Who is Blaine Gabbert anyway?

I watch a decent amount of CFB and I had obviously seen and heard of Newton, Locker, even Dalton and Ponder. All of a sudden the end of the NFL season comes around and everyone is talking about Gabbert. I think he is an agent and media creation. Is he even good? I'm genuinely asking the SW groups opinion here. Has anyone seen him play? Is he better than Newton as some suggest? I just don't think there is a surefire QB in the draft at 3. And if Newton is 1 I sure as sh-t don't want Bliane Gabbert

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The perfect example of this pre-draft QB hype is Claussen. Last year at this time the media was ready to make him & Tebow grand marshalls in the NFL parade. Now his team is picking #1 & there's lots of Panther QB talk. It's nuts! IMHO, We need to shore up our defense & not even think about a QB the first two rounds.

I watch a decent amount of CFB and I had obviously seen and heard of Newton, Locker, even Dalton and Ponder. All of a sudden the end of the NFL season comes around and everyone is talking about Gabbert. I think he is an agent and media creation. Is he even good? I'm genuinely asking the SW groups opinion here. Has anyone seen him play? Is he better than Newton as some suggest? I just don't think there is a surefire QB in the draft at 3. And if Newton is 1 I sure as sh-t don't want Bliane Gabbert

Gabbert was a consensus 2nd round pick at the end of the college football season. He catapulted to 1st round status when Luck decided to stay in school. I can't understand how you can make a jump from the 2nd to 1st round (maybe first overall) without taking a snap. Theres a lot of PR going on here.....buyer beware. I would go with any of the above QB's before Gabbert. I don't think the Bills will be that foolish but I wouldn't put anything past them.

Edited by VADC Bills

The perfect example of this pre-draft QB hype is Claussen. Last year at this time the media was ready to make him & Tebow grand marshalls in the NFL parade. Now his team is picking #1 & there's lots of Panther QB talk. It's nuts! IMHO, We need to shore up our defense & not even think about a QB the first two rounds.

Actually, Clausen was outstanding as a senior at ND, pretty much single handedly leading a terrible team to most of its wins, so he was pretty high profile all along. I think a much better comparison would be J Russell, who really wasn't on anyones radar until the bowl game where a loaded LSU team pounded a badly overmatched ND defense.

I honestly think that both of these guys will suck this year. Newton I hear is always late to meetings and he has a poor work ethic. And who is Gabbert really? Brad Smith had a better college career than Gabbert did. My thought is to go with the safer pick in a DL or even Miller. We don't want to be set back another 10 years do we? I think Fitz can take us to the playoffs. I think Fitz is just as good as Sanchez and better then Kolb. Getting Ponder in the second round would be great. The guy played in a pro style offence! And he played with Chan in the Sr. Bowl. What do you think?

His value is so high because people recognize the importance of elite-level quarterback play to NFL teams. You can take your pick from a grab bag of a dozen 300+ pound fat guys, pass rushing linebackers, or speedy receivers, but nobody comes close to equaling the impact of an elite-level quarterback. The teams that have them contend for the championships each and every year, while those without hope for a fluke playoff bid in between 7-9 seasons.

The question always comes down to whether your franchise is willing to take the risk of looking foolish by selecting a quarterback that doesn't become elite.

Those franchises that are scared of looking foolish are those that rebuild to 7-9 year in and year out.

Will Gabbert be an elite NFL quarterback? Unlikely. It's always unlikely. But it happens. Same with Cam Newton.

Take a chance and fail, or look the other way and languish in mediocrity.

Gabbert was a consensus 2nd round pick at the end of the college football season. He catapulted to 1st round status when Luck decided to stay in school. I can't understand how you can make a jump from the 2nd to 1st round (maybe first overall) without taking a snap. Theres a lot of PR going on here.....buyer beware. I would go with any of the above QB's before Gabbert. I don't think the Bills will be that foolish but I wouldn't put anything past them.

I saw gabbert listed as a possible 1st round pick by many publications at the end of the year, leading all the way back to the end of the previous season. I hears about him as a senior in HS. Maybe you should watch more football?

Actually, Clausen was outstanding as a senior at ND, pretty much single handedly leading a terrible team to most of its wins, so he was pretty high profile all along. I think a much better comparison would be J Russell, who really wasn't on anyones radar until the bowl game where a loaded LSU team pounded a badly overmatched ND defense.

True...THX...but my most accounts he was terrible last yr. Which is why the Panthers might have already given up on him this soon, and may take Gabbert or Newton with their #1 pick... possibly thinking trade down the road.

True...THX...but my most accounts he was terrible last yr. Which is why the Panthers might have already given up on him this soon, and may take Gabbert or Newton with their #1 pick... possibly thinking trade down the road.

No argument that Clausen has not yet shown he can transfer to the pro game (I was not in favor of the Bills drafting him), but I'd be surprised if the Panthers completely pulled the plug on him. That was a horrible team and an almost impossible spot for a rookie QB. Still, I hope they spend a pick on a QB and leave the top D players for the Bills.

I honestly think that both of these guys will suck this year. Newton I hear is always late to meetings and he has a poor work ethic. And who is Gabbert really? Brad Smith had a better college career than Gabbert did. My thought is to go with the safer pick in a DL or even Miller. We don't want to be set back another 10 years do we? I think Fitz can take us to the playoffs. I think Fitz is just as good as Sanchez and better then Kolb. Getting Ponder in the second round would be great. The guy played in a pro style offence! And he played with Chan in the Sr. Bowl. What do you think?

If Fitz is the answer(I disagree), why do you want to spend a 2nd round pick on Ponder when there are so many other areas of need? :oops:

Where did you hear that Newton is always late to meetings and has a poor work ethic?

No argument that Clausen has not yet shown he can transfer to the pro game (I was not in favor of the Bills drafting him), but I'd be surprised if the Panthers completely pulled the plug on him. That was a horrible team and an almost impossible spot for a rookie QB. Still, I hope they spend a pick on a QB and leave the top D players for the Bills.

Bradford didn't have much more to work with than Claussen, yet he turned the Rams around. The gap in their pre-draft hype wasn't nearly as large as their on-field performance gap last yr. Bradford was the only sure pick QB in the draft last year...& I just don't see a sure pick this year at QB...which is why I agree with you...time to shore up our D.

2 questions...

1. Who said Newton is late to meetings and had poor work ethic?

2. Why is it ok that you say Fitz can take us to the playoff but not all the way? I thought the point was to win a super bowl?

Nobody is ever a sure thing in a draft its who you trust and who you don't... I can name plenty of sure fire players coming out the were duds.

I saw gabbert listed as a possible 1st round pick by many publications at the end of the year, leading all the way back to the end of the previous season. I hears about him as a senior in HS. Maybe you should watch more football?

Possible first round pick and people saying Gabbert is the first pick in the draft are two very different opinions.

Possible is what folks are saying about Ponder and Locker. They aren't going number one in the draft and very

likely could be picked in 2nd round. Gabbert is a good player, but he doesn't stand out when you watch his games.

Definitely not a guy you look at and say he's the best player in the country. Not by far.

Edited by purple haze

Gabbert is a media creation. All these talking heads have convinced NFL scouts that he is actually good... fools.

I'm really hoping this is sarcasm b/c it's the best use of sarcasm I've seen in awhile. The thought of an NFL scout changing their opinion based on PTI or Mike and Mike is classic. Just think, teams could save hundreds of thousands of dollars by firing their scouting department and signing up for satellite radio.

I'm with you man. I don't get it either.