Tank takes a jab at the Bills

John Gianelli

I don't get it? Why would it be funny that the NFL franchise hopefuls in LA think they can amke more money in the parking lot if the team they steal is the Bills?

one possible expalanation:

The Bills suck, therefore they will have a hard time selling tickets to the actual game.

Of course, this is also a jab at LA. They will not support a team unless its winning.

one possible expalanation:

The Bills suck, therefore they will have a hard time selling tickets to the actual game.

Of course, this is also a jab at LA. They will not support a team unless its winning.

That was my thought too, Cynical - that it's as much a jab at LA fans as it is at the Bills.

There is a reason the Rams moved to St Louis and the Raiders moved back to Oakland

I don't get it? Why would it be funny that the NFL franchise hopefuls in LA think they can amke more money in the parking lot if the team they steal is the Bills?

Because no one would want to see them play football. Think of all the "I just go for the tailgate" posts we hear. The "if they make the rules stricter in lot 1 I'm done" posts...

This team has devolved into an excuse to drink in a parking lot by a half empty stadium, I believe is the joke

That was my thought too, Cynical - that it's as much a jab at LA fans as it is at the Bills.

There is a reason the Rams moved to St Louis and the Raiders moved back to Oakland

LA Fans? I think you mean residents. Maybe it has changed since I grew up in SoCal, but in my experience the majority of fans for most sports games (with the exception of the Lakers--more celebrity driven thanks to Jack N)) were transplants rooting for the other team. My dad grew up in Wisconsin so we only went to a Rams game whenever the Pack played them (one time I can remember; his baseball team was the White Sox. My brother and I became Rams/Angels fans.

I think that's one of the reasons why LA was never able to support and keep a football team. Maybe it is a little different now that the transplants' kids root for the local teams like my brother and I did?

LA Fans? I think you mean residents. Maybe it has changed since I grew up in SoCal, but in my experience the majority of fans for most sports games (with the exception of the Lakers--more celebrity driven thanks to Jack N)) were transplants rooting for the other team. My dad grew up in Wisconsin so we only went to a Rams game whenever the Pack played them (one time I can remember; his baseball team was the White Sox. My brother and I became Rams/Angels fans.

I think that's one of the reasons why LA was never able to support and keep a football team. Maybe it is a little different now that the transplants' kids root for the local teams like my brother and I did?

The transplant thing is part of the reason, the other reasons are

1) Colieseum is in a crappy part of town, no parking and real hassle to get to and from.

2) The Rams owner just wanted to mobe IMHO.

I think the new stadium will succeed, because it will be new and fan friendly. I'm sure the trolley will service the new stadium and that would help a lot with getting in and out of the area.

The joke as I read it is that the ride is worth more (and worth keeping) than the Bills themselves.

With the roll-in field, the fans of LA can then play football themselves on a real field.

In other words: even though the team would make money, their not worth it. They can have more fun with the field themselves than watching the Bills. 0:)

Folks, please stop with the canard that LA fans didn't support the Rams or Raiders. The truth is, the Rams were wildly successful for decades, and the Raiders have never come close to matching the LA attendance numbers since moving back to Oakland. The reason the Rams left had nothing to do with the fans. It was all about holding up the taxpayers, which the people here wisely refused to do. So the Rams moved to Orange County where they got a chunk of the stadium revenue, parking, taxbreaks, etc. And they flourished there as well. But even that wasn't enough. So they went hunting for a city/state so desperate for a team that they were willing to give up ginourmous amounts of money to get them. The Sucker-In-Question turned out to be St. Louis which had lost the Cards to Arizona.

A key for Al Davis in LA was supposed to be the money he'd make from local television with blackouts. I know a little something about that as I was a bit involved in those plans. However, he was unable to sell out the 100,000 + seats at the Coliseum (quite a number of those seats were in Siberia, far, far from the field...the place was built for track and field after all) and the league refused to let him implement his plan to eliminate about 25,000 seats by closing off one endzone and installing new seats down on the ground. Remember, the league has allowed Buffalo, Jacksonville and some others to downsize their seating capacity. Because the owners fought the move to LA (and were defeated in court), I suspect they refused Davis as a punishment. Davis also was rebuffed in his attempts to completely take over the Coliseum. That's a byzantine situation as it is "owned" by the state, the county and the city, all of whom have reps on the Board, all with different agendas.

NOTE: Once Davis was gone, the Coliseum Commission did reconfigure the seating exactly as he once proposed. That's the situation now when you see USC play.

As for the neighborhood, the area to the north on Figueroa is gentrifying rapidly, with Staples Center, Nokia Theater, new hotels, and a bunch of upscale condo developments, restaurants, light rail service, etc. That's the area where AEG wants to build it's stadium. The gentrification will no doubt continue down to the Coliseum and USC campus over the next few years.

The reason the Rams left had nothing to do with the fans. It was all about holding up the taxpayers, which the people here wisely refused to do. So the Rams moved to Orange County where they got a chunk of the stadium revenue, parking, taxbreaks, etc. And they flourished there as well. But even that wasn't enough. So they went hunting for a city/state so desperate for a team that they were willing to give up ginourmous amounts of money to get them. The Sucker-In-Question turned out to be St. Louis which had lost the Cards to Arizona.

Ahhh but didn't you see the posts here saying that the REAL fans will pay whatever the team tells them to? Be it their season tickets while getting no value in return, merchandise including new jerseys even if the team hasn't had a sniff of the playoffs in longer than you care to remember, and drafts so bad for so long it is comical. REAL fans support their team always! They won't let a simple thing like a greedy owner stand in their way. I mean ... why let a little thing like being blackmailed ruin a good time? It is THEIR TEAM dammit!!!!!![/sarcasm]

Edited by CodeMonkey

The joke is the thrill ride will be more exciting than the Bills - so keep the ride in the stadium & let the Bills play in the parking lot. Carolina or Cincy & maybe Detroit would be just as solid as the punchline team.

Point to correct - Jacksonville is the only NFL team that was & has been allowed to cover some seats with a tarp to reduce the home stadium capacity. Buffalo has never done this. Due to construction of luxury seating, the Bills stadium has seen it's capacity reduced from 80,020 to its current level of 76-78,000 (not sure of the actual current capacity). They have never been allowed to just reduce the capacity to eliminate blackouts. Fortunately, there have been many local benefactors who have generously bought up remaining tickets for games so the blackout could be lifted - but the stadium capacity number was never lowered to eliminate the blackout. We had 1-2 blackouts this year & had 1-2 other games where someone bought-out the remaining seats so the blackout could be lifted.