Should an app that points out DUI checkpoints be illegal?

Fezmid

I didn't realize this article would generate such a response when I posted it -- but it seems like most people think the app shouldn't exist.

http://www.neowin.net/news/us-senators-tell-apple-and-others-to-remove-dui-checkpoint-app

I was rather surprised by that and was just wondering what people thought about it here.

I didn't realize this article would generate such a response when I posted it -- but it seems like most people think the app shouldn't exist.

http://www.neowin.net/news/us-senators-tell-apple-and-others-to-remove-dui-checkpoint-app

I was rather surprised by that and was just wondering what people thought about it here.

It's my understanding that here in CA they are required to post when and where the checkpoints arem. So if that is really the case that app shoild not be illegal.

It's my understanding that here in CA they are required to post when and where the checkpoints arem. So if that is really the case that app shoild not be illegal.

That's one of the common arguments if you read the thread on the post -- it's public information anyway and most places give you the ability to bypass the checkpoint by using side streets.

I can't say that I've ever seen a checkpoint in Minnesota, so I'm not sure if they're legal here. The article says that they're not legal in Oregon.

If we outlaw apps to pinpoints DUI checkpoints, then only outlaws will have apps that pinpoint DUI checkpoints.

Can't see why such an app should be illegal. Apple has every right to reject that app from their app store. But if somebody wants to write a 3rd party app and publish it on their own website, so be it.

That's one of the common arguments if you read the thread on the post -- it's public information anyway and most places give you the ability to bypass the checkpoint by using side streets.

I can't say that I've ever seen a checkpoint in Minnesota, so I'm not sure if they're legal here. The article says that they're not legal in Oregon.

I didn't have a chance to read your link. And yes they have to provide an out here to. I think it has to do with entrapment

Edited by Chef Jim

If we outlaw apps to pinpoints DUI checkpoints, then only outlaws will have apps that pinpoint DUI checkpoints.

Can't see why such an app should be illegal. Apple has every right to reject that app from their app store. But if somebody wants to write a 3rd party app and publish it on their own website, so be it.

Nothing is illegal for the right price

no! police checkpoints are unconstitutional and something i would expect in Burma- not the US. And now some think an app that gives that public information should be illegal. None are more hopelessly enslaved then those that falsely believe they are free

no! police checkpoints are unconstitutional and something i would expect in Burma- not the US. And now some think an app that gives that public information should be illegal. None are more hopelessly enslaved then those that falsely believe they are free

Yeah because getting drunk drivers off the road is a really bad idea. I think your weed is making you a bit paranoid.

Yeah because getting drunk drivers off the road is a really bad idea. I think your weed is making you a bit paranoid.

What makes you think that getting drunk drivers off the road for the safety of every sober driver out there is a good thing? Don't you understand that infringing on the rights of the drunk to drive is wrong?

Going back a ways I think that Washington was in the wrong to attack the Hessian outpost at Trenton. That wasn't fair because he knew they'd be sleeping off their New Year's drunkenness. Washington was a jerk!

I know in my area of PA they have to make a public notice that there will be a DUI checkpoint on such date, but don't give the location. We actually asked a friend who was a state cop and he stated that they don't even know where they are going until the time comes to head out.

I think that if a drunk can actually take the time to look up one of these checkpoints on his phone and avoid it, he's probably not all that impaired anyway. Then again, I don't have too much experience here, so I could be way off base.

Great idea. Still, censoring a app that is only relaying information is a terrible idea. In reality, how many drunk drives are even going to use this app?

I agree with getting drunks off of the roads, but no way should this be illegal. I run into these pain in the ass checkpoints quite a bit in my town and almost got rear ended at one this past winter. I don't like being harassed on my way home when I am not breaking any laws. If you are drunk and can take the time to check the location of the checkpoints on an app, then you can take the time to call a :censored: cab.

Really you don't need the app... Especially where I live... It is so damn flat and everything is a grid with the streets... Not that I drive drunk. You can see a checkpoint a 3 miles away. They do it here on the holidays for seat belts and "safety"... :lol: Yeah, fiscally restrained communities having cops work OT on the holidays "checking seat belts." :rolleyes: Where does the silliness end?

Great idea. Still, censoring a app that is only relaying information is a terrible idea. In reality, how many drunk drives are even going to use this app?

If you noticed I said earlier that I felt the app should not be illegal. I also feel that checkpoints are ok. Now having said that from what I've heard, at least when I lived in souther CA, those checkpoints typically didn't result in too many arrests for DUI seeing people do see them ahead of time and can bail out of them.

I think that if a drunk can actually take the time to look up one of these checkpoints on his phone and avoid it, he's probably not all that impaired anyway. Then again, I don't have too much experience here, so I could be way off base.

It doen't take much to be considered under the influence. I think that app should be that if you !@#$ it up while trying to use it the device sends a notice to the local police station where they can track you via GPS. :devil:

If you noticed I said earlier that I felt the app should not be illegal. I also feel that checkpoints are ok. Now having said that from what I've heard, at least when I lived in souther CA, those checkpoints typically didn't result in too many arrests for DUI seeing people do see them ahead of time and can bail out of them.

I know that while living in Buffalo, and down here in Atlanta, the police have officers setup at the checkpoints JUST TO WATCH FOR cars that quickly turn around or avoid the checkpoint, and then they go after them. Usually, the people who are in a hurry to avoid the checkpoint are the ones they are actually after. You're better off taking the 2 minutes to hand the guy your license and keep on rolling.

I know that while living in Buffalo, and down here in Atlanta, the police have officers setup at the checkpoints JUST TO WATCH FOR cars that quickly turn around or avoid the checkpoint, and then they go after them. Usually, the people who are in a hurry to avoid the checkpoint are the ones they are actually after. You're better off taking the 2 minutes to hand the guy your license and keep on rolling.

Unfortunately in CA those checkpoints don't take 2 minutes out of your drive. It's more like 20, even at 2:00am. But I would use them as someone mentioned above to avoid them when sober seeing I don't drive drunk. Number one benefit of living in a city.

Yeah... Maybe for DUI that works better... I would love if they go after me for a seat belt check... Because the belt will be on. I am not anti-seat belts, they work... I am just anti-seat belt law. In Illinois there is such a double standard... Seat belt law and kids in car seats to 8 years old... Yet, on a motorcycle... No helmet law... Not even for a child on back.

Isn't this basically the same issue that some states have with radar detectors? Essentially you're circumventing law enforcement.

Think about it from a different perspective. If you're out for a nice drive with your family on Saturday, maybe heading out to dinner, do your really want to risk getting creamed by some hammered moron. Especially if the idiot got drunk because he had an app?

Isn't this basically the same issue that some states have with radar detectors? Essentially you're circumventing law enforcement.

Think about it from a different perspective. If you're out for a nice drive with your family on Saturday, maybe heading out to dinner, do your really want to risk getting creamed by some hammered moron. Especially if the idiot got drunk because he had an app?

I get your point but life is dangerous and you could get creamed by an drunk driver anytime. An app that just shares public information should not be illegal. Ethical? Well that's a different story.

Have no numbers to back it up but I'm thinking the cops should be worrying more about people f'ing with their cell phones while driving. Have the feeling that is or will cause more accidents because there are way more people doing that than driving impaired.

Have no numbers to back it up but I'm thinking the cops should be worrying more about people f'ing with their cell phones while driving. Have the feeling that is or will cause more accidents because there are way more people doing that than driving impaired.

Good point! Isn't there a study about driving with cell phones... Even to an extent "hands-free." I think they conlcuded that the texting and talking (non-hand's free) is just as bad as being impaired.

If checkpoints are publicly announced beforehand (as I think they are in many places), it's a non-issue. If they're not...then they should be, because I sure as **** don't want law enforcement operating under a veil of secrecy.

"But think of the children!" Arguments to sympathy aren't arguments at all.

I don't know whether or not cell phones cause more accidents than DUI but I think it's safe to say that at any one point there are more people driving while on cells than under the influence. Except of course at 2:00am on a Saturday.

I don't know whether or not cell phones cause more accidents than DUI but I think it's safe to say that at any one point there are more people driving while on cells than under the influence. Except of course at 2:00am on a Saturday.

Either way, I think it's safe to say that most accidents are caused by advanced cases of stupid.

Good point! Isn't there a study about driving with cell phones... Even to an extent "hands-free." I think they conlcuded that the texting and talking (non-hand's free) is just as bad as being impaired.

If I remember correctly, there are studies out there that have texting while driving as being worse than being drunk. It's pretty much common sense since texting involves looking away from the road while the drunk can still actually see. I'm not sure how many have banned it so far, but I know a lot of places are at least looking into it if they haven't already. Those no cell phone laws have to be much easier to enforce than drunk driving. A drunk can at least disguise it but I don't know how you hide the fact that you have a phone in your hand.

Really you don't need the app... Especially where I live... It is so damn flat and everything is a grid with the streets... Not that I drive drunk. You can see a checkpoint a 3 miles away. They do it here on the holidays for seat belts and "safety"... :lol: Yeah, fiscally restrained communities having cops work OT on the holidays "checking seat belts." :rolleyes: Where does the silliness end?

they are not always easy to drive away from. but most times yes.

like you could make a right turn and find yourself stuck right in the check point.

i have also seen "easy to avoid" ones. like if you are driving straight and the check point is straight ahead there are signs telling you a dui check point is coming. 7-8 streets away(sometimes even MAJOR streets, not just side streets) where you could easily make a left or right turn to avoid the whole thing. if you get caught in these... you are really drunk.

to answer the op question. hell no. these apps should be legal. if you can search the app, use the app. avoid the checkpoint, you're probably ok to drive anyway.