Should Heads Roll if we don't make the Playoffs?

Glory Bound

I think we made a big commitment with Wannie. On the other hand , if you walked into my office with that additude you would be gone and many others would be at the door with big promises. Haste is waste. Give it three years and if the right people are in place now, we will know.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope not that would be stupid and all of this BS about having a plan would be crap. I think the coaches have a plan so Ralph does too and needs to keep with this group for at least 3 years. I don't think we make the playoffs next year but in 2013 we do.

You are correct, but I think most head coaches have a 5-tiered goal (1) Make the playoffs, (2) Win the division, (3) Acquire home-field advantage thoughout the playoffs, (4) Win the conference championship game & play in the SB, & (5)Win the SB. I think it would be a little unrealistic for Ralph to say, "Win the Superbowl, or heads will roll."

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well these days.

I agree, it would be unrealistic for Ralph to say "Win the Superbowl in 2011 or Heads will Roll"

I also agree that the ultimate goal comes with a bunch of milestones. Just like in business it should be "this is the goal, here are the milestones"

What I'm trying to say is I don't want the Bills to have "make the playoffs" as a goal for next year.

I think there are a bunch of teams that are trying to achieve "Instant Turnaround" by adding a heapin' peck of star FA, and it can work for a year or two if the coaching staff is able to inspire and control it. If salary cap and the CBA free agency rules continue, that's a hard way to build a winning team year after year.

Then there are teams that work hard to continually add and develop talented young players and if they add FA, they are a little bit "sleeper" or just filling in 1-2 key spots.

They are built to win and built to continue to win. That is what I want the Bills to build. At this point, I'm completely for they need to add some key FA if they are the right ones because I think they need to build a winning culture, a culture of players with the attitude they will work hard to achieve their goals and if they fall short they will strap it up and work harder. I don't think they have it so I think they need to import a bit like adding sourdough starter to bread.

Emotion doesn't make you winners. See NE, Indy with Dungy, Bill Walsh, Levy wasn't all that emotional either. Yes Rex Ryan is, but don't recall any type of ultimatums either. Rarely does an owner ever want to box a coach into a corner like that. For one thing once he starts losing if he knows he'll be fired at year end, maybe the last half of the season he works more at finding his next job. On a few occasions there's been rumbling of an owner giving the coach an ultimatum of win or else seems to rarely work. I'm with most of the other here, who feel if it was year four or so then maybe though I still wouldn't put anything in stone about it. But after one year woul be totally stupid to do that. Coaches are usually given three years, GM's are usually given at least two coaches which works out to 5 or 6 years.

I said, "for lack of a better term". Things are always a little edgy during the negotiating process...then once the deal was struck, we were BFF's.

Just trying to figure out the proper way to light a fire with this current staff. Gailey looks like a male librarian with his glasses continually peering at his play sheet...Jauron was Mr. Smug... I'm ready for some emotion from the top dogs. Maybe Wanny can bring it.

It's a good idea in theory, but isn't really in line with reality. Given a different roster - say a team like Miami - I'd say an ultimatum is in order. With a roster like Buffalo's, I don't care what coach you have - you aren't going to the playoffs and you aren't going to turn it around in one year. Period. Probably not two years, either.

Is it unfortunate that it comes to this? Is it frustrating to see years of mismanagement and poor drafting leak into a new regime's tenure? Yes and yes. But that's why you fire the other guys and bring new guys in. It would be really, really stupid to bring new guys in and give them two years to turn things around into a championship team. That, my friend, would be horrible mismanagement. You just don't fix years of blown first-round picks in a year or two. Doesn't happen.

The goal is to show significant improvement the first two years, and contend for a playoff spot in year 3. By that time the new Regime's draft picks and FAs are starting to pay off.

If the Bills take a step back and go 2-14 next year, that isn't improvement and you make a move.

Quite some time ago I had a frustrating few weeks while trying to negotiate a deal with my business. Finally, I had enuf. I scheduled one last meeting & walked into my opponent's office (for lack of a better term) & started the conversation like this, "I'm not one to leave ultimatums, but..." Well, he immediately interrupted me at that point & said, "Sometimes ultimatums can be a good thing...at least you know where the other person stands. Where sir do you stand this day?" Well guess what?..we struck a deal that day! My question is this, I know it's a different situation, but should Ralph leave an ultimatum with our current GM & coaching staff? "Make the playoffs in 2011 fellas, or most of you are gone." Would this approach up their game, or be counter productive? Opinions please....

Opinions please....

Pretty irrelevant to me anymore until new ownership takes over... but I still think any "new" rebuilding regime should have 3 years in this day & age to make the playoffs. The 1st year can be a wash, but you should start seeing true progress made during year 2, or you've hired the wrong front office.

Pretty irrelevant to me anymore until new ownership takes over... but I still think any "new" rebuilding regime should have 3 years in this day & age to make the playoffs. The 1st year can be a wash, but you should start seeing true progress made during year 2, or you've hired the wrong front office.

Well, we had the same owner when we went to 4 consecutive superbowls. I think it's just been a string of bad decisions, starting with the firing of Bill Polian. Hopefully, Ralph got lucky with Nix.

Chan was brought in to stabilize the franchise. Him and Nix seem to have a plan. the Oline is progressing nicely. I think they are a year and player away from being a great unit.

This year is not a playoff year, but more a 8-10 win campaign. If the team plays with the heart it did this past year, and there is a few more talented players added, then i think this is achievable.

2012 is when you hope you can start to really make a run, but the Bills are still missing the QB piece, which is huge!

Should Heads Roll if we don't make the Playoffs?

Nope. We are only one year into the rebuilding process, and we are still trying to fix the roster. I would like to see a winning season, and if we mke the playoffs, great! I just think we have too far to go to make a playoff run in 2011. (uh, we play in the same division as the Jets and Pats). By 2012, we better make the playoffs, or at least have a 10 win season...

I hate to set the bar low, but I am still expecting next season to be part of the 'rebuild'. I would say if the team continues to flounder in 2012, we should get antsy.

I hate to set the bar low, but I am still expecting next season to be part of the 'rebuild'. I would say if the team continues to flounder in 2012, we should get antsy.

we'll see how the offseason develops though.

Chan was brought in to stabilize the franchise. Him and Nix seem to have a plan. the Oline is progressing nicely. I think they are a year and player away from being a great unit.

This year is not a playoff year, but more a 8-10 win campaign. If the team plays with the heart it did this past year, and there is a few more talented players added, then i think this is achievable.

2012 is when you hope you can start to really make a run, but the Bills are still missing the QB piece, which is huge!

Tell me exactly who the Bills beat to get 10 wins next year. this I gotta see

The Bills were competitive against most teams, and 3 out of 4 non-competitive losses came against the elite teams of the NFL (Pats, Jets, and Packers). While the Bills' record should improve significantly next year, it's unrealistic to expect that they can jump to elite level and compete with the Pats and Jets. The only possible way to make the playoffs is if they are one of two AFC east teams to make the wildcard slots. That's extremely unlikely.

On a related note, using the Bills as a barometer suggests that the Packers and Jets will meet in the SuperBowl, since the Bills nearly beat both Pitt and Chicago.

With a complete change of offensive & defensive staff it takes more than 1 year to get every one on the same , especially when you walk into a situation like Nix & Gailey inherited from lame coach Jauron !!

They have personal like Maybin , Lynch , & a host of other below average performers to weed out & get there picks in place to turn things around .

Then there is the thing of turning a losing culture into a winning one all that stuff takes time so no way should heads roll after this year !! Plus they just picked up Wannstedt day before yesterday .

I'm a christian & believe anything can be done with faith in god but even god looks at the Bills & goes "these guys need help" so continue to send up a prayer on their behalf & don't expect the unexpected just be patient and have faith in the path that Chix is heading in !!!

Its an interesting question and your experience has been a good teacher it seems.

As far as super bowl that of course is the goal. The trick is developing milestones to achieve to get that ring.

You and your co worker needed to understand each other clearly and that is very important in goal attainment.

Our linebackers played very poorly at stopping the run.

Maybe Chan said "hey Demontie, stop the run or your done. " well.

But wholesale change and impatience mean sacrifice of the foundations for short term results.

We have had so much change and so little reward for so long. Lets watch for small steps all of them forward towards the true goal of winning the super bowl. the milestones are first putting a better team on the field this coming year and improving our record in the division, then playoffs.

I am going to attempt patience again this year.

But dammit George you better stop the run or well.. i will give you Demontie Cross' home phone number and you can hang with him!

Edited by 3rdand12