Who is Blaine Gabbert anyway?

After the Gruden camp segment. It appears as B.Gabbert is ready and will be our pick at #3 if he's still there. . Cam Newton is not ready at all. But I would stick with Levi as our QB of the future, that guy can zing it better than any of these guys. . Coach likes smart qb's that can read a dee.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about potential...As a pure athlete he's exactly what you're looking for at QB...He's exactly what Chan is looking for as an athlete at QB...He's a perfect fit for Chan...He's REAL smart...REAL smart...He loves Football...He's gone to great lengths to talk to other QB's in the league...He knows what is expected of him up front and he's ready for it...He's a Leader...

Now all that being said he's a QB and all the potential and smarts in the world does not really guarantee success...But I think from the standpoint of what attributes you look for in an NFL Prospect QB Gabbert is a fairly safe bet to be a decent Player...We'll see though...Alex Smith went #1 overall...Who really knows? B-)

Also.. put Blaine Gabbert on Oklahoma behind that offensive line. If my memory serves me right.. Bradfords senior year was a disaster because a lot his offensive line left. Missouri has a huge drop off in talent from Oklahoma. Give Gabbert Chase Coffman, Jeremy Maclin etc. instead of TJ Moe and Wes Kemp... then he would be a "no brainer". I do not think Sam Bradfords skill set is superior to Blaine Gabberts at all.. Actually I think Blaine Gabbert's is more impressive than Sam Bradford.

I'm one of his bigger fans on this board, and have been reading up / trying to find as much analysis on him as I can. Much of what I know on him is from the TV analysts like Charlie Casserlie (form GM for the Redskins and Texans) and such, so it's all heresay. But still, it's something to go on.

I'll just go ahead and list what I know off the top of my head - and feel free to dispute / add to this list if you want.

- Has all the physical tools you want. Has a strong arm, is athletic, good size, etc..

- Was highly touted coming out of High School as one of the best "pro style" QB's in the Nation. He was heavily recruited by Jim Harbaugh.

- In college, he did take occasional snaps from under center. They practiced under-center plays every day in practice at Mizzou.

- His offense at Mizzou was complex. He was required to make many reads and was responsible for a lot in the offense. Audibles, protections, etc... pretty much everything that you would expect a good NFL QB to do, he had to do in college. He has the ability to make good pre-snap reads. After the snap, he typically had to go through several progressions to find his open receiver. Compare that to Cam Newton, Ryan Mallet, and Christian Ponder, who ran much simpler offenses that required really only 1, maybe 2 reads on each play, and weren't really responsible for much. It's like comparing how much control Peyton Manning has in his offense, vs the level of control Fitzpatrick has in ours (not saying that BG is going to be like Manning... but it's a comparison of offensive control)

- I like to compare him to Sam Bradford, mostly because while they both ran the spread, their versions of the spread were of the complex, "read the defense like a pro" variety. It's a big step closer to actually playing on an NFL offense when you're required to do that.

- While his stats in college weren't even NEAR that of Sam Bradford (who I think is the better QB anyways), a large part of it was that he didn't quite have the supporting cast that Bradford had at Oklahoma. Many people will point to the fact that Chase Daniels had a lot of success running the same offense in Mizzou before BG came along. However, the person-ell were completely different back then, and I expect, the offense was pretty different as well. Chase Daniels played on a very good team while at Mizzou. BG, not as much.

This is all for now - I'm sure I'll have more at some point throughout the day to defend my opinion from all y'all haters :).

Edited by Mr. ChumChums

Also.. put Blaine Gabbert on Oklahoma behind that offensive line. If my memory serves me right.. Bradfords senior year was a disaster because a lot his offensive line left. Missouri has a huge drop off in talent from Oklahoma. Give Gabbert Chase Coffman, Jeremy Maclin etc. instead of TJ Moe and Wes Kemp... then he would be a "no brainer". I do not think Sam Bradfords skill set is superior to Blaine Gabberts at all.. Actually I think Blaine Gabbert's is more impressive than Sam Bradford.

Gabbert is definitely a better pure athlete than Bradford...Bradford was awfully accurate in College though...Much more so that Gabbert...I know talent around them had something to do with it, but I still think Bradford is the better pure Passer...Arm strength is probably about the same...Right now I would take Bradford for sure...But in a couple years who knows? B-)

I think I'll cry if we pick him, but some actually like him. In all seriousness, what's to REALLY like at 3?

Compared to guys with big arms; Mallett or Newton, Gabbert has no major character concerns. As compared with guys with good character: Ponder, Locker, Dalton, Gabbert has better size & atheleticism 6'5'' runs a 4.65 40. Gabbert reminds me of a more atheltic version of Drew Bledsoe. The big question mark is how much of a leader is he and how committed to being the best is this guy? Since Gabbert's stats don't jump off the screen the first reaction is to think he sucks, but upon further review the guy can play. He is probably somewhere between Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. I personally think he'll be a good pro.

That said, I think Fitzpatrick can win for the next 4 to 6 years. We can always draft a QB in 2012 if Fitz implodes. I want Marcel Dareus and would settle on Von Miller. But if we were to knab Gabbert I think he is the safest QB in the draft.

2 surprise picks I'd be fine with: AJ Green, Patrick Peterson - the best players in the draft with HOF caliber talent.

Potential. He has prototypical size for an NFL QB. He has excellent speed and athleticism. He has elite arm strength. He is very intelligent and appears to have a strong work ethic. He's pretty much everything you would look for when evaluating a QB.

He does have flaws, however. He needs to have better pocket presence and awareness. And he must improve on intermediate throws.

With the proper coaching and the right situation, he can certainly develop into a very good franchise QB in the NFL. I'm not saying we should or shouldn't take him, but if we did, I think Gabbert would be coming into the perfect situation. He would have Chan coaching him up as well as Fitz mentoring him. Give him a year on the sidelines learning about the different nuances of the game and he could be something special for this team.

Or.......he could fall flat on his face and be out of the league in 3 years.

Edited by Bangarang

If Luck came out all the talk would be Luck and Newton. Gabbert would be a late first round afterthought likely lumped in with the Ponders, Kapernicks, Lockers and Mallets of the class.

I doubt that. I remember in some pre-draft articles, before Luck announced his decision to stay in school, there were some people talking about Gabbert being the #2 QB right behind Luck. And remember, most GM's and Scouts knew about Blaine Gabbert since early in the college football season (Buddy Nix said as much in his presser). The only reason we think that he's just rising up draft boards is because WE haven't heard about him till after the season ended.

So lets assume Cam Newton goes to Carolina at 1. Dareus goes to Denver at 2.

If the Bills pass on Blaine Gabbert and he goes #4 or #5, how furious would you be if he became a 10 year franchise QB for the Bengals or Cardinals. How bad would you feel if the Bills took Von Miller and he turned out to be a bust? I think you will feel a lot worse of not drafting that franchise QB than a LB turning out to be a bust.