Colts Coaching

I can't help but think that the Colts are not that well coached. Is Caldwell actually holding the Colts back? He was outsmarted by Payton in last year's Superbowl and has made some questionable calls during this season including a strange timeout late in the Jets playoff game. Talent and your superstar QB can only take a team so far...

Comments?

I can't help but think that the Colts are not that well coached. Is Caldwell actually holding the Colts back? He was outsmarted by Payton in last year's Superbowl and has made some questionable calls during this season including a strange timeout late in the Jets playoff game. Talent and your superstar QB can only take a team so far...

Comments?

2 years, 24 wins including 10 this year with a M.A.S.H. unit. I'd say give him another chance.

Sounds like Bills during the SB years

Couldn't agree more, the SB teams where the greatest collection of talent in NFL History, coaching held tha tteam back, they should have won all 4 games if we had a better coach

Flame away Marv Levy lovers

They need healthy playmakers on defense. Bob Sanders is quite a talent, but he's only on the field for five minutes every season.

Further, their run defense is their biggest liability. That Tampa 2 defense is soft, with a light, but weak linebacking corps. When your safeties are your leading tacklers, you know you have a big problem.

Couldn't agree more, the SB teams where the greatest collection of talent in NFL History, coaching held tha tteam back, they should have won all 4 games if we had a better coach

Should of won the first one, in the last three the Bills small fast front seven got mauled by huge nasty Olines, and of course there always was the rumor that the Bills were 4-0 in the all-night week-long SB parties contests.

Comments?

This team has been inadequately coached for years. Few teams have been as talented on both sides of the ball--especially on offense---for the past 10 years. Look at Dungy's playoff record with the Colts.

No excuse for them not to have multiple SB rings with Manning.

They need healthy playmakers on defense. Bob Sanders is quite a talent, but he's only on the field for five minutes every season.

Further, their run defense is their biggest liability. That Tampa 2 defense is soft, with a light, but weak linebacking corps. When your safeties are your leading tacklers, you know you have a big problem.

Exactly.

This team has been inadequately coached for years. Few teams have been as talented on both sides of the ball--especially on offense---for the past 10 years. Look at Dungy's playoff record with the Colts.

No excuse for them not to have multiple SB rings with Manning.

I disagree. Manning is the one covering up the deficiencies on defense. And this year, they have been inconsistent both at the receiver position and rushing attack. But to continue being an elite team for years through a head coaching change is commendable. In my mind, they clearly need an infusion of talent on the D to get back to the SB.

In watching that game on Saturday, I was amazed by how the Jets and Colts were inverse mirror images of one another. Aside from the QB position (and Sanchez certainly can get better as he matures), the Jets are top notch from top to bottom. Meanwhile, the Colts are pretty much NOTHING without Manning. In fact, our very own Bills, I believe, are a superior team to what the Manning-less Colts would be. Talking about firing Caldwell at this juncture is silly, given that his team has won back-to-back divisions and is just one year removed from a Super Bowl appearance. However, he does NOT impress me as a gameday coach, and if (God forbid) Manning misses any time next season, I imagine that reality will set in for the Colts front office and fan base.

Won a SB in 2009. Won division in 2010 and lost by 1 point in playoffs with injury riddled team. Yeah, fire his arse! That's be smart.

Caldwell never won a superbowl as HC... Was it coaching that made up for the injuries this year or was it Manning carrying the team? I think most people will say it was Manning.

I disagree. Manning is the one covering up the deficiencies on defense. And this year, they have been inconsistent both at the receiver position and rushing attack. But to continue being an elite team for years through a head coaching change is commendable. In my mind, they clearly need an infusion of talent on the D to get back to the SB.

Nope--they had one of the worst D's the year they won the SB.

Also, your "inconsistent at receiver" argument is not convincing. MAnning won 4 in a row coming into he Jets game and finished the season with the second highest completion percentage, the most yards, the second most TDs and the most completions than any QB in the league. The lack of a running game has rarely mattered to Manning's offense. Anyway, over the last 4 games, they ran for well over 100 yds avg.

:rolleyes:

Geez...I have never heard this hypothosis before! :rolleyes:

Like a previous poster said, I might agree the Bills team that faced the Giants was more talented on paper, but the Bills coaching staff was outwitted, only slightly...if Norwood makes the kick, we wouldn't even be talking about it...so, the Bills did what they did, in that era, pretty well, while the Giants did what they did, in that era, a litttle bit better...it was that close. There is little to be ashamed of, IMO.

Now, the following three seasons, the Bills were outclassed talent wise, particuarly against the Cowboys, as much as it pains me to say it. I think the Bills could match the Cowboys and Redskins at the skill positions, but our D-line, could not match up with the 1991 Hogs, and perhaps, one of the most dominating O-lines in NFL history, fielded by Dallas.

Also, your "inconsistent at receiver" argument is not convincing. MAnning won 4 in a row coming into he Jets game and finished the season with the second highest completion percentage, the most yards, the second most TDs and the most completions than any QB in the league. The lack of a running game has rarely mattered to Manning's offense. Anyway, over the last 4 games, they ran for well over 100 yds avg.

IIRC, the Colst D was pretty bad that year, but seemed to find a much higher level of play, during the playoffs.

Comments?

Why was that time out "strange"? I know Manning seemed upset about it as well, but it was apparent the Jets were moving into striking distance, time was running down, he wanted to conserve as much time as possible for Manning to have a shot at doing something to pull the game out...I don't think Caldwell is necessarily the best coach, but, he is something like 24-8 during the regular season, 2-2 in the playoffs, with two division championships in two years and one Super Bowl appearence on his resume. The Colts would be stupid to fire him, and I doubt Bill Polian has given it a seconds thought...despite all the talking head/idiots on ESPN, talknig out of their asses, just so they can have some "fresh take" on the NFL...

Edited by Buftex

Comments?

Has he been Vince Lombardi, heck no, but you can't fire a coach who has his record after two season, including both seasons winning the division. This year, with all the injuries they have had, basically a new reciever every week, and they still were playing long after the Bills had their lockers cleaned out as usual. Second thought, fire him, maybe he would come here?

The fact that they did it once does not mean a solid D is not required to get to a SB. If your D is weak and/or your running game is weak (they finished with a #29 rank in run D for the season) a opposing team can capitalize on these holes. The Colts D could not stop a ~ 10 minute TD drive in the 4th quarter and the Colts were held to two FGs in the same quarter.

We may have to agree to disagree but I maintain that as great as Manning is, he cannot consistently do it by himself.

Caldwell never won a SB as HC... Was it coaching that made up for the injuries this year or was it Manning carrying the team? I think most people will say it was Manning.

Yeah, you're right.

Won an AFC Championship in 2009. Won division in 2010 and lost by 1 point in playoffs with injury riddled team. Yeah, fire his arse! That'd be smart.

Edited by reddogblitz

Are you high? They should have won the first. The second one they were buried alive against the Skins, just as Jim Kelly has said. They could have won the last one until Thurman fumbled and the momentum swung the other way, and how that is the coache's fault is unclear. Sounds like your typical unknowledgeable bias so often spewed on this board, this one obviously against the best coach this franchise has ever had, whose record speaks for itself.

Yeah, you're right.

Won an AFC Championship in 2009. Won division in 2010 and lost by 1 point in playoffs with injury riddled team. Yeah, fire his arse! That'd be smart.

Exactly, the Bills franchise could only be so lucky as to have those terrible results year after year.

:rolleyes:

Geez...I have never heard this hypothosis before! :rolleyes:

Like a previous poster said, I might agree the Bills team that faced the Giants was more talented on paper, but the Bills coaching staff was outwitted, only slightly...if Norwood makes the kick, we wouldn't even be talking about it...so, the Bills did what they did, in that era, pretty well, while the Giants did what they did, in that era, a litttle bit better...it was that close. There is little to be ashamed of, IMO.

Now, the following three seasons, the Bills were outclassed talent wise, particuarly against the Cowboys, as much as it pains me to say it. I think the Bills could match the Cowboys and Redskins at the skill positions, but our D-line, could not match up with the 1991 Hogs, and perhaps, one of the most dominating O-lines in NFL history, fielded by Dallas.

IIRC, the Colst D was pretty bad that year, but seemed to find a much higher level of play, during the playoffs.

Why was that time out "strange"? I know Manning seemed upset about it as well, but it was apparent the Jets were moving into striking distance, time was running down, he wanted to conserve as much time as possible for Manning to have a shot at doing something to pull the game out...I don't think Caldwell is necessarily the best coach, but, he is something like 24-8 during the regular season, 2-2 in the playoffs, with two division championships in two years and one Super Bowl appearence on his resume. The Colts would be stupid to fire him, and I doubt Bill Polian has given it a seconds thought...despite all the talking head/idiots on ESPN, talknig out of their asses, just so they can have some "fresh take" on the NFL...

Not to mention that Rex Ryan and the Jets took a similar timeout when the Colts where driving down before Vinatieri's kick that put them back ahead. I guess that means to fire Ryan too?