Gave this a lot of thought last night.....just

- Panthers.....everyone thinks that the panthers will take luck and maybe they will....but they have so many other needs on that team and they especially need defensive help. I could see them taking Bowers with that number 1 pick since they drafted Clausen last year. This actually could happen.

- Denver.....Its the Tim Tebow show in Denver. They have their QB and they are not going to send him back to the wildcat he looked too good towards the end of the season for that. Once again....Luck IS a consideration here but it really does not make sense because they took a 1st round QB last year who is showing potential to play well and lead the team. They also need defensive help here.

- Buffalo.....is is why you have a crappy season like this.....so that you have blue chip choices at your spot.

Buffalo has a chance to get luck without even having to trade anything. And if he is selected there is still blue chip defensive help on the board at the 3rd pick....not to mention a possibility of trading down....still getting a good defensive player or Cam Newton..and gaining additional good players....

Dont do anything.....just wait till your pick comes up and see what has transpired.

Unlikely to happen in my opinion.

Even if your theory stands up, the Panthers will trade down to get more decent picks and fill their other needs.

Some QB hungry team will be willing to sell their soul for Luck.

Are GMs free to start playing lets-make-a-deal now or do they have to wait until after the SB or some other date?

Edited by CodeMonkey

unlikely, but if Luck falls to three I say go for him. We have lots of needs but he would be a steal and we only have ONE qb on the roster for next year. We can address the o-line and d-line in rounds 2, 3 and 4. Either that or 3 would suddenly become an EXTREMELY valuable trade down item and we might pick up another two and a one for next year from a team hungry enough. It would be a wonderful spot to be put in.

- Panthers.....everyone thinks that the panthers will take luck and maybe they will....but they have so many other needs on that team and they especially need defensive help. I could see them taking Bowers with that number 1 pick since they drafted Clausen last year. This actually could happen.

- Denver.....Its the Tim Tebow show in Denver. They have their QB and they are not going to send him back to the wildcat he looked too good towards the end of the season for that. Once again....Luck IS a consideration here but it really does not make sense because they took a 1st round QB last year who is showing potential to play well and lead the team. They also need defensive help here.

- Buffalo.....is is why you have a crappy season like this.....so that you have blue chip choices at your spot.

Buffalo has a chance to get luck without even having to trade anything. And if he is selected there is still blue chip defensive help on the board at the 3rd pick....not to mention a possibility of trading down....still getting a good defensive player or Cam Newton..and gaining additional good players....

Dont do anything.....just wait till your pick comes up and see what has transpired.

This is possible. They said last night that Carolina's owner really likes Clausen and is happy w him for now and wouldn't spend the #1 on another QB. They also said that Elway is a huge Tebow guy and now that he has his position in Denver, the only thing from Stanford he wants is Harbaugh. This would leave Luck there at number 3 for Buffalo, so the Bills could go ahead and draft another DB.

Maybe the Panthers will be in the mood to deal the #1 since they traded their #2 pick (33 overall) to the dreaded Patriots for Armanti Edwards. They, like the Bills, have lots of needs. The Bills better at least hold discussions on getting Luck(y).

So John, should I close your thread from yesterday that was about moving up?

Any organization that would stake its future on Jimmy Clausen when Luck is there for the taking should have its head examined.

That's a tough statement to refute.

Maybe the Panthers will be in the mood to deal the #1 since they traded their #2 pick (33 overall) to the dreaded Patriots for Armanti Edwards. They, like the Bills, have lots of needs. The Bills better at least hold discussions on getting Luck(y).

This is most likely our only shot at getting luck. We would have to give Carolina our 1st, 2nd and most likely 3rd or possibly the 1st in 2012 to get up to take Luck.

I have to say that I Luck is as good as everybody thinks, then any team that doesn't have Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees should be looking to trade up for Luck. Clausen and Tebow are reasons to give us hope but they mean absolutely nothing. Not to mention both teams will have new head coaches. These new head coaches will want to bring in thief own guys, and a fresh franchise QB would be the way to draft. It could really be thv future of any franchise.

On that note, I say if Luck is there then you take him. If he's not there, you either think Newton or Mallett is your man and take them at #3 or you do your best to trade back to pick up some extra draft picks. Our team has so many holes it makes Swiss cheese jealous. I was at the Maybin draft and remember how much the Pats traded down that day. It really does make you realize why they have so many quality players even when thier starters go down. Thier entire team is basically filled with 2nd and 3rd rounders. That day the pats traded 2-3 1st rounders to acquire more picks. They ended with something like 5-6 2nd runders and 3-4 3rd rounders. It was jus silly. It seemed like they were picking every 3 picks for those rounds. It also gave them a chance to trade up once or twice to male sure they got thier man.

With all that said, if you think your man is there at #3 then take him. If there isn't a guy there that your in live with, trade at all costs. Keep trading back until you stockpile picks.

If Luck comes out, Carolina will trade back. A team will make the move. He looked so good, I am sorta hoping one of those teams is Buffalo.

I agree with you. But I doubt it will be Buffalo.

Then again last year at this time if you told me they were going to draft Spiller (or any running back) first I would have doubted you then too. :cry:

This is possible. They said last night that Carolina's owner really likes Clausen and is happy w him for now and wouldn't spend the #1 on another QB. They also said that Elway is a huge Tebow guy and now that he has his position in Denver, the only thing from Stanford he wants is Harbaugh. This would leave Luck there at number 3 for Buffalo, so the Bills could go ahead and draft another DB.

:lol:

John, I appreciate the optimism. I really do. But Luck appears to be a once in a generation talent -- and the Panthers are well aware of this... even if they are not interested in acquiring him themselves. As of today, assuming he comes out, he will be the #1 overall pick. Even if the Panthers are not interested in him, as you suggest, they know they can ask a king's ransom for some team to move up to get him. Think back to the Chargers in 2004 with Eli Manning and conversely what the Cardinals did to the Chargers in 1998 to move up one spot for Ryan Leaf. The only way I can see the Bills acquiring him is if they trade next year's #1 (and possibly more) in addition to their own first round pick this year to move up 2 spots. Personally, I would be willing to do that. However, I don't know if Nix and company will.

John, I appreciate the optimism. I really do. But Luck appears to be a once in a generation talent -- and the Panthers are well aware of this... even if they are not interested in acquiring him themselves. As of today, assuming he comes out, he will be the #1 overall pick. Even if the Panthers are not interested in him, as you suggest, they know they can ask a king's ransom for some team to move up to get him. Think back to the Chargers in 2004 with Eli Manning and conversely what the Cardinals did to the Chargers in 1998 to move up one spot for Ryan Leaf. The only way I can see the Bills acquiring him is if they trade next year's #1 (and possibly more) in addition to their own first round pick this year to move up 2 spots. Personally, I would be willing to do that. However, I don't know if Nix and company will.

They should, but it seems they won't.

Other things to consider:

Denver still has Orton.

How low of a 1st round pick would Carolina trade down to? Can't see them wanting to go lower than 5. So who else in top 5? Cardinals for sure. Bengals probably would want Luck.

DB ? no way, they will take the best available running back at the #3 spot.

the team i could see making the move would be arizona. that team is a qb away from dominating that division for years to come.

There's a Cincy fan thread that travels this same path. Buffalo has too many needs. Buffalo has Fitz. Buffalo will pass on this once in a generation talent . . .

There's a Cincy fan thread that travels this same path. Buffalo has too many needs. Buffalo has Fitz. Buffalo will pass on this once in a generation talent . . .

come on, HOF before he is even drafted? the guy is a nice talent but let's not hype the guy too much.

I have to agree with an earlier post - if Luck is all that he appears to be, someone is going to trade up to try and get him before the Bills, because it's obvious Buffalo would take him if he's on the board at #3.

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

Tom Brady was a fifth round pick......You don't get great QB's without good luck, and I don't mean that good Luck. This QB rant is the most ridiculous discussion I have ever heard. Draft him and watch every team gouge out our run defense, and then have this baby star kicked around like a soccer ball. Any blind man can see that the Bill's needs are on defense, in round 1, 2, and possibly 3. The only exception could be an OT in round 2, but I would prefer a DE at 1, a LB at 2, and a TE at 3. We can trade Lee Evens for picks, and we already have 2 four's. Like it or not, Fitz is the QB, and was already ordained by Chan, and it's the right choice. Fitz has the arm and the head for the job, and many of the great QB's have had less than Fitz. in both categories.

Stop wasting discussion time on this QB bull ****, and start looking at the studs that play in the D-Line, and LB positions. With Moats and Batten at LB, and Shaun Merriman possible, we are not far away from being a better team. Easley is already healthy, and he was the best new WR we had in camp, (until the injury occurred). We are not that far away from the playoffs, it's only 1 draft and a continuation of the way we played after the 0 and 8 debacle. Then the team played with passion, and almost turned the season around against the best teams in the league. It ended after Miami, but that was IMO, a good thing for the Bills draft position.

Look for the DE, LB, and TE in the draft, and build on what we have already developed this season.

Tom Brady was a fifth round pick......You don't get great QB's without good luck, and I don't mean that good Luck. This QB rant is the most ridiculous discussion I have ever heard. Draft him and watch every team gouge out our run defense, and then have this baby star kicked around like a soccer ball. Any blind man can see that the Bill's needs are on defense, in round 1, 2, and possibly 3. The only exception could be an OT in round 2, but I would prefer a DE at 1, a LB at 2, and a TE at 3. We can trade Lee Evens for picks, and we already have 2 four's. Like it or not, Fitz is the QB, and was already ordained by Chan, and it's the right choice. Fitz has the arm and the head for the job, and many of the great QB's have had less than Fitz. in both categories.

Stop wasting discussion time on this QB bull ****, and start looking at the studs that play in the D-Line, and LB positions. With Moats and Batten at LB, and Shaun Merriman possible, we are not far away from being a better team. Easley is already healthy, and he was the best new WR we had in camp, (until the injury occurred). We are not that far away from the playoffs, it's only 1 draft and a continuation of the way we played after the 0 and 8 debacle. Then the team played with passion, and almost turned the season around against the best teams in the league. It ended after Miami, but that was IMO, a good thing for the Bills draft position.

Look for the DE, LB, and TE in the draft, and build on what we have already developed this season.

The only thing I can say to this is if you don't think fitz is a franchise qb - you must take one if he's there. We are in the top 5 and might have a shot at the #1 qb in the draft. The dropoff in talent in LB or DE is not nearly the same as qb. If we pick at 10-12 next year we can still get an orakpo, ngata, Matthews, revis, type player on the D, we would be stuck with the 3-4 best qb in the draft though.

If you think fitz is the guy, then full steam ahead on D

Either way we are going to get a blue chip player of need at that spot.....and have someone already that we can use next year.

I feel like rolling the dice here is our best option. Then if Luck is there I try not to trip on my way to the podium.

um....a blue chipper will be there at that spot.

Now....whether or not the Bills actually take one, or screw the pooch on another jaw-dropping clunker remains to be seen.

I think we should trade down and get as many picks as possible. But If Luck is there we should take him.

Lots of picks is a good thing if you're Belichick and can plug round pegs in round holes. The Bills have not demonstrated that ability to a great degree in the past.

DB ? no way, they will take the best available running back at the #3 spot.

"Buffalo Bills Homicide Hotline"

"If the Bills draft an RB, CB, or WR at #3, I'm going to hunt down Nix and Modrak and drown them both in a vat of Reed's Over the Middle All-Purpose Sauce"

"Here, let me lend you a hand with that"

"Aren't you supposed to be helping me?"

"Eh, it's Modrak"

Either way we are going to get a blue chip player of need at that spot.....and have someone already that we can use next year.

I feel like rolling the dice here is our best option. Then if Luck is there I try not to trip on my way to the podium.

What if, IF, Luck is there at # 3 and Buffalo doesn't take him?

:o

One would think IF the Panther do pass on Luck that some team might give the king's ransom to get to pick #2 to leap frog the Bills and take Luck. Perhaps a team like the 49ers who pick at #6 would be enticing to Denver as they could remain in the top 10 and get a quality DE or possibly CB they'll need and stockpile quite a few picks. Assuming of course VP Elway doesn't convince Jim Harbaugh to move to Denver. Of course Harbaugh might be better suited at moving to Michigan to coach the Wolverines as sure they'd pay him more than an NFL team would especially since he won't have Luck as his QB. Granted with reports that Denard Robinson wouldn't stay at Michigan if he loses his HC might mean Harbaugh is better off going to the NFL.