Who is Blaine Gabbert anyway?

If Luck came out all the talk would be Luck and Newton. Gabbert would be a late first round afterthought likely lumped in with the Ponders, Kapernicks, Lockers and Mallets of the class.

That's completely false...It was the NFL Draft Advisory Committee-thing that made Gabbert's choice to come out an easy one...He would still be thought of as a Top 10 QB and Cincy would be REAL happy right now... B-)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lets assume Cam Newton goes to Carolina at 1. Dareus goes to Denver at 2.

If the Bills pass on Blaine Gabbert and he goes #4 or #5, how furious would you be if he became a 10 year franchise QB for the Bengals or Cardinals. How bad would you feel if the Bills took Von Miller and he turned out to be a bust? I think you will feel a lot worse of not drafting that franchise QB than a LB turning out to be a bust.

Miller doesn't have to bust to necessarily make you feel terrible about passing on Gabbert. Jake Long is going to be the franchise LT for the Dolphins for years. He's already been to 3 Pro Bowls. But there's no question that Matt Ryan's impact on the Falcons is much greater than Long's for the Dolphin's. Finding a franchise QB changes everything.

Miller doesn't have to bust to necessarily make you feel terrible about passing on Gabbert. Jake Long is going to be the franchise LT for the Dolphins for years. He's already been to 3 Pro Bowls. But there's no question that Matt Ryan's impact on the Falcons is much greater than Long's for the Dolphin's. Finding a franchise QB changes everything.

Exactly...

It's SO hard for some Bills Fans to grasp this because we have Drafted SO poorly and have so many needs it's really insane...But if you're going to gamble do it at the QB Position...Because you're gambling on greatness...Von Miller could become a Pro Bowl Player and still not have close to the impact Gabbert would have IF he became a Top 10 NFL QB (and I know that's a BIG if)...It's like a free ticket to the Playoffs 4 out of every 5 years...QB is King...That's all there is to it... B-)

I would have loved to see Blaine chuck it deep to Jeremy Maclin.

That was his biggest problem in school. He doesn't have accuracy on his deep balls. He was also barely mentioned by anyone until AFTER the CFB season was over. Yes he has height, good arm, and smarts. But he consistently checked down. Bradford was much more accurate with ALL the throws, not just short to intermediate routes. Even Stafford to some degree. I think Gabbert is an impressive athlete, but not an impressive QB

That was his biggest problem in school. He doesn't have accuracy on his deep balls. He was also barely mentioned by anyone until AFTER the CFB season was over. Yes he has height, good arm, and smarts. But he consistently checked down. Bradford was much more accurate with ALL the throws, not just short to intermediate routes. Even Stafford to some degree. I think Gabbert is an impressive athlete, but not an impressive QB

If you can dig up some archives I mentioned Gabbert 2 years ago as being a possiblity for the Bills.

I never turn my back on the Bills but if they drafted Gabbert I'd be highly dissapointed like sick to my stomach. He has nothing to offer this team I don't trust he leadership or his skills at all. Cam, Tyrod Taylor, Mallet and Locker have more leadership quailties about them. Blaine seems like a surfer dude that as soon as Ray Lewis hits him in the mouth he'd start whining instead of getting up. Just look at him he looks like he lacks heart, Its trent edwards all over again I hope we don't draft this no name QB...

I never turn my back on the Bills but if they drafted Gabbert I'd be highly dissapointed like sick to my stomach. He has nothing to offer this team I don't trust he leadership or his skills at all. Cam, Tyrod Taylor, Mallet and Locker have more leadership quailties about them. Blaine seems like a surfer dude that as soon as Ray Lewis hits him in the mouth he'd start whining instead of getting up. Just look at him he looks like he lacks heart, Its trent edwards all over again I hope we don't draft this no name QB...

So you're basing your entire opinion of his ability to QB... on his hair?

If Luck came out all the talk would be Luck and Newton. Gabbert would be a late first round afterthought likely lumped in with the Ponders, Kapernicks, Lockers and Mallets of the class.

Disagree, Gabbert wasn't spoken about before he declared because no one expected him to. After his declaration he was touted as a high to mid 1st round pick who, like Bradford last year, has worked his way up the board due to positional value and workouts.

What do you have to base his leadership abilities on? Looks?

Intangibles: Respected leader in the locker room. Has the confidence to win over the huddle. Willing to put in the time in the film room to master the offense. Very competitive, gives full effort on the field.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630777

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

He's a smart player with all the physical skill to be a good pro. He mobile and has the arm to make all the throws.

He comes from a spread system but has played under center and has played in an offense that features many NFL throws.

Basically hes a good prospect. I think he is a safe QB he'll be a above average QB just below elite status. At #3, getting a an above average pro would be a good pick

Disagree, Gabbert wasn't spoken about before he declared because no one expected him to. After his declaration he was touted as a high to mid 1st round pick who, like Bradford last year, has worked his way up the board due to positional value and workouts.

Thank you! Too busy to go find my own links to prove my point right now..

The comparisons people are making to Bradford are incredible. The consistency of accuracy isn't even close.

Bradford completed over 67% of his throws on 3rd down, Gabbert 44%.

Bradford threw twice as many TD's in 2008 than Gabbert did in his best year, more than 3X than Gabbert did last year;

In Bradford's freshman year, he threw a third more TD's than Gabbert did in his best year;

Bradford was first or second in the nation in passer rating, Gabbert was 5th or 6th in the Big 12.

When you watched them play, Bradford rarely threw a bad pass, it was on time, it was on the money, you didn't have receivers sitting around waiting, coming back to the ball, or diving. A guy with that type of accuracy doesn't come along every year. Its a gift. Its like watching a baseball pitcher nail the corner of the plate consistently. You sit back and say, "how the hell is this guy doing this?"

I can't say the same about Gabbert. Watch the Nebraska game sometime and see how many passes he missed. Even the Oklahoma game, which was actually a good game for him. He gets jittery and throws errant passes. That was REALLY apparent in the Nebraska game when they put pressure on him. He'll see a lot of that on Sundays. People act like he tore up the Big 12, when he was in fact, very average in a very pass happy conference.

I dunno, I have a hard time taking a QB at No. 3, who's best year in college, in the Big 12 no less, had one more TD pass, in the NFL, than the guy you want him to replace. If his ceiling is as high as people think it is, he certainly hasn't shown it to date.

You take a guy like that, you end up playing him early, and then you will start hearing the excuses. "Oh, he doesn't have the WR's, he doesn't have the line, he doesn't have the running game, we're running the wrong scheme for him".

We went through 3 years of this with Edwards. I really don't want to go through that again. Not with Gabbert at least.

i think its insanely funny people dont want him to QB the bills because of his hair and name. id like to see the hair and names of the people saying these things. im guessing they are bald and and have secret man crushes on him.

The comparisons people are making to Bradford are incredible. The consistency of accuracy isn't even close.

Bradford threw twice as many TD's in 2008 than Gabbert did in his best year, more than 3X than Gabbert did last year;

In Bradford's freshman year, he threw a third more TD's than Gabbert did in his best year;

Bradford was first or second in the nation in passer rating, Gabbert was 5th or 6th in the Big 12.

When you watched them play, Bradford rarely threw a bad pass, it was on time, it was on the money, you didn't have receivers sitting around waiting, coming back to the ball, or diving. A guy with that type of accuracy doesn't come along every year. Its a gift. Its like watching a baseball pitcher nail the corner of the plate consistently. You sit back and say, "how the hell is this guy doing this?"

I can't say the same about Gabbert. Watch the Nebraska game sometime and see how many passes he missed. Even the Oklahoma game, which was actually a good game for him. He gets jittery and throws errant passes. That was REALLY apparent in the Nebraska game when they put pressure on him. He'll see a lot of that on Sundays. People act like he tore up the Big 12, when he was in fact, very average in a very pass happy conference.

I dunno, I have a hard time taking a QB at No. 3, who's best year in college, in the Big 12 no less, had one more TD pass, in the NFL, than the guy you want him to replace. If his ceiling is as high as people think it is, he certainly hasn't shown it to date.

You take a guy like that, you end up playing him early, and then you will start hearing the excuses. "Oh, he doesn't have the WR's, he doesn't have the line, he doesn't have the running game, we're running the wrong scheme for him".

We went through 3 years of this with Edwards. I really don't want to go through that again. Not with Gabbert at least.

Sam Bradford played for OKLAHOMA his stats were INFLATED. Gabbert played at Missouri with no talent around him. Then we got some dude questioning his toughness because of his hair?? lol. Suh nearly ripped gabberts leg off and he finished the game. Hes tougher than Jay Cutler will ever be.

That's a fair assessment. However, I don't think we'll play him too early. That's what we have Fitz around for. Buddy Nix even said that he HOPES they land in the same situation that they had in San Diego, with Drew Brees and Philip Rivers on the roster. That's the ideal / best case scenario for everyone.

And yeah, if he doesn't play well, then we'll be making excuses for him. However, we'll do that with any of our QB's, because as Bills fans, we're always hopeful that the guy on our squad is "the guy."

I personally don't think that he'll fail - I think he'll end up being a great pro, hopefully even better.

To your other points, you're right. It's not fair to compare Blaine Gabbert to Sam Bradford. Bradford was a special talent, so any REAL comparison will make BG seem much worse. This is partially my fault, as I was one of the ones that brought up Bradford's name in comparison, so I'll give you a point there.

However, the main reason I brought up Bradford was in comparison to their offensive systems. They were different, but there are similar points. They both ran the spread - they both occasionally took snaps from under center - they both ran relatively complex systems that placed a lot of responsibility on the QB to make calls / audibles / line adjustments. The last point is the most important, I think, and shows that he can probably make the transition into the NFL rather successfully.

I don't care what he looks like but I do care what I see on t he field compared to Cam when have you seen Gabbert pull his team together or be together with his team talking things out? Even Locker I've seen do that I've seen Tyrod Taylor do the same. He just seems like he's too cool to get his team together to make a big play or put the team on his back. He's like the Diva WR who's not gonna go across the middle for the earned yards but will go bomb for the glory. THATS WHY I DON'T WANT HIM... I don't care if he name was Lance or Stacy or if he had a Red mohawk with a nose piercing or he cated like Dennis Rodman. I want the Bills to have a leader not a sufer bum...

I don't care what he looks like but I do care what I see on t he field compared to Cam when have you seen Gabbert pull his team together or be together with his team talking things out? Even Locker I've seen do that I've seen Tyrod Taylor do the same. He just seems like he's too cool to get his team together to make a big play or put the team on his back. He's like the Diva WR who's not gonna go across the middle for the earned yards but will go bomb for the glory. THATS WHY I DON'T WANT HIM... I don't care if he name was Lance or Stacy or if he had a Red mohawk with a nose piercing or he cated like Dennis Rodman. I want the Bills to have a leader not a sufer bum...

Again... where are you getting all of these conclusions?

And I'm not trying to be insulting or anything, but from reading this, it sounds like you're getting all this from his looks, and more specifically, his hair. If you could please clarify and state how / why you think this, I would appreciate it.

Would you feel better if BG got a haircut like this?

http://prosportschat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tim-tebow-haircut2.jpg

Again... where are you getting all of these conclusions?

And I'm not trying to be insulting or anything, but from reading this, it sounds like you're getting all this from his looks, and more specifically, his hair. If you could please clarify and state how / why you think this, I would appreciate it.

Would you feel better if BG got a haircut like this?

http://prosportschat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tim-tebow-haircut2.jpg

OK once again I DO NOT CARE ABOUT HIS HAIR. I'd go crazy if we had Tom Brady cuz he has skill and uses herbel essence hell I want Troy Palumalu wit all his pert plus glory LOL in a Bills uniform. So cut the smack wit the hair talk. All im saying is when have you seen him go out and GET the yards his team needed? What game? What QTR? When have you seen him get hit so hard he had to pick himself up off the ground and get back to the huddle? Show me some tape. He's the type thats not gonna do it he'll panic thats all im saying. He's not a competitor I can't be anymore clear than that...