dating etiquette question.

The Poojer

Skip the dating. Just put a $100 in the envelop and hand it to her. Tell her you would have spent that anyway so lets just have sex and call it a night.:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

What about the wine?

That could lead to an ethical dilemma. Do you then deduct $80 from the check and bring a nice bottle? :ph34r:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First date we went to a wine and tapas bar in philly(no way would i use a certificate on a first date)....2nd date i did tell her in advance i had a deal certificate to a new wine bar on south street and we should check it out...best thing about it is they took the certificate that i showed them on my phone and didn't use the number, so my account still shows it as active. We went to lunch last week, just a random place we picked while walking through the time...gonna meet her tomorrow afternoon for lunch, again in her area(south jersey), I have a certificate for a place there but haven't definitely decided on the place. I am gonna call her tonite to confirm details...we'll see, its good til august. I also have one for a brunch at a place out my way, and also 2 passes to a wine trail that i have to use by end of april....that one i have no problem using. Just not sure if using them alot comes off as creepy or cheap, but she has indicated she is frugal...almost to a fault..

yes she is very hot...way hotter than I deserve!

I was kind of hoping you would chime in! Thanks!

I'd agree with your instincts- probably not on a first date (although if prefaced, it's not a disaster) and probably not more than every few dates. If it's something she's into then cool, but I would be careful about it coming off as planning a relationship around specials instead of a cool coincidence that lines up with wanting to share time with her. IE still plan dates to share things that really interest you, going to favorite places, and not just what's in groupon the week before.

It seems like your doing this, so no worries. I'd just be wary of using them all the time.

I dunno, I find that kinda awkward on a first date. I'd rather do something active, like walk/hike, play a sport, go to a sports game, comedy club, small concert venue.

How about cooking a dinner together? If I ever found myself back in the dating scene I would suggest that.

How about cooking a dinner together? If I ever found myself back in the dating scene I would suggest that.

A definite yes. :thumbsup: Though I don't know if it's a good first date but after that, go for it. A man that cooks, or even tries to cook, is hot. :)

A definite yes. :thumbsup: Though I don't know if it's a good first date but after that, go for it. A man that cooks, or even tries to cook, is hot. :)

That is just it, i usually do not cook for a while. I do not want to put all the cards on the table and you have to have to the whole thing just reach stages. I usually try to go for drinks first in the evening, to avoid plans after and if it turns in to dinner then it works well... If afterward you go out for more or go back to her place (usually for me) then things are better yet...

If there is no potential then it is not worthwhile to hang around and you can end it at drinks, or dinner, or such and not feel too committed to plans so you can get out of there if you have to! Plus, I do not like to let girls get back to my place too easy or let them know where I live.

Is it acceptable to use living social, groupon etc, certificates on dates? You can't really hide it unless you talk to the establishment up front. I have purchased 4 or 5 over the last month or so, used one already. I am not going to plan each date around the deals, but when I see one for a restaurant that looks good, I buy them. Still learning the rules of dating after 20 years.

It's risky pulling out certificates on dates. But if you do and she's cool with it then it's a definite plus. Personally I would only use certificates after dating a girl for a while. Everyone is different though and you might very well find the right girl who appreciates your thriftiness.

As another poster mentioned, don't doubt yourself. Carry a smile and hold your head up and emit the attitude that she's lucky to be with you. Girls like guys with confidence. Even if it's quiet mellow confidence. Have some good dates Poojer and let us know how it goes.

If it's a girl you've been out with a few times it shouldn't matter (unless she's a complete B word). If it's a first date I wouldn't do dinner anyway. That's what every other guy does. Take her out for drinks or something fun in the area. My favorite is to take her shopping to help me pick out something. It's money :thumbsup:

Great right away she is controlling you. Smooth move.

That is an excellent idea IMO, assuming one can cook.

If you can't cook you go to a cooking class together. I taught one on making pizzas and they all had a blast. When everyone had their pizzas done I went around and have everyone tell us what state their pizza was shaped like because none of them were round.

Great right away she is controlling you. Smooth move.

Dude, it works on so many levels. First, the emphasis is on you and what you want. You're simultaneously valuing her opinion by asking for it, while demonstrating your independence every time you shoot one of her ideas down, and you can playfully tease her for whatever she suggests. It's also fun for her (what girl doesn't want to take part in a "make-over"), you're constantly changing venues, and you have something pertinent and dynamic to talk about other than what you do for work and how your sciatic nerve acts up in the winter. And the only money you're spending is on you, and if you still want to do dinner you can totally get away with taking her to the food court. I know of nothing better.

Dude, it works on so many levels. First, the emphasis is on you and what you want. You're simultaneously valuing her opinion by asking for it, while demonstrating your independence every time you shoot one of her ideas down, and you can playfully tease her for whatever she suggests. It's also fun for her (what girl doesn't want to take part in a "make-over"), you're constantly changing venues, and you have something pertinent and dynamic to talk about other than what you do for work and how your sciatic nerve acts up in the winter. And the only money you're spending is on you, and if you still want to do dinner you can totally get away with taking her to the food court. I know of nothing better.

Look boss this may work on queer eye for the straight guy but not for hetero sexual males.

1. what man goes shopping?

2. what man brings a woman shopping?

The good news is that these sites like ScoutMob (my fav), Living Social, Groupon etc are making coupons "hip". There have been a few articles recently talking about how the 20-somethings have become "digital coupon clippers".

With that in your corner, and in my experience, if you use the approach mentioned previously of "Hey, I saw a deal for this cool, new restaurant Ive been wanting to try on ScoutMob. Would you like to check it out with me?", then you really can't go wrong. Even with all the social status, gold diggers in Atlanta, everyone has been loving ScoutMob deals.

Agreed on maybe not for a first date, but anyone who would turn their nose up at that, you shouldnt be dating anyways.

Thank you ScoutMob! Sex at half the price!

I think you should frame it properly, so to speak. Call up the girl and say something like, "hey, I have one of this coupon things for so-and-so, and I thought this might be a good excuse to head over there and see if they're any good"....something like that. Frame it in advance instead of pulling that bad boy out when it's time to pay and, as Chef said, coming off like a cheap bastard. Then make sure you leave a good tip :thumbsup:

do exactly this all of the time. it works amazing, every time. I have successfully unloaded more free movie tickets that way.

All joking aside, ajzepp's is the best advice you are going to get on here. I'd just stop reading now.

My advice/thoughts: Just be yourself.. whoever that is. If it's a coupon clippin cheapo; then so be it. Why try to be with someone that you have to pretend to be someone else around? It makes no sense to me. Granted you don't want to completely let it all hang out on the first date.. .but it sounds like you're past that point. So, I say take the coupon....

that's not always a good idea.