part of the fan base not to start him at all next year.

I doubt we will see that and just as the Bills have ruined a bunch of young QBs over the last 12 years, my guess is they add Gabbert to that collection if we draft him at #3.

I was a bit skeptical of drafting a QB at #3, with all our other needs, not to mention having a productive starter in Fitz. However I am completely sold, and hope Gabbert is the pick come April 28th. Heres why:

Gabbert has a strong arm, accurate, good athlete, produced in college, smart, and prototypical size. His one flaw is he played the spread and wasnt under center. Man, ill take that flaw over any other flaw. No other QB matches up with him. You have to admit it. Newton too raw, more of a runner and a one year wonder. Locker, no accuracy. Dalton, Ponder, Kaepernick, a step down. Everyone on this board has to forget the QB they are in love with, and compare their abilities with Gabberts. He wins. Hes the franchise QB if this draft has one. And we all have to agree, cant pass up on a franchise QB.

He will also be much like the Spiller pick since fitz produced and has a year left, Gabbert can sit a year and learn. Perfect.

Plus, with this being such a deep draft defensively, we can still find good defensive players later. And lets be optimistic bills fans, the second half of the year we were much more competitive, i think it took gailey time to shake the rust off. We can definately be an 8-8 team next yr with a few changes, and then hand the keys over to Gabbert.

I really hope Carolina stands by Clausen, and Denver stands by Tebow. I really hope Gabbert falls to us. Who else is out there with me?

GO BILLS

Thanks for joining the Gabbert band wagon and he will be wearing 11 for us. However he is not a Spiller pick as drafting Spiller would be like drafting Gabbert when you have Matt Ryan and Tony Romo. Drafting Spiller was a colossal mistake when He wasn't a complete back and we had two good starters already. That pick should have gone to Bulaga and we wouldn't have to worry about RT in this draft :wallbash: .

Cocaine is a hell of a drug...

More like heroin.

I really like Gabbert, but how many years are we gonna waste first round picks on guys who don't immediately contribute, and I mean CONTRIBUTE, not CJ Spiller and Aaron Maybin contribute, but real contribution.

Can't make picks like that and continue to expect the playoffs, it won't happen. You have to draft immediate need at 3...

Franchise QB trumps all, we can still get contributors in the second and beyoned; Reed, Rudolph, Cannon, Acho, Paea, McCarthy, etc.

GO BILLS

:worthy:

I am absolutely with you on Gabbert at number 3. I'll take Newton there if the Panthers decide to go with Gabbert at 1. Plus, I agree that both Clausen and Tebow deserve more time to see if they can become the franchise QB's of their teams.

Without greatly improving our defense and offensive line, it won't matter who the QB is. Especially if he's a rook. Fix the lines. We got a QB.

That is certainly one valid way to go. But it would really suck if both Newton and Gabbert, or either one of them, were passed up by the Bills at 3, and then they both go on to become Pro Bowl QB's for other teams while Fitzy never takes the Bills as far as some believe he can during those same years! Of course the Bills can luck out with another QB in this draft, and he may turn out just as good or even better then Newton or Gabbert down the line. But it still worries me that the Bills will probably pass up on one of the two best rated QB's in a draft where they pick high enough to draft one of them. Certainly, none of us think they will or want them to finish bad enough to be drafting this high again anytime soon!

It has been 15 years since their last franchise QB retired, and it seems that there are few of us left on this board, that remember how much Jimbo meant to the team during his Hall of Fame career!

GO BILLS

You need to dig just a little bit deeper past the great white hype machine...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=gabbert+pressure&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

It's a none too well kept secret that Gabbert has the pocket presence of our last two franchise QBs, Losman and Edwards. The Bill will thankfully pass on him, he'll be drafted by the 49ers who'll eventually find out that it's a very bad thing to have a "franchise" QB with happy feet.

I was with your line of thinking until yesterday. I was able to talk to Jim Miller on Sirius NFL radio. His opinion is that Bills brass thinks Gabbert does not bring anything more the Fitz. Arm strength, intelligence, mobility. He thinks that is why they'll wait on QB. I'm now thinking D the first few rounds and grab Tyrod Tayler out of VT in the later rounds.

If we take Gabbert then it’s pretty obvious that Buddy Chan in planning on him being our Franchise QB. In that case I do not want him sitting on the bench for a year “learning” behind Fitz. I want him starting from day 1 of training camp. You can only learn one third of the game from watching on the sideline. Maybe one half if you are an optimist. The rest needs to be learned in game action. Play the kid from day 1 and see what he’s got. If he struggles like hell then pull him for a few weeks in and let him watch from the sideline – that’s how you learn something, struggle through it, sit a few plays out and see what the coach is saying, then go back in a much better player after the game has slowed down for you a bit.

I would understand if Newton or Kaepernack were held out for a while because I don’t believe they could even call a play in the huddle, but Gabbert or Dalton or Ponder, they should start day 1 no questions asked.