We'll Be Drafting Our Franchise QB This Year

Bangarang

That all sounds really great about Kelly, until you come to the realization that he had guys like Wolford, "House" Ballard and Kent Hull blocking for him. This current Bills O-Line does not have that. I think it's safe to say that comparing the 2 is not remotely realistic given the conditions each have played under.

I did not mean to compare him to Kelly, just that the injuries listed were minor and were injuries that other QBs easily overcome. I don't know much about Ponder but would be fine if the Bills took him as a developmental QB sometime in Rd2 or later.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what I have seen and read about Ponder, especially his intelligence, leadership and work ethic. I don't know if he

might go in round 1 and I don't know that there still might be better prospects on D or at RT at the top of round 2, but

based on what I know of him right now, I couldn't be disappointed with him in round 2.

As a UM fan who has rooted against Ponder, I can say that he is a pretty good QB who certainly has potential to be a good starter in the NFL. I would not mind the Bills picking him at all. I am just not sure which round would be best. I am inclined to think that the second round probably is too high for the Bills to pick with our current pick given that there is likely to be someone who can be an immediate impact player for us at the top (near top) of the second round.

Our 2nd round pick is #34 overall -- almost a first rounder. The Bills need to get an instant impact player here (like a DL, OL or LB) rather than roll the dice on someone like Ponder.

This notion that 2nd round pick (even first round picks), must have an "instant impact" is not realistic. Most rookies do not dominate and many show significant

improvement in year 2 or 3. For example, Hall of Famer Bruce Smith had 6.5 sacks his rookie year - good, but not special. As a 2nd year player he recorded

15 sacks - more than 2x his rookie season.

The draft is nowhere near the certain thing that many here want to make it out to be. There are lots of 1st round busts - even top 10 busts. There are also

lots of rookies who do MUCH better in their 2nd year. Go check the players chosen in the second round the past 5 years. Not a lot of "instant impact" guys,

but a good number of guys who developed into good players.

If I got a shot at a top OT in this draft at that 2nd pick.....I dont take a developmental QB there that may or may not pan out....

For christ sake...if we are looking for a developmental QB we already have on on the team in Brown.....who shows excellent arm strength and mobility......

Give me a RT that doesnt matador every other play

Exactly. And maybe a LT.

I am actually confident at every position on this line except RT.....and then there is the fact that we have injuries every fricken year and keep signing guys off the street to play for us.....

I think Bell has shown enough that he is the guy at LT....most definately as a pass protector now I hope an offseason will allow him to biuld more strength and get him away from being a "John Fina" type.

- Starting OL.....Bell, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, CARIMI (hey I can hope)

- bring in a decent swing linemen to go along with Hangman to provide decent insurance.

You guys will probably bash me for this, and it is really a hunch more than something I puzzled out - there are no signs indicating it would happen, other than he just seems like the kind of QB Chan and Nix will like a lot - and, I'm talking about McElroy. Yeah, he led the Alabama team to a lot of victories. He's played in a very good pro-style offense for what? 3 years? So he has experience, and experience winning. And, I saw him on television the other day, and he came accross absolutely intelligent and poised. I mean, this kid is just entering the draft, and he was virtually announcing on television, breaking down the upcoming BCS championship game. So, he's smart, collected, experienced, and has won a lot, and is NFL ready. He just lacks what we'd call elite measurables. I see him as a Chad Pennington-esque QB who will be a steal for some team in the 4-5 rounds. And, I wouldn't be surprised if it is us - oh, and we'll be coaching him, too.

And it won't be in the 1st round. We'll be drafting Christian Ponder in the 2nd round. This is exactly the kind of player that Nix likes. Chan will also be coaching him in the Senior Bowl and will fall in love with this kid.

He has everything you'd look for in a franchise QB. 3 year starter in a pro style offense. Very smart; graduated in 2.5 years w/ a 3.7 GPA and is currently finishing up a graduate degree. Good size and strength with very good athleticism. Strong arm capable of making all the NFL throws with ease. Can read defenses and go through progressions.

His draft stock was hurt because he played through injuries his senior year and has had a couple of surgeries on his throwing arm. However, if our doctors find nothing is structurally wrong with his arm and everything checks out, he's going to be our pick at the top of the 2nd.

Been following him and watching him since last year and this guy just looks like an NFL quarterback. He literally carried resurrected and carried that Florida State team. He just needs to be coached up and who better to do that than our very own Chan?

Well Gailey and co. will get a good look of Ponder in the Senior Bowl being he'll coach him. That said I don't forecast us to take a QB before Round 4. The one name that intrigues me the most is Colin Kaepernick as he is a four year starter, has improved his passing numbers all four years at school and is a duel threat as a passer/rusher. Also at 6-6 215 he has NFL size. Toss in he plays in the Pistol (an offense Gailey's run at the NFL levell). He might be a guy to look at as a development type guy like a Dennis Dixon.

Agreed. I think that he even got benched for the other FSU QB at one point.

Only when he tried to come back too early and when he did get injured. He was never benched for his play this year.

Thoner7, did you actually watch him play? He was one of the more mobile QBs in college football. I can't count the number of times he got a first down by himself. He really developed his accuracy this year and made mostly good decisions. Also, he plays in a close-to-pro scheme there, not the spread nonsense.

I bet they do take a quarterback at some point.

But how does that fit our current situation. We need someone who can step in if Fitz goes down. Its a Must.

How far along is Levi?

Heck we might have to keep Brohm because he knows the plays and the players etc till Levi is ready.

I wish we would wait till next year to get a qb.

But it sure seems they are keen on one.

Well Gailey and co. will get a good look of Ponder in the Senior Bowl being he'll coach him. That said I don't forecast us to take a QB before Round 4. The one name that intrigues me the most is Colin Kaepernick as he is a four year starter, has improved his passing numbers all four years at school and is a duel threat as a passer/rusher. Also at 6-6 215 he has NFL size. Toss in he plays in the Pistol (an offense Gailey's run at the NFL levell). He might be a guy to look at as a development type guy like a Dennis Dixon.

Kaepernick may have elite height, but he does not have anywhere close to the bulk needed. The guy would literally have to put on a good amount of weight and relearn pretty much everything to be somewhat successful in the NFL.

I have to disagree. Ponder looked completely lost for most of this season. He was hesitant and didn’t go through his progressions, really Losman-esq I would say. I also don’t this he is that physically gifted in terms of arm strength, mobility, or accuracy. He seems very very average, which is exactly how I would describe Fitz, expect Fitz is a smart gamer who can make his reads.

Ponder also got injured a good amount this year, and Imo it was because he couldn’t figure out where to throw the ball and took a sack (again like Losman). Bad QBs take a ton of hits. Its no surprise a guy like Manning can start for 10 straight years and not miss a game – he is good enough to find the open receiver and not take hits.

I struggle to see how he is any type of an upgrade. I also think you over value his draft stock, 4th round, and not with our pick.

Thank you for demonstrating your complete ignorance about Ponder. He's nothing like Losman. He was far from "lost" this season, and this season, his physical strengths were limited due to his arm injuries. His ijnuries had nothing to do with him taking sacks. He got banged up during fall practice and was never the same all season.

Notice: None of his injuries came after he got hit. They were non-throwing injuries, which shows that you don't have a clue about what the hell you are talking about.

Agreed. I think that he even got benched for the other FSU QB at one point.

No. the only time Ponder didn't play was when he was hurt. For someone who supposedly watches FSU enough to know about ponder, funny how you don't know our backups name.

And that is what we draft here John. I see us taking a qb to take a chance on in the 5-7th rounds, no earlier.

This draft is OT heavy and you can easily find a good OT in the mid to later rounds. However, in the 5-7th rounds you'll find QB's like McElroy who will be professional clipboard holders for their careers. We're looking for a guy to our leader for the next 10 years, not a clipboard holder.

If Sam Acho is there for the taken in the second round and we don't draft him over Ponder who will be there in the third then we are just not doing what Nix has been preeching that is "taking the best player available"

This notion that 2nd round pick (even first round picks), must have an "instant impact" is not realistic. Most rookies do not dominate and many show significant

improvement in year 2 or 3. For example, Hall of Famer Bruce Smith had 6.5 sacks his rookie year - good, but not special. As a 2nd year player he recorded

15 sacks - more than 2x his rookie season.

The draft is nowhere near the certain thing that many here want to make it out to be. There are lots of 1st round busts - even top 10 busts. There are also

lots of rookies who do MUCH better in their 2nd year. Go check the players chosen in the second round the past 5 years. Not a lot of "instant impact" guys,

but a good number of guys who developed into good players.

I'd be ecstatic if we got just 3.5 sacks out of Maybin his rookie year. Or even his second year.