Colts Coaching

Couldn't agree more, the SB teams where the greatest collection of talent in NFL History, coaching held tha tteam back, they should have won all 4 games if we had a better coach

Flame away Marv Levy lovers

i'll give ya Marv is over rated....but it probably would have helped more if the key players weren't immature alcoholics.

Why was that time out "strange"? I know Manning seemed upset about it as well, but it was apparent the Jets were moving into striking distance, time was running down, he wanted to conserve as much time as possible for Manning to have a shot at doing something to pull the game out...I don't think Caldwell is necessarily the best coach, but, he is something like 24-8 during the regular season, 2-2 in the playoffs, with two division championships in two years and one Super Bowl appearence on his resume. The Colts would be stupid to fire him, and I doubt Bill Polian has given it a seconds thought...despite all the talking head/idiots on ESPN, talknig out of their asses, just so they can have some "fresh take" on the NFL...

This is the type of thinking that has doomed the Colts to poor coaching and squandered potential for a decade. The division is the Colts to lose every year. They are an automatic 10-14 wins per season. Yet despite averaging more than 12 wins a season, Dungy's record in the playoffs was just 7-6. His Colts teams were "one and done" in 4 of his 7 playoff appearances. Spongebob Squarepants could coach this team to 10-12 wins a year--at least he's animated!

That team needs a new coach now if those fans ever want another SB ring before Manning is done. This is an easy decision.

Why was that time out "strange"? I know Manning seemed upset about it as well, but it was apparent the Jets were moving into striking distance, time was running down, he wanted to conserve as much time as possible for Manning to have a shot at doing something to pull the game out...

Seriously?

The Colts timeout was taken with 29 seconds left in the game, when it was 2nd down for the Jets at the 32 yard line. So they're looking at a 50 yard field goal at that point, which is no gimme.

It was Indianapolis's last timeout, but the Jets still had one left. What good does it do for Indy to call a timeout then, except to give the Jets more time to prepare their next play(s)? It was the worst possible decision to make. The Jets could run at least two more plays at that point, so if they wanted to, the Jets could just let the clock run down to nothing and give the Colts no time left for anything. But if you make them hurry up, perhaps they don't get to run the play they want, and they don't get the extra yards to make it a gimme field goal.

Absolutely horrible timeout call. Horrible. Could have cost them the game (although my guess is probably not).

Seriously?

The Colts timeout was taken with 29 seconds left in the game, when it was 2nd down for the Jets at the 32 yard line. So they're looking at a 50 yard field goal at that point, which is no gimme.

It was Indianapolis's last timeout, but the Jets still had one left. What good does it do for Indy to call a timeout then, except to give the Jets more time to prepare their next play(s)? It was the worst possible decision to make. The Jets could run at least two more plays at that point, so if they wanted to, the Jets could just let the clock run down to nothing and give the Colts no time left for anything. But if you make them hurry up, perhaps they don't get to run the play they want, and they don't get the extra yards to make it a gimme field goal.

Absolutely horrible timeout call. Horrible. Could have cost them the game (although my guess is probably not).

Not a bad timeout-as long as the defense doesn't give the Jets a 1st down. Say the Jets throw an incomplete pass. Now it's 3rd down with about 24 seconds left. Then they still have to pass to get into comfortable FG range. If the Jets are kicking after an incomplete pass, the Colts still have about 15 seconds left if the Jets make it & time doesn't matter if they don't. Wouldn't you rather have time left on the clock if the Jets make the kick? The problem was the Jets completed another pass which made the FG easy & with the 1st down they were able to make the kick with no time for Manning. The time out was the correct call, because the Jets HAD TO pass in order to get closer to a comfortable FG attempt. I've heard the talking heads on the radio say what you have. If they influenced you, you need to think on your own. If you came to the conclusion by yourself, you are just as wrong as the radio guys, who look for anything to debate when nothing is there.

Seriously?

I understand what you are saying, but you are basing that on "perhaps"...just as Caldwell did, in calling a timeout. There is "perhaps" the chance that the Colts defense, gives up a huge play, because they don't get the defensive alingnment they want. Sometimes a coach calls a timeout to slow things down for their defense too...to me this is the classic case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" How pissed off would everyone be (Manning too!) if the Colts lose by 1 point, and they go to the locker room with an unused timeout? Hind-sight is always 20-20.

This is the type of thinking that has doomed the Colts to poor coaching and squandered potential for a decade. The division is the Colts to lose every year. They are an automatic 10-14 wins per season. Yet despite averaging more than 12 wins a season, Dungy's record in the playoffs was just 7-6. His Colts teams were "one and done" in 4 of his 7 playoff appearances. Spongebob Squarepants could coach this team to 10-12 wins a year--at least he's animated!

That team needs a new coach now if those fans ever want another SB ring before Manning is done. This is an easy decision.

Sorry Mr WEO, your nuts on this one...unless Caldwell had some sort of "me or him" situation with Manning, there is absolutely no reason to can him. I am not even disagreeing that he may not be the best coach...you are acting like this is Norv Turner part 2 or something. Everyone says as Manning goes, so goes the Colts. Manning was one completed pass from taking his team on to the next round...having, arguably, the best QB in the NFL has never been a guarantee of winning a championship. The Colts are "right there" pretty much every year...why would you tamper with that? This is the playoffs, "game of inches" and all that jazz...nobody is going to win them all...

I don't know who'd they replace him with, but if they can get the right guy in there, I'd fire Caldwell in a moment. I'm not sure who that would be- I think you'd need to drag a Bill Cowher type out of retirement. Jon Gruden might be a good match there. I dunno.

But here's something - I think they need a new director of college scouting or something. Chris Polian might be botching his father's business. Look at these first round picks:

2010: Jerry Hughes, DE: 6 tackles as a rookie, no other stats. That's identical to Maybin's rookie year

2009: Donald Brown, RB: <300 yards as a rookie, less than <500 as a 2nd year guy. What we're all hoping Spiller isn't.

2008: None. The pick was traded for a second round pick in 2007, spent on Tony Ugoh, T. He was cut this year and couldn't beat out Erik Pears or Chad Rinehart in a tryout in Buffalo.

2007: Anthony Gonzalez, WR: Injuries aren't the team's fault, but his two healthy seasons were nothing special.

2006: Joseph Addai, RB: Mediocre, but by far the best of the bunch.

2005: Marin Jackson, DB: Replacement-level CB who had 4 picks in five years, wasn't tendered, and is an Eagle

2004: None - can't quite figure out what they did with this pick.

Before that, they were dynamite - Clark, Wayne, Freeney. But that's now a 7 year drought in the first round, during which they've arguably performed worse than us. It's hard to recover from that, even with Peyton Manning.

I don't know who'd they replace him with, but if they can get the right guy in there, I'd fire Caldwell in a moment. I'm not sure who that would be- I think you'd need to drag a Bill Cowher type out of retirement. Jon Gruden might be a good match there. I dunno.

But here's something - I think they need a new director of college scouting or something. Chris Polian might be botching his father's business. Look at these first round picks:

2010: Jerry Hughes, DE: 6 tackles as a rookie, no other stats. That's identical to Maybin's rookie year

2009: Donald Brown, RB: <300 yards as a rookie, less than <500 as a 2nd year guy. What we're all hoping Spiller isn't.

2008: None. The pick was traded for a second round pick in 2007, spent on Tony Ugoh, T. He was cut this year and couldn't beat out Erik Pears or Chad Rinehart in a tryout in Buffalo.

2007: Anthony Gonzalez, WR: Injuries aren't the team's fault, but his two healthy seasons were nothing special.

2006: Joseph Addai, RB: Mediocre, but by far the best of the bunch.

2005: Marin Jackson, DB: Replacement-level CB who had 4 picks in five years, wasn't tendered, and is an Eagle

2004: None - can't quite figure out what they did with this pick.

Before that, they were dynamite - Clark, Wayne, Freeney. But that's now a 7 year drought in the first round, during which they've arguably performed worse than us. It's hard to recover from that, even with Peyton Manning.

The Colts are both a testament to the impact a great QB can have and an illustration of the limits of that impact. I agree with you that mediocre-to-bad drafting seems to be catching up with them.

Not a bad timeout-as long as the defense doesn't give the Jets a 1st down. Say the Jets throw an incomplete pass. Now it's 3rd down with about 24 seconds left. Then they still have to pass to get into comfortable FG range. If the Jets are kicking after an incomplete pass, the Colts still have about 15 seconds left if the Jets make it & time doesn't matter if they don't. Wouldn't you rather have time left on the clock if the Jets make the kick? The problem was the Jets completed another pass which made the FG easy & with the 1st down they were able to make the kick with no time for Manning. The time out was the correct call, because the Jets HAD TO pass in order to get closer to a comfortable FG attempt. I've heard the talking heads on the radio say what you have. If they influenced you, you need to think on your own. If you came to the conclusion by yourself, you are just as wrong as the radio guys, who look for anything to debate when nothing is there.

The problem is you think the Jets "had to pass", which I disagree with. By using the timeout at that point, the Colts guaranteed they would not have any time left to get the ball back, assuming the Jets know how to manage the clock. A 50-yard FG is risky, but they had sucess running the ball all day against the Colts. So maybe you try passing once on 2nd down (but not necessarily), and then run it on 3rd down, forcing the clock all the way down to nothing before trying the kick since the Colts now have no timeouts left. You're almost guaranteed you're kicking from less than 50 yards, and in those conditions the chances are decent.

If they don't use the timeout, it forces the Jets to move more quickly, maybe not get off the play the want, and perhaps increase the likelihood of an incomplete pass. Problem is, the Jets had 2nd and 3rd down to play with, so the most the Colts get, even by saving the timeout for later, is maybe 15-19 seconds.

It's a moot point to argue, IMO, because I think the Jets still make the FG either way. But to say that calling the timeout there makes sense to save seconds on the clock for later on is just not right.

I understand what you are saying, but you are basing that on "perhaps"...just as Caldwell did, in calling a timeout. There is "perhaps" the chance that the Colts defense, gives up a huge play, because they don't get the defensive alingnment they want. Sometimes a coach calls a timeout to slow things down for their defense too...to me this is the classic case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" How pissed off would everyone be (Manning too!) if the Colts lose by 1 point, and they go to the locker room with an unused timeout? Hind-sight is always 20-20.

Sorry Mr WEO, your nuts on this one...unless Caldwell had some sort of "me or him" situation with Manning, there is absolutely no reason to can him. I am not even disagreeing that he may not be the best coach...you are acting like this is Norv Turner part 2 or something. Everyone says as Manning goes, so goes the Colts. Manning was one completed pass from taking his team on to the next round...having, arguably, the best QB in the NFL has never been a guarantee of winning a championship. The Colts are "right there" pretty much every year...why would you tamper with that? This is the playoffs, "game of inches" and all that jazz...nobody is going to win them all...

Not nuts!

Look, you have pinpointed the problem exactly. Manning is not the team's coach. As talented as they are and have been, they need a coach like everyone else--not some guy who just rolls out a ball and says "go to it". That's all they;ve had the past 9 seasons. Manning has lost in the first game 5 of the last 9 seasons--that's crazy bad.

They can't win them all, but they've only won one! Can you imagine the outcome with this much talent and Bellichick?

It may be debatable but it's a one-sided debate IMO. And the national media would agree with me.

The Jets' "similar" time out occurred with a lot more time left in the game. The fact the Jets called time out on the previous possession has no relevance to the bizarre timeout the Colts called subsequently when the Jets were driving. Different down and distance, different field position, different time left in the game. Different situation.

The problem with the Colts' timeout is that it didn't take into account that it was only 2nd down for the Jets.

There was no way the Colts were going to preserve time because the Jets had 3 downs left.

This ill-advised timeout by Indy only enabled New York to conserve their last time out. This was critical. As a result the Jets were able to run another play without any risk that the clock would run out. They could stop it with their one remaining timeout that they didn't have to use because the Colts stopped the clock for them.

And then there was that debacle of a post game press conference where an inarticulate Jim Caldwell couldn't cite any valid reason why he would take the timeout. "We wanted try to make them snap the ball as many times as they possibly could."

What?!?!

Finally, Caldwell apparently made a very similar error against the Jaguars in Jacksonville.

Peyton Manning carries that team. I'm not a Manning fan…I think he pimps WAY too many products…but I really feel sorry for the guy.

First off I'm in COMPLETE agreement that the time out against the Jets was absolutely retarded. It was their last TO anyway...it did nothing but HELP the Jets and could not have helped the Colts as far as I'm concerned.

BUT this was the SECOND TIME he called a TO to save time with less than 2 minutes left when the OPPONENT HAD THE BALL DRIVING FOR THE WIN! BOTH TIMES HE DID IT HE LOST AT THE VERY END!!!

He did this against the Jaguars @ Jacksonville and it was the most retarded thing ever, and sure enough the Jags kick a FG to win with 0 seconds left (had 3 seconds left when they set up the FG unit and had no TOs).

As far as I'm concerned this guy is THE dumbest most insignificant coach in the NFL. He's one of the worst there is right now. I don't care if they win that shows how good they could be. The D is better than most think and the O will always be dangerous w/ Peyton.

Fire the coach hire a better one and they get better.

From what i understand manning is the offensive coordinator, so that's probably good.

Didn't get the time out either, I thought punting it to Deseasn Jackson near the end of the game was a poor choice too.

Inability to convert on 3rd and short was killer. If Peyton had Dallas Clark I think they'd have taken the jets.