dating etiquette question.

The Poojer

you're right about the dinner thing.

imo the best first date is still the movies. its kinda hard to beat that one. after a good movie both parties feel good and are usually up for anything.

here in so cal. the late night beach walk works like majic. after the movie of course. beach walk by itself... leave that one for the married.

I always thought that was the worst possible first date. You just meet someone and then spend two hours sitting next to them in silence; probably watching a terrible movie that one of you suggested.

Dinner is sitll the best first date -- you just can't order anything with garlic. Otherwise something outdoors during the day like a walk/hike if she seems like that type.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that was the worst possible first date. You just meet someone and then spend two hours sitting next to them in silence; probably watching a terrible movie that one of you suggested.

Dinner is sitll the best first date -- you just can't order anything with garlic. Otherwise something outdoors during the day like a walk/hike if she seems like that type.

I dunno, I find that kinda awkward on a first date. I'd rather do something active, like walk/hike, play a sport, go to a sports game, comedy club, small concert venue.

I'm just amazed that there are any women out there who would even TALK to you, much less go out with you.

:nana:

Philly girls are cool like that :) Pooj probably has a keeper on the hook.

she is a south jersey girl now, but a grew up a main line chick from media, i am hoping things progress, but my frigging mania keeps me wondering when she wakes up and realizes its me she has been seeing...

Philly girls are cool like that :) Pooj probably has a keeper on the hook.

she is a south jersey girl now, but a grew up a main line chick from media, i am hoping things progress, but my frigging mania keeps me wondering when she wakes up and realizes its me she has been seeing...

Not to generalize or stereotype here, but honestly man, girls from S.Jersey and SE PA are very down to earth, family oriented, straight forward, and real. When I lived there, I was going to school full-time and working full-time, all three semesters (incl summer). One of my biggest regrets was that I didn't spend more time meeting girls and getting myself out there, because I truly believe I may have met the right girl for me if I had. As pretty as southern girls tend to be, I'd take a Jersey girl and/or Philly girl any day of the week and twice on Sunday. There are always exceptions, but given what you said about your girl, you'll have a lot of fun getting to know her. And she'll likely be focused much more on who you are and the time you spend together than she will be on superficial things.

I don't know what you look like, but it sounds as if maybe you're concerned that she's a bit out of your league physically. I tell you what...that's one of the biggest differences between that part of the country and somewhere like here (Atl) or maybe like Cali or whatever: You see a LOT of couples back up your way that outwardly appear to be mismatched in terms of physical attractiveness. There are women everywhere who are into looks and money, or whatever else, but it's much less prevalent back up your way, IMO. You see hot girls with average looking guys all the time. They just aren't as much into that.

Perfect, I love mini golf! Except someone I know here didn't let me win. :P

I couldn't help it! I would throw a putt here and there, but you were sending the ball off onto the other holes for gosh sakes lol. You have to admit, that was a pretty cool course, though....you don't see many of them set into a nature scene like that.

Dinner can be a good date but it has a lot of drawbacks. It puts a lot of pressure on the conversation, it sets a very formal tone, and pre-sex behavior will be expected post-sex as well. I would only reccomend dinner if you have a great interest in culinary arts and are taking her along to share in an interest that you would be doing anyway even if she wasn't there (and communicate that to her as well).

Dinner also puts you in a catch-22. You either pick up a sizable tab and set yourself up as the bank/you're willing to pay for her time, or you go dutch and send the message that you're cheap and/or you don't understand social norms.

Wipe that thought out immediately. You're the prize and she's lucky to get to hang out with you.

Edited by Rob's House

Is it acceptable to use living social, groupon etc, certificates on dates? You can't really hide it unless you talk to the establishment up front. I have purchased 4 or 5 over the last month or so, used one already. I am not going to plan each date around the deals, but when I see one for a restaurant that looks good, I buy them. Still learning the rules of dating after 20 years.

Skip the dating. Just put a $100 in the envelop and hand it to her. Tell her you would have spent that anyway so lets just have sex and call it a night.:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Edited by mead107

nah i dont know. watching you eat for the first time...

could be a gross thing. plus lana doesnt approve of it either.

at least in a movie you could always try the "my arm needs to be stretched out sideways or it cuts off my arm circulation routine" no girl ever told me no to that. she would either laugh and say "you're lying silly" or just let me put her arm around her. then she was all mine! closed case!

oh wait, one girl did tell me no to that. at least i knew the relationship would NOT work. HENCE another reason to go to movies the first date.

Dinner can be a good date but it has a lot of drawbacks. It puts a lot of pressure on the conversation, it sets a very formal tone, and pre-sex behavior will be expected post-sex as well. I would only reccomend dinner if you have a great interest in culinary arts and are taking her along to share in an interest that you would be doing anyway even if she wasn't there (and communicate that to her as well).

Dinner also puts you in a catch-22. You either pick up a sizable tab and set yourself up as the bank/you're willing to pay for her time, or you go dutch and send the message that you're cheap and/or you don't understand social norms.

Wipe that thought out immediately. You're the prize and she's lucky to get to hang out with you.

very good points

nah i dont know. watching you eat for the first time...

could be a gross thing. plus lana doesnt approve of it either.

Lana would approve of it if you took her somewhere other than Taco Bell. Plus I like to see that right away....if a woman can't dine with some class, I always knew not to waste my time (unless she was super hot).

at least in a movie you could always try the "my arm needs to be stretched out sideways or it cuts off my arm circulation routine" no girl ever told me no to that. she would either laugh and say "you're lying silly" or just let me put her arm around her. then she was all mine! closed case!

oh wait, one girl did tell me no to that. at least i knew the relationship would NOT work. HENCE another reason to go to movies the first date.

And if that doesn't work, you can also try the penis in the boxcorn trick! :lol:

Lana would approve of it if you took her somewhere other than Taco Bell. Plus I like to see that right away....if a woman can't dine with some class, I always knew not to waste my time (unless she was super hot).

And if that doesn't work, you can also try the penis in the boxcorn trick! :lol:

in your method, you have to shell out all the coin JUST TO FIGURE HER OUT....

save your cash and try the arm stretch routine. i never tried the penis in the box routine. but it made me laugh. nice one.

save your cash and try the arm stretch routine. i never tried the penis in the box routine. but it made me laugh. nice one.

If you've already got the penis in the box I think you can forego dinner

I was already in 30s for much of my single years, so in most cases I wasn't too worried about a dinner check (and it wasn't like most of my first dates were totally blind).

i never tried the penis in the box routine. but it made me laugh. nice one.

Trust me, it works if you've got the right girl.

:lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

See?

Is it acceptable to use living social, groupon etc, certificates on dates? You can't really hide it unless you talk to the establishment up front. I have purchased 4 or 5 over the last month or so, used one already. I am not going to plan each date around the deals, but when I see one for a restaurant that looks good, I buy them. Still learning the rules of dating after 20 years.

My advice/thoughts: Just be yourself.. whoever that is. If it's a coupon clippin cheapo; then so be it. Why try to be with someone that you have to pretend to be someone else around? It makes no sense to me. Granted you don't want to completely let it all hang out on the first date.. .but it sounds like you're past that point. So, I say take the coupon....