Is it possible Spiller just can't learn how to pass block?

ShipUPride

All season, we have heard how good spiller is and keeps getting better from Gailey. Then, in his post season press conference, he mentions how he needs to improve his pass blocking. Is it possible that spiller would be the number one if he could pass block?

Is he unwilling or unable to pick it up?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All season, we have heard how good spiller is and keeps getting better from Gailey. Then, in his post season press conference, he mentions how he needs to improve his pass blocking. Is it possible that spiller would be the number one if he could pass block?

I prefer he improve on his running first, then his understanding of the offense, then his blocking.

He has a long way to go, but we haven't seen anything about 'unwillingness' IMO.

I don't think it's a matter of if he's unable or unwilling. I just think it's a matter of adjusting to the NFL. Guys are a lot quicker, agile, and stronger. It's something that he acknowledges he needs to get better at (as well as running inside) and I think he'll put in the work to do so.

You watch Bills games, right?

You see how if there's not a large hole he can explode into he immediately tries to bounce runs to the outside?

Yeah, that doesn't work in the pros. As a result, he'll typically have one carry for 14 yards and 5 other carries for maybe 2 yards.

So even if he were like a third tackle in pass protection, I'd say he wouldn;t be #1 simply because he treats the NFL like it's high school and he can get to the corner. The guy is not a good NFL running back at this point, period.

Blitz pickups are always the toughest thing for running backs coming in from college to understand, so no no surprise there.

Are unwilling or unable my only choices here?

I also wonder how that factored into other teams and their defensive schemes. Anybody have an idea how many pass plays were run with CJ in the backfield? Would his presence let teams cheat run because it was more likely Freddy would be in there on pass for his superior blocking? Or am I making something up?

I think he will get better at it, and I expect to see a lot of improvements and adjustments from year 1 to year 2. I don't think he wants to be a 5 carry/game 300 yard/year scat back, and I think his first season in the NFL will give him some clear things to work on.

come on man be real. the guy never did it in collage he is an amaizing athlete do yu really think he cant learn the blocking aspect about a NFL back,incredible!

I also wonder how that factored into other teams and their defensive schemes. Anybody have an idea how many pass plays were run with CJ in the backfield? Would his presence let teams cheat run because it was more likely Freddy would be in there on pass for his superior blocking? Or am I making something up?

I think he will get better at it, and I expect to see a lot of improvements and adjustments from year 1 to year 2. I don't think he wants to be a 5 carry/game 300 yard/year scat back, and I think his first season in the NFL will give him some clear things to work on.

He was in for pass plays, but on many occasions he motioned wide before the snap...taking away any thought the opposing D had of run/pass. He's limited right now, nowhere near a well rounded back. He's got to learn the playbook and figure out how to hit holes. Bouncing is OK if it's done sparingly but he does it too often. Let's get him an improved O-line & see what he can do with a year under his belt. For the team's sake he needs to get much better (including pass protection).

It's possible he is one of the dumbest players in the league. Blitz pickup is all about recognition, and dumb isn't going to get it done in that department.

I'm not saying it's fact, but the evidence is there. He had the lowest wonderlic score of all the rb's in the draft last year.

During the telecast of Bills at Dolphins, the announcers discussed that Spiller had told them he was having a hard time digesting the play call from the QB in the huddle. This was what, week 14? Maybe in week one that is something you expect from a rookie RB, but at the end of the season?? That's just stunning. Never heard of anything like that.

It's possible he is one of the dumbest players in the league. Blitz pickup is all about recognition, and dumb isn't going to get it done in that department.

I'm not saying it's fact, but the evidence is there. He had the lowest wonderlic score of all the rb's in the draft last year.

During the telecast of Bills at Dolphins, the announcers discussed that Spiller had told them he was having a hard time digesting the play call from the QB in the huddle. This was what, week 14? Maybe in week one that is something you expect from a rookie RB, but at the end of the season?? That's just stunning. Never heard of anything like that.

I don't think Spiller is dumb at all. I believe that he graduated in 4 years (not just stayed, but got a degree). That doesn't say

dumb to me, especially with the time demands placed on NCAA Div 1 athletes.

Hmmm, I'll bet that you never tried to pick up a blitz at the NFL level... Do you suppose that *maybe* the defense does a good job of disguising its blitzes? One or more

players fake that they are blitzing drawing the back's attention then another guy comes from a different position... How about line stunts or multiple blitzers, knowing which guy to pick up? Then add in that he has to process all of that in 1-1.5 seconds and decide who to block and get there or whether to run his route...

I am sure that it isn't as simple as you make it out to be. This is a common lament from coaches regarding rookie RBs.

HEY, CJ WAS A ROOKIE !!! Very few RB's out of college are adept at pass blocking. Thurman Thomas was poor as well and over the years, he became a dependable blocker in the pass game when needed. If he has the mindset and some God given ability, there's no reason he couldn't become a decent blocker.

Jim Kelly proved flat out that one can be dumb as a stump about real life and one can still be a great football player. The conventional wisdom tends to be wrong about many things but one thing it seems to pretty right about is that you need to see how a player performs over 3 seasons before you declare that player a bust based on one year of disappointing performance (or two years in Moulds case) or declare a player a football god based on a year's success.

It also seems pretty lame to draw conclusions based on what an announcer says a player told them.

I do not think that Spiller will ever make us forget about how Thurman used to do blitz pickup but even dumb players improve over an off-season (and or coaches learn how to compensate for any lack of skills at this use in the game.

He doesn't hit the holes hard either, much like Marshawn.

Well, he fits the bill to be a BILL! Mediocrity is our middle name.

For as little game time he had in the offense as the starting tailback, I find it hard to see where all the 2nd guessing is coming from. As a tailback, there wasn't a game where he was in enough to get into a rhythm, so when he did get a shot, he tried too hard to break it. With a stronger O-line everything would have looked better last year, so maybe in CJ's case we take a wait and see approach, he has way too much raw talent and achieved far too much in college to doubt him just yet.

Yes, they get reports on things like this, 21 on field check run first.

Reading an NFL defense which is far more complex and disguised better is very difficult. This is why rookie WRs also stuggle, in the NFL they have to learn to adjust their route based on post snap coverage rolls etc.

Think about it, these guys have played more football than almost all of us and they struggle to do it, its hard.

So lets not knock CJ or imply he's an idiot. He's learning how to adjust his game.

It will be easier for the backs to pick up the blitz when the line in front of them does their jobs better. We don't have an above average OT on the roster. Bell is average at best at this point, and I am not impressed with (insert name here) at right tackle.