Gailey is on to Lee Evans

Peter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously LOVE how Gailey hands out criticism liberally amongst each and every player when deserved. He doesn't hold back and is a no non sense coach that demands attention to detail. And if not you are pretty much of the team if you don't make the cut. Instead of all of these false hopes and dreams like Maybin and Whitner. Love him. Night and day from Jauron, and yeah, I know a lot of you feel the same way and probably think my words are obvious and do not need mentioning. But you wouldn't BELIEVE how many of my dumb friends I still have in Buffalo (moved) that think Gailey and Nix are just a bunch of dumb hicks that don't know what they are doing and that think they are just going to get fired in 2-3 years with out making the play offs. I'm sick of it. I am over joyed with Gailey and Nix. Really couldn't be happier.

But on to Evans. You are right. Gailey is on to him. Evans is a 1 trick pony. Run really fast and get by the defender and hope Fitz can get you the ball. THAT'S IT!!! I would like to see him gone for a 3rd to tell you the truth. Of course I would want something higher in value, but let's be realistic here.

I seriously LOVE how Gailey hands out criticism liberally amongst each and every player when deserved. He doesn't hold back and is a no non sense coach that demands attention to detail. And if not you are pretty much of the team if you don't make the cut. Instead of all of these false hopes and dreams like Maybin and Whitner. Love him. Night and day from Jauron, and yeah, I know a lot of you feel the same way and probably think my words are obvious and do not need mentioning. But you wouldn't BELIEVE how many of my dumb friends I still have in Buffalo (moved) that think Gailey and Nix are just a bunch of dumb hicks that don't know what they are doing and that think they are just going to get fired in 2-3 years with out making the play offs. I'm sick of it. I am over joyed with Gailey and Nix. Really couldn't be happier.

But on to Evans. You are right. Gailey is on to him. Evans is a 1 trick pony. Run really fast and get by the defender and hope Fitz can get you the ball. THAT'S IT!!! I would like to see him gone for a 3rd to tell you the truth. Of course I would want something higher in value, but let's be realistic here.

I wasn't thrilled with the Nix/Gailey at first, but I have really come to like Gailey a lot, for the reasons you mention. However, it remains to be seen if the Bills are "finally getting it right", or if there is going to be more of the same. They didn't improve in the win column, which is the utltimate way they will, and should, be judged. I think they are on to something, but the Bills haven't earned completely earned my trust yet...for me, the jury is still very much out on Nix as GM. He says lots of funny things and all, but lets see some results.

Maybe Evans hasn't been able to do much underneath, because when he goes over the middle, we don't have another guy to challenge the defense deep.

Fans always like players to be called out publicly, but it usually doesn't push the player to be better. Personally, I prefer to be challenged privately, instead of being publicly embarrassed. Shows how little fans truly understand about coaching,

here are Lee's stats last year as far as how long passes to him were:

Margin 0-7 21 287 13.7

Margin 15+ 6 150 25.0

Margin 8-14 10 141 14.1

If I'm reading this correctly, a large majority (21 of 37) were thrown to him less than 8 yards past the line of scrimmage. So much for only being able to go long. In the article I saw Coach Gailey say "He's been more of a deep threat," Gailey said. "I've got to get him to do a better job of becoming an underneath threat. I've got to do a better job of that."

Nowhere did I see him say Lee sux and is lazy.

Margin 0-7 21 287 13.7

Margin 15+ 6 150 25.0

Margin 8-14 10 141 14.1

If I'm reading this correctly, a large majority (21 of 37) were thrown to him less than 8 yards past the line of scrimmage. So much for only being able to go long. In the article I saw Coach Gailey say "He's been more of a deep threat," Gailey said. "I've got to get him to do a better job of becoming an underneath threat. I've got to do a better job of that."

I am looking forward to seeing whether Lee Evans can become a complete receiver and go over the middle. I do not think that the quick passes to the outside are what Chan was referring to.

Maybe Evans hasn't been able to do much underneath, because when he goes over the middle, we don't have another guy to challenge the defense deep.

Fans always like players to be called out publicly, but it usually doesn't push the player to be better. Personally, I prefer to be challenged privately, instead of being publicly embarrassed. Shows how little fans truly understand about coaching,

Adam, if you need challenged. There is probably a work ethic issue. If you NEED to be challenged privately, that is probably a personal problem. This game isn't a "behind the scenes" type of game anymore. If you can't take what coaches, personnel, other players, media or other fans say about you, then you are a weak individual. So fans need to know who is progressing and who isn't. That's good coaching. Especially when you can do it in a manner of not throwing that player completely under the bus. It's not like he's belittling these players. So relax on the fans don't know about coaching comments old school.

Edited by DukeyBomb

You're kidding right? Johnson, Nelson and Roosevelt didn't have any trouble getting open and catching passes from Fitzpatrick.

And the one year TO was here, he totally outshined Lee.....

Bottom line is, Lee is not a #1 receiver, and I applaud Chan for speaking up...

Adam, if you need challenged. There is probably a work ethic issue. If you NEED to be challenged privately, that is probably a personal problem. This game isn't a "behind the scenes" type of game anymore. If you can't take what coaches, personnel, other players, media or other fans say about you, then you are a weak individual. So fans need to know who is progressing and who isn't. That's good coaching. Especially when you can do it in a manner of not throwing that player completely under the bus. It's not like he's belittling these players. So relax on the fans don't know about coaching comments old school.

Fans understand more about the technical aspects of coaching than they did in the past, but they don't understand the other aspects as well. Players get called out enough in the media, without having the guy who oversees them calling them out.

I also stand by my previous comments about not sending our only deep threat over the middle- it is pointless. You need another deep threat to send Evans over the middle.

So is Chan setting the stage for an AJ Green pick at #3?

I want to laugh but don't want to insult. Was that a serious question? Because I doubt it to tell you the truth. He can't be that DUMB to think we should spend a top 3 pick on a position that we actually have some depth at.

Perhaps we can define public and private. Being challenged privately tells me that the coach has a one-on-one conversation with the player and telling that he needs to be better.

You can still be challenged publicly without this getting to the media/fans. I've never played organized football, but I would imagine that if you're being called out in front of your teammates, THAT would be pretty embarrassing...thus, quite motivating.

Edited by BuffaloWings

You're kidding right? Johnson, Nelson and Roosevelt didn't have any trouble getting open and catching passes from Fitzpatrick.

I am quite sure that Evans caught a few more passes than Nelson or Roosevelt did, and dropped many less than Stone Hands Johnson did. Also, getting open is only half of the reception equation-the quarterback has to throw it to you and half way accurate too.

So is Chan setting the stage for an AJ Green pick at #3?

If Chan and Buddy pick anyone at #3 other than a future franchise quarterback, they both will deserve to be working in the UFL with Marty.

Edited by billsfreak

In Gailey We Trust

Third worst team in the NFL. Didn't some say the same thing about Marv? And why didn't Gailey, who runs the offense, design more plays to get the ball in Lee's hands including underneath routes. This is just utter stupidity :wallbash:

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

I want to laugh but don't want to insult. Was that a serious question? Because I doubt it to tell you the truth. He can't be that DUMB to think we should spend a top 3 pick on a position that we actually have some depth at.

He's a solid citizen type like Patrick Peterson and Von Miller. I don't think it's crazy to think that the Bills would take a great player who has zero character concerns at #3.

If Peterson is off the board and the Bills are hell bent on having zero character issues, then Miller and Green are in the conversation at #3.

Edited by 1billsfan

I am quite sure that Evans caught a few more passes than Nelson or Roosevelt did, and dropped many less than Stone Hands Johnson did. Also, getting open is only half of the reception equation-the quarterback has to throw it to you and half way accurate too.

If Chan and Buddy pick anyone at #3 other than a future franchise quarterback, they both will deserve to be working in the UFL with Marty.

Johnson = 87 receptions

Evans = 37 receptions

So you're saying that the problem is Fitzpatrick wasn't able to throw the ball accurately to Lee Evans when he clearly hit Johnson all season long?????...LMAO

And Lee Evans didn't have trouble getting open in 2006 when JP was throwing it.

You don't forget how to get open. The offense has to be designed in such a way that the ball gets to your best WR. Ours hasn't been for a long time.

Hopefully Gailey will fix that.

Evans will excel in the slot... I think we will see him there more often this year, with nelson EASLEY on the outside.

fixed (with wishful thinking)

seriously tho - not saying they shld run a spread/4wide set exclusively but i am excited about the wr corps:

SJ13 and easley/nelson on the outside, scoe and lee in the slot.

i know i'm singing the same old song but that would create some interesting matchups w/ fjax or cj coming out of the backfield... and getting draws and screens.

man i wish coaching in the nfl was as easy as playing madden cuz i'd be the oc of the year

go bills!

If Evans is willing to go over the middle (as Andre did), he can really improve his game (Roscoe is completely willing to go over the middle, Evans should be as well). He has the opportunity to be become a complete (and much more dangerous receiver). If is not willing to do so, it is going to be more of the same. Defenses will continue to take him out of games.

Didn't you, like a lot of the rest of us, think the same about the number 9 pick last year about this time?

If Evans is willing to go over the middle (as Andre did), he can really improve his game (Roscoe is completely willing to go over the middle, Evans should be as well). He has the opportunity to be become a complete (and much more dangerous receiver). If is not willing to do so, it is going to be more of the same. Defenses will continue to take him out of games.

Roscoe? Can we send Boss Hogg and Daisy over the middle too?

I am sure they are more willing than Evans.

Until we get another deep threat, it is smarter to send Evans deep, to open the middle for our other WRs. Once we have another speed guy to open up the middle, I think Evans can be a dynamic weapon.

Until then, we won't be very good offensively.

I don't find this hard to believe. It's what we did last year after all. History does have a tendency to repeat itself.

Edited by reddogblitz

I am sure they are more willing than Evans.

Until we get another deep threat, it is smarter to send Evans deep, to open the middle for our other WRs. Once we have another speed guy to open up the middle, I think Evans can be a dynamic weapon.

Owens gave Evans that opportunity.

I agree. I don't see Nelson w/ his speed opening up whichever side of the field he lines up on however much we all like him. Keep him in the middle with Roscoe and let Chan find mismatches on slower LBs and smaller CB/S.

With that said, the man should be fluent in all routes--short or long--at this point in his career. Sounds like the prior coaching staff was fine with having Lee as a one trick pony. Also, I wouldn't object if Lee actually dove for a pass once in a while.

Chan calling out Evans??? I remember Lee catching all types of passes from every garbage QB's we had over the last 8 years.

The problem was that he was the only wr that could run a deep route and catch the ball consistantly since Moulds so he was cast in that mold. No issues when T.O. was teamed with him. I still trust Evans to catch the deep ball and score more than Stevie Johnson or anyone else we have. I'm sure a team like the Patriots or the Ravens would love to have a deep guy like Evans. Lee doesn't call the routes or the plays so Chan needs to incorporate plays for Lee to get the short opportunities but even on those plays some one has to go long and be believable.

Edited by VADC Bills

With our track record NOTHING would suprise me. You could make an argument that he is best player available. (Just to clear things up this isnt what I want at all). I am envious that a more complete team will more likely take him as a luxary pick, one we unfortunately cant afford to pick.

Being AJ Green, I dont know why it left out the first half of the reply.

Being AJ Green, I dont know why it left out the first half of the reply.

Johnson = 87 receptions

Evans = 37 receptions

So you're saying that the problem is Fitzpatrick wasn't able to throw the ball accurately to Lee Evans when he clearly hit Johnson all season long?????...LMAO

First off, if anyone actually read the article, Gailey said that he has to be better at getting Evans to be a better underneath threat...he didnt exactly just throw Evans under the bus, I mean Gailey took responsibility in how he used Evans last year. I mean come on, its not like they call underneath routes for Evans in game and Evans just refuses to run them...dont get me wrong, Evans needs to get better in that area himself too, but Gailey took responsibility in this as well.

Second...You just throw up those stats as if its so black and white. First off, Evans was doubled the whole season, even after Johnson started getting targets. Teams were FAR less scared of SJ than Evans and let SJ run in single coverage a lot, even covered by LB's at times...when was the last time you say a LB cover Evans? Not to mention, SJ was often a big benefactor of meaningless stats at the end of games when the game was all but over. Often, he was literally invisible the whole game and then in the last drive or two of a bad loss he gets like 5 receptions and a TD making his stat line look decent for the game even though he was a complete non factor.

That brings up another point...I have never seen a fan base who value meaningless stats as much as this fan base does in any sport. When I say menaingless, I am referring stats accrued during meaningless points of a game, preseason, or fluke games that make the season look more productive as a whole rather than what it really was. Fitz and SJ are classic cases of this. I mean Half of Fitz TD's came in the first 4 games, 3 of which were bad losses and he got a junk TD at the end of each, and the fluke 4 TD game in Balt.

He only had 2 TD passes or more twice more the rest of the season, and one of those was the fluke Cincy game where he was atrocious until BOTH starting safeties got knocked out and Cincy handed us the game on a silver platter. He had far fewer good games than bad games, but all I keep hearing about is his mirage of a TD total while ignoring how bad he is ranked in every important QB statisical category, including throwing the 9th most INTs despite only playing 13 games (and about a dozen more thrown right into the chest of defenders who flat out dropped them...not tipped, just thrown right into their hands).

This reminds me of these fools who hype up players at the combine becuase of some great stats in some athletic drills while ignoring the actual game tapes where they are not nearly effective week in and week out (see players like Gholston). Fitz gets his TD totals high because of a few junk TD's and 2 fluke games and everyone ignores how poorly he did in the majority of the games and key QB statistical areas like accuracy, turnovers, YPA, first downs, 3rd down conversion, QB rating, etc...all of which together give you a better insight to a QB. Same thing is happening with SJ...another guy whos stats benefited by meaningless end of game pads in bad losses.

Am I the only one here who wants a QB and other players that are out there doing damage and making plays while the game matters and is winnable rather than racking up stats at the end of bad losses or guys throwing game ending INT's, dropping game winning TD's, dropping drive ending passes for first downs, etc etc. I love how Fitz plays, but he wasnt very good this year...I like SJ's potential, this was just his first breakout, but he was not nearly as effective when we needed him as the stats seem to indicate unless you are playing fantasy football.

You know what, thats it...Fantasy Football! I think I just solved my own riddle...Bills fans have had to turn to fantasy football for any hopes of football glory and its caused them to value stat totals more than in game performance. That has to be it...

Ya, Lets beat up on one of our few good players. Did anyone think that perhaps Lee was never asked to run those routes and has consequently never polished that kind of route running? As another poster already stated perhaps he is the only significant deep threat we have? The only other guy that has that kind of speed is roscoe.

Maybe it is on Lee but I guess it's really peoples bias that makes them look at it one way or the other. If this is Gailey's direction I'll wait until this coming season to see if Lee steps up or if he is actually incapable or unwilling.

Isn't that the same trick Randy Moss used for years? How about Deshaun Jackson - that is all he does? Agree Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald are more complete recivers. However there is no point taking a point of strength and making it a weakness when there are so many others on this team. Evans, Johnson, Nelson, Parrish and whomever else is a nice group. Uses draft picks on defenders and another TE.

Margin 0-7 21 287 13.7

Margin 15+ 6 150 25.0

Margin 8-14 10 141 14.1

This is the polite way of saying that Lee is not a complete ball player -- and he is paid like a #1 receiver remember -- most #1 receivers are complete players. IMO, Lee is a number 3 receiver at best and Chan will be lucky if he can get him to perform like a number 2. I have been saying for several years now that once Lee signed his fat contract he laid down. Chan sees it "Lee needs to run better routes and more underneath routes." Time for Lee-baby to see the writing on the wall -- he will be benched next season if he doesn't step up. If Marcus Easley shows anything Lee will ride the pine. I can't wait.