Is it possible Spiller just can't learn how to pass block?

ShipUPride

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He can't block, he doesn't know how to run, and he has questionable size. I'll be surprised if he stays on the team past the rookie contract. Another in a long line of first round disappointments for the Bills.

I hope he turns it around, but I'm not expecting it. :blush:

He can't block, he doesn't know how to run, and he has questionable size. I'll be surprised if he stays on the team past the rookie contract. Another in a long line of first round disappointments for the Bills.

I hope he turns it around, but I'm not expecting it. :blush:

Once we get QB and offensive line sorted out, I think he will turn into a dynamic weapon as expected. A lot was thrown at him this year, including being on one of the most terrible teams ever.

I don't think it's a matter of if he's unable or unwilling. I just think it's a matter of adjusting to the NFL. Guys are a lot quicker, agile, and stronger. It's something that he acknowledges he needs to get better at (as well as running inside) and I think he'll put in the work to do so.

I agree. Learning to pass block is not a very easy thing to do when you are trying to read defenses pre-snap. Lots of times you'll end up on the wrong side of the QB and need to get across to make the chip. Not to mention that there is proper technique for blocking that DE or linebacker that happens to be your responsibility. The only worry I have with Spiller is the same thing that happened to McGahee. Remember when he was in college? He could run by anybody until he got into the NFL and bulked up in order to run between the tackles. I want CJ to be able to run between the tackles but I still want a burner.

It's possible he is one of the dumbest players in the league. Blitz pickup is all about recognition, and dumb isn't going to get it done in that department.

I'm not saying it's fact, but the evidence is there. He had the lowest wonderlic score of all the rb's in the draft last year.

During the telecast of Bills at Dolphins, the announcers discussed that Spiller had told them he was having a hard time digesting the play call from the QB in the huddle. This was what, week 14? Maybe in week one that is something you expect from a rookie RB, but at the end of the season?? That's just stunning. Never heard of anything like that.

I heard the same thing you did and thought WTF he doesn't understand the play call when Fitzpatrick is saying it in the huddle? That can't be normal, even for a rookie.

I don't think Spiller is dumb at all. I believe that he graduated in 4 years (not just stayed, but got a degree). That doesn't say

dumb to me, especially with the time demands placed on NCAA Div 1 athletes.

Hmmm, I'll bet that you never tried to pick up a blitz at the NFL level... Do you suppose that *maybe* the defense does a good job of disguising its blitzes? One or more

players fake that they are blitzing drawing the back's attention then another guy comes from a different position... How about line stunts or multiple blitzers, knowing which guy to pick up? Then add in that he has to process all of that in 1-1.5 seconds and decide who to block and get there or whether to run his route...

I am sure that it isn't as simple as you make it out to be. This is a common lament from coaches regarding rookie RBs.

When a player struggles to get playing time because of mental unpreparedness and says that he isn't comfortable getting the play call in the huddle from the quarterback at the NFL level and scores the lowest in his class in the wonderlic..............you just might want to consider that the man isn't that smart.

I heard the same thing you did and thought WTF he doesn't understand the play call when Fitzpatrick is saying it in the huddle? That can't be normal, even for a rookie.

That's why they mentioned it. It's ridiculous. His lament was that in college, they signalled the play in from the sideline. Presumably that gave him more time to think about it. Or ask the other players what his responsibility was or ????? I have NEVER heard of anything like that. The fact that he even told the announcers about his problem speaks to how clueless he is.

Jim Kelly proved flat out that one can be dumb as a stump about real life and one can still be a great football player. The conventional wisdom tends to be wrong about many things but one thing it seems to pretty right about is that you need to see how a player performs over 3 seasons before you declare that player a bust based on one year of disappointing performance (or two years in Moulds case) or declare a player a football god based on a year's success.

It also seems pretty lame to draw conclusions based on what an announcer says a player told them.

I do not think that Spiller will ever make us forget about how Thurman used to do blitz pickup but even dumb players improve over an off-season (and or coaches learn how to compensate for any lack of skills at this use in the game.

Jim Kelly wasn't the smartest QB ever but to compare him to a guy who can't even get the plays straight in his head in week 14 is ridiculous. To put it in perspective, problems with understanding the playbook didn't keep Travis Henry and Marshawn Lynch off the field. How smart do you consider those guys?

All season, we have heard how good spiller is and keeps getting better from Gailey. Then, in his post season press conference, he mentions how he needs to improve his pass blocking. Is it possible that spiller would be the number one if he could pass block?

Is he unwilling or unable to pick it up?

OMF-ingG - some of you people are nuts...how about he's only a kid who was rarely asked to do so - give him a chance....

You watch Bills games, right?

You see how if there's not a large hole he can explode into he immediately tries to bounce runs to the outside?

Yeah, that doesn't work in the pros. As a result, he'll typically have one carry for 14 yards and 5 other carries for maybe 2 yards.

So even if he were like a third tackle in pass protection, I'd say he wouldn;t be #1 simply because he treats the NFL like it's high school and he can get to the corner. The guy is not a good NFL running back at this point, period.

I agree with your assessment, generally.

I do think he'd get more playing time if he could block well enough to put the D into some doubt as to the play call. I think he'll be used more first in the short passing game.

He does have to learn to follow his blocks.

If you look at the 1964 Highlights, linked to yesterday's RIP Cookie postings, you will see some great pass blocking by a running back. When done right, it is a thing of beauty.

Lookie, Lookie, Here comes Cookie!

All season, we have heard how good spiller is and keeps getting better from Gailey. Then, in his post season press conference, he mentions how he needs to improve his pass blocking. Is it possible that spiller would be the number one if he could pass block?

Is he unwilling or unable to pick it up?

CJ will turn out to be recognized as bust next season. Too small to go up the middle and can't pass block.

Are unwilling or unable my only choices here?

Unable - Spiller is really pretty small could he block a blitzing corner? likely, a safety - some of them, a LB - he would have to trip him. DL? he would be a speed bump.

Unwilling? some pretty good running backs never blocked - Jim Brown and Oj Simpson are two of them, but Spiller is not OJ nor is he Jim Brown.

Spiller is a Scat back and a slot receiver. We may have drafted Roscoe Parrish all over again except in round 1. I would trade him for Starks or LeGarett Blount. I might even trade him for Marshawn Lynch. I would trade him for a decent Tight End. Did we really need this guy?

You guys are on a funny roll! thanks for the hee haws.

Spiller will have to succeed this year. May not be as runner though but he will have to produce this coming season, even if he does not become the BIG threat option he was touted as. oops

I also wonder how that factored into other teams and their defensive schemes. Anybody have an idea how many pass plays were run with CJ in the backfield? Would his presence let teams cheat run because it was more likely Freddy would be in there on pass for his superior blocking? Or am I making something up?

I think he will get better at it, and I expect to see a lot of improvements and adjustments from year 1 to year 2. I don't think he wants to be a 5 carry/game 300 yard/year scat back, and I think his first season in the NFL will give him some clear things to work on.

The fact that spiller cant pass block has been one of the most glaring weakneses for me all season. You would think that Freddy would be in on either big 3rd down plays or big passing downs. Actually it is the opposite, Spiller is in there, and I never have any idea why. It has become a pattern and everytime i see him whiff his block. I have been so confused by this all season

The fact that spiller cant pass block has been one of the most glaring weakneses for me all season. You would think that Freddy would be in on either big 3rd down plays or big passing downs. Actually it is the opposite, Spiller is in there, and I never have any idea why. It has become a pattern and everytime i see him whiff his block. I have been so confused by this all season

I think I've seen improvement on the blocks during the season. RB aren't supposed to block head-on, they'll get shoved on their a**.

Folks, there's a reason a coaching change and new system commonly take a couple years to come to fruition.

It's one thing to understand something in a peaceful room.

It's another to understand something well enough to pick it up in <3 seconds with a bunch of screaming painted fans making all the noise they can, knowing you have to execute in <30 seconds.

It's all going to depend on whether/how hard he works on it in off season.